Home
Posted By: bwinters Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/22/11
Been looking at 375 caliber rifles and would like opinions on these two rifles. My Dad has a 416 in the CZ and I like it but would have the barrel shortented. I have a SS Hawkeye in 30-06 and like it alot. I also like the 23" barrel listed for the African. Of the two, I'd lean Ruger.

I also have concerns about a 375 splitting stocks. I beleive Phil Shoemaker reported such when the first 375 Ruger's came out.

Thoughts?
Get the African, have it properly glass bedded and enjoy shooting it. It's one of the handiest factory 375s I've handled.
Get the CZ. 375 H&H ammo will be available anywhere you go and long, long after the 375 Ruger has joined the ranks of the 8MM RemMag.

I like my 77s but they are not Magnum Mausers.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/23/11
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've handled both rifles and the Ruger seems more user friendly to me.

I agree that the H+H isn't going anywhere soon but understood ammo for Ruger variety was available in most large cities in Africa. Wrong info?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/23/11
My concern wouldn't be finding ammo in larger cities in Africa, but finding ammo out in the bush. If you're hunting wild Africa (rather than game ranches in South Africa and Namibia), then the nearest large city may be many hours away, whether by Land Cruiser or a charter plane. Just about every dangerous-game PH has a stash of .375 H&H, whether his own or ammo left behind by clients.

I don't think the .375 Ruger is going away, but it will be a long time before ammo will be found almost everywhere.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
The 375Ruger is not going to be found easily or consistently outside a few cities in the USA. Unless something special at the shop, it's not available as a regular shelf item anyplace in Africa I know of. I Agree with the above posts its headed down the path of the 8mm Rem mag.

I strongly prefer the Hawkeye rifle to the CZ, but not the Ruger 375 cartridge. Best option is finding a used Hawkeye and rechamber/ rebarrel to the 375 HH cartridge. Thats a winner for now and the future. Equally good idea, look for a used Model 70 in 375HH
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
Originally Posted by JJHACK
.....Equally good idea, look for a used Model 70 in 375HH

+2 Good advise IMHO.
Jim,

Just out of curiosity, what cartridges are readily available off the shelf in RSA?

I assume the venerable 30-06 and .375 H&H would be a given?

Oh, and to add my two cents for the OP..... I prefer the feel, weight, and balance of the Ruger African, but as already mentioned, I'd be concerned with ammo availability should your bag containing your ammunition come up missing. Thus, the .375 H&H would get my vote.
Posted By: 1kyhunter Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
I took an Alaskan 375 ruger to Zim last year. Took buff, hippo, sable, zebra, impala, hyena, warhog and klipspringer w/it. It is 2" shorter than the African. Handles very nice is the jesse (mean, thick brush). Just allow yourself an extra day when traveling for the possibility of lost luggage and you will have no regrets on the Alaskan. Left ammo w/PH, said he would get one and use when he was not guiding for DG.
Good Luck,
1kyhunter

Posted By: Phoneman Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
i was in the same predicament and found a mark X 375 H&H and so far seem to be pretty happy with it. Just want to add a timney trigger to it and maybe a bell and carlson medalist stock for rough hunting.
bwinters,

Consider a Whitworth Mauser in 375 H&H
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Get the CZ. 375 H&H ammo will be available anywhere you go and long, long after the 375 Ruger has joined the ranks of the 8MM RemMag.

I like my 77s but they are not Magnum Mausers.
..375 Ruger joining the ranks of the the 8mm Remy Mag?..........You`re in dreamland!

Hornady just might and will disagree with you on that. Besides, Hornady has, is currently, and will continue to acquire distribution permits from So African provinces as well as distribution rights from other world-wide venues for their factory 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger ammo.

I wouldn`t want to put wager down on your opinion.
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks for the thoughts.

I've handled both rifles and the Ruger seems more user friendly to me.

I agree that the H+H isn't going anywhere soon but understood ammo for Ruger variety was available in most large cities in Africa. Wrong info?
............Do the baggage handlers and/or any other airline personnel know the difference between a properly packed and concealed 375 H&H rifle and its ammo vs a 375 Ruger rifle and its ammo?

So if either were lost in transport, and neither got to a particular final destination in time for your hunt, you`d still have to rely on the usage of a backup rifle and ammo from your PH`s inventory would you not? That`s why they have back-up rifles.

So all this biz about 375 Ruger ammo getting lost or the lack of availability thereof imo, kinda borders on the redundancy.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
Most of the typical metric cartridges like 7mm, 9.3's and the American standards like 308, 30/06, 300 win mag, 7mm mag, are easy Even the 338 is usually around, although not at the same level the 375HH is. Most African hunters will jump from 30 caliber to 375 The 338 has minimal following. If the 300 mag is too small then logical jump is to the "legal for all" 375 cartridge.

Good luck with that 375Ruger in Southern Africa! Or almost anyplace else for that matter. When you do find it blow the dust off the box and be sure they are still good before you buy.

I'm a very serious Hornady fan but I think the 375Ruger was an attempt to boost sales thru gun writer hype, much like the Short mags. They filled that gap that was full of perfectly effective and functional cartridges already.

Gotta keep pushing the new stuff to make sales. I have no fault with that. I'm glad they make money from people who have it in Excess to give them. Keeps them in business and that's good for all of us. But nobody is going to convince me that the 375Ruger provides any functional advantage over the 375HH or that the shortmags have any value at all over the selection that was already available to us.

If they really wanted to provide a great option somebody should be producing the 338/06 and the 35 whelen in big numbers. Those are cartridges that really work on big game!

The 375HH is available everyplace the biggest most dangerous game on earth is hunted. It will be for the foreseeable future and most certainly the rest of my lifetime. The 375Ruger has no chance of claiming that role, not now, not ever. The installed base of the 375HH is so huge that to make this feeble attempt at trying to over throw the king.......... although valiant, is a losing cause which was known all along. It was a way to extract money from people wanting the newest fad. It made money for them by improving the business with a bump using some magazine marketing for the population that just has to have the newest advertised stuff!

Step back and look at the firearm market. Has anything really improved in the last 100 years? Ammo has made the 30/06 the equal of the 300 mag when it was released, The 375HH is a far more impressive cartridge then the original when used with Smokeless Powder and the TSX VS cup and core with stick cordite powder!
Step back and look at the firearm market. Has anything really improved in the last 100 years? Ammo has made the 30/06 the equal of the 300 mag when it was released, The 375HH is a far more impressive cartridge then the original when used with Smokeless Powder and the TSX VS cup and core with stick cordite powder!

Based on this thinking, any bolt action other than an M-98 or any pistol other than a 1911 represents a sales gimmick. Although some might agree with such arguments, it seems a bit extreme to write off all innovation as marketing hype.

IMO it seems the Ruger basic case represents an advantage, although whether it's a sufficient advantage to enough customers to solve their needs will only be answered by the market, over time. smile
Posted By: Savuti Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
The Brno 602/375 I had weighed in at 8lbs-14oz bare.
The Hawkeye African in the safe is a full pound lighter.

A huge difference? Maybe not, but it points up the one advantage I think the 375 Ruger has over its cousin. To me, the full length CZ action is a better fit for the 416 Rigby.

Other than the weight of the typically over built H+Hs, it's a toss up between the two.

Pete
My AHR (CZ 550 action) .375 H&H weighs in 9lbs 2.9oz bare naked.

My Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan with QD rings, Leupold 2.5-8x36 and three rounds weighs 2 ounces less! Was a heck of alot cheaper too. grin

I prefer the lighter, trimmer, handier Ruger. While ammunition may be hard to find in Africa, I hear Hornady is working on changing that.

Until southern Africa is well stocked with .375 Ruger ammunition, I'd leave my Ruger Alaskan at home and bring a .375 H&H or 9.3x62mm.

I hear that the .375 Ruger is selling extremely well in Alaska, and ammunition is readily available on most shelves.
Posted By: medicman Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
I am moving backwards in my calibre choices with my last 5 rifles being 257 roberts, 3006, 303 brit, 375 H&H, and 7x57. I am not saying I am anti modernistic, but that is how others describe me. I also bought a 22lr bolt.

Have at the new stuff fellas, I'll use what has always worked. By the way there is nothing wrong with a SAA or 1911 colt.

Randy
Posted By: Savuti Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/24/11
Originally Posted by FOsteology
My AHR (CZ 550 action) .375 H&H weighs in 9lbs 2.9oz bare naked.

My Ruger Alaskan in a McMillan with QD rings, Leupold 2.5-8x36 and three rounds weighs 2 ounces less! Was a heck of alot cheaper too. grin

I prefer the lighter, trimmer, handier Ruger. While ammunition may be hard to find in Africa, I hear Hornady is working on changing that.

Until southern Africa is well stocked with .375 Ruger ammunition, I'd leave my Ruger Alaskan at home and bring a .375 H&H or 9.3x62mm.

I hear that the .375 Ruger is selling extremely well in Alaska, and ammunition is readily available on most shelves.

You made the point I was unsucessfully trying to make. Thanks.

I read the the figure was either 8000 or 10,000 copies of 375 Hawkeyes sold in the first 12 months of production. Either figure is a staggering number for this class of ctg. and bodes well for its future.

Pete
Good luck with that 375Ruger in Southern Africa! Or almost anyplace else for that matter. When you do find it blow the dust off the box and be sure they are still good before you buy.

I'm a very serious Hornady fan but I think the 375Ruger was an attempt to boost sales thru gun writer hype, much like the Short mags. They filled that gap that was full of perfectly effective and functional cartridges already.

Gotta keep pushing the new stuff to make sales. I have no fault with that. I'm glad they make money from people who have it in Excess to give them. Keeps them in business and that's good for all of us. But nobody is going to convince me that the 375Ruger provides any functional advantage over the 375HH or that the shortmags have any value at all over the selection that was already available to us.

If they really wanted to provide a great option somebody should be producing the 338/06 and the 35 whelen in big numbers. Those are cartridges that really work on big game!

The 375HH is available everyplace the biggest most dangerous game on earth is hunted. It will be for the foreseeable future and most certainly the rest of my lifetime. The 375Ruger has no chance of claiming that role, not now, not ever. The installed base of the 375HH is so huge that to make this feeble attempt at trying to over throw the king.......... although valiant, is a losing cause which was known all along. It was a way to extract money from people wanting the newest fad. It made money for them by improving the business with a bump using some magazine marketing for the population that just has to have the newest advertised stuff!

..................Well I have to disagree here about a few points.

First, your statement about "blowing dust" off a box of 375 Ruger ammo in Africa or anywhere else, is at best, a purely speculative opinion. I have yet to read anywhere of any account, where any 375 Ruger rifle taken to Africa, was not successfully used.

Why shouldn`t any new cartridge company attempt to boost sales? Is there something wrong with boosting sales through so-called gun writer hype or otherwise? If you were running a cartridge and bullet company such as Hornady, you`d certainly want the writers to review and honestly critique your new round, bullet or whatever. Would you not?

So the `06 made its debut in 1906. So why the need for the 300 Wby which was intro`d in the 40s? Why the need for the 308? 300 H&H? How about the 300 Winchester which debut in 1963? 300 RUM? 300 WSM? This kind of same old analogy, is always used by the detractors of a new round such as the 375 Ruger...."Why the need when there are other functional 375s?"....There have been new gap fillers for years in just about every caliber and not just with the 375s.

In regards to terminal performance on game, the 375 Ruger has no advantage over the H&H, while the reverse is also true. That`s NOT why Hornady intro`d the round in the first place. And you`re forgetting that the 375 H&H did have a 95 year head start on the 375 Ruger. What do expect after only 4+ years in the marketplace? That every So African shelf and every other knook and cranny worldwide, would be loaded up with 375 Ruger ammo?

The functional advantage the 375 Ruger has over the H&H is simple. In the case of the Ruger Alaskan (aside from whether you like that rifle or not), it gets the same or better performance from the shorter 20" barrel. That in turn, translates to a shorter OAL rifle length, which many (like me) happen to prefer vs a 46" + long rifle, that`s not only in most cases heavier, but can`t handle nearly as well. I can fire a 270 grainer at slightly over 2800 fps and a 225 gr Hornady SP at over 3000 fps from my Alaskan and do so with very good accuracy. As such, its not just the cartridge itself, it is the rifle too which has made the 375 Ruger as popular as it is. Big difference in the field with the Alaskan vs my formerly owned 6" longer and heavier Win M70 375 H&H that I had for many years....No comparison.

Also, Hornady did not develop the 375 Ruger to out throne or un-seat the H&H. That was not their original intent. Their intent, was to achieve the same ballistic performance from a shorter OAL rifle, and design a round which would do that; nothing more and nothing less.

As to the newest fads etc? I may be wrong, but it appears by your comments in the 2nd to last paragraph in your post, that you don`t like the fabulous progress in popularity that the 375 Ruger has achieved over the last 4+ years or so? Just an assumption on my part, but I could be wrong!

Remember too, that all the current 375 Ruger owners which include myself, weren`t forced to buy one. I wasn`t forced by Ruger nor Hornady, or felt that either company were "extracting" my money from me in order to own the latest 375 caliber fad. Oh! And the 375 ruger wouldn`t work on big game, whereas a 338/06 or 35 Whelen would? Well if you say so! Yep! Shame on Hornady and Ruger for not giving more attention to the 338/06 and 35 Whelen.

Your comments and doom predictions are A-typical of most 375 Ruger detractors, which over the past 4 years, have gone "exactly and totally in the opposite direction." The marketplace over the last 4+ years, has seen to it that the 375 Ruger won`t be going anywhere and will continue its ever growing trend with even more popularity. Heard that a few African PHs ordered some 375 Ruger Africans?.....Uh Oh!

If I had such biased and close-minded favoritism towards the 375 H&H myself, I just might be a little pissed off too....... laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: bluesman Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
YEP! Still love my ancient Mauser .375 H&H - but see no reason not to go try a Ruger .375

Terry
Posted By: 1kyhunter Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
375 Ruger ~$750-$1000 Rifle Alaskan or African

375 H&H ~$1250 starting price

The Ruger can be built via standard and not magnum--saving cost and weight. This is the niche that Ruger went after. To say they are better then the H&H---well, 100 years from now, the agruements will continue. For me, Ruger Alaskan has served me well with out breaking the bank. Saved enough for a couple of trophy fees!!!!! New & "Better" calibers will come and go--just like yogurt, TP, candy bars, beer . . . . . That's a fact we can not stop!
Posted By: bwinters Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
Thanks for all the comments.

I really like the Ruger African. Rugers have always fit me well, the African is no different.

Good advice on the Ruger vs H+H variety. I like the Ruger case better than the H+H simply because doesn't require a mag length action. I'm also not fond of belts on any cartridge.

A consideration for you guys: Lets say I buy the H+H variety and lose my shells before hitting camp. Do most PH's carry enough 375 ammo to re-sight my rifle for their ammo? I can't see simply using loads not developed for my rifle without first shooting enough of them to ensure I can hit what I'm shooting at.

Another consideration: assume their is no back-up rifle in camp. Can the answer be as simple as going into town and buying a new rifle? That has always been my back-up plan when I'm on an out of state hunt.

BTW: My first choice would be a Winchester Classic in 375 but they don't come much cheaper than ~ $1300.

Of the 3 (Ruger, CZ, Winchester) which is the better choice for a 375?

Thanks again.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
You wont be buying a new rifle in Africa very easy and it if you do, getting out of the country will be complicated but do-able. Getting into the USA when you did not buy it here will be a freaking complicated mess. So if you did buy one you would likely make it a "donation" that nobody could take from you! They must have a permit which takes months for each gun they own. So bottom line, not a likely solution.

PH's will have 375HH ammo or in most cases know where there is a bunch, it's never in short supply and you will not struggle to get a 375HH rifles or ammo to use from anyplace you would likely hunt. It's one of the standards in southern Africa, much like the .223/308/30-06/7mag are in the USA.

Any of them are fine 375 foundations. The Ruger is a hell for stout product that has the best safety ever designed into a rifle.

The Winchester is likely the most "in demand" action for DG by many PH's. However the CZ may be the most commonly used in Southern Africa. Mine is a Model 70, and I would not want anything other then this.

Of the three the Ruger has the least smooth CRF design. I think it will capture the case with some "tuning" but of those I've seen and used ( I own two) they seem to push feed the case rather far into the action before the claw actually grabs the case. The Winchester and the CZ ( and all other true CRF guns) have the case slide under the claw right from the Magazine.

Jorge said that he thinks some of the Hawkeyes do this flawless from the factory, but none I have seen work as well as the mod-70 and the CZ or any other true CRF rifle. There is something odd about the feed from the magazine to the claw with the Ruger action. It's a CRF design but needs some tuning to get that rim under the extractor right from the magazine. All of them I have seen have a timing issue that makes them push feed almost the whole way to the chamber.

I have a .223 hawkeye that is absolutely a push feed to the chamber, it's the same action just smaller. I have a 25/06 hawkeye that only gets the rim under the claw within 1/2" of the chamber. The clients that have hunted with me using there rifles all had the exact same timing condition as well.

Just something to check before you decide. I'm not sure most users recognize this until pointed out. A true CRF captures the case from the instant it leaves the magazine until it's in the chamber and then until it's ejected from the action. I have never seen the Ruger work like this on probably more then 50 rifles inspected. They all engage the rim someplace along the way, but not always as it leaves the magazine.
Originally Posted by bwinters
Thanks for all the comments.

I really like the Ruger African. Rugers have always fit me well, the African is no different.

Good advice on the Ruger vs H+H variety. I like the Ruger case better than the H+H simply because doesn't require a mag length action. I'm also not fond of belts on any cartridge.

A consideration for you guys: Lets say I buy the H+H variety and lose my shells before hitting camp. Do most PH's carry enough 375 ammo to re-sight my rifle for their ammo? I can't see simply using loads not developed for my rifle without first shooting enough of them to ensure I can hit what I'm shooting at.

Another consideration: assume their is no back-up rifle in camp. Can the answer be as simple as going into town and buying a new rifle? That has always been my back-up plan when I'm on an out of state hunt.

BTW: My first choice would be a Winchester Classic in 375 but they don't come much cheaper than ~ $1300.

Of the 3 (Ruger, CZ, Winchester) which is the better choice for a 375?

Thanks again.
.....Winters............The Ruger imo, is the best choice for a DG rifle. Good planning always helps. I assume that any PH you use, just might have an email address for contact? A simple solution would be to ask him if he has any back-up rifles. Besides and to begin with, I wouldn`t use a PH unless he had some back up rifles.

So regardless of which 375 cartridge you choose, the H&H or the Ruger, there are always going to be easily solved solutions justifying adding a 375 Ruger to your inventory. All this ammo availabilty business concerning the what if this` or the what if thats or the lack thereof when it comes to the 375 Ruger in Africa, is really quite overblown imo.

Posted By: test1328 Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
If I were buying the rifle strictly for use in Africa, I would go with a rifle chambered for the H&H. This is based on my experience in Africa (Zim) with missing ammo for an H&H and replacement ammo was located in no time flat. Replacement ammo for a 7mm Rem Mag was a different story as there was none to be found. This jives with JJ's statements that finding H&H ammo is relatively easy. I know other people have used the .375 Ruger successfully in Africa and a few rifles are surely floating around over there being used, but at this point in time and in the foreseeable future I don't think the ammo for it will be very commonly available. Thus my choice for the H&H.

In terms of rifles, I would personnally spend the money for a M70 Classic in .375 H&H and put my worries away. I would always pick the M70 over the CZ (too heavy for a .375 and I like the safety on the M70 better) and the Ruger (not chambered for what I want).

That's just my 2 cents. That all being said, if I were you and found one rifle fit me better or felt better in my hand over the others, I'd choose that one and not worry too much about weight, safety style or chambering and just go with it. Even if you choose the Ruger and loose your ammo, its a certainty that there will be another rifle in camp that you can borrow and in most instances, your ammo and/or rifle will show up in a few days so there really isn't a need to get too worried about it all. It does suck when you can't use the rifle that you've been planning on using and practicing with, but such is life and you'll deal with it just like hunters are continuously dealing with the unexpected everywhere they go.

Best of luck to you in what ever you choose.
In regard to which factory/off the shelf .375 H&H to buy, I wholeheartedly agree with choosing the M70. Less needs to be done (and less $$ in the big picture) to get it Africa ready.

Another option (if you can find one for a good price) is the Whitworth (not to be confused with the Mark X) that was imported by Interarms. A damn fine rifle that balances and shoulders beautifully.

The CZ 550 while a good rifle, is simply too heavy for my tastes. Not only that, but the wood stock feels like a thick, heavy, unbalanced/unwieldy club. Takes some time and effort to get the action smooth as well.

I purchased a CZ 550 Safari .300WM for my first Safari in 2005. The action was the Magnum sized action (same used for the BIG bores). I couldn't get rid of it fast enough upon my return from Namibia!
Posted By: Tally_Ho Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
The CZ is a better rifle and the H&H is far more established, the choice is simple IMO.
Posted By: mlg Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
I would go the 375 H&H if I could get a trim rifle. The CZ is definately too heavy for the caliber and I was most disappointed when I shouldered one of the new FN M70 Safari Expresses in 375 H&H.

They have used the same barrel profile for the 458, 416 and the 375 and whilst its not too bad in the 458 in the 375 its like shouldering a truck axle.

Just such a shame they did not profile the new Safari Experess on the pre 64.......
The real issue here is how available is and will be 375 Ruger ammo in Africa. The PH's aren't going to run out and buy a new Ruger to replace their 375 H&H.

But more Americans will be coming to Africa with a 375 Ruger rifle. Ergo, the demand for 375 Ruger ammo will be there.

Seems to me a PH may want to buy a box of 375 Ruger ammo to keep on hand for present and future clients.
Posted By: Tonk Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
Yes Mr. Hack the model 70 is one great rifle! One can not own enough of them in my humble opinion. Sort of like good hunting dogs one is nice but a dozen is a dream come true, especially if they are top bred German Shorthair Pointers.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/25/11
You cannot possess ammo for a rifle which you do not have a permit. PH's and outfitters will not be stocking ammo for firearms they do not have permits for. Nor can they even buy it for you ahead of time, or accept it thru the mail or by any other means. They cannot have it in their possession! The risk is jail time and loss of all gun permits for them......forever more!

It's not likely that the few gun shops there are would carry a selection of 375Ruger ammo without the strong demand from locals (not gonna happen) and when 99% of international sportsman bring ammo and never lose it, then why would they stock ammo for that minuscule fraction of visitors? The problem is, when you as a visitor fall into that "minuscule" category!

The 375Ruger as you say will not likely ever be an African cartridge because the installed base of HH's is so overwhelming. Since you cannot have ammo for the 375ruger unless you have an ownership permit for one...... well that is a hurdle of epic proportions to establish that cartridge outside of Alaska. Africans are not Americans. They buy a truck and put a million k's on it. They don't buy a new truck every few years. They buy a gun that is functional and ammo that works. The Gun shop owners have said for a while now that the Ruger version is a lost cause for Africans. " our hunters buy what works not what glitters" translated from Afrikaans is a frequent statement from the gun store owners.

Their view mirrors the South African gun owning population. Basic functional and long lasting is the way things are viewed in Africa. It's a long way to repair or buy new ammo. The latest and greatest stuff will be several decades old and proven elsewhere before it's use is considered normal here! One other issue is reloading. I would say from those gun owners I know, maybe 1 in 50 PH's or gun owners in general reload. Factory ammo for locals is almost 100% of the stuff we shoot. There are also a number of basement hand loaders that reload ammo for lots of PH's. They would still need to have the permits for the 375Ruger. They usually reload the common stuff only that they have permits for.

There will be the odd one here and there but the reality is it cannot overthrow 100 years of established seniority here in Africa. Not any more then the 8mm rem mag did. The Ruger Rifle is a great piece of hardware, the 375Ruger cartridge is the functional equal, at least that of the HH cartridge but not enough more that would be a deciding factor over the HH version.

There will not likely ever be a demand for a cartridge that does not provide any functional advantage over the HH, only the very big hurdle of available ammo. YMMV
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/26/11
i dont know the situation on this caliber for africa but i can find it here in whitehorse ....

when i lived in africa it was a long time ago in the 80s and 90s the only calibers i was able to find and buy was the 7,62x39 and .45acp

i doubt that even today except in hunting camps in most of african countries you ll find a gunstore, a real gunsmith and /or official case of ammo. (maybe Zim, RSA, Namibia, zambia ?, bostwana ?) but what about Cameroon, CAR and a lot of others ???!!!!
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/27/11
If I was going 375 H&H, I would also consider these Kimber rifles. They also are controlled round feed. I would probably choose the Talkeetna, but that's just my taste.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/caprivi

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/talkeetna
Posted By: bgold Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/27/11
Ever since they've come out, I always figured the Talkeetna would be what I hauled to Africa.

If I ever get a chance to go is another story...
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/27/11
Well for me an easy issue. I have a CZ in 9.3X62. Of the two rounds for Africa the 375H&H without question. There is a reason that the H&H is the standard others are compaired too. While the CZ is a bit heavy, in a heavier recoiling rifle about the last thing I would want is really light weight rifle.
I can't comment on the Ruger, but i've been impressed with the CZ 550. The ruger is a better set up from the factory for africa, but that also depends on what you want. Everyone i've talked to who have owned h&h's and then bought the rugers loved the rugers, more than the h&h's. my 2 cents
I strongly prefer the Hawkeye rifle to the CZ, but not the Ruger 375 cartridge. Best option is finding a used Hawkeye and rechamber/ rebarrel to the 375 HH cartridge.

That's a nice thought, but I don't think the H&H round will fit in the standard length Ruger action. Ruger made their magnum action for that round and larger.

I rarely read mention of the Ruger magnum rifle (M77RSM). Doesn't anybody here like them?
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I rarely read mention of the Ruger magnum rifle (M77RSM). Doesn't anybody here like them?

Probably because they're too heavy for a .375 H&H

By the time you add a scope, rings, ammo, and a sling it trips the scale between 11 1/2 to 12 pounds. eek

Nice rifles though. Especially with the quarter rib.
I know they are big, heavy rifles. I always wanted one in 416 Rigby. Why, I don't know, but want one nonetheless.
From what I've read, one can fairly easily modify the Ruger standard action to take an H&H round. That to me would be one easy solution, and very practical.

The other easy way out would be to buy the new Ruger African in 9.3x62, unless DG is on the menu. Ammo would be readily available and built on the great Ruger platform.

I agree, that with all the Rugers I've had/have, they do not control the cartridge until at least halfway toward the chamber. My 223 would not pick up the rim period until chambered fully.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/30/11
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I strongly prefer the Hawkeye rifle to the CZ, but not the Ruger 375 cartridge. Best option is finding a used Hawkeye and rechamber/ rebarrel to the 375 HH cartridge.

That's a nice thought, but I don't think the H&H round will fit in the standard length Ruger action. Ruger made their magnum action for that round and larger.

i ve seen an article about a ruger 77 338 win mag made into a 375 H&H ... if i can find a link ill direct you there.

all the best.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 05/31/11
I'm pretty sure Dave Scovill did that a few years back and documented it in Rifle.
Good morning all

I read with interest what has been said and as a newcomer to this site I will keep it short. The Ruger works well in Africa, as does the H+H and any other caliber for that matter. About 4 years ago a hunter hunted with me using his Ruger, and upon departure did not check his last box of ammo in the correct place so had to give it to me. I took it and tried to give it away. In the end I gave it to the cops to destroy as nobody wanted it because nobody uses it. The three larger gun shops here in Pretoria (population 1-2 million) do not carry the Ruger ammo at all. Smaller towns will not have it either.

H+H are always available. If SAA or whoever loses your Ruger ammo box for an Africa hunt, you will be using your ph's rifle.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/02/11
Interesting subject.

If you need a .375, you're probably not hunting in SA because the type of game you need one for is rarely hunted there. Zim is more likely. I was there last week. Some thoughts.

Forget gun stores. That would have taken at least a day off my hunt. The nearest one was 7 hours from the hunting area anyway.

Choice is uncommon. $5.00 for a 30-06 round is common with no choice of bullet weight or type. I heard of a case where no .338 ammo was to be found in the capital of Zim.

It is practically illegal to import ammo for sale into Zim. Most countries, including SA, are embargoing it.

My PH had a supply of .375 ammo. His average ammo is about 10 or 15 years old.

My PH had two spare rifles--an iron sighted .375 and a very nice customized CZ in.416 with a leupy scope.

If my ammo had been lost, I would probably have used his .416. He didn't hunt with it when backing up a client, preferring his .500 Nitro Express made by John Rigby.

Posted By: bwinters Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/02/11
I'm thinking H+H is the way to go.

I didn't realize things were that sparse in major African cities. Wish I had some cash, I've found several M70 SS Classic for reasonable as of late.

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Interesting subject.

If you need a .375, you're probably not hunting in SA because the type of game you need one for is rarely hunted there.

Morning IndyCA35, I am as happy as a hog in slop if a hunter arrives in South Africa with a 375 and a 30-06. The two single animals I have spent the most time following when wounded are blue wildebeest and zebra. If a hunter shoots them with a 375 my tail is wagging. Granted you can hunt these two animals with a 30-06, but a bad shot with a 375 still is much better than a bad shot with a 30-06.
Posted By: Phoneman Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/04/11
i went around and around about this and ended up going with another H&H in a mauser and like it alot. Little heavier than the ruger, but will work out fine
A real RSM 375 H&H makes that CZ feel light!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobby7321 Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/14/11
A few months back I was having the same question in my head. I wanted to get my dad a nice rifle in 416 rigby for his upcoming 60th bday. To also use on a 21day trip to the selous in 2012. after researching and asking opinions, I went with the CZ and sent it to AHR. here is what I got back.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.robertnaugle.com/416rigby/rigby07.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.robertnaugle.com/416rigby/rigby08.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.robertnaugle.com/416rigby/rigby09.jpg[/img]

needless to say, I'm very happy with going the CZ route. going to give it to him this weekend. he has no idea.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/15/11
Very nice. Hopefully he can handle a .416. However, given that you are going on a 21 day safari to Zim, he's likely an old hand. I'm sure he will be thrilled. It's a beautiful rifle. Very practical too.
Please share what he said when you gave it to him! Thats a beauty.
Posted By: BikerRN Re: Ruger African or CZ 550? - 06/15/11
Very nice.
Your Father is one lucky man to have raised such a son.
© 24hourcampfire