Home
Posted By: Lionclaw Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
I have narrowed down to two .375 H&H. The Browning X-bolt Medallion and the CZ-550 Safari.Both are priced about the same at $1000.00 approx Please advise on the Pros and Cons of each gun.
Is there anything to be concerend about either.
Many Thanks.
Posted By: richardca99 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
I'm going to catch hell for this, but...neither?

Winchester Model 70 Safari Express or Weatherby Mark V.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
If those are your choices, then by far the CZ. The Medallion is a pretty crappy rifle in my opinion. Pot metal trigger guard, overly complicated bolt design that is succeptible to dirt and failure to extract, the barrel is too long and for Dangerous Game I prefer the CZ's controlled round feed. Not a must, just a preference on my part.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
Originally Posted by richardca99

Yep...that...
Posted By: labdad Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
CZ if those are your choices.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
You couldn't give me a Browning for the reasons already listed above.

Between the two, the CZ550 hands down. A much better made rifle, and better materials. Although, IMHO the CZ needs a lot of work and tweaking to be ready for DG.

As already mentioned, I'd get a M70 Safari Express instead.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
Originally Posted by richardca99

Take a good look at the Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger.
Posted By: ACWEAPONS Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
WINCHESTER.
Posted By: mound Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
Get the CZ and get AHR to give the once over and you will have a great rifle.you will have to spend a little more money but it will be worth it and personal opinion is it is better than the others mentioned
Posted By: dale06 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
I never looked at either of your choices, and bought a Win saferi express about a year ago.
Shoots very accurately and going to Zimbabwe in August.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
Originally Posted by ACWEAPONS
WINCHESTER.

Yep, and they're being sold at CDNN for $1,099.00 right now. wink
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
Of those two choices, CZ hands down. I would also look at a Kimber, the Winchester and the Ruger in 375 Ruger. Would also consider a 9.3x62, depending on what I wanted to do.
Posted By: CRS Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
I would say the CZ, but you should go out an handle as many different rifles as possible and pick the one that feels the best to you.

My short list would be in no particular order.
1. CZ
2. Winchester
3. Ruger
4. Kimber
5. Whitworth
6. BRNO
7. Remington
and any other reliable solidly built rifle being manufactured that I may have missed.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/13/12
I cannot say anything good or bad about many other manufacturers because I have no idea how they are or how they handle.

I have been using a CZ for 14 years and it has never let me down. My gunsmith said that a CZ will need some tweeking before it functions properly. I bought the 375 second hand and did nothing with it, and have done nothing to it since I bought it. It still shoots 100% and many visiting hunters use it with success. I have a recoil reducer fitted and had a 23 yo young lady use it to great effect.

The second CZ I got was new and had to have some work done on the extractor and there was a slight feeding problem when rechambering for rapid fire. One visit to the gunsmith and that was sorted.

I am sure many other people have other types of rifles and are happy with it, but this CZ is mine, and I like it.
Posted By: eyeguy Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
I have a 375 H&H in a stainless weatherby mark V. It worked well for me on Kodiak and hope to take it to Africa some day.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Pieter,

What type recoil reducing device did you use.

DF
Originally Posted by eyeguy
I have a 375 H&H in a stainless weatherby mark V. It worked well for me on Kodiak and hope to take it to Africa some day.

Mark V SS sounds good. To me the Mark V is about the fastest action for a second shot of about any I've handled. Although push feed, they seem to cycle rounds very well.

I have a M-70 Classic Super Express in .375 H&H. I don't like the fold down rear sight. I see no need for a fold down, as a low power scope sees the front, but not the rear sight to begin with. I'm thinking about shortening the 24" barrel to 22", replace factory sights with NECG front ramp and single pop up rear, Cerakote flat black and fit a black McM Safari, using factory bottom metal.

The M-70 is pretty heavy. I hope to lose some wt. with the above alterations. IMHO, the CZ's are heavier and bulkier than M-70's, although solid, well build guns. It seems to me that M-70's are smoother out of the box than CZ's. A worked over CZ is a great gun, no doubt.

DF
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by Lionclaw
I have narrowed down to two .375 H&H. The Browning X-bolt Medallion and the CZ-550 Safari.Both are priced about the same at $1000.00 approx Please advise on the Pros and Cons of each gun.
Is there anything to be concerend about either.
Many Thanks.

I wouldn't bother with either of those actions. But, if you're looking for something pretty instead of something functional, then go for it.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
You can count me in the M70 CRF crowd.

Mike
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Winchester all the way!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by eyeguy

Mark V SS sounds good. To me the Mark V is about the fastest action for a second shot of about any I've handled. Although push feed, they seem to cycle rounds very well.

I have a M-70 Classic Super Express in .375 H&H. I don't like the fold down rear sight. I see no need for a fold down, as a low power scope sees the front, but not the rear sight to begin with. I'm thinking about shortening the 24" barrel to 22", replace factory sights with NECG front ramp and single pop up rear, Cerakote flat black and fit a black McM Safari, using factory bottom metal.

The M-70 is pretty heavy. I hope to lose some wt. with the above alterations. IMHO, the CZ's are heavier and bulkier than M-70's, although solid, well build guns. It seems to me that M-70's are smoother out of the box than CZ's. A worked over CZ is a great gun, no doubt.

DF

To me, most factory 375's are heavier than they need to be...a Classic with factory tube is a club,even with a synthetic.

The only way I could ever get them right was to build custom,and all it really takes is a barrel in the range of a #4,and a good sythetic.Mine comes in at 8# even with a 4X leupold on board.I built it back in the 80's and it still works really well, and is a pleasure to lug around, weihing no more, and even less, that a run-of-the-mill 300 or 338 Win Mag.

I helped a friend spec a left hand M70 with Brown stock,and it came out really nice, a bit under 8 pounds with a Lilja SS tube.

Dirtfarmer if you PM me your email address I can forward pictures of this rifle. Campfire members may really like this one I think. smile
I'm trying to make the factory barrel work, at least for now, by using a factory profile McM Safari stock without drop belly mag. and shortening the 24" bbl to 22". With the Leupold VX-III, 1.5-5x20, it's now in the 10+# range. Hopefully I can get it into the 9+# range, complete with scope and rings, etc., a weight that I think I can live with.

DF

Posted By: Pulicords Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
+1, although I've only just set up my first trip to Africa (the Selous) this fall. I own a Winchester Model 70 "Classic" in .375 H&H already and have taken a brown bear with it in Alaska. I've very comfortable shooting this gun and plan on bringing it with me for buffalo with 350 grain (heavy for caliber) ammunition.

I decided to bring a second rifle in the same caliber and am in the process of purchasing a Ruger #1 Tropical. I like the classic design of these single shots and have always brought along a "back-up" rifle or shotgun on long distance hunting trips. Although the probability is remote, firearms are mechanical instruments and even the best of them can experience malfunctions or unexpected damage. The caliber isn't so powerful that I can't use either rifle for plains game and since I can legally take two buffalo (if all works out), why not use the single shot for one of them?
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
I took an Interarms pre Mark X when I went to Africa (thanks Luv2Safari) and I could not ask a rifle to do any better in function or killing power... but,of the two you mentioned, CZ would be my choice too...
Posted By: toad Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
I'm trying to make the factory barrel work, at least for now, by using a factory profile McM Safari stock without drop belly mag. and shortening the 24" bbl to 22". With the Leupold VX-III, 1.5-5x20, it's now in the 10+# range. Hopefully I can get it into the 9+# range, complete with scope and rings, etc., a weight that I think I can live with.

DF

M70, .375, barrel cut to 21", factory tupperware, three rounds, Leupold 1.5-5 MK4 = 9# 8 oz. i do not remember if that weight included the sling, but the MK4 scope i have on it is heavier than the VX-3 model.

[Linked Image]
Toad,

You think 21" is the way to go? I was looking at 22", but I like the way your gun looks. I guess cutting more off an already heavy bbl will lighten it even more.

DF

Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
You can count me in the M70 CRF crowd.

Mike

Yep, what Mike said. And a few others.

If it isn't one of your choices, it should be. IMHO of course! grin
DF, i would go 22" just as fast as i went 21". i don't remember what made me decide 21", but it was basically a coin toss.

this gun is .375 AI, and maybe i decided that i could get enough extra speed from the AI to make up for the shorter tube.
Posted By: blaser_guy Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Pulicords make sure that you can have two guns with same caliber where you are going and any country you may be checking a gun through on the way. It may not be legal.
Posted By: portsider Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Winchester.
Nice rig,how's the recoil?
Originally Posted by portsider
Nice rig,how's the recoil?
recoil is not bad. it is, after all, a 9.5# .375.

i have shot 50 rounds from the bench (while fireforming brass) in one day, but the last few rounds was not that fun.

Posted By: Lionclaw Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Many Thanks to all of you for the advise. It appears like both the CZ-550 and M-70 are about as good from all the opinions. A store close by already has the CZ for $1030.00 while I would have to special order the Model-70 for about $1300.00
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
LC: If you are expanding your options to include the M-70, that would be my uquestionable first choice. jorge
Posted By: 30338 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Whitworth was mentioned once or maybe twice. Buddy of mine has one earmarked to give me that is very close to new. Only handled that rig one time but sure felt good. Any other feedback on the Whitworth now that the undisputed champ is the Model 70?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Whitworth's would be great also if you could find one.
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12
Originally Posted by 30338
Whitworth was mentioned once or maybe twice. Buddy of mine has one earmarked to give me that is very close to new. Only handled that rig one time but sure felt good. Any other feedback on the Whitworth now that the undisputed champ is the Model 70?

Love 'em.

I wouldn't turn one down... smile

DF
Posted By: ingwe Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/14/12

DF

Should tell you what I think.. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: medicman Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
I got a CZ from Sako Alberta and am absolutely satisfied. It carries well on my shoulder and is a charmer when it comes to recoil. It also shoots cloverleafs with 270 or 300 gr bullets so I admit to a distinct predjudice.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
If you trust a Remington action to do what you want, it would be really tough to beat the XCR II for a factory rifle. Ready to roll, light enough to carry, corrosion resistant, accurate.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by ingwe

DF

Should tell you what I think.. grin

[Linked Image]

Two bad looking bulls, one very nice looking rifle... smile

DF
Posted By: colorado Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If you trust a Remington action to do what you want, it would be really tough to beat the XCR II for a factory rifle. Ready to roll, light enough to carry, corrosion resistant, accurate.

My Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby, weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope. Worked fine in Alaska after some work by my gunsmith Kevin Weaver ...

[Linked Image]

That being said, for a 375 H&H if I didn't want stainless / synthetic I go new Win M70 first, CZ second. For the bigger calibers (416 Rigby, 450 Rigby, 505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffery) it's CZ all the way unless you can afford custom.

Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Pieter,

What type recoil reducing device did you use.

DF

I'll have to find out what it's called. A long black tube with a cylinder and counter spring is all I can remember! Will get back to you on that but the gunsmith said it takes about 20% off the recoil.
Posted By: safariman Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Yep. Winchester, CZ, Kimber.... Mine in the Avatar (416Rigby) is a much worked over CZ but I used it as issued for a long time before I started customizing and it was great. In 375 H&H I would put a CZ on a diet like I am doing with my 416 so for that caliber I would be looking for a Winchester model 70 period.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12

Mine sure worked well....one shot on this guy did it....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
Pulicords make sure that you can have two guns with same caliber where you are going and any country you may be checking a gun through on the way. It may not be legal.

Very true. I met with a lady from SA (she runs a business that expedites hunter's firearms into and out of SA) who advised that my girls will have to share one rifle, because, as the only adult, I can't take two firearms of the same caliber into SA.
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Originally Posted by AFTERUM

Mine sure worked well....one shot on this guy did it....

[Linked Image]

Nice mare. Congrats !!!!
Posted By: JORGE01 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
In my opinion these are the best rifles with their advantages and disadvantages:

The CZ550 (warning this is one of my favorite rifles):
Advantages:
1-Controlled round feeding.
2-Integral scope bases.
3-Relatively easy bolt to disassemble and clean without tools.
4-Extremely strong and well built.
5-Simple safety on or off (2 position).
6-One piece bolt (Not welded as far as I know).
7-Good emergency sights.
Disadvantages:
1-Complicated trigger, though I must say I have never had trouble with it, I believe you can replace it.
2-The controlled round feeding can be iffy but that can be fixed.
3-Too long a barrel 25 inches, but can be shortened.

The Winchester Mod. 70 (the new one from FN, does not apply to pre 64 model):
Advantages:
1-Controlled round feeding.
Disadvantages:
1-Too complicated a trigger (in comparison to pre 64).
2-No integral bases.
3-Welded bolt, can break

The Ruger 77 (African in 375 Ruger):
Advantages:
1-One piece bolt.
2-Simple trigger.
3-Controlled round feeding.
4-Good barrel length, slim and trim.
5-Good iron sight, very simple and strong.
Disadvantages:
1-The stock can crack (replace with a Ruger synthetic simple and cheap).
2-The 375 Ruger round is not as available as the 375 H&H.

The Whitworth (Mauser 98 is another favorite of mine):
Advantages:
1-Mauser 98 action (simple strong, etc.).
2-Easy to fix.
3-Controlled round feeding.
Disadvantages:
1- No integral scope bases
Note: this a Mauser 98 (remember this action was designed to hunt the most dangerous animal in the world: Man) commercial action if it were not for the lack of integral scope bases it would be perfect.

Another note, I harp on integral scope bases because there are no screws to break or become loose at the worst moment. In other words the less junk on a rifle especially one that your life may depend the better. Remember Murphy (of Murphy's law) was Irish therefore he was an eternal optimist.
Posted By: RAC Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
I took a CZ 550 375 to Africa on my first hunt with JJHack. I shot it prior to the trip 100's of times and also deer hunted with it. Never had a single problem what so ever. My biggest problem is that it is a heavy rifle but I took it out to my farm every day and walked around with it.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
[/quote] Nice mare. Congrats !!!! [/quote]

Yeah right! Maverick, teach me just how you saw that please?
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
he's just joshin' Pieter, anyone can tell that's a picture of two stallions!!! laugh
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
[/quote] Nice mare. Congrats !!!!

Yeah right! Maverick, teach me just how you saw that please? [/quote]

Easily enough.
he's just joshin' Pieter, anyone can tell that's a picture of two stallions!!! laugh

Give me a break ....
I just updated prices today on a Whitworth 375 in classifieds.
Les
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
I just updated prices today on a Whitworth 375 in classifieds.
Les

Les:

How long is the barrel? Is it stripped [no sling and no scope]? Do you happen to know the serial number?

Maverick
Posted By: Gary O Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
M-70...
Posted By: Pulicords Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/15/12
Thanks, I'll check with my outfitter/PH. According to the info he sent, I can bring as many as three guns (but he didn't indicate any restrictions re: same caliber). I plan on flying to my destination (Tanzania) via the Netherlands, w/o a stop in South Africa.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
Originally Posted by Pulicords
I plan on flying to my destination (Tanzania) via the Netherlands, w/o a stop in South Africa.

Just make sure what the Netherlands think of rifles passing through their country. A long time ago someone said something about them being uneasy with firearms. I have no idea about what they think these days though. You can even bring 3 firearms to South Africa, problem mainly is with the airlines I believe who prefer only 2.

Enjoy your trip!
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Give me a break ....

Hee hee hee. I enjoyed it thanks! grin
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Give me a break ....

Hee hee hee. I enjoyed it thanks! grin

You didn't read that right. It's an American phrase which means something altogether different than how you read it .....
I do apologize, what did you mean/how should I have read it?
Posted By: rem06 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
I hear no mention of Sako?

I have been admiring the Kodiak to be more specific,but i have a Whitworth in 375 H&H.
Originally Posted by rem06
I hear no mention of Sako?

I have been admiring the Kodiak to be more specific,but i have a Whitworth in 375 H&H.

Sako makes a nice handling rifle. I have one, but I always use the Whitworth, instead. Pretty much the only time the Sako is used, is when a client wants to borrow it while hunting.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12

you read it right....it means what the words say

you read it right....it means what the words say

Oh really? And in the American vernacular, how is that?
The Zebra was a stallion. I made a little joke. Pieter got it.
Guess you didn't.
The Zebra was a stallion. I made a little joke. Pieter got it.
Guess you didn't.

From what I can see, sure doesn't look like a male to me. And who shoots male zebras anyway? I mean, from a trophy standpoint?
your number of trips to Africa?
Posted By: Pulicords Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
Originally Posted by Pulicords
I plan on flying to my destination (Tanzania) via the Netherlands, w/o a stop in South Africa.

Just make sure what the Netherlands think of rifles passing through their country. A long time ago someone said something about them being uneasy with firearms. I have no idea about what they think these days though. You can even bring 3 firearms to South Africa, problem mainly is with the airlines I believe who prefer only 2.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the advice, but we're only changing planes there with a 4-5 hour layover between flights. Our PH/outfitter recommends KLM and he's had no problems with them over the years, so we should be okay.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
If you stop in Holland, you MUST obtain a permit BEFORE you leave on your trip or they will take your guns in Amsterdam. Contact any of the travel agents mentioned here for the correct procedure prior to departure.

Jorge your right, traveling with firearm through airports in Europe better go through Germany, France, Swiss than trough England or Holland...

Dom
Posted By: rem06 Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/16/12
Sako makes a nice handling rifle. I have one, but I always use the Whitworth, instead. Pretty much the only time the Sako is used, is when a client wants to borrow it while hunting.

very interesting. is it a controlled feed? thats the only thing i haven't discovered. I saw them in the store and read about them, aka: afraid to pick one up because then there is that feeling of "take me home" and i get afraid of that sometimes at &1800+ then mounts and scope smile

i really want to hunt Africa sometime

Posted By: Pulicords Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/18/12
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If you stop in Holland, you MUST obtain a permit BEFORE you leave on your trip or they will take your guns in Amsterdam. Contact any of the travel agents mentioned here for the correct procedure prior to departure.

Thanks. Will do.
Originally Posted by jorgeI

the good news is wherever you go after Holland you usually get a free frisk.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/18/12
Originally Posted by Lionclaw
Many Thanks to all of you for the advise. It appears like both the CZ-550 and M-70 are about as good from all the opinions. A store close by already has the CZ for $1030.00 while I would have to special order the Model-70 for about $1300.00

I have a CZ 550 .375 H&H and it has performed well for the 45 rounds I have shot at rocks and paper. grin Feeds well and the set trigger is actully pretty nice.

It was bedded by CZ custom shop and had cross bolts installed while there. Never had a scope on it.

If your interested in it send me a PM , I'll make ya a deal.
Posted By: Genehunter Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 02/18/12
Yup, I had that problem too. Picked it up, brought it home, and now my CZ is for sale.
Sent you a PM, I have a Model 70 Controlled Round Feed in .375 H&H that I am selling. Too small a bore for me..... ;-)
Posted By: duckster Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 03/07/12
Winchester M70
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 03/07/12
For me CZ or a Withworth or BRNO. Basically all CRF Mauser designs. Browning other than an FN Mauser action no. Ask what your PH suggests. Bet you will find the above on his list.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 03/09/12
No one mentioned a Zastava or only indirectly as a Whitworth.

There were some great deals on these and if it is a rifle you will have tweaked by a gunsmith anyway these would be a great starting point.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 03/19/12
FWIW, if I didn't already own a Sako AV in 375 H&H, I'd go with the M70! Actually, I have an extra Winlite (McMillan) stock waiting for a SS M70 in 375 H&H.
Posted By: bluefish Re: Help Choosing .375 H&H - 03/20/12
Since I own a Winchester in 375 and am expecting a Zastava in 3006 which, hunting gods willing, will one day be stablemates with a 375 I'd say either of those two. I recently was in the Texas Hill Country and visited with gunsmith Tip Burns who was working on a few of the Zastavas and a couple of Whitworths. They are the same and they are commercial FNs as he was quick to point out. What's not to like? They fed beautifully and have a satisfying Mauser feel. Then again, a well tuned Winchester is no slouch.

I'd say get the one which feels best. Between the two the Whitworth Express rifle in 375 feels the most 375-ish to me in the hand. In fact, that stock feels so good I'd have no problem putting a 25 or 26" barrel on it providing it was scaled to match the proportions of the stock though I'd probably keep them both at 24".
© 24hourcampfire