Home
gday I recently got given a set of horns from my father inlaw that his grandfather shot over 100years ago , Im not sure of the species and was wondering if anyone could knew what they are thanks.[Linked Image][Linked Image]
horns are approx 13inches long and abit over 5inches around the base of the horn
I believe those horns to be from a kob. Where was the animal taken?

RS
Looks like a puku to me. (Although was heavily going back and forth between that and a Kob. Could go either way.)
not exactly sure mate he was from italy and his son migrated to austraila with them and gave them to his son and he gave them to me on the provisor that if I break up with his daughter I have to give them back smile
Could also argue for gerenuk or a heck of a trophy of a dama gazelle.
It looks like a kob of some sort to me, my exact guess is a puku-but I don't know how you would tell exact species without a cape.
where did he hunt?

puku: http://aaaquizmaster.com/AnimalQuizzes/Mammals/MammalDirectory/Directory_AntelopePuku.html
All pukus are kobs, but not all kobs are pukus.

My guess is a kob other than puku.
not sure where he hunted but being italian and the era I reckon somewhere out of ethiopia
A very old gerenuk....

Its tips are worn. wink

His being Italian, it could well have been taken in Ethiopia or southern Somalia.
could well be one of them its horns are the closest thing I've seen to it , and southern somaila is another possibility thanks mate!
Northern gerenuk, then. Go sevens!
© 24hourcampfire