Home
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
First time. Bow and rifle. What item should I pack that's not immediately evident?
Posted By: Biebs Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
Don't bring a ton of clothing...they do laundry each day. Bring a windbreaker and sweater, or a jacket, for the morning drives. Don't worry about a knife...they do all the gutting and caping. Have a pair of Crocs or slip-ons for around camp...you'll be in your boots all day. Bring a camera!!!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
Toss in a couple of the one time use cameras. Have a great time.

The last time I hunted there we were along the SA side of the Crocodile River. It was so low we walked over into Botswana, just to say we were there and to let a couple of trackers see relatives.

We want plenty of pictures! laugh
Posted By: agazain Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
Wipes and M&M's.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
take a bunch of those small flavoring packets that can be put in bottled water....tea, lemonade, or any other flavors you like.
Our PH loved them and we used them too.

Also, I took a bunch of "school supply" stuff for the kids. They had never seen coloring books and colors, paint sets, markers, and stuff like that.

I also took about 15 pair of Crocs (knock offs) in wild colors from pink to orange to black. They are light, and I used them to pack around my guns in my Tuff Pak. Gave them to the cooks, maids, etc. They were a big hit.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Toss in a couple of the one time use cameras. Have a great time.

The last time I hunted there we were along the SA side of the Crocodile River. It was so low we walked over into Botswana, just to say we were there and to let a couple of trackers see relatives.

We want plenty of pictures! laugh

I will be along the Crocodile.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/06/14
Rooibokkrall...??
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14
If you're talking operator, Limcroma.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14

I just returned from Limcroma last week. Second time there and both were awesome. I went archery only.
The above are good advice, for sure minimal clothes, two of everything except boots. One to wear and one being cleaned.
I tak a couple packs of individually wrapped life saveers or other hard candy. While in the blinds that helps pass time for you, the PH and trackers.
Posted By: PieterKriel Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14
Hand sanitiser. And enjoy the heck out of your hunt.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14
Awesome stuff!
All the best for your hunt. Looking forward to the report and photos.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14
We took our first trip to Africa last year and hunted with Limcroma. First class outfit and fine folks to hunt with. We hunted with rifles and took some fine trophies. I killed an awful fine bushbuck right on the river. I can't wait to go back!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/07/14
Chapstick or Blistex very dry over there. Just got back it was cool in the mornings particularly riding in the back of a truck. Also cool in the evening while sitting by the fire talking about the day. Gloves don't hurt either every kind of sticker imaginable. Lots of batteries for your camera. Warm hat and one that will keep the sun out of your face plus good sun screen.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/08/14
We took peanut butter crackers......our PH loved them
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/08/14
Originally Posted by tedthorn
We took peanut butter crackers......our PH loved them

Haha,...yeah those are awesome!
Posted By: EricM Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/08/14
Are we talking Nutter Butters...? Because nothing else compares! wink

Eric
The drink packet idea is a good one.
Posted By: Gary O Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/08/14
Binos are not needed. Your PM will glass for you.
Really ??

I'll take mine
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/08/14
Originally Posted by Gary O
Binos are not needed. Your PM will glass for you.

Nothing personal, but I wouldn't even think about going over without binos. Instead of taking naps at midday, I sat around water holes, or on the side of a hill next to camp, glassing everything I could find to glass. I may not be able to judge game like the PH, but I sure had a helluva great time looking at those fantastic animals through my 8x32's.
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/09/14
I used my binocular a lot. What I didn't really need was much of a knife, although the Victorinox I had was handy to decap bottles of Castle, and the little Blind Horse knife with the 3" blade was used a bit at lunch out in the field.

Speaking of lunch, watch the food at Limcroma. First time I ever gained weight on a hunting trip! Everything was excellent!
Posted By: Gary O Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/09/14
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
I used my binocular a lot. What I didn't really need was much of a knife, although the Victorinox I had was handy to decap bottles of Castle, and the little Blind Horse knife with the 3" blade was used a bit at lunch out in the field.

Speaking of lunch, watch the food at Limcroma. First time I ever gained weight on a hunting trip! Everything was excellent!

You can use them, but you don't NEED them...
Posted By: dale06 Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/09/14

2X on the binoculars.
That's the last thing other than my bow that I would leave home.
I used them constantly on game 20 to 300 yards and further.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
Thanks guys. Packed up and ready to head out tomorrow. Flight is stopping in Dakar. Hopefully that doesn't pose problems on the way home given the nearby epidemic...
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
Here's to hoping you have the time of your life! Good Luck!
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
Thank you, JG. Taking my older daughter and now the younger wants to go too. May have to do a second trip soon. Would like to do the trip you did with Ansie and Danie.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
Have a great safari!

...and you suck!

grin
Posted By: EricM Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
Have a great safari!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/10/14
I have no doubt you are going to have a good time.
Posted By: Jeffpg Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/11/14
I am on day 10 of a 13 day safari in Limpopo and I can assure you that I will be back.

I am having an incredible time!
Posted By: JasonR Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/11/14
Originally Posted by Jeffpg
I am on day 10 of a 13 day safari in Limpopo and I can assure you that I will be back.

I am having an incredible time!

Looking forward to your pics afterwards!!! package went out this AM. I'll shoot ya a PM w/ the tracking # although it'll beat ya home! hahaha Enjoy and be careful!
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/12/14
Godspeed! and take lots of pics!!
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/22/14
Back. Kudu, N'yala, Impala and zebra with a rifle and wildebeest with a bow. Daughter got warthog with a 38 pound bow, which is her first animal. She's now explaining how to judge horn length to people and talking about working up to 45-50 pounds to shoot bigger animals.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/22/14
This is nothing without pictures...and someone will be along in a minute or two to tell you:

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes I'm jealous....10 months to wait........sigh....
Posted By: 16gauge Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/23/14
Just got back about a week ago from Limpopo.....hunted with Cruiser safaris and had just an AWESOME experience!!! Started making plans to go back before I was finished with the first trip! Started making a list of things I can sell off on the plane trip back so I can get back there faster! grin

A couple of things I think might come in handy that haven't been mentioned already:

1.) Shooting glasses: I wore prescription glasses while hunting, but with all the thorns and brush we went stalking through, it might be wise to have some sort of eye protection...not probably a problem for bow hunters hunting from a blind near a water hole, but after getting a thorn apple thorn in my eye years ago while grouse hunting, I don't like taking chances with my eyesight. Might come in handy with all the dust as well, seeing as how it was there dry season.

2.) an extra electrical converter: While I didn't see it happen, I'm told that now the airlines and TSA will not allow an uncharged item (i.e. cell phone, camera, etc) on an airplane due to terrorist concerns. When you look at the amount of electronic gear we haul along now a days (laptop, cell phone, camera(s), etc), it might be wise to have a second electrical converter handy, esp. since they are small and don't take up much space. I had to buy a new camera just before leaving, and this one has a rechargeable battery that requires it's own special charger instead of using AAs like the old one.

Just a couple of thoughts...........but I'm just an amateur.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/23/14
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 3040Krag Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/24/14
Which Limcroma PH did you hunt with?
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/24/14
Jan
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/25/14
Jan Loots? We hunted with him last year. Fine man and liked to hunt hard. We stalked and walked through a lot of brush. He put me on some good animals including a really fine bushbuck.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/25/14
Those three pictured are all excellent trophies! Congrats!
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Off to Limpopo - 08/25/14
Thanks, guys. Jan really hunted hard for us. My daughter came home explaining how to judge impala trophy quality so I think she may be hooked.
© 24hourcampfire