Home
Here's some great news.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/4381093012

Yep, that is great news.

And two days after I completed the EIN, AES, ITN trifecta cluster-[bleep]...

But I'm happy the rules have been suspended. For now.
Wow! That is great news! For once ( and only once...) the Govt. saw and realized it created such a cluster phouc that even they couldn't figure out how to process it...
While it sounds like great news, I wouldn't be popping the champagne corks too quickly. If you read the full comments by the head of CBP it seems that they have "temporarily" gone back to the old 4457 paper procedure, while they re-tool the AES account procedure in order to get away from the EIN requirement. Maybe they will scrap the whole AES pile of crap completely ... but I wouldn't hold my breath. You can trust these Obongo bureaucrats about as far as you can throw them. It is interesting to note that the head of the CBP claimed today that he wasn't even "aware of the new protocol."
Thanks to everyone involved in this debacle being even temporarily lifted. I have been in the lurch for a month,or so, for an August Safari.

donsm70
We leave for Nambia in eight days, and had completed all the new forms with the EIN, AES and ITN snarl of red tape.

The Customs office in Green Bay seemed to have their heads on straight about the new rules. The crew in Atlanta for the return trip -- not so much; they supplied three different answers to the same question in five days, admitting in the last one, today, that he should not have said what he did three days ago.

We'll likely take all the paper, while hoping to use only the 4457 forms.

--Bob
The press release from Senator Hoeven mentioned a statement from Customs. The press release from Customs was posted on 23 April 2015. Here's a link: Temporary Exportation of Firearms

The good news in the statement:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to follow the long standing practice of issuing and certifying a Certificate of Registration (CBP Form 4457) to ensure that no traveler attempting to legally take their firearm out of the country experiences significant delays or incurs additional cost due to the implementation of a new regulation requiring an electronic filing.

The bad news in the statement:
Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require the traveler to file electronic export information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States.

It appears that the Dept of Homeland Security/CPB does not have the authority to dismantle the new hurdles for "export" set up by two other cabinet-level departments: Dept of State and Dept of Commerce.

I suspect the snarl and tangle will get larger and messier before it gets undone.

--Bob
© 24hourcampfire