Home
Posted By: patberg Rifle - 06/30/13
Question for guys that hunt in Africa. If you could have only one rifle for hunting all African game, which caliber would you choose? Thanks for your opinion.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
375 H&H
Posted By: ODay450 Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+1.

You never know what animals you will run across around the next bend. IMHO, your rifle should bel capable of taking the largest animal hunted. The .375 will take all plains game and dangerous game up to buffalo and as been used on elephant. It's the minimum caliber for DG in many countries.

I would prefer a .416 or bigger for buffalo or larger DG. But, as many authors have stated the .375 H&H is the best all around African cartridge and has been for 100 years.
Posted By: WoodsStalker Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+2
Posted By: maddog Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+3

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+4
Posted By: blaser_guy Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
375 H&H

I just added a 375 Weatherby. Now I can take a 375 H&H along with the 375 Weatherby and use the same 375 H&H ammo. Two rifles with different stamps on the barrel to appease the customs people with the regulation of not taking two rifles of the same cartridge.
Now this is 375 loonieness to exaggeration!
Why?
Maybe a double 375 H&H loaded with a solid for shooting some small stuff that you happen upon. ( for the double guys out there I didn't say DG I said PG for the H&H double)
I have always wanted to shoot a buffalo with a 375 Weatherby and I would carry less Weatherby ammo but more H&H ammo (along with another scope with zero for H&H ammo)
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+ 5 on 375
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Rifle - 06/30/13
+6 on 375 h&h
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Rifle - 07/01/13
I'm going to disagree and go with a 9.3x62 with 286 TTX. I know it works, cause I've done it. I've seen no dif tween it and the 375.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Rifle - 07/01/13
+7 on .375 H&H
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Rifle - 07/01/13

7X57

There I said it, I feel better.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Rifle - 07/01/13
+8 on .375 H&H
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Rifle - 07/01/13
375 Weatherby with 375 H&H running almost a "dead" heat. I like the bit extra my rifle in 375 Wby has, but I would never part with my H&H.

A 270gr bullet in either has a very similar trajectory to that of a 30-06 with 180s of similar design.

You can always shoot the 375 H&H ammo in the Wby and not lose much oomph.

A 9.3X62 is a nice round and doesn't hammer the shooter. It isn't as commonly found there as the 375 H&H, but it is well received by most PHs.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Rifle - 07/02/13
I'd choose .416RemMag for my one rifle. I might take two scopes sighted for 350gr Swift and 400gr Swift bullets using QD mounts but the .416 has killed all from Bushbuck to Elephant for me over there. I never feel under gunned and it shoots flat enough to be a good plains game caliber out to 200 yards.
Posted By: Sevens Re: Rifle - 07/02/13
I too would vote a 416 Rem Mag. You're not arming yourself to shoot duikers, you want a gun to shoot elephants.
Posted By: WBill Re: Rifle - 07/02/13
The 375 H&H has proven itself across Africa on everything. Yeah you can shoot bigger but why? It's killed a bunch of elephants also.
Posted By: Jer0m3fMurphy Re: Rifle - 07/02/13
I used a .375 H&H magnum with 300 grain Swift A-Frame's @ 2600 fps on my Cape Buffalo and it died after one shot at approximately 35 yards. It ran about 50 yards and collapsed. No drama at all. This, of course, is not much of a sampling of what a .375 can do. I do believe that one could hunt everything on the earth with one if they wanted to. I can definitely see how one may want something larger for elephant. Before I sold all of my guns, I had a Krieghoff .470 NE for use on elephants if I had ever gotten around to it. I unfortunately did not get around to it before I began having to pay for two kids' college expenses. C'est la vie. I think everyone should own a .375 H&H magnum as it is the world's greatest caliber for all hunting everywhere. With the exception of elephant in thick stuff, the .375 can and has done it all.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Rifle - 07/04/13
The same one I take on every safari--a Dakota African in .416 Rigby. Good out to 200 yards, excellent cape buff medicine, big enough for elephant and rhino (though I prefer my .470 for those tasks). I've killed everything from klipspringer to lion and cape buff with this Dakota. Carried with a soft up and solids down, it has never disappointed in any way. If I had to live the rest of my life with only one rifle, it would be this one.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Rifle - 07/06/13
Originally Posted by Jer0m3fMurphy
With the exception of elephant in thick stuff, the .375 can and has done it all.

No exceptions. A .375 solid will shoot through both shoulders of a bull elephant. So what's the point of something larger? Does anyone think elephants are killed with hydrostatic shock or something?
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Rifle - 07/06/13
I have no experience hunting africa, but I do own a CZ550 416 Rigby and I would take it for everything.
Posted By: bluesman Re: Rifle - 07/06/13
It will do the job! Shoot it until you know the rifle as well as you know thje car you drive every day. You can reach for the radio - headlights - flashers - window switch - door locks - and everything else without looking. When you know your rifle that well you will be one of a small crowd.

Terry
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
I have over 250 rounds through it, that is a start. I know lots of guys who have not shot their 243 that often.
Posted By: bcd Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
The 375 H&H> is the best!> Its very accurate and very shootable hits very hard and you can buy it every place that have flies buzzing . Enjoy. and anyone that says 9.3 is just as good is a lier.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
Why so big of a gun . When a air rifle are use there for small game . I know a man that takes his 300 wby gun
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
Originally Posted by bcd
The 375 H&H> is the best!> Its very accurate and very shootable hits very hard and you can buy it every place that have flies buzzing . Enjoy. and anyone that says 9.3 is just as good is a lier.

Well I think you are the liar. What have you shot with anything including a sling shot. Big mouth. Your mouth is obnoxious. Your a lot less than a know-it-all, just a pretend wannabe.
Posted By: mlg Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
A good Mauser 98 in 9.3x62...........
Posted By: pacecars Re: Rifle - 07/07/13
.404 Jeffery
Posted By: bluefish Re: Rifle - 07/08/13
ah, our friend bcd couldn't hang with the 375 discussion regarding bullet weights so he's come over this way to throw his mighty opinion about. nice to see you asshat!
Posted By: MSK07 Re: Rifle - 07/09/13
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life it would be the .375 H&H Magnum.
Posted By: medicman Re: Rifle - 07/09/13
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life, I would be very frustrated.
Posted By: Carson Re: Rifle - 07/11/13
I love medium bores but a second firearm such as a centerfire. 22 or shotgun might be the answer, or an over/under.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Originally Posted by medicman
If I could only have one rifle for the rest of my life, I would be very frustrated.

ME TOO...!!

Hope I don't wake up tonight, screaming, having flash backs of such a scenario... shocked

Whew... crazy

That was a close one... blush

DF
Posted By: bluesman Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Agreed - the .375 H&H is the only caliber that would work for me if I was - in some insane world - restricted to only one rifle.

Terry
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Originally Posted by bluesman
Agreed - the .375 H&H is the only caliber that would work for me if I was - in some insane world - restricted to only one rifle.

Terry

Yep-will enjoy lugging a 11-12 lb rifle up a mountain after sheep.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
With out a second thought, a 375 H+H. plenty of ammo around in places were big game is hunted, heavy enough so that most can shoot it well, light enough to carry on hunts. A Blaser R-8 with a Semi Wt 375 H+H barrel and two sights, a 1.5 -6 x Zeiss and an Aimpoint 2 moa dot, you could put the whole package in a suit case. Ideal for the traveling hunter.
Posted By: RinB Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
30-06 !
Posted By: WBill Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Originally Posted by RinB
30-06 !

When I first read the OP I assumed for everything in Africa up to elephants. With the laws stating a min. of 375 caliber in most countries my choice was the 375 H&H.

"Question for guys that hunt in Africa. If you could have only one rifle for hunting all African game, which caliber would you choose? Thanks for your opinion."

After my response I was curious how long it would be before someone suggest another Medium Bore smaller than 9.3 or .375. (Sorry, I saw the 7X57 response and snickered, not my idea of a good solution, cause my name isn't Bell.)

Now I also would like to say Africa is still just a dream for me and have set my personal arms for such a trip. Yes, I qualify as a wannabe but doesn't make me a bad person. I just haven't had a fortune in my life yet.

I must say that when I first read the op...I thought to myself: Self would a 300H&H work for everything in Africa as well? Since I would be hunting with a PH that, Hopefully, has in his hands an adequate stopping rifle. My answer was, I think so. Think being the key word. Looking back into my memory bank trying to guess how many of the big five were killed over the last century with less than a 9.3 or .375 caliber? Truth be told I have no clue. But if I was forced to guess I'd say a lot more of the big five have been killed with sub 9.3 & .375 cal than killed with this caliber size or larger. Due to the prevalence of military arms though out Africa's long history, primarily 7mm and 303. Today everything I watch on TV I see someone in the gang carrying a AK47.

So, RinB, I believe you have probably chosen one of the most logical calibers for the one rifle for everything in Africa. Especially with the bullets available today and the support of a skilled PH. Although my first choice would be the 300H&H cause it was developed for such hunting, Africa. With large for bore softs and solids I'm pretty sure everything in the world that has flesh and blood could/would be killed by it in the hands of a skilled shooter/hunter.

So here's my questions to the PH's out there: Why put a minimum caliber law on foreign hunters coming to Africa to hunt, when you are aware most can shoot an '06 Springfield more accurately than a .375 cal or larger rifle? Shouldn't that be the minimum requirement for the Professional Hunter and not the recreational hunter?
Not sure where you arrived at the idea that there are laws for a minimum caliber for Africa. Not true. There is not a minimum caliber law placed on foreign hunters.
Posted By: WBill Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Ed, Thanks for pointing that out! Of course I may be all wet, as usual, but I based my comment on a little idea that has been written in books and on the internet...which we all know everything on the net is true! wink Here are some examples: http://www.huntinginafrica.co.za/more-info/minimum-required-caliber/
http://www.farrenglobaladventures.com/Caliber%20Minimums.htm
http://www.intusafaris.com/intu-safari-rifles.cfm

Now I will point out that I could not find anything that says this is the minimum requirements for foreign hunters. Just legal requirements.

According to these sites there are some minimum requirement stated, but is that by law or PH suggestions to foreign hunters?
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Rifle - 07/12/13
Only one rifle, a drilling; probably 16/16ga with 9.3 or 375 under and a 5.56 sleeve for one of the top barrels.

Here are the current information, extracted from another site.

Benin
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Benin.
� Benin does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Botswana
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Botswana is .222 caliber for any game other than dangerous game.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Botswana is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� The maximum equipment allowed for rifle hunting in Botswana is .577 Nitro Express caliber.
� Botswana does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Burkina Faso
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Burkina Faso.
� Burkina Faso does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Cameroon
� For Group 1 - Small Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .240 caliber or less, shotgun may be used as well.
� For Group 2 - Medium Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .240 to .354 caliber.
� For Group 3 - Big Game, the equipment requirement for hunting is .354 caliber or larger.
� Cameroon does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Central African Republic
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Central African Republic is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� Central African Republic does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Ethiopia
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Ethiopia.
� Ethiopia does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Mozambique
� There is no minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Mozambique.
� Mozambique does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Namibia
� Smallest caliber allowed 7 mm (.284).
� Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity)
� Big Game
5400 Joule
(Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, etc.)
� Large Game
2700 Joule
(Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Zebra, Burchell's Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Leopard, etc.)
� Medium to Small Game
1350 Joule
(Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gray Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Faced Impala, Red Lechwe, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Black-Backed Jackal, Warthog, Cheetah, Nyala, Chacma Baboon, Game Birds, etc.)

South Africa
� Most provinces do not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting and rely on common sense.
� Some provinces require a minimum of .375 caliber for dangerous or big game hunting.
� No provinces require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Tanzania
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .240 caliber for any game other than dangerous game.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Tanzania is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting.
� Tanzania does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Zambia
� Zambia does not have a minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting plains game and rely on common sense. Caliber in the .270 range will be well suited for some of the smaller plains game in Zambia.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Zambia is .300 caliber for dangerous game such as Leopard and Lion.
� The minimum equipment requirement for rifle hunting in Zambia is .375 caliber for dangerous game or big game hunting such as Elephant, Buffalo and Hippo.
� Zambia does not require a minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity) for calibers used.

Zimbabwe
� Class A Game
5300 Joule
Minimum caliber 9.2mm in diameter
(Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)
� Class B Game
4300 Joule
Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter
(Lion, Giraffe, Eland)
� Class C Game
3000 Joule
Minimum caliber 7.0mm in diameter
(Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
� Class D Game
850 Joule
Minimum caliber 5.56mm in diameter
(Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Sitatunga, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)
� Black Powder Rifles
Minimum caliber .40
I'm not aware of any country that actually enforces the above requirements for caliber size. If you wanted to wack a Cape buffalo with a 243 and your PH said ok, have at it. After all its your money. Ethics be dammed.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Rifle - 07/13/13
Well in May in Limpopo, one of the guys wanted to whack a Buff with his 308...and the PH was like, not no but h&^% NO! you're
not shooting a Buff around here with a 308....all 3 PH's thought it was not the smartest idea they had ever heard of....and the guy was very good with his 308.
Posted By: ghost Re: Rifle - 07/13/13
Was informed just the other day, by a guy who lives in RSA that the 22s no longer allowed for hunting. Minimum is 243. This might be only for out of country types. I saw a video and story the other day, about an hour long by this guy in Australia who was a buffalo culler. He used NOTHING by a 308, Ruger model 77 and ball ammo on the Water Buff. BUT , also ONLY took under the ear shots. In a few years had killed 40,000 of them. That's right, 40,000. Would a 308 work on Buff, yes, IF an under the ear shot, from close in. This culler didn't seem to be taking shots over about 50 yds and using his windshield (open topped truck) for a rest, and of course was using a scope. Also, a damned good shot. Buffs just flopped and dead when they hit the ground. I don't think a 308 for a body shot, would be a very good idea, though with a Barnes 150Ttsx bullet, might kill one. At least would get inside, where it could.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Rifle - 07/13/13
Originally Posted by ghost
Was informed just the other day, by a guy who lives in RSA that the 22s no longer allowed for hunting. Minimum is 243. This might be only for out of country types. I saw a video and story the other day, about an hour long by this guy in Australia who was a buffalo culler. He used NOTHING by a 308, Ruger model 77 and ball ammo on the Water Buff. BUT , also ONLY took under the ear shots. In a few years had killed 40,000 of them. That's right, 40,000. Would a 308 work on Buff, yes, IF an under the ear shot, from close in. This culler didn't seem to be taking shots over about 50 yds and using his windshield (open topped truck) for a rest, and of course was using a scope. Also, a damned good shot. Buffs just flopped and dead when they hit the ground. I don't think a 308 for a body shot, would be a very good idea, though with a Barnes 150Ttsx bullet, might kill one. At least would get inside, where it could.

That is total Cape buffalo crap. 22cfs are used on a regular basis and with suppressor s. caliber requirements are recommended by the provincial conservation managers.

40,000 really? More BS?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rifle - 07/27/13
If an 30-06 was used to kill lots of Elephants in the early days I believe a 300 wby mag would be a great all around caliber.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Rifle - 08/01/13
I just finished my 13th African hunt a few weeks ago, and I'd recommend a 416 if all African game is to be hunted with one rifle. Just use solids for smaller animals to reduce damage, and you still have the big caliber for hunting the big animals, like Cape Buffalo, Hippo, and Elephant.

If you feel comfortable taking a 375 up against guys like these in tight quarters, have at it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biebs Re: Rifle - 08/01/13
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 375 H&H. I use that as my carry rifle in Africa, with the tracker carrying my big bore, if the hunt calls for it.
Posted By: Winchestermodel70 Re: Rifle - 08/01/13
Originally Posted by Biebs
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the 375 H&H. I use that as my carry rifle in Africa, with the tracker carrying my big bore, if the hunt calls for it.

I used to carry my .416 Rigby and let the tracker carry my .470. However, in 2008, whilst hunting buff, we got a bit separated from the PH, the other two trackers and the game scout. All of a sudden, we heard a noise and a bull elephant had come up behind us and was acting aggressively. I unslung my .416 and asked the tracker for the .470, only to discover that he had run off with my double! I then ejected the soft from the .416's chamber, chambered the solid beneath it in the magazine and made some noise. The PH came running up, also making some noise and with a toss of his head, the elephant ran off.

From that time on, I carry the .470 and give a chamber empty .416 to the tracker (with a full magazine). I guess you could say I learned a valuable lesson about human behavior that day.
Posted By: Model70Guy Re: Rifle - 08/04/13
I'd use one of my .375s if somehow forced to be limited to one. I just can't see what set of circumstances would require that.
Posted By: RinB Re: Rifle - 08/07/13
30-06 Let me explain my reasoning. There's a lot of fantasizing about hunting big dangerous game but the reality is different than the fantasy. I'm about to leave for my 18th trip. I will spend a lot of time hunting the various plains game. Lion hunting is pretty much a thing of the past and a good bullet from a 30-06 will end any cat's life quickly. More buffalo and elephant have been shot with 7.62 out of FN-FAL's than anything. My PH buddies think the Springfield is just fine if one is careful in setting up the shot and then shooting well. A really big gun is a perpetual handicap for just about all visiting hunters. I will bet that 95%+ will do a better job of placement with the smaller cartridge. In turn this will produce better results than getting something designed for the worst case leaving aside the question of applying it well.

Lastly, I have never seen a game scout question the adequacy of a cartridge. They are fearful of some clients however.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Rifle - 08/07/13
375 H&H for one reason: the gun and cartridge simply says: AFRICA!! there enough said.
FWIW I am taking my FIRST Safari this year and the PH sets a minimum 6.5 caliber for everything. I am going on a plaines game hunt and metioned a 243, "Sorry", he said, "6.5 minimum"

OK, His land, his rules, no issues. I am taking a 7mm my son is taking his 270. BUt if I were limited to one cartridge for all of Africa, of course 375. In North America? .30/06. Europe? 7X57
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: Rifle - 08/18/13
Originally Posted by pacecars
.404 Jeffery

+1... Loaded to modern MV (2400 fps) with a 400 grain bonded SP, monolithic or solid bullet depending on the intended target. A 404 Ruger - same ballistics - will do as well.
Posted By: Gristle Head Re: Rifle - 09/02/13
http://www.huntinginafrica.co.za/more-info/minimum-required-caliber/
This plainly states that most African countries have minimum caliber requirements for dangerous game.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Rifle - 09/02/13
'plainly' stating usually has very little bearing on how rules are put into effect in much of Africa...

Have you been there yet?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Rifle - 09/02/13
Will second that, plus what RinB posted.

The "laws" about minimum calibers, bullet weights and energy in Africa are as flexible as a rubber chicken. After seeing what my 9.3x62 would do on various larger tougher plains game animals, the game scout in Tanzania a couple of years ago just nodded in a rather bored way when the PH asked if I could use it on buffalo. And no, nobody bribed the scout.

Have continually read statements from American hunters like, "How would you feel with a .375 H&H in your hands when a bad boy like this is up close?" Well, have hunted with a number of PH's who've used a .375 for years for backing up hunters, and the PH's had finished off a pile of animals their clients had wounded with rifles much bigger than a .375 H&H.

Obviously nobody knows who's absolutely right, especially after sitting around on a number of evenings listening to several PH's arguing about rifles, cartridges and bullets, But tend to take the long experience of any PH more seriously than the opinion of a tourist client who has NO experience with the .375 on wounded dangerous game.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... And no, nobody bribed the scout....

THIS is the part thats hard to believe.. wink
Not that he never took some $$ in other situations....
You mean 'donations'....right? grin
The donations started as soon as we hit Customs. That's the 3rd world.
Duh... Ive had many times when I laid down a pack of Marlboros with my passport, then 'forgot' to pick them back up when the passport got stamped....
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Rifle - 09/02/13
A $20 can vaporize before your very eyes.
They're a little steeper in Tanzania.

In 1993 I went on a hunt in the Czech Republic. One of my companions had hunted in the former Soviet states before, and was going to show me how easy it was to bribe people. He brought a carton of Camels, and offered them to a bunch of people during the week we were there.

Trouble was, the Czechs had joined the 1st World by then. In fact, there were Joe Camel ads on billboards, and many of the restaurants in Prague had Camel umbrellas over their outdoor tables. He tried to give the carton away the whole time we were there, and eventually left it on the backseat of the cab we took to the airport, because the cab driver didn't want it.
Posted By: bluesman Re: Rifle - 09/02/13
Now I understand why the Czechs don't seem to like us a much as they did thirty years ago - we were killing them with Camels and Marlboros!

Terry
Posted By: TexasShooter Re: Rifle - 09/09/13
I am a big fan of the 375 H&H.

Going to the original question, I think I would opt for a 416 Rigby. More oomph for the big boys and still has good range. It is probably easier to find ammo in camps for the 375 H&H should the rifle show but not the ammo. But, I suspect you would have a pretty good chance of finding some 416 Rigby ammo as well.
© 24hourcampfire