Home
Posted By: hatari For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/10/11
Ran across a nice double in 450/400 on Gunbroker to today. Many will pass it by because the barrels are superimposed rather than side by side, and that's a shame. I have a 450/400 Jeffery's SxS and a 450 #2 Yale superimposed. The 450#2 shoots tighter groups. The test target in the auction of the Verney Carron shows similar excellent regulation. Might be worth a look if you're a double gun guy.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255072834
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/10/11
I'd never do an O/U double rifle, but maybe that's just me.

Yea, that target is nice. Five years ago I probably would have jumped. As it is I'm trying to trim down.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/11/11
Looks like a shotgun with some real recoil. Does not appeal to me but maybe thats just because my feet are starting to get cold during winter.
Posted By: hatari Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/11/11
Having one of each, I've found the SxS more aesthetically appealing, but the O/U gets on the target and points incredibly natural.
Posted By: blaser_guy Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/11/11
I have always thought a O/U 375 loaded with 270 TSX bullets would be an interesting gun. More as an all around game gun. Sight in the top barrel for say 200 yards to get a long range sight in and the bottom barrel would be on for closer in shots. If a guy was a Two barrel nut it would be an interesting project.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/11/11
Hunted with a European guy who lived in Canada at that point who used an O/U 375, with interchangeable barrels for a 12ga bottom and a 7 X 57 on the top barrel. Maybe thats where I got my (unfair?) dislike in something like that. Least of all I'm not trying to say the rifle was bad, the user put me off.

Posted By: sawbones66 Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/13/11
I also prefer the sxs, but Zoli makes a nice o/u as well (shotgun and rifle). I talked with the rep at SCI and he pointed out that skeet and trap competitors all went with o/u b/c the recoil was up rather than side to side making it quicker to get back on target. No one shoots sxs (according to him) in real competition. Made his point to me. Still prefer sxs rifle.
Sawbones
Posted By: gunner500 Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/13/11
Almost bit the bullet on a very nice top lever bar action hammer rifle in 450/400 NE, a beautiful old double, thank God the older gent took out his checkbook while I was standing there sick

Gunner

edit: brain flatulence
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/13/11
Phil Shoemaker had an interesting article on his Zoli 450/400 3" NE o/u double rifle earlier this year, he reported good results with it in terms of handling, accuracy and reliability. IIRC he had it fitted with a 2.5x Leupold.
Posted By: 458Win Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/15/11
The Zoli handles better than any double in the same caliber that I have ever handled. And I have handled and shot a lot of nice English SxS double rifles.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: elkrazy Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/17/11
I would like to read that article about the Zoli -- Where and when was it? Is there a link?

Thanks
Posted By: hatari Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/17/11
I actually bought a Zoli in 9.3 x 72 about 15 years ago from Gun Lists. It arrived with some strange shock absorber system where the the back 25% of the stock should have been. I retruned it to the owner and said "no thanks". It did handle nicely, but was too Rube Goldberg in that form for me.
Posted By: 458Win Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/18/11
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I would like to read that article about the Zoli -- Where and when was it? Is there a link?

Thanks

I suppose I should know something about links - but I don't. It can be found in the March 2011 issue of Wolfe Publishing's RIFLE magazine. If that helps.

The Zoli is great rifle with some features you don't find on many doubles
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus it is accurate enough for longer shots as well
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Oregon45 Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/18/11
Very cool! Thanks for posting those pics.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/18/11
Gee's the more I see those Black Tails you have the more sleepless nights I get. Nice buck. These days all I want to do is to return to Alaska and be near those. The prefect game for me, just big enough for me to handle by myself with out getting a heart attack. Getting old!
Posted By: whelennut Re: For Double Rifle Nuts - 10/18/11
Phil,
You are living the life of Riley! grin
whelennut
© 24hourcampfire