Home
Posted By: rem06 which leupold for 375 H&H Mag? - 01/03/12
i have a Whitworth Mauser 375 H&H Magnum,Weaver steel bases and Burris Extreme rings.and have been debating over the following Leupold VX-3's:

and P.S. i am a long range hunter but this gun needs to react close also!

A huge percentage choose #1 for this purpose with #2 second choice but personally i like #3?

Maybe this can link up a few debates?

eye relief for recoil?

1. 1.5x5x20 eye relief (3.7"-4.4")
2. 1.75x6x32 "" (3.3"-4.4")
3. 2.5x8x36 "" (3.6"-4.5")

i like the eye relief of #1 and #3 but dang near bought #2 ???

i am still undecided but leaning heavily to #3? i may also post this in the big bore or dangerous game section as it certainly has to do with light gathering AND up close and personal
If you could handle 2.5X as fast as 1.5X, the 8X top end would beat 5X, IMHO.

I want a VX-3 2.5-8x36, fitted with a CDS. It will go on a .22-204 for a walking around rifle with an occasional long shot on such as coyotes and hogs.

What about the VX-R series? They're 30mm but have the Fire Dot reticle which looks pretty neat.

DF
I have the VX-3 in 2.5x8 with the Leupold Dot Reticle setting in Talley QR's. Like it a lot.

Mike
rem06,

What is your definition of "long-range hunter"? Just curious.

If a .375 is going to be used as an all-around rifle at both short and long range, why not just put a 3.5-10x or even a 4-16x on it?

Of the scopes you list I've used the 1.5-5x and 1.75-6x on a .375 H&H, and much prefer the 1.75-6x, because it's noticeably brighter and sharper.
#3, the 2.5x8 is the most practical Leupold scope, IMO, so I would choose it. I think of the .375 H&H as a .30-06 with a turbo (ballistics are similar), so why not use the same scope as you would use on your '06?

That said, I recently bought a Zeiss Conquest 1.8x5.5 off EBay and mounted it on my Whitworth. To me, this combo is as natural as PB&J on bread.
I have both scopes and decided since the 375 H&H is the most versatile it would wear the 2.5x8. The 1.75x6 sits on a 416 RM for the big stuff at shorter ranges.
My Whitworth is a 458 so it wears a Williams peep. My favorite 375 (I have 4)wears a 2.5-8 and I find it to be the perfect scope for the 375. I used 1.5-5 for years but it was like daylight and dark when I switched.
I have the 2.5-8X Leupold on my 375 H&H it's been good to 300 yards on zebra and 70 yards on Buff.

Posted By: OSB Re: which leupold for 375 H&H Mag? - 01/04/12
You might laugh but I like the old Leupold 2 X 7.
I have a Leupold 2.5-8X VX-3 EER scope on a 375 H&H Magnum handgun and like it.

I have a Leupold 2.5-8x Mark 4 on a 378 Weatherby and like it a lot.

I'm not laughing about the Leupold 2-7X scope. I use one on a small bore and it's fine for 300+ yard shots. If I remember correctly, that's also the scope I used on a 458 Lott before going to a Nightforce.
For the Whitworth, there is only one.... wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1.5-5 Leupold..... grin

( Though the 2.5-8x is getting more votes and makes alot of sense....)
That worked.
Originally Posted by Grumulkin
375 H&H Magnum handgun

You're sick!

FWIW, I have a 2.5-8x36 on my SS Classic Winchester in 375 and a plain old Vari-X II 3-9x40 on the Whitworth.
I also went with the Leupold 2.5x - 8x for my .375 Ruger RSM. I'm happy!
I have tried several from all top makers. I liked the 2.5-8 best and had the german 4a reticle put in. Makes the low light and quick alignment very easy. I passed my PH exam with this combination, that's the toughest qualification I know of and the gun and scope did the trick for me on every target segment I had to qualify on.
#1 with the illuminated reticle.
I have a heavy duplex 6X42 Leupie on mine and it works near and far.

Lefty C
Whitworth 375H&H, one piece Redfield Jr base with flip ghostring peep, Redfield rings and Leupold Vari X 3 1.5x5. Have several Vari X 3 2.5x8 and I'd ring one up zero it pull it off and use it for a backup if I ever got to Africa. Magnum Man
Originally Posted by OSB
You might laugh but I like the old Leupold 2 X 7.

Been my choice for years on my old pre-war 70 in 375 and on several 416s. I have never had one fail.
2. 1.75x6x32 "" (3.3"-4.4")
The one issue with the heavy duplex is the the crosshairs cover 6" at 300 yards. They are just too thick for the precision I like. The 4a has fine crosshairs
I have the 1.75x6 with the heavy duplex on my .375 H&H
That's the reticle I ordered! I also ordered the same one for my M77 Express 30-06. See, I did take your advice! grin
I have a antique 2 3/4 Redfield in Warne QD rings on mine. I'm thinking of up-grading to a 3 x 9, although I've been thinking on it for a very long time.
I have had a 1.5-5 Leupold for quite a few years and it has worked very well. I recently transferred it to my #1 30-40 Krag, and put a 2-8 scope on my Mauser 30-06. I like them both, but would go with the 1.5-5.

I do like a little more magnification when sighting in, but after that it doesn't matter much to me. Most, (virtually all) of my shots are under 250 yards tho.

While my personal choice would likely be a 3x. Of the choices you offer, I have used the 1.75-6, and really liked it. Tough scope. Sharp & bright. It survived just fine on a really lightweight .375 I used to have.

Jeff
The objective of the 2.5-8 is a well thought out diameter for the power the scope has. Another thing to consider is the funny way scopes are marked for power.

They are done much the same way a motorcycle engine is rated. A 250cc engine is really something like 246cc or 242cc but it's rounded off.

The 2.5-8 scope is really like 2.1 x 7.4 or something like that. I don't recall the exact power to the decimal place but it's not exactly 2.5-8. In any case with the 32mm Obj the light gathering at low power is quite good.

The 375HH is capable of extraordinary accuracy at long range. In the Drakensburg I have seen a very well known African hunter, that was hunting with me using this exact combination shoot Eland at 600 and 700 yards. He also shot Klipspringer and reedbok at 500 yards. The high end of the power gets you the precision needed at long ranges. It's the main reason that the Heavy dulpex would never be an option on my hunting rifles that could require longer range shots.

The 2.5-8 on my 375HH has been used by 4 people in Alaska this last year to shoot brown bears and goats. They shot that gun between them over 500 times in preparation for this trip.

Prior to this that same rifle has been used in Africa 18 years by countless hunters and myself. That scope is still going strong, although it was not the only one on there for the whole time. I did try several other scopes early on. It's a safe bet there is several 1000 shots through this rifle wearing this scope.

One last thought on this, I have mine mounted in Kimber QD rings, (now called Warne rings, but also the same style as Tally for the most part). These rings also have held up with flawless perfection. Another clever option I have is the Ashley outdoors Peep sight that slides onto the Kimber Base and gives me the Peep Sight option. So this rifle has open factory sights, peep sights, and the scope. Not a bad way to go when hunting in remote areas!
I like Option #3 and found it a good fit on my Sako .375 H & H. Great caliber for Eland and up.

To JJHACK,

I use the N.E.C.G. ghost ring peep sight as back up on my CZ. I've been thinking of doing the same for a SAKO. What can you tell me about Ashley outdoors Peep sight?

(I've also wanted to carry out the trick thing another step and put in a trap door in either the grip cap or butt to carry it in but haven't got around to that).
i'm pretty much sold on the 2.5x8x36 with heavy duplex. thanks for all the input. The rifle does not have open sights and i installes Weaver "steel" bases and (low) Burris XTR rings. the current 3x9x40 buckmasters is justoff the barrel so the 36MM will allow nice flip caps.

whth the 2.5x8x32 can you "see" the tip of tour barrels? I personally didn't like that with the 1.5 probably due to never seeing that before?

i still have some time on this, $70.00 in cabelas points smile avilable
I don't like the flip up scope caps. Too many times condensation formed on the lens when I needed to shoot. And they are to loud hunting close range from a stand when they open. IMO it's just easier to use nothing and make sure the lens is clean as you go.

Never lost a shot once without scope caps but I have myself and have seen others have condensation at the time of the shot. I'll bet I have 3-4 sets here in a drawer!
Richard, google Ashley outdoors to learn more I don't know much about the company. I just have their slide on peep sight. It's solid and dependable. Works like a charm.
It really depends on what you are going to use the rifle for. What is close range? What is long range?

My favorite is the 2.8-8x36mm. It is compact, bright and 2.5x is good for my close range and I have no ptoblem covering a 6" black bulls eye ay 500 yds. I hade one on my 338 RUM and never had a problem with eye relief.

Last year i bought a 1.75-6x32mm for a Marlin 1895 Guide gun 45-70. Talk about the perfect scope for the perfect cedar spamp rifle. This one is very bright too!

I used to have a Vari-X III 1.5-5x20mm on a M742 Carbine 30-06.
The scope was fine but I sold it 20+ years ago.

JD338
primary use is Pa black bear (which can get very big here,state record is over 800lbs and a friend near me shot a 763lb-er not long ago and a 500lb-er was shot @1/4 mile from me that i knew to be running through my yard)and i send in for elk every year and range is from up close and personal (no iron sights) 10yds in the woods and what I personally consider long range for this caliber and where i will be using it at, 500yds very easy to a limit of i would say 800yds max.
260NPT is what i have to load,so 800 may be 700 depending on my actual test fireing with what i choose for optics? 3x on the low end is what i want to drop down on a bit.

my friend shot the 763lb black bear (45 min away from here) with a 270 and said never again! 5 shots and immediately purchaced a 35 Wehlen.

my back up hammer is a 300 Norma Mag shooting a 208Amax currently at 3200fps but needs backed down to 3100fps and supports a 6.5x20x50 Luepold LRT. It is my primary long range rig (next to a full custom 6.5x47 Lapua-140 Berger NXS 5.5x22x50 for pronghorn,groundhogs and deer sixe game) (5.5x-6.5x is tough in the woods) and i shot a whitetail at 10yds this year at 10yds 3x was hard to use! but it worked

I would love to go to Africa some day and the 375 is sure to go!

shed more light on the subject?
I like where you're going with this rifle...
Ive always liked the lower ranges of variables- 2-7 2-8, etc. My most recent purchase was a 1.75-6 with the heavy duplex reticle. Ive been favorably impressed with it so far with the exception, Id like the crosshairs to taper in to the center a bit more gradually. Be that as it may it makes shooting tidy groups at 200yd quite easy. This is mounted on my new next trip to Africa rifle, a Howa 375 Ruger. The rifle has eaten one Nikon Monarch, and a set of rings(scope was too heavy) So far mostly just used to shoot paper and gongs, deer wouldn't cooperate(all I saw was lil bambi sized). Its been dependable, repeatable, and bright. Good eye relief, and fortunately I don't stock crawl anymore. I like it and it hasn't broken.
Guy, I think that should be a reasonable task for this rifle?

The rifle has eaten one Nikon Monarch, and a set of rings(scope was too heavy)

I do have a 3-12x42 Nikon Monarch setting in Burris XTR rings that i think it will destroy too shocked the current plan is to use it as a "switch scope" for the 300 Norma Mag that has a nice Muzzle brake and lots less recoil until i find something better to use it for.
The 2.5-8 scope is really like 2.1 x 7.4 or something like that. I don't recall the exact power to the decimal place but it's not exactly 2.5-8. In any case with the 32mm Obj the light gathering at low power is quite good.

2.6-7.8 actually. I use one cheerfully on my .458, and a 3.5-10 B&C and Zeiss 3-9 Dialyt on my .375s.I've got a 1.75-6 on my .416 Rigby. Truth to be told, I could use a 3.5-10 on practically all my hunting rifles and not feel like I was missing out on anything.
ANother vote for the 1.75X6. The 1.5X5 is a great scope, just as long as you dont plan to use it in low light. Kinda sucks there.
"Guy, I think that should be a reasonable task for this rifle?"

Well I sure think so! If the bear doesn't drop on the spot, you should still have one heck of a blood trail. The accuracy of a good .375 is impressive and I've no doubt that you'll be able to make some great shots with it. I went with the 1.5-5x on mine, and am happy with that choice, but a more powerful scope would work very well.
One more vote for the 1.75-6X with WD
1.75-6x is what I use in my 375s and reserve the 1.5-5x for the 416-404 class of mediums. In the 375s the 6x setting with std duplex is enough magnification out to 300-325 yds. Can't say beyond that range as I haven't/don't use my 375s further on game or paper.

Agree with MD on the brightness advantage of the 1.75-6x32 over the 1.5-5x scopes.
I have the 2.5-8x, and I love it. If I were going to have a rifle that was strictly for dangerous game, it wouldn't be a .375 anyway, so I like the versatility of the 8x upper end.

I have to say that the 1.75-6x would be awesome as well.
lots of good points here from people that use them. I have < 1 month to go before deciding. #2 or #3 will be the winner

i been looking for them locally to compare side by side but no luck.

can you see the front sight or the barrel tip with the 1.75 or 2.5? i know you can with the 1.5
FWIW: I've never been to Africa before, but have committed to a Tanzania trip this year with Buffalo as the primary species in mind. I own a Winchester Model 70 "Classic" in .375 H&H that I've used in Alaska for Brown Bear and decided to purchase a Trijicon red triangle post 1-4x 30mm scope as my primary sight. I already own a Leupold 1.75-6x VXIII and will bring that along as "back-up", but believe the Trijicon scope will be more effective in poor light or close up conditions.
You can't be making a mistake with either a 1.75-6 or 2.5-8x. Personally I think a 6x is plenty of magnification for even long range shooting with a .375. I've shot coyotes at 500 yd with a straight 6x and most of my .375 shooting is at bigger game than that. Shot a few coyotes with them though. I have a 1.75x6 on my .416 Rigby with a No. 4 reticle. It is just right, I really like the no. 4, very bold with a smaller crosshair for precision.
I'm going to settle on the 1.75x6 smile

i needed a scope for my 22Mag so i bought the Rimfire (paralax@50yds) 2-7x35 Vortex Diamondback which gave me a "look" at 2 power, as i am so used to 3x9x40's and higher.

So I believe i have a winner! thanks to all for the great info.
375 H&H Whitworth in hand,rings lapped and sweet cabela's coupon with points. here we go....
off to Cabelas in am for final decision.I'm going to try VX3 1.5-1.75-2.5 and decide.
and report back of course smile

BTW the Vortex sucks for the 22Mag! i"m taking it too and trying the leuy 2-7 Rimfire on it! and maybe the 3x9? it needs a proper fit

i tried them all, and the winner is...............

1.5x5 VX-3!

the 2.5x8 was too narrow to fit in my current rings

the 1.75x6 had really narrow duplex reticle and when i eyed them sies by side in the eye chart they had hanging/field of view and over all like ness. the 1.5x5 came home.

thx for all the help! now to put it on and down something with it!
Just as long as low light hunting isn't in your plans. If money was not an issue, the Z6 1.75X10 is it. Total versatility and light transmission is super.
rem06

I'm not sure I follow the logic on "current rings"

If you want what is right, then get the right rings/bases. What is the value of the whole system if you're limiting yourself by a set of rings?

If those rings have some sentimental value or they are in some way special..... well okay, but this would be the first time I've ever in my whole career heard of a rifle being developed for Africa starting with the choice of rings!

Personally, I think it's a huge mistake to limit the precision you will have in your hands to the 1.5-5 power. It's your call lots of people do choose those lower power scopes for the 375. But to do it based on the rings is certainly an unusual decision.
the decision was definately not based on the rings, that would be silly! as you said LOL. It was eye relief and "feel" when i shouldered" and there was an eye chart on the wall,and believe me,i tried them all! (all 3 mentioned that is). i wanted low power and 1.5-1.75 or 5-6, i truely liked the smaller. 2.5x8 is about what i had on it before, 3x9 buckmasters

I never had anything smaller than a 3x9x40 so when i actually get this into the field and out of the store! I may find out differently? but as of now, It is just about to go to the range next friday and send a few out of the bbl....

when i shoulder the gun with this scope, i don't have to lean into it a little bit to get a full field of view and that is what i ultimately wanted, i had to lean into the 1.75 and definately the 3x9 buckmasters.

i may try the 2.5x8 on the next project, a 308 ruger M77 carbine smile

just like this one, "borrowed pic" i want QD's on it to be able to use the awesome open sights if needed? The 375 don't have open sights,hense the lower power choice too?

[Linked Image]
I've had an old, new then, Leupold Vari-X II on my Winchester 70 in 375 H&H since it was new. The scope has held its zero for better than 20 years and is 1 of the few rifles that I've had that long, or longer, that hasn't gone through some sort of metamorphosis. It still has the Leupold 2-base turn-in bases and rings that were installed when all of the components were NIB.

If I was going to do it today, I think that I'd opt for whatever is the current Leupold 2-7x33 with a heavy duplex reticle. That said, I am decidedly NOT a long range hunter, so the heavy duplex reticle doesn't subtend too much of whatever I would shoot with it, at the ranges that would fall within my personal MOA (My Own Ability). I have a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 Shotgun scope on my Interarms Mark X in 9.3x62, installed on Warne bases and QR rings so that I can use the open sights if need be. I've yet to have a scope fail, but as a devoted follower of the "rule of 7 Ps", I plan for the worst case scenario.

Jeff
I have a 1-4x Leupold mounted on a Leupold one-piece base and held by Leupold standard rings. Works very will when snap-shooting in thick alders.
[Linked Image]

top rings not fully secured yet, as stated previous, this doesn't have open sights and will hopefully get them in the future? I'm not headed for dangerous game "yet", just black bear/elk or maybe a deer to try it on.

Whitworth mauser controlled feed action with a bit better than a tupperware stock. Trigger is really nice and it just happens to be what i got smile

[Linked Image]

what kind of open sights can be smithed onto this?

I have been eyeing up the Sako Kodiak but this will have to be the toy project for now smile

then i can get the QD rings that it should have
Looks good!

If you ever get the idea to replace that stock, give good ol' Joel Russo a thought:

http://www.russoriflestocks.com/

Re the scope - I had a 1-4x Leupold at least 25 years ago and often thought it was the best close-in scope for a hunter. Now I've got the 1.5-5x Leupold on my .375 and like it very much. I think you'll be happy.

Not enough magnification? Maybe... Not good enough in low light? Maybe... I can't find fault with mine though.

Congrats on your choice of glass - hope you can find the sights you want as well!

Regards, Guy
I have used different scopes at times on my 375. The last trip to Africa I used a Z6 1-6 on a lion and a 1.7-10 TDS Z6 on everything else. I love the 1-6 but the 1.7-10 has not been off of my 375 on either side of the ocean since. It is truly versatile in my hands with the TDS reticle and the 270 gr TSX bullet.

On my rifle of choice it mates up well with rail scopes mounts. Both of my Z6 are rail scopes and are about as perfect a set up for my use as anything I have used. No rings, nothing in the way for adjustment of eye relief and you never have a crooked reticle. They mount low as well. These scopes never caught on in the US and never will as most really don't need this type of set up. But for my choice of weapon it is exceptional.
Blaser guy - could you show us a photo of your rifle with the rail scope mount?
Blaser, what reticle do you have on the Z6?
Jorge on the 1,7-10 I have the TDS Reticle
On the 1-6 I have the circle dot.
I really wished I would have gone with illumiated CD in the 1-6. At the time it helped my budget to not go that route but after using a true 1X scope for awhile now I could see value in a 1X red dot scope that can go to 6X.
I have not had the chance to see the S&B 1-8 flash dot but on paper it interests me very much as an illuminated scope in this power range.
Check out the new Zeiss Duralyts. The have an ill reticle 2X8X42 that looks promising and the price is right
Can you get them in the US now?
Cameraland has them for sale or at least taking orders. I might just have to get one with the ill reticle.
I fondled the 2-8x42mm and 1.2-5x36mm Duralyt's at SCI this weekend. Not impressed as they look and feel "clunky". Ocular is huge. I can see this being an issue mounting low.

The new Leupold VX-6 1-6x24mm with the illuminated German #4 would be a serious consideration IMHO. The FOV is outstanding, and the eye relief and "eye box" is very generous. My initial impression is Leupold finally got the rheostat right for once. The German #4 on the VX-6 compares quite favorably to their Post & Duplex reticle. A nice surprise, as their previous "versions" left a lot to be desired.
So are the Leupies available?
I know the 2-12x42 are in stock and shipping. Not sure on the 1-6x24mm. If not, I'm sure they soon will be.
Rick doesn't have them yet. what's the price range?
SWFA has them listed on their sight for a nickle under 800 for the non-illuminated and an extra Benjamin for the illuminated.
thanks! but a 24mm lens is still way to small. WTF can't they make a 42??? or even a 40???
I am with you on a 42 on a true 1x with up to six magnification

I must ad that I was able to track a hyena right at dark once with the 1.5-5 30mm leupy from about 60 yards out right up to spitting distance when I had to stop to change my underwear when he walked to the back of the blind. I had enough optics to have shot the whole way and was only hindered by lack of quota
I had that same Leupie on my 338 and found it pretty useless in the dark swamps of South Carolina. I was trying it out to see how it did. I have a line on a Swaro Z6 2X10 but it has thin crosshairs which are not optimum for dark use. That Zeiss Duralyt and the Leupie V6 in 2X8 seem promising and for less $$$
Trijicon is the answer.
Have you used the Trijicon in Africa?
2 of your #2 please in talley/s.
Posted By: dcd Re: which leupold for 375 H&H Mag? - 02/09/12
2.5x8 on my sako. good luck
© 24hourcampfire