Home
Posted By: Peters Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
If you where to build your perfect dangerous game rifle what action and configuration would you run. Thanks
Posted By: ingwe Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Mauser 98..."A" model style, with the minor alterations needed to make it a .375 H&H..

Simple...

Next question? grin
Posted By: 91xlt Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
REDNECK's building mine as we speak...

Win M70 Classic SS, SS Lilja #5 tube, a hair over 22", NECG Irons, McMillan Echols Legend stock, Luppy 2.5 Heavy Duplex in QD Talleys

chambered in 416 Rem Mag

as INGWE said...Next Question?...LOL
Posted By: Peters Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Seems control round would be the overwhelming favorite and reliable although I have had no real issues with push feed, of course it is not a real issue until something decides to make it a real issue.
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Why build one CZ 458 Lott, add a scope if you want!
Originally Posted by Peters
Seems control round would be the overwhelming favorite and reliable although I have had no real issues with push feed,....

Start mentioning stuff like that and this thread will go 50+ nasty pages! shocked

I figure CRF cause if its good enough for the pros, it oughta be good enough for the tyros....and I like a decent M98 action after having used a number of them in a number of venues for a lot of years, without a bobble...
Posted By: bluesman Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
M98, .416 Taylor, DST, Redfield 2-7 scope. Got one now, use it a lot, darn thing is kinda like a pick-up truck. ALWAYS dependable and reliable but wouldn't drive one to my wedding.

Terry
Originally Posted by bluesman
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

Doooood.....we need to move this over to the optics forum and argue about optics... grin

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Peters Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
I have been known to stir it up once in a while. Nothing like a little friendly debate.
Oh...theres no debate...on the innanet..I'm always right..... grin
you guys got it all wrong...NUTTIN" but a fixed for a dgr! wink
Oh, NOW you've gone and done it..... wink
Posted By: Savuti Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
I'd want to shoot Harry Selby's Rigby just to be sure.

But I have a feeling it would do just fine.

Pete
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
If we're talking big bores, don't they start at 500 ?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MasterBlaster Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Originally Posted by Peters
If you where to build your perfect dangerous game rifle what action and configuration would you run. Thanks

Dakota 76 action in 416 Rigby or 404 Jeffries.
Posted By: temmi Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

Doooood.....we need to move this over to the optics forum and argue about optics... grin

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

Geez...

That is a big bull
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
I have built two amazing DG rifles. However there is a very big difference in this topic that is almost never covered. It's significant and maybe the most critical issue to decide upon.

There is a much different requirement to consider based on whether you want a DG back up rifle, or a Dangerous game hunting rifle. The best of each does not always work as well for both.

A scoped rifle you can shoot 100's or 1000's of rounds in practice with and surgically place your bullets to 150 yards is about as good as it gets for a DG hunting rifle. I have had a hunter in my Camp many times now use a 375 to take 100's of DG all species with this combination. He shoots it with Flawless precision and puts the bullets exactly where he wants them. I've never seen him lose anything, and he's taken more DG game then anyone I know outside of PH's and culling operations.

So as far as I'm concerned a precision rifle with a 2.5X8 in 375 with the TSX bullets is about the best combination of comfort level practice and lethal power.
-------------------------------------------------------------

As far as DG as backup then the 458 lott with a CRF Model 70 action, and rigid peep sights with a big opening in the peep, machined to a fixed position to maintain a 100 yard zero shooting the 450gr TSX at 2250-2300 fps has never failed to decide matters on anything I have shot with it, nor has it for anyone I know that has used it.

It's a real handful in recoil far exceeding the ability of many people. Bigger is great, but very few will practice enough with anything bigger then the 375HH or the 416 to really become an accomplished DG shooter at close range in charge conditions. And far fewer will ever get a second shot with rifles any bigger unless shooting a double rifle.

I have never seen a single man pass the PH course using anything bigger then the 416, and then only a handful have done it with the 416 ( that I know of or have seen)

So thats my opinion bang away and dissect it if you like. Everyone has an opinion!
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Originally Posted by colorado

[Linked Image]

If you're shooting any 500 bigger than a 500 S&W off the bench, you're more of a man than me....
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Why build one when you can buy one and just put a scope on it and be done. Just buy a box of shells with the picture of the animal on it you wish to kill then take the box of shells to the salesman and tell him you want a rifle to shoot these shells. Simple...
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Jim, a couple of slight deviations from your post; While I am totally on board with your choice of the CRF Model 70 in 458Lott as the real PH backup rifle, I would much prefer a shallow V rear sight than a peep. To me a peep is more of a precision sight and if memory serves me correctly, in John Taylor's opinion a peep could get you killed in a DG close charge scenario. There was an article I think written by our own 458Win (Phil Shoemaker) where they ran a low power scoped rifle vs open sights in close in DG scenarios and the scope won hands down. Also I know more than just a few PHs that have passed the PH exam at Rifa in Zim which as you know has the reputation of being the most rigorous of all. Just my thoughts..
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
On the left is my 458 Win Mauser that I built and have used for the past twenty-nine years
and the other two are my kids 375 Rugers.
If I were starting again and on a tight budget like most guides, I probably would go with the factory Ruger - especially with todays bullets.
But I still feel that a properly set up Mauser is THE BEST way to go.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

Nice buffalo! I've always wanted to hunt those.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Dang, Phil. Your rifle get run through a combine? laugh
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Jorge, agreed with the deep "V" for a factory built option. My peep was machined out of a solid block of steel and made for my rifle. I also have a "BIG" hole in the peep. I suppose it comes down to what you're used to, but for me the big peep was like magic to line up and shoot with. May not be for everyone, and certainly not as they come from some mass production Peep maker. I could drag my rifle through the dirt behind the cruiser and not get my sights out of whack, that Peep was a machined block of steel we fitted over many days at the range with trial and error shooting my handloads.

I do think your correct, and I completely agree with you. Unless your well seasoned with a peep of correct design, the V is the better option.
Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
I had heard that 458's rifle was the ugliest one ever on the innanet- seeing is believing. That rifle has some soul.
Posted By: btb375 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
What stories 458's rifle could tell---
That is a handsome piece
Posted By: hatari Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Those have bayonette lugs from an M1 carbine to hold the light?
Posted By: hatari Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Mauser 98..."A" model style, with the minor alterations needed to make it a .375 H&H..

Simple...

Next question? grin

More talk like that and people will think we're related. BTW, how is Mom?
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Great job guys. Awesome rifles.
Posted By: GregR Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Jorge,

A ghost ring sight like JJ is referring to is damn fast and much more acurate than a V. Peeps are slow, but a ghost ring sight with a big aperture is just the ticket for a backup gun.
Originally Posted by hatari

Simple...

Next question? grin

Not so good......
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
More than one way to get there as has already been demonstrated in this thread.

For myself, I had AHR build me a couple DGR.

.375 H&H
.458 Lott

Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
I really don't want to know what goes bump in the night by Phil's place, in that he needs a flashlight on his .458. I'm thinking taking out the trash is something done in the daylight.

I just picked a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger and am having the action and barrel channel glass-bedded, a second cross-bolt added, trigger tweaked by Roger Ferrel and calling it good. Have had a 416, 458 Lott, and H&H. Enough to know the Ruger will be enough for me.

Optics will be a 2.5x if i ever get across The Pond again or a 4x if i take it after elk.
Originally Posted by 458Win
On the left is my 458 Win Mauser that I built and have used for the past twenty-nine years
and the other two are my kids 375 Rugers.
If I were starting again and on a tight budget like most guides, I probably would go with the factory Ruger - especially with todays bullets.
But I still feel that a properly set up Mauser is THE BEST way to go.
[Linked Image]

HARDCORE & INSPIRATIONAL!!!
Posted By: maddog Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/18/11
Well, I was gonna stay out of this..... But, just so I can catch schmittt from you guys.... My son and I are taking Ruger no. 1s to Zim, this summer. Both are 375 H&H. We are hunting cpe buff, tuskless ele, and hippo. I'll let you know later, how we get along. But I'm not worried.....grin

maddog
Originally Posted by maddog
Well, I was gonna stay out of this..... But, just so I can catch schmittt from you guys.... My son and I are taking Ruger no. 1s to Zim, this summer. Both are 375 H&H. We are hunting cpe buff, tuskless ele, and hippo. I'll let you know later, how we get along. But I'm not worried.....grin

maddog

nice knowing ya laugh

i've heard of it being done, it's not for me personally...

your PH will love it grin
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Originally Posted by David_Walter

[Linked Image]

If you're shooting any 500 bigger than a 500 S&W off the bench, you're more of a man than me....

Just kiddin, figured I fire up the thread a bit more ...
Posted By: medicman Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
There you go again dangling that buff in front of me. There is something about him that stirs me up. I have my CZ in shape, and am working to get my knee back to African walkable. I am back to work in a work hardening 6 week program to see if I am able to do the job. Lots of pain, but progress is being made.

CZ 550 with NEGC aperture rear, feeds without flaw, shoots well with the original express sites but I will try the aperture and see if that works more better. If not I will have to go with the Vari X 3 1.75x6. To me it just seems wrong to scope a DG rifle, but many have done so wth great success.

Randy
Posted By: ingwe Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Randy...depending on where you are going to hunt, you may get in a LOT of walking after buffalo...we were in a sparse area buffalo-wise and logged up an easy 7 to 12 miles a day, and finally got a decent opportunity at that bull in the last 20 minutes of a 14 day hunt....
You learn quickly that you hunt buffalo not for the trophy...but to have hunted buffalo.....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
md: nothing at ALL wrong with a Ruger #1 as a DG rifle for a visiting hunter who is going to be backed. After all, isnt that what we ALL are? If I had a 105mm field gun, I still would want to be backed...use what you like and enjoy!

But for God's sake..lose the bubba buddy for the sake of decorum! grin
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Buffalo is a funny critter. Some hunts can end the first hour of the first day others last til the end with the hunter passing many along the way and then closing the trip with nothing.

On average we shoot bulls in 4-7 days, but that is not to say all are that way. I have had a hunter shoot 3 nice bulls in about 7 minutes! All died within view of the spot we were standing! Yet others hit darn good were tracked for a good part of a day, every step of the way nerve wracking!

I've also had hunters pass very likely 58-60" kudu while buffalo hunting, and we never see those Kudu again! The massive trophies always come out to play whenever you're hunting buffalo. Another great reason to use a 375HH with a scope. Those PG monsters that tease you might just cause you to give into temptation while standing out there taunting you!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Originally Posted by maddog

maddog

Selous certainly liked his single shots

Sounds like a fun trip - and you have the ultimate CRF rifle grin

When my son was working in Zambia, although he had a 470 WR double, he said the two buffalo he took to his own gun were with a Dakota #10 in 9.3x74

With a little practice it is amazing how fast one can load a #1
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Originally Posted by GregR
Jorge,

A ghost ring sight like JJ is referring to is damn fast and much more acurate than a V. Peeps are slow, but a ghost ring sight with a big aperture is just the ticket for a backup gun.

Greg: I was just relaying what John Pondoro Taylor wrote in his book. I'm not in a capacity to argue one way or another as my experience is limited. One further observation is if peeps were better, why the preponderance of Vs in DG rifles? jorge
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Probably simple British tradition.

Finn Aagaard was a big believer in aperture sights. He had peeps on both of his .458's.
md: nothing at ALL wrong with a Ruger #1 as a DG rifle for a visiting hunter who is going to be backed. After all, isnt that what we ALL are? If I had a 105mm field gun, I still would want to be backed...use what you like and enjoy!

But for God's sake..lose the bubba buddy for the sake of decorum! grin

Peronally I think they are ok for a client with a PH backing you up. Boddington wrote in his book African Rifles II that he used it once and would not do so again. Same for Pondoro Taylor. Also, I've written this before but I once watched scribe Larry Weishun take a full eight (8) seconds in effecting a reload with one of those HIDEOUS Thompson Centers in 416 Rigby whilst hunting Cape Buffalo. Critter took the first shot perfectly placed from what looked like fifteen yards or less and fortunately the buffalo turned and ran the opposite way at the shot. Had he charged, no way he would have gotten the shot off at that range. Something to think about. jorge
Posted By: maddog Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
The boy and I discussed the Ruger no. 1 with Martin Pieters[who we are hunting with], and Shaun Buffee, at length at the DSC convention. Neither had a problem with the no. 1, and thought the 375 was a great choice. My son and I will be hunting 2x1 on this hunt, and intend to back each other up, as well as having the ph there. Ought to be quite the adventure, and I'll tell you my thoughts, when I get back on Aug. 12.grin

Hey Ingwe....decorum my azz!!!grin

jorge, I have a copy of Boddington's safari rifles II. In one section he states that he's taken several cape buffs with a ruger no. 1, and he's let both Donna and Brittany use them on cape buffs, also. So, we'll see......grin

maddog
MD: I'm sure you are going to have a great time and no issues with your #1. I was just pointing out what I read and observed. Cheers, jorge
Posted By: medicman Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Randy...depending on where you are going to hunt, you may get in a LOT of walking after buffalo...we were in a sparse area buffalo-wise and logged up an easy 7 to 12 miles a day, and finally got a decent opportunity at that bull in the last 20 minutes of a 14 day hunt....
You learn quickly that you hunt buffalo not for the trophy...but to have hunted buffalo.....

I had arranged tentatively a hunt witth Greg R but he was most gracious when I blew out my knee. I will book with him when I have made the grade as he treated me with understanding and respect. Your Bull and a few live photos adorn the walls of my excercise area for inspiration. I am up to 6km and leg presses of 120 reps at 150 lbs. If I never get to hunt buff I will have walked thousands of km in preparation and in dreaming.

I agree with any hunt that the killing is not the purpose of a hunt. I have deer in my back 80 acres but leave them be. I consider them grandkid hunt deer, If I ever have any. This fall they may get hunted to test the knee out as it is only a one mile and a half walk, but it just might be an excursion to view instead. I guess if I took the 375 I could hunt buff and get into the walk lots shoot little frame of mind. smile

Randy
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Dang, Phil. Your rifle get run through a combine? laugh

Looks like a well blooded working rifle to me smile
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
jorge the big peep or ghost ring is an acquired taste. But once it's used and practiced, in my opinion it's everything you hope for in a DG sighting system. Add to that when it's made from one block of steel that is Torx bolted and lock tight to the action it's nearly a molecular bond of indestructible machine
Posted By: hatari Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
Originally Posted by hatari

Simple...

Next question? grin

Not so good......

Caught you cross dressing again? I've told her you'll out grow this phase. wink

Put me in as another believer in the 98 Mauser. Often imitated, never surpassed. What is a Pre-64 Win Mod 70 other than a dressed up Mauser? There is something about the way a Mauser bolts feels as it cams shut. 375 H & H is the gold standard. .416 would be a bit more fun if you can shoot it well.

Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/19/11
I have used the ghost ring sights on a couple of shotguns and two big bores, they are not near as accuratae for those people that shot them at 50 yareds out but up close, less than 20 yards they really seemed to shine. Most every one could keep bullets in a 4 inch circle and do so quickly. Those calibers were .458 mag in model 70 Winchester and a .458-Lott.
Posted By: blaser_guy Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/21/11
On the single shot for DG, recently I asked on here who has used the big Ruger No 1's for DG. Most used it for PG. When I first went to Africa it was about spending the daily rate well. That means get as much with your Africa specific rifle because you don't know when you will return or if you will return. In all this quest to cram all the experience in a small window I wasn't about to take a chance without a repeating rifle on what my daily rate and trophy fees were costing. Dang it I was going to kill something.
Now going on a hunt specifically for a buffalo with an open sighted Ruger No 1 interests me.
After I moved up from my open sighted BB gun I wanted scoped rifles from then on and never looked back. I believe I did a disservice to myself rushing to perfecting my ability to take game. Now I have rifled that are set up only for open sights.
As far as a scoped on DG rifles I am way faster with a scope.
Close range doesn't seem to matter to me in moving game using a scope.
Traditional is cool but you still have to get results that work for you.
Old hunting rifles with multiple leafs for rear sites give me a chuckle. I envision these rifles were used by gentleman intent on taking game and this was the ballistic reticle of it's day. These men had no trophy fee to pay but mainly were looking to feed staff or their family. This was to put the odds in his favor. Traditional hunting methods of an era were the best of that time and we somehow get confused through the romance of that time that this would be the
Standard for future generations. We have the luxury now to use methods from days gone by or modernize. But I think the desire to hunt goes way, way back. So I guess we are all "traditional hunters" after all.
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 05/21/11
I started out with iron sights but changed to always hunting with a scope when I moved out west in the late 60s. It's second nature to me, so placing my shot on a running deer or elk at 15 yards in the timber comes naturally. I still shoot with open sights but haven't hunted with them in a long time.
Posted By: ConradCA Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/04/11
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I just picked a Ruger Hawkeye African in 375 Ruger and am having the action and barrel channel glass-bedded, a second cross-bolt added, trigger tweaked by Roger Ferrel and calling it good. Have had a 416, 458 Lott, and H&H. Enough to know the Ruger will be enough for me.

Optics will be a 2.5x if i ever get across The Pond again or a 4x if i take it after elk.

2.5 or 2.5-8 ?

I guess theoretically a straight 2.5x would be less likely to go legs up but I've used a a 2.5-8x for years on a 340 without problems.
Posted By: croldfort Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/12/11
Back to the original question. How about the Win Mod 70 Safari Express in .375, .416, or .458 Win for $1100 from CDNN? More of a question than an answer.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/15/11
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Buffalo is a funny critter. Some hunts can end the first hour of the first day others last til the end with the hunter passing many along the way and then closing the trip with nothing.

On average we shoot bulls in 4-7 days, but that is not to say all are that way. I have had a hunter shoot 3 nice bulls in about 7 minutes! All died within view of the spot we were standing! Yet others hit darn good were tracked for a good part of a day, every step of the way nerve wracking!

I've also had hunters pass very likely 58-60" kudu while buffalo hunting, and we never see those Kudu again! The massive trophies always come out to play whenever you're hunting buffalo. Another great reason to use a 375HH with a scope. Those PG monsters that tease you might just cause you to give into temptation while standing out there taunting you!

He should have shot the kudu. A month ago we were tracking a herd of buff in Zim and came across a zebra. I shot the zebra (one shot plus some calls from the other zebra). The buff were about 500 meters away. Never spooked 'em at all. WE continued and I shot a buff.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/15/11
Morning croldfort, I'm late so did not read all the posts. What do you want to use the rifle for?
Posted By: jprice Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/19/11
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heym .450 double for elephant and buff

Something very accurate for leopard and lion
I use a rifles Inc. .300 win mag for leopard and .375 for lion although I think the .300 would do the trick on both.
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/19/11
Never hunted 4 legged DG, but if money wuzn't a problem, I'd not hesitate to find a 450 NE double gun and have it fitted to me. After using some fine double shotguns, and having had my Dad who was a pretty good 'smith and stockmaker when he wanted. make me a '98 in 8mm that fit like a glove, It is MHO that fitted guns very nearly aim themselves for fast shooting.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/20/11
I am going to see about a 500 Jeff or 500 A-Squared tomorrow! If I am going to stop something with intent on smacking me down and running me over like a Mack Truck, I want a damn big gun to make my mark between it's eyes and then exit half way down its body. I still like the idea of that 600 grain bullet.
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/20/11
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Never hunted 4 legged DG, but if money wuzn't a problem, I'd not hesitate to find a 450 NE double gun and have it fitted to me. After using some fine double shotguns, and having had my Dad who was a pretty good 'smith and stockmaker when he wanted. make me a '98 in 8mm that fit like a glove, It is MHO that fitted guns very nearly aim themselves for fast shooting.

That kind, Jim ?

[Linked Image] http://www.armurerieducondroz.be/files/Fiches/D_400.JPG
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/20/11
Evening Tonk. I'm sure you know about the 500 A-Square. Did and elephant earlier this year in Zimbabwe with a guy who uses it with 600 gr Woodleigh solids that did their job pretty good and I was impressed. Only thing that made me worry was if his ammo went AWOL. 500 Jeffrey is easily available in SA though.
Posted By: Pete E Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/20/11
jorge the big peep or ghost ring is an acquired taste. But once it's used and practiced, in my opinion it's everything you hope for in a DG sighting system. Add to that when it's made from one block of steel that is Torx bolted and lock tight to the action it's nearly a molecular bond of indestructible machine

Jim/Jorge,

Although not a hunting rifle, the British SLR (our version of the FN FAL) was set up with peep sight with a fairly large aperture and it was indeed lighten fast to use...

Unlike's Jim set up, they were folding and adjustable for range, neither feature which is required for a dedicated DG rifle...

Just as important as the rear sight is the style of the blade in fore sight...These days I would go with something that was luminous, although what exactly I am not sure...

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/27/11
Pete I broke in with the Army's M1-GARAND rifle and it had a larger peep sight, I learned to shoot it well in those days. My shotguns have a much larger ghost ring sight. I also have an FAL SA 58 rifle in .308 that has those military peep sights. I can not much use them now because the eyes are not as forgiving. I am leaning towards the shallow V sights for my other big bore rifles.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/27/11
Phil is that wing walk compound on your stock?
Posted By: whelennut Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/27/11
Redfield 2-7 scope.

Terry

1.5-5 Leupy....... wink

[Linked Image]

A good man with a 223 AI and Barnes 53 gr. bullets could make it happen. wink
whelennut
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Wheelnut, don't know about argue! However, I am putting a Leupold 2 x 7 power on my big bore .470-Capstick.

Now anybody here like that .460 Weatherby? I am curious because I am going to rechamber and redrill one out to the magic number of the ".500 A-Squared" you betcha. I sure do like it's ballistics using a 600 grain bullet at 2300-fpt.

It also has a very stout K.O. appeal, not to mention the kinetic energy too. However, the biggest plus for me is the Power Index reading of 1600 compared to the .460-Wby at 1200. The .458-Win mag is a mere 838 with a 465 grn bullet.
Posted By: Hamburg81 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Not so much about big numbers, but I like it nonetheless:

CZ Magnum in .375H&H
AHR trigger and safety
Cerakote finish
Action bedded and new stock finish

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Can't ever go wrong with a 375 H&H ...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Mine's a rebored and rechambered 416 Rigby to 505 Gibbs, the big Ruger action feeds and ejects smooth as silk, 3 down one in the chamber, 600 gn. Woodleigh's @2400 softs and solids same POI @100 w/ the irons, running a 2.5-10x24 Nightforce in a set of Warne QD's. very accurate for a big kicker.

Gunner
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Gunn-Runner 500, I got to ask you what length barrel do you have on that .505 Gibbs rifle? A2 manual has only 2300 fps using a 525 grain bullet and 26 inch barrel!

Now I would like to know how you go about getting 2400 fps with a 600 grain bullet, I am very much wanting to shoot a 600 grn bullet myself but most velocities I see are well under 2300fps using a 525 grain bullet. Ummmmmmmm something is causing me to wonder if I should keep this reloading manual, "Any Shot You Want".

Now A-2 has on page 592 the loads for the 505 Gibbs. The hottest (most velocity) with a 525 grain bullet is 136 grains of RL-22 and velocity is 2328 using a 26 inch barrel. The PSI pressure was 34,900. If I could get 2400 feet per second out of a CZ barrel .505 Gibbs rifle shooting a 600 grain bullet, I would purchase one right now. Now did you use a "Chrony" on your loads?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Tonk go to 470mbogo.com punch 505 Gibbs and read, I get to 2400 easily w/ 145 gns. H-4831 SC and the 600 gn. Woodleigh, and yes they were chronoed.
My barrel is the factory lenght, thinkin' 24" the big Gibbs case will give You all You want w/ very exceptable pressure's.

Gunner
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
Originally Posted by gunner500
Tonk go to 470mbogo.com punch 505 Gibbs and read, I get to 2400 easily w/ 145 gns. H-4831 SC and the 600 gn. Woodleigh, and yes they were chronoed.
My barrel is the factory lenght, thinkin' 24" the big Gibbs case will give You all You want w/ very exceptable pressure's.

Gunner

Lol ... all you want and more smile
Posted By: jimone Re: Dangerous game rifle - 06/30/11
I think my 375 Ruger African with 2.5-8 Conquest will do well enough, after I launch another few thousand Lyman 375449's at bouncing clay pigeons and swinging bottles at 2k fps.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/01/11
Well then that settles that, if I can get 2300 fps with a 600 grain bullet, I will be a very happy and sore camper you bet.

I wonder how come A-2 and company never tested the .505 Gibbs out for more velocity and energy? Thanks for the imformation, I am going over to my gunstore this weekend to perhaps trade for the CZ in .505 Gibbs. It is a very nostalgic caliber.

I once started to go the route of a .470-Mbogo but I didn't know if I could ever keep getting proper headstamp cases. So I figured the model 70 in a .470-Capstick would be plenty of power. However, now I want something bigger and CZ Rifles have prove themselves to me to be good quality and accurate as well. I have owned 2 of them in smaller calibers!
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/01/11
Colorado what do you have as your load with a 570 grain bullet? I would like to know what velocity your shooting is all really. Also how much powder do you use for plinking loads or deer huntingk.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/01/11
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Lol ... all you want and more smile

You got that right colorado, the 505 is a rip snorting bucking bull if You let it breath a little LMAO.

Gunner
Posted By: colorado Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/01/11
I get about 2410 fps with 570g Barnes TSX using Jamison brass, Federal 215 primers and 105g H4895. Cartridge OAL is 3.63". I went to the range and it was 96 degrees and extraction was a bit sticky so I'm backing off 2g of powder. 570g at 2300 fps should be plenty for anything I need to kill. Easier on the shoulder too.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/01/11
Well, my two cents worth, is simple most will never ever hunt dangerous game more that two or three times in a life time. There is just not a whole lot of it left in the world. It all comes down to being light enough to carry, yet with in reasonable recoil levels so the a one can actually shoot it well enough. It should be legal for what ever jurisdiction you maybe hunting in. And it should be fairly common. Holland and Holland 375 has been doing that since 1912. You could make the case for the Ruger Version or the Dakota version, I guess. Thou in a good scope or iron sigh arrangement and you are good to go, stopping rifles are a whole different issue. That is the Ph's or Guides problem. Our problem is to shoot accurately to begin with so it dose not become a PH or Guide problem from the start.
Posted By: writing_frog Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/02/11

As dangerous game, i only hunted australian water buff but i prepare a hunt in Mozambique with my portuguese journalist friend Pedro. One of his friend has geat hunting territory north of Mozambique. We plant to go there for three weeks after the end of regular hunting season. As for australian hunt will go there with a lever. My custom 71 in 50Ak is first choice but if i can get enough money to buy it, i'm looking for a Turnbull 475Turnbull. I met him in Nurnberg two years ago and his products are first class and prices not so high.
I'm not the guide and don't want a stopping rifle. My fifty Alaskan proved very effective in Australia. I will just change the bullets and go to the new HS bullets of Woodleigh or a french made copper alloy solid. My friend will use his 375H&H. We have no worries about the hunt. Training to place bullets right, to double or triple fast and reliable feedind will be more important than the caliber i think. With the .50 i'm not far from the 458Winch power in a 51cm (20in) barrel)easy to get on target and fast shooter, no scope but don't worry about. Every man has his favorite, that's life, that's freedom.

Cheers
Dom
Posted By: 444Matt Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/02/11
Originally Posted by Marseille

As dangerous game, i only hunted australian water buff but i prepare a hunt in Mozambique with my portuguese journalist friend Pedro. One of his friend has geat hunting territory north of Mozambique. We plant to go there for three weeks after the end of regular hunting season. As for australian hunt will go there with a lever. My custom 71 in 50Ak is first choice but if i can get enough money to buy it, i'm looking for a Turnbull 475Turnbull. I met him in Nurnberg two years ago and his products are first class and prices not so high.
I'm not the guide and don't want a stopping rifle. My fifty Alaskan proved very effective in Australia. I will just change the bullets and go to the new HS bullets of Woodleigh or a french made copper alloy solid. My friend will use his 375H&H. We have no worries about the hunt. Training to place bullets right, to double or triple fast and reliable feedind will be more important than the caliber i think. With the .50 i'm not far from the 458Winch power in a 51cm (20in) barrel)easy to get on target and fast shooter, no scope but don't worry about. Every man has his favorite, that's life, that's freedom.

Cheers
Dom

Great words Dom, couldn't agree more!
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11
If I were looking for an ideal "stopping rifle" it would be something in the form of a .577 caliber or 600/700 caliber. However, I want something that if the brain of that tusker is missed for one reason or another, it will stun him enough to get that 2nd shot put in the proper place.

I also want something different than I already have gentlemen and that is simply my want period. So the .375H&H is out along with the .375-Wby and so is the .458 Win mag and it's big brother the .458-Lott in my vault. So this leaves my .470-Capstick in .474 caliber. I want a .50ty cal now and that sums things up! I'll take along my .416-Rem mag and this newer .500 or.510 cal once the bugs are worked clear.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11

I have never seen a single man pass the PH course using anything bigger then the 416, and then only a handful have done it with the 416 ( that I know of or have seen)

So thats my opinion bang away and dissect it if you like. Everyone has an opinion!

JJHACK,
Can you give some examples of what is required on a PH course? Im guessing it is composed of specific ranges and times but have never seen a reference to what those numbers are.
Posted By: minnmarcus Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11
A 58 or 60" Kudu? Shoot the Kudu!!
Posted By: minnmarcus Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11
A 58 or 60" Kudu? Shoot the Kudu!!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11
Originally Posted by varmintsinc

JJHACK,
Can you give some examples of what is required on a PH course? Im guessing it is composed of specific ranges and times but have never seen a reference to what those numbers are.

The best place to read on this is either the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters Assoc website or over on AR by asking Don Heath or the "nom the plume" Ganyana
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/03/11
[/quote]Can you give some examples of what is required on a PH course? Im guessing it is composed of specific ranges and times but have never seen a reference to what those numbers are.[/quote]

Varmintsinc, when you start your PH course (in SA), you can finish the course with any legal caliber hunting rifle. Most provinces accept the 243 as minimum but I could be wrong. Reasoning is that you can only guide plains game hunts untill you have 60 hunting days experience on at least 3 of the big 5. So a PH starting out does not need to have a big bore, but most who start the course are inclined to a 375.

Shooting distances were off-hand at 60 yards, 40 yards and 20 yards after a brisk 100 yard walk. Three shots fired at each target with a time limit of 15 seconds. Then there a few shots at a 100 yards bench rest. Both cases a minimum of 75% was required to pass the shooting test. I did mine with a 308 and all else who brought 375's borrowed the 308 because of less recoil and cheaper ammo.

Written exam consists of two papers. One legal side and the other all about the animals, birds and the like taken by F&W with a minimum pass rate of 75%. Most candidates fail the legal paper.

When you can prove 60 days DG hunting experience you can have the restriction removed from your license and guide hunters unassisted on any of the dangerous 6.

I use a 458 Lott, Hornady 500gr solids, and NP 500gr for the soft skinned animals. The caliber and the projectiles work for me.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/05/11
Peter I think South Africa has more PH's than taxi cab drivers on the streets!
Posted By: Pete E Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/05/11
Originally Posted by PieterKriel

Varmintsinc, when you start your PH course (in SA), you can finish the course with any legal caliber hunting rifle. Most provinces accept the 243 as minimum but I could be wrong. Reasoning is that you can only guide plains game hunts untill you have 60 hunting days experience on at least 3 of the big 5. So a PH starting out does not need to have a big bore, but most who start the course are inclined to a 375.

Shooting distances were off-hand at 60 yards, 40 yards and 20 yards after a brisk 100 yard walk. Three shots fired at each target with a time limit of 15 seconds. Then there a few shots at a 100 yards bench rest. Both cases a minimum of 75% was required to pass the shooting test. I did mine with a 308 and all else who brought 375's borrowed the 308 because of less recoil and cheaper ammo.

Written exam consists of two papers. One legal side and the other all about the animals, birds and the like taken by F&W with a minimum pass rate of 75%. Most candidates fail the legal paper.

When you can prove 60 days DG hunting experience you can have the restriction removed from your license and guide hunters unassisted on any of the dangerous 6.

I use a 458 Lott, Hornady 500gr solids, and NP 500gr for the soft skinned animals. The caliber and the projectiles work for me.

How long is the actual apprenticeship before the tests can be taken? Do the Appy's have to have a certain number of days on plainsgame as they do with DG?
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/05/11
Evening Pete, used to be you could start guiding soon as you qualified. That was bad magic. Now you have to be an appy for 2 years and thats good magic! No need for minimum days appy-ship, but time wise 2 years. During that time the appy can accumulate DG experience while accompanied by a qualified DG PH.

With the start of the new Fierarms Control Act 7 years ago most firearm owners thought it good to do the PH course as that will allow you to own more than 4 firearms. To retain your PH license you have to do at least 1 21day hunt, or 3 10day hunts during the validity period of the license before renewing the license.

The PH Ass Of SA is now talking to the cops to ammend the Act so we can own more than 4 firearms. Crazy stuff.

Posted By: Pete E Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/05/11
Hi Pieter,

Thanks for the insight; very interesting!...

So whats the basic minimum a PH needs to do to set himself to guide for Plains game hunts?

Can an Appy take out clients after plains game on his own??? or does he have to accompanied / supervised by a qualified PH?

Regards,

Peter

Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Dangerous game rifle - 07/05/11
Absolute minimum is he has to pass the PH course and own a hunting rifle. Soon as he is licensed he can guide plains game hunts with no supervision required.

It is common courtecy to inform a paying hunter that he will be guided by an appy, and if the hunter prefers not to hunt with an appy, the hunter must say so before the hunt commences.
© 24hourcampfire