Home
Posted By: GSP814 Slings for a barrel band rifle? - 04/19/14
Can you guys tell me what slings you like to use? My rifle is a Ruger African in 9.3x62. Thanks!
SInce nobody else will reply I shall keep you company.

I make my own as it is simpler and I can make to the size and length I want.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Really nice!

Steve
I have one sling and use it for all of my rifles

Murray Leather 1" with Tallon quick disconects
I love the 1.25" Montana slings on my barrel banded 9.3x62 and 505 Gibbs, perfect set-ups in IMHO.

Gunner
I use the the cotton slings from Trader Keith's. There are about halfway down the page on the link.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

I have been using the same single sling on all of my rifles for near 20 years. I own one Uncle Mike's lightweight synthetic. I stitched the sling swivels to the sling and it goes on every hunt I make, whether Africa, Canada or the US.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been using the same single sling on all of my rifles for near 20 years. I own one Uncle Mike's lightweight synthetic. I stitched the sling swivels to the sling and it goes on every hunt I make, whether Africa, Canada or the US.

[Linked Image]

Ed, that's what I use too. They are light and comfortable. The older ones are better than the new ones too, because the new ones have the plastic crap buckles on them. The old one like yours has steel parts and they are much stronger.
If you don't mind leather, give the Brownells Latigo Quick-Set Sling a look. They come black or tan, 1" or 1 1/4", with or without swivels. Out the package they are full length with numbered holes, you take a measurement between swivel loops and use these numbered holes as a guide to custom fit the sling to the particular rifle. You then cut off any excess strap. I've used a couple on the old Ruger Safari Magnum Rifles, a 98 Mauser, and now on a Sako, all having barrel band swivel mounts.

They are made from high quality leather, so they are by no means light. But they are indestructable, are round peg into round hole user friendly, and have no hard contact points to touch the stock, so they are very friendly to high end wood.

Best smile

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I use the the cotton slings from Trader Keith's. There are about halfway down the page on the link.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

This^^^

[Linked Image]

I like the way it carries the rifle and the little rubber grabbers hold the strap on the shoulder without slip off. I also think it looks more traditional. Here it is on my 375H&H. I also have one ready for a 300H&H being built.

[Linked Image]
+1 on T.K.
Thanks guys, I now have several options to consider.
© 24hourcampfire