Home
Posted By: JWP58 Upland safari? - 02/29/12
I've seen some write ups about them, and just wondering if anyone around here has gone on an upland safari?

The first hand experiences i've seen were with pointing dogs in S.A. i beleive.

I couldnt think of anything better than an upland safari with some big game mixed in along the way. That would truely be a trip of a lifetime.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Upland safari? - 02/29/12
I've incorporated a lot of bird shooting into my hunts, and I love to hunt francolin. Depending on where you are, there many varieties, and all are good sport and good eating.

I shot over pointing dogs in Zimbabwe in 2002. We shot francolin and guinea. The francolin there would sit to a pointer, and the guinea would after breaking up a flock into singles.

Yellow-headed francolin from Masailand...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: medicman Re: Upland safari? - 02/29/12
I missed that part of the hunt planning, and the PH was a little angry with me for head shooting a couple guinia males with my 06. That was actually what its first two kills were. He insisted I shoot my gemsbok with the 06 so that it had killed an animal in Africa. I guess he did not consider them as game animals. smile
Posted By: GuyM Re: Upland safari? - 03/01/12
medicman - sounds like the story of Ruark getting in trouble with Selby for messing with his shottygun and birds instead of hunting big game!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Upland safari? - 03/01/12
That's funny. I guess to the PH, it would be like you or me taking some guy whitetail hunting and he starts shooting possums and coons.... laugh

DF
Posted By: Tony Re: Upland safari? - 03/01/12
Not upland but while not part of the plan I did some great waterfowl hunting when I hunted South Africa in 2002.
Posted By: JWP58 Re: Upland safari? - 03/01/12
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=264202&hilit=africa

Thats one write up i've read, looks like a blast for about the cost of a trip to argentina.
© 24hourcampfire