Home
Posted By: ahartman96 Flight to RSA - 08/04/11
It is coming up to the 330 day mark before I can purchase my tickets to RSA for next August. Have any of you experienced a better time to purchase air fare?

I thought buying them from the get go would be best to avoid any future rate hikes.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/04/11
I'd wait till Nov-Dec. Oil is coming off it's summer highs and ticket prices may drop.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Flight to RSA - 08/04/11
I bought mine too early at about the 2200$ mark. When prices dropped, I called Delta and they gave me a couple of 350$ vouchers for the almost 500$ drop in ticket prices. Better than nothing but I still lost about $300 bucks on the 2 tickets. I would advise you to hang out for awhile and watch prices. BTW I flew Atlanta to J'burg nonstop on Delta.
Posted By: paul375 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/04/11
Have a look on www.skyscanner.net it will show flights for the full year, you can get a bar chart up which shows you which are the cheapest days to fly on as well.
Choose which country you are in top right of screen.
Type in departure airport/ arrival airport, then go for whole month, it will then give you a list of airlines, click on which you want , then you get the bar chart, hold your mouse arrow over them and you will get the rate for going out and return fares.
Hope this is of some use to you.
Cheers,
Paul.
Posted By: NJelksmacker Re: Flight to RSA - 08/05/11
Use Orbitz next time, if there's a price drop they refund you the difference!
Posted By: RedLeg Re: Flight to RSA - 08/05/11
If it is next summer, you do want to buy before the winter shows (SCI/DSC). The remaining seats will fill up quickly.
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/05/11
Thanks for all the advice gents, it is much appreciated!!
Posted By: M3taco Re: Flight to RSA - 08/05/11
Originally Posted by NJelksmacker
Use Orbitz next time, if there's a price drop they refund you the difference!

We booked this year via Orbitz to Namibia. Orbitz did find us the cheapest fares but, the above while true has a serious loophole we unfortunately discovered.

From the time we booked to the time we actually flew, the price of the tickets (same airlines, same flights, same dates etc) dropped about $250 per ticket. I called Orbitz to find out how to apply for/obtain the difference/refund.

The rep told me that I would receive a refund ONLY if someone else booked and flew the exact same flights, dates and times as our tickets. If no one else books the exact same flights before we travel we are SOL!!!

Since you have already booked your hunt if (when) you go back again, if you schedule your originating flight departure dates, I think it is before the 15th of May or after the 15 of Aug, you are flying on what the airlines call the "shoulder" of the peak season. This does not mean booking your flight before or after but actually starting travel before or after.

Two examples from personal experience:

Last year just after we got back at the end of Aug, SAA offered a 'two for" deal of $1000 USD (taxes and fees included) r/t from JFK to JNB. That alone would have cut our total airline travel ticket cost in half.

This year we went in July - tickets via Orbits were $2500 each - see previous Orbitz experience above. I'm heading back to ZA to attend a PH certification course in Oct. So far the best airfare from TPA to my destination in ZA is $1500 and I am hoping it will still drop to around $1200 or so.

Next year we have scheduled to go back to Namibia in May in part to travel "on the shoulder", but mostly to be sure we get one more trip in before the world ends!!! shocked
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Flight to RSA - 08/16/11
You may find it less expensive overall to drive to Dulles and take SAA to JNB. I did that and was not disappointed with the service on SAA. No luggage fee, not even for the rifles and plenty of food and great service enroute. Round trip fares was just $1300. Ton of places to park your vehicle in secure parking for as little as $8 per day.
Posted By: maddog Re: Flight to RSA - 08/16/11
Well, at the risk of catching some schmitt, quit worrying about when to buy. Book the tickets, it's your trip of a lifetime. Quit worrying about $100-$200 bucks. The peace of mind is worth a whole lot. The tickets, June- August is the high season. You are going to pay $2100-$2400 to Johburg, plus extra to fly to other countries. Now if its your 5th-10th trip, thats's one thing, if it's your 1st, get them booked, and go on to other things that are much more important, in the grand scheme of things. If you haven't done so, contact Steve Turner, Travel with guns in Texas. It will take the stress out of your travel plans.

Mad Dog
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/16/11
Thanks for the info all. I guess I would be considered a tight wad - trying to squeeze every penny out. I have been saving for this trip for 2 years now. I was just thinking an extra couple hundred bucks could get a bonus tag - either another wartie or impala.

Maddog - enjoyed your extravaganza through Zim....sounds like you and your son had an excellent time.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
Originally Posted by ahartman96
I guess I would be considered a tight wad - trying to squeeze every penny out.
Not at all! Damn airlines try to squeeze every penny from us, so I'd be shopping for the best/cheapest way also.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
Being expensive and schitty service don't take the stress outta anything.
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
I am not looking for the cheapest (crapiest flights)....I do like my comfort and will be willing to pay for it - like the Delta economy comfort!! Just looking for the biggest bang for my buck.....
Posted By: hatari Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
If SAA is still flying the Airbus A340, I'd avoid it. Unless they have made some major improvements in the seats and the pitch between rows. The pitch between rows was 31". That sucked and the hard as granite Recaro seats were miserable. It is not just my imagination, but everybody in the cabin going and returning bitched about lack of comfort.

I believe Delta is now flying the 777 ATL-JNB. I like that plane. I'll be looking up flights soon myself. Share what you find.
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
Will do H...

I will be flying out of Detoilet to Atlanta for a direct jo'berg....

When I was looking last year, the flights around 15 Aug were running around $1600 off of the Delta web site....
Posted By: maddog Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
I thought the economy comfort seats were worth it. Couple of reasons. Obviously a little more room and comfort, but also being up right behind business class, you depart the plane quicker and get thru immigration and on to the SAPS office quicker, ahead of the crowd. My son, because of his status with Delta, got us bulkhead seats on row 31 at the beginning of the economy seating. Being able to strtch my legs completely out, was worth it's weight in gold.

maddog
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Flight to RSA - 08/17/11
My youngest son and I found the Economy Comfort seats well worth the added $$. As Maddog pointed out, more leg room. There is also additional pitch between the seats, and the seats recline 50% further.
Posted By: rxgremlin Re: Flight to RSA - 08/19/11
I booked about 9 months out for the flight from Dulles to Joberg but I used Kathy Klimes and got the bulkhead seats which helped a little with legroom. Prices did go down but I figured having the bulkhead seats made up for the $200 price difference.

Of course some people don't like the bulkhead seats as they are slightly narrower to make room for the entertainment system and have a small airbag built into the seat belt.

Make your own decisions just remember that 17 hours in the air is a long time and I would focus on getting the best seats rather than worrying about paying a little more.
Posted By: drducati Re: Flight to RSA - 08/26/11
Originally Posted by rxgremlin

Make your own decisions just remember that 17 hours in the air is a long time and I would focus on getting the best seats rather than worrying about paying a little more.

You aint lyin' about that!
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 10/03/11
Anyone ever fly through Frankfurt?
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Flight to RSA - 10/03/11
My first trip I did. I had about 12 hours to kill so we took the train into town and had a few beers and some great sausages. The folks were very frindly and helpful. I was very impressed by the attractive 6 foot plus women walking around the airport providing security carrying sub machine guns.
Posted By: medicman Re: Flight to RSA - 10/03/11
I was more impressed with all the people coing and going. Everyone from Dahli onks to muslim women in full coverup. I married a big Finlander with a bunch of guns. "That don't ipress me much " to quote Shania Twain
Posted By: jimmyb Re: Flight to RSA - 10/03/11
Delta Economy comfort is the way to go. The way we mentally prepare ourselves besides the Benadryl and beer fix is to just look at as sitting in the tree stand all day. It works even if you are lucky enough to land an economy comfort plus seat. 15hrs is 15 hrs.
Posted By: maddog Re: Flight to RSA - 10/03/11
Originally Posted by jimmyb
Delta Economy comfort is the way to go. The way we mentally prepare ourselves besides the Benadryl and beer fix is to just look at as sitting in the tree stand all day. It works even if you are lucky enough to land an economy comfort plus seat. 15hrs is 15 hrs.

He's right! If it's your 1st trip, just take Delta, it's easier that way. wink

maddog
Posted By: ahartman96 Re: Flight to RSA - 10/04/11
I am definately looking for the economy plus! United also has this feature, plus only 8 hours to Frankfurt and a 10 hour flight to J'berg...overall flight time may be a little longer, but less time on a plane for the connections would give me a chance to get off the plane and stretch. Delta is running $2300 and United is $1700....hence my question through Frankfurt.
Posted By: paul375 Re: Flight to RSA - 10/08/11
Ive flown through Frankfurt a few times. One thing I have come across is that they seem to change the gates of connecting flights without telling any one, and with out updating the flight departure monitor screens.
Apart from that, Frankfurt is a good airport and they all seem to be very helpful and pleasant staff there.
German customs will open your checked bag if you are carring ammo without telling you, but will leave a note saying that they have done it.I had just normal locks on my ammo box, not the TSA locks, and they picked them.
Having flown across the Atlantic, I think a stretch of the legs would be welcome....and maybe a cold beer!
Posted By: rifle Re: Flight to RSA - 10/08/11
Frankfurt is really cool,just don't leave the airpost...It's not real good on the streets unguided and not speaking the langage.When I go to Namiba,I think this is the way to go.Food is good too!I'ne done the Atlanta direct to J'Burg,what a haul.

Stay out of Paris,worst airport I've ever been in...anywhere!
Posted By: DLALLDER Re: Flight to RSA - 10/08/11
The wife & I got back last Sat(1st) from Windhoek. Try a 45 hour stint from Winkhoek to Pittsburg, Tx., either in a plane or waiting at the airport for a plane. I will try a different route if I ever go back. It was a great trip but the flying( especially the trip coming home)was a killer.
© 24hourcampfire