Home
Posted By: Biebs Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 08/26/14
I've had this listed, a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott for $1,349 shipped. It is the perfect African rifle, and has had only 8 rounds through it. I'd keep it, but I use a 458 Lott barrel in my Blaser, and a 500 A-Square for REALLY big things. Nobody???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 08/27/14
Biebs, I'll tell ya....if I had.....well, if,,,I had the $$$ for this I'd have to have the $$$ for a DG safari and that just ain't gonna happen anytime soon....I've watched your efforts on AR to sell this work of art and cried that I couldn't yell"I'll take it Biebs!"....well, I can't yell it here either but at least you will get a free bump for an absolutely beautiful rifle.......

Sigh....................................
I have a friend that has been wanting one but apparently he doesn't have the money right now. Have you tried over on AR? I sold my RSM over there but it was a 416.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 08/27/14
Thanks guys. I know it'll sell. One just got bid up on Gun Broker this week to almost $1,900, and this one has nicer wood. Just timing, I guess :-(
Posted By: Labman95 Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 08/27/14
Hang in there buddy, it will sell. I have the same rifle in 416 Rigby. That's a very fair price for a great gun. The real problem is the constantly increasing price of Elephant and Cape Buffalo hunts. Here's another free bump for a good guy.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 08/27/14
Thanks! :-)
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
ElJuero, PM sent.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
I don't need one as I already have a pretty 458.
I feel the need, but my bank account says no.
Phil, "Shoemaker" and "Pretty Rifle" don't belong in the same sentence :-)
Posted By: 458Win Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
OK, I get your point, I should have said BEAUTIFUL
R U S T O L E U M
Pretty is as pretty does...!

"Old Ugly" is a jewell.

DF
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
Now now, is this form before function? or function before form?

Anyway, free bump!
Phil has quite a diverse collection of firearms...Rustoleum-painted Mossberg pumps standing next to an elegant Westley Richards droplock 20ga. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in some cases, Phil needs a new set of spectacles :-)
Originally Posted by 458Win
I don't need one as I already have a pretty 458.

I've heard about that beauty! eek eek

You need to show it off more.

I also believe the RSM Rugers were the most under-priced fine rifles ever. I wish I had any prospect of a need for this one.
Yes, with the integral quarter rib machined into the barrel, I'm sure they were quite expensive to make. Too bad, as it was probably the best deal for a safari rifle out there at that price point.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
Had one in 416Rigby. Slimmed down the stock mounted a straight extended bolt handle. It was MagNaPorted. Sold it on AR for a really reasonable price. The guy used it in Africa to take an elephant.
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/02/14
If I didn't already have a 378 Weatherby, a 458 Lott and a 460 Weatherby...
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/03/14
Hey Grummy! How ya been? Yes, I've got more than my share of big bore African rifles, or I'd certainly keep it....500 NE, 585 HE, 500 MDM, 505 Gibbs, 500 A-Square, 458 Lott, and 458 Win Mag. Probably forgetting a few as well :-)
Posted By: Teal Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/03/14
I could like that alot for MI deer hunting but there's a long list of $$ projects first. Dang man - I like the wood.
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/03/14
Originally Posted by Biebs
Hey Grummy! How ya been? Yes, I've got more than my share of big bore African rifles, or I'd certainly keep it....500 NE, 585 HE, 500 MDM, 505 Gibbs, 500 A-Square, 458 Lott, and 458 Win Mag. Probably forgetting a few as well :-)

I've been fine.

That's a beautiful rifle at a good price by the way.
Biebs,

I think you make Gunner500 look like a small bore aficionado... shocked

DF

DF, I had a Lott for awhile. Mine was only nine lbs all up. Shooting it seemed to me to be similar in a way to the old shock treatments (I guess they still do 'em).. If you had any anger or depression, it knocked it out of 'yo head.

Or, maybe it was just the bruised shoulder and headache that took your mind of it. laugh
I see the Lott referred to in the past tense... grin

DF
Dirtfarmer, Gunner now has my 577 NE Verney Caron double rifle!
Guess he's "moving on up".

Should have known.. cool

DF
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/03/14
Contact [email protected] as he may well be very interested in your Ruger 458 Lott. He hunts Tanzania often a is a collector of large caliber rifles. MTG
Will do, thanks.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/04/14
PM sent. MTG
Posted By: MtHtr Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/04/14
Very nice!

Might have to sell my Sako 75, 416 Rem Mag (safe queen) and move up to the big bores!

MThtrguy
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/04/14
Can't do much better than this one...and it's controlled round feed :-)
Why are rifles called controlled round feed when they are really push feed until the case head leaves the magazine which is about the same point a true push feed has fed exactly the same amount of cartridge into the breach?

I never understood why the emphasis was not on the larger claw extractor which is more of a marketing feature if you believe all this indoctrination.

I am way past remembering all the rifles I have owned and used but very clear in the memories of which had the most issues. I don't really favor one over the other if they are reliable but one sided views are very one sided.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Nobody needs a 458 Lott? - 09/05/14
Yes, folks seem to be hung up on CRF, at least for a dangerous game rifle. It doesn't make much difference to me....100% reliable feed and ejection is what I look for.
© 24hourcampfire