Home
As I was sitting reading Agazain's thread on his favorite trophy, I could not help myself daydreaming about all the great experiences that I have been blessed with being in this industry and the stories of so many others around the world.
I did not feel it was fair to hijack Agazain's thread, so post your favorite animal that you have taken here. If you want to share a story, do so. Otherwise, share the photo.
Let's pay some respect to the animals that has fallen before our Campfire hunters by remembering them here.
Well, been to Africa twice, and love all my trophies. These two are my favorites.

[Linked Image]

My wartie, simply because I love hunting hogs.

[Linked Image]

My tuskless cow ele, taken with my son on safari, in Zim., in Aug. 2011. No she's not that big, but the memories of that herd, the bluff charge from the matriarch, and the fact that my son and I were there together, is my FONDEST memory of Africa.

maddog
Congrats maddog,

That warthog is amazing! cool

donsm70
Maddog,
That pig is a bruiser. Great shape and mass in those tusks as well. What rifle are you holding in that photo?
Marlin 45-70 guide gun. Took 7 head of plains game with that rifle, in the summer of 2008. I used 300 gr. nosler partition handloads.

maddog
This is my best buffalo. Not huge spread but his bosses were worn smooth as fine furniture and he had a roman nose and scars everywhere. Happened to be the easiest buff I've taken as we were motoring through the miombo in the Selous in the evening after my wife had taken a zebra. Just at last light we saw him about 80 yards off and the PH said "Shoot that buffalo!"
Since I had already taken another buff earlier in the safari and our PH knew I only wanted to take another buff if he was really nice I knew he was a good one. Jumped out of the LandCruiser and shot.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Has to be my Eland, sneaking and crawling many hundreds of yards through black thorn bush only to be able to close the distance to 359 yds and making a perfect shot...massive and magestic animals!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Awesome animals.. My favorite would be my kudu.. Nothing outstanding just a good head.. He was my goal on my first trip.. Went one more time, and thought I would go again, but too much has changed.. This was before the new cameras.. I don't have the skill to get a photo from the old photos.. but I enjoy what I have seen both in Africa, and these beautiful photos here.. Thanks..
My buff from the Omay in Zimbabwe in 2011.

[Linked Image]
Toss up between the gato's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/ohhunter1/Namibia%202013/DSCN0964oryx_zps5e257d54.jpg
[Linked Image]

Here is a very young me, and before I could really appreciate what I had just accomplished.
Not the greatest photo, but you can see the length. He's sitting nicely on my wall.

[Linked Image]
Wow! Outstanding Marius!
My favorite trophy is this bow kill Livingstone Eland, a real monster. I've posted this one here before. If I chose to go thru the time and expense of entering it, he would score well in SCI's Archery record book.
[Linked Image]

Another favorite is this bull Nyala, caught sneaking in the heavy brush along a dry creekbed. IMO, one of the most beautiful of all the antelopes.
[Linked Image]
For looks, its gotta be the Sable�.

[Linked Image]

For effort involved, and a trophy hard-earned ( at least in my case) it has to be the Buffalo..

[Linked Image]
Dream Buff!
My very first African animal taken.
[Linked Image]

My last African animal taken.
[Linked Image]

Those are some outstanding buff by the way. Marius, please forgive me, but is that an oribi in your photo?
For the money...wildebeest...like mini buffalo. I enjoy the process of hunting springbok. Cape buffalo are exciting. Leopard are either boring or panic attacks. Elephants can be terrifying especially the cows.
Overall...wildebeest.
Originally Posted by Heeler

Marius, please forgive me, but is that an oribi in your photo?

Vaal Rhebok I believe.
Nice trophies ingwe.

I plan to go back in 2015 for Buff, sable and waterbuck.

May I ask what rifle/caliber you used?

donsm70
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33/kskayn/RIMG0109_zps9fa25d55.jpg

I think this is my favorite. We spotted a nice bull courting a cow about a half mile away. Stalking up to them, our tracker spotted this guy's ivory tips above an acacia bush. He stepped out about 60 yards away. He presented a perfect broadside shot. We found him expired about a hundred yards away.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by Heeler

Marius, please forgive me, but is that an oribi in your photo?

Vaal Rhebok I believe.

Yes Sir. Vaal Rhebuck. 9"
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice kudu!
Ed, those are both very nice trophies.
Originally Posted by donsm70
Nice trophies ingwe.

I plan to go back in 2015 for Buff, sable and waterbuck.

May I ask what rifle/caliber you used?

donsm70

Sorry it took so long to respond. On the two animals pictured I used a Whitworth in .375
For just plain fun hunting and cool looks Ive always had the Gemsbok at my fave PG animal�

[Linked Image]
Not the largest Kudu but a great stalk up a very steep kopee
Love this picture...if you look close you can see the recovery team down near the bottom,it was so steep they cut it in half to carry it down to the jeep

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by woods1126

[Linked Image]

I think this is my favorite. We spotted a nice bull courting a cow about a half mile away. Stalking up to them, our tracker spotted this guy's ivory tips above an acacia bush. He stepped out about 60 yards away. He presented a perfect broadside shot. We found him expired about a hundred yards away.

Eastern Cape?
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Not the largest Kudu but a great stalk up a very steep kopee
Love this picture...if you look close you can see the recovery team down near the bottom,it was so steep they cut it in half to carry it down to the jeep

[Linked Image]

Great photo and fond memories from that one, I'm sure. smile

donsm70
Originally Posted by ingwe
For just plain fun hunting and cool looks Ive always had the Gemsbok at my fave PG animal�

[Linked Image]
Wow you are old, older that Technicolor even!
What is this 'technicolor' you speak of?
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris

[Linked Image]

Eastern Cape?

Hello Marius, Yes, That's an Eastern Cape Kudu. Thanks Kevin
Another favorite, this from from 2002. Unleashed the 9.3x62 then with the 250 gr X.

[Linked Image]

It's really hard to choose just one favorite, but I totally enjoyed this one...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A true bang flop kinda thing here!
He was upside down with his feet in the air before the rifle was out of recoil.

[Linked Image]

Who says Cape Buffalo are so tough? This guy was so lazy he wanted to get in the truck with us and go for a ride!
I'll play! Here are a few on my first African safari, outfitted through our very own Marius Goosen of KMG:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-John
My African trophy...
Ghana, early 90's.

[Linked Image]
Great trophies and photos guys. I have a question, how do you get these nice big photos on here. I have a photo bucket account and as much as I try can only get the url# or little photos uploaded. Thanks for any help. Kevin
Great trophies and photos guys. I have a question, how do you get these nice big photos on here. I have a photo bucket account and as much as I try can only get the url# or little photos uploaded. Thanks for any help. Kevin
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/696239/1
This will walk you thru it
Thanks very much dvdegeorge! Kevin
Got mine 25 years ago. She did not want to pose for a picture though.
Great post Pieter. wink

donsm70
[Linked Image]

Here is a very young me, and before I could really appreciate what I had just accomplished.
Not the greatest photo, but you can see the length. He's sitting nicely on my wall.

[Linked Image]

Great Vaaly. I saw a couple but none large enough. They will be my number one when I go back. I love the mountain game.
[Linked Image]

Probably my Steenbok
A dandy steenbok. Looks more like a junior vaalie congratulations.
Originally Posted by donsm70
Great post Pieter. wink

donsm70

Thank you Sir.
Hahaha Pieter,
Your wife must have your login-details that you write such poetry....
Kind of a toss up for me, between kudu, and eland. The kudu, as it was the very first critter I killed in Africa, and I couldn't believe the whole thing was happening.....just an awesome experience. The eland, as it was my favorite, and most satisfying way to hunt...cutting tracks, and following them. This bull was the last of several that we attempted to track, or successfully tracked, but passed due to lack of maturity. Walked quite a number of miles on the numerous attempts, and enjoyed them all.

Jeff

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice trophies!
Nice kudu Jeff.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Nice trophies!
Thank you, sir.
This one is not the largest Springbok that I have hunted but is one that I will always remember.

[Linked Image]

One thing I started doing lately is actually taking pictures of our hunts as most of my hunts was never captured on camera.

Great thread Marius!

Pieter
Originally Posted by PieterKriel
Nice kudu Jeff.

Thanks, Pieter!

Jeff
Mine is a three way tie.

Zim '01

[Linked Image]

SA '04

[Linked Image]

Zim '10

[Linked Image]

Mike
Nice Mike! And you suck for being there 3 time!

Thanks Dan, but Ha Ha!!! Been there four times. laugh laugh

Zim '12

[Linked Image]

Mike
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

You suck, I've only been there three times.
Yeah.....but you still have the best Buffalo mount I have ever seen! Hands down!

Mike
You both super suck!

Zim '12

[Linked Image]

Mike

What is it about Bushbuck, ey?
Mine is a three way tie.

Zim '01

[Linked Image]

SA '04

[Linked Image]

Zim '10

[Linked Image]

Mike

Mike, very nice Kudu. Was he around 56"/57"?

Pieter
Thanks Pieter. He was just shy of 56" on each side.

Mike
I can not pick one. Here are a few of my favorites.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hell of a Nyala!
Thanks. I enjoy brush hunting and plan to take another run at Nyala in Natal this May. Of course those present may tell tall tales about how I took a trophy tree on my first attempt at a Nyala. smile
Originally Posted by CharlesL
....Of course those present may tell tall tales about how I took a trophy tree on my first attempt at a Nyala. smile

Hahaha, as long as the taxidermist did not rush you too much for the work.
Have had a couple of those. Here is the trophy tree that came into play, on a Cape Buffalo. Notice the shape of the hole, after the tree deformed the monolithic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That is a HOSS of a Cape! Had the same thing happen to me with a warthog and 180gr Partitions out of a 300 Weatherby. Bullet went in sideways but it still rolled him and I was able to put another shot into him.
Originally Posted by CharlesL
....Of course those present may tell tall tales about how I took a trophy tree on my first attempt at a Nyala. smile

Hahaha, as long as the taxidermist did not rush you too much for the work.
Have had a couple of those. Here is the trophy tree that came into play, on a Cape Buffalo. Notice the shape of the hole, after the tree deformed the monolithic.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just curious, did you cut out that portion of the tree and save it to go along with the mount?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is mine.

This last day, last minute miracle was pretty special too.
[Linked Image]

All right, after looking through the pictures I couldn't narrow it to one. Or two.

So I settled on four.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

[Linked Image]

Chris, with this, you have taken Sucking to Intergalactic levels!
All right, after looking through the pictures I couldn't narrow it to one. Or two.

So I settled on four.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

YOU SUCK!!!!!!! laugh

So I settled on four.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

YOU SUCK!!!!!!! laugh

And I super-suck because I still owe you a beer!! I'll get with wife and see what the hell my schedule is and get a hold of you!

My apologies, it's been crazy at work and home.
Sounds good Chris! Thats a really nice Jumbo,Buffalo, and the leopard is the stuff of dreams. Much congrats!
This one because it was such an exciting night hunt over bait using a full moon for light. All I could see were his eyes peering through the bush. Shot him right through the right eye. (lucky shot.) The 375 Nosler Partition drove through his skull and into his spine. DRT He was huge. We had a scale in camp. He weighed 198.6 lbs. Off the scale for a hyena.
[Linked Image]

Or maybe this one because he charged after the first two well-placed shots from my 458 Lott. In all, I put (7) 500 grain slugs in him counting the "insurance shot". Spread- 42 inches.
[Linked Image]
Or maybe this one (I'm on the right) because my best friend and I hunted separately out of the same camp but both took outstanding kudus. It's always best when shared with a good friend. Mine measured 57 inches. Mike's measured 55.
[Linked Image]
Fact is, I love all of my mounts.
Sounds good Chris! Thats a really nice Jumbo,Buffalo, and the leopard is the stuff of dreams. Much congrats!

You need to swing by the office and see the leopard, it turned out REALLY nice.

Let me know if you can stop by sometime.
Originally Posted by TexasShooter
This one because it was such an exciting night hunt over bait using a full moon for light. All I could see were his eyes peering through the bush. Shot him right through the right eye. (lucky shot.) The 375 Nosler Partition drove through his skull and into his spine. DRT He was huge. We had a scale in camp. He weighed 198.6 lbs. Off the scale for a hyena.
[Linked Image]

Or maybe this one because he charged after the first two well-placed shots from my 458 Lott. In all, I put (7) 500 grain slugs in him counting the "insurance shot". Spread- 42 inches.
[Linked Image]
Or maybe this one (I'm on the right) because my best friend and I hunted separately out of the same camp but both took outstanding kudus. It's always best when shared with a good friend. Mine measured 57 inches. Mike's measured 55.
[Linked Image]
Fact is, I love all of my mounts.

Smoker buffalo, very nice!

Two beautiful kudu bulls as well.

You need to swing by the office and see the leopard, it turned out REALLY nice.

Let me know if you can stop by sometime.

10-4�look for me probably on a Monday, Weds, or Friday, those are my short days�.
My youngest son with his favorite trophy. 300yd shot on an exceptional Cape Kudu up in the Tarkastad mountains RSA 2011.

[Linked Image]

My oldest boy and his favorite trophy from his 2009 trip to Namibia. Stalked this lone ram for a few hours before being able to get in a position to take a shot.

[Linked Image]
Great mass on that kudu!!! Damn nice blesbok Too.
Wow! You guys blow me away.
All you gotta do is go a few more times��. whistle

grin
I love all of the trophies you posted, but "Mr. Spots" has me green with envy! I have two Leopard hunts under my belt and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hope the old adage "third times a charm" holds true!

Mike
Great photos and inspiration, guys! smile

Eric
My favorite to hunt is gemsbok, but by far my favorite trophy is this Kudu. I love uniqueness. This one has it.
[Linked Image]

This last day, last minute miracle was pretty special too.
[Linked Image]

Gorgeous Sable!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great Vaal Rhebuck shocked cool
The best trophy is the one I still want, a sable.

My favorite to hunt are buffalo.

A couple Masailand big boys...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Outstanding gentleman. Exactly what I was looking for.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I narrowed it down to two. The very first animal I took in Africa.

[Linked Image]

and this kudu

[Linked Image]

it all seems like a dream sometimes...I need to get back to Africa.....

Originally Posted by AFTERUM

[Linked Image]

now that's one helluva kudu
Some trophies shown earlier would look really good at my home cool
I love all of the trophies you posted, but "Mr. Spots" has me green with envy! I have two Leopard hunts under my belt and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I hope the old adage "third times a charm" holds true!

Mike

I agree, the cats are fantastic. Ironically, when I was hunting Cape Buffalo in Tanzania, we came upon a leopard in broad daylight laying on the branch of a big tree. I didn't have leopard on license nor did I have a CITES, so we moved on and left the cat undisturbed. I could probably go on ten leopard hunts and never see one. Yet, not looking for one, we stumble upon one. Kinda like wolf hunting. grin
Wonderful trophies fellas. Congratulations on some exceptional specimens. Kevin
Here is my "Wish List". BOHUNR's Sable, BigHorn's Eland, EDM's Nyala, AFTERUM's Kudu and it's a toss up between FishN4Eye's and Texashooter's Buffs. If these were on my wall I could die a "Happy Hunter"! grin
Impala's reminded me of whitetails and enjoyed hunting them.

[Linked Image]
great trophys congrats
Ruhudji, Tanzania, with Rungwa Safaris. 416 Rigby. Me and PH Gamshad Gamdust

[Linked Image]
Oh my! smy1, not only an awesome buffalo, but an awesome picture! WOW!

Thanks to all for sharing a bunch of wonderful pics!

When you hunt with one of the BEST outfits (Rungwa) that is the quality of trophy one can expect! He's a beaut!
Originally Posted by smy1
Ruhudji, Tanzania, with Rungwa Safaris. 416 Rigby. Me and PH Gamshad Gamdust

[Linked Image]

Superb! Not sure if I'm drooling more over the Buff or the rifle. Love my .416 Rigby. Just feels like it belongs next to my side and that I can take on anything with it.
wow awesome mount.

[Linked Image]
I've only made one trip, but of the16 animals my family collected, my favorite was the bushbuck. More evasive, clinging to cover, beautiful, and a tad dangerous to boot. My PH took his rifle along on that hunt, he had lost a friend to one not long before.
While bowhunting cape buffalo in the Save, we ran onto some bushpigs. PH looked me in the eye and could tell I wanted one. Away we go tracking up bushpigs while I'm paying a DG daily rate. Gotta love those pigs.
[Linked Image]

I had a blast shooting these things too...

[Linked Image]
I like the kudu.
[Linked Image]
May 2013 92x91

[Linked Image]
Sept 2008 30.5"
Dukxdog, those are outstanding trophies! Especially the ivory.
I would have to say my Kudu.

[Linked Image]

You all SUUUUUUCK!
Originally Posted by navlav8r
You all SUUUUUUCK!

+1
Speaking about sucking...
Collecting 1x Russian today for 10 day Cape Buffalo hunt with some plains game.
Got this Waterbuck with Marius.

[Linked Image]
My son and his Impala with Marius.

[Linked Image]
Some outstanding trophies here. Since the impala seldom get their due here is one.
[Linked Image]
I made my one and only trip so far to the Eastern Cape in September 2011. I can honestly say I fell in love with the impala. Maybe they just remind so much of the whitetail here in PA. I was only planning on hunting 1, but after harvesting my first one on the first morning I knew I would be looking for a second. I'll be taking another one, or maybe 2 more when I go back in April 2016.

My first of the trip
[Linked Image]

My second impala and last animal of the trip
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire