Home
Posted By: JJHACK Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Jan 1 2016

Cabelas is gone!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Bad deal. This will enable them to close down some of the stores that are near to each other.

Both Cabela's and BP are building stores within a reasonable distance of me. I suspect that one of them will get cancelled.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Id better use up my Cabelas points soon!
Posted By: hicountry Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Biggest mistake they made was going public.....

Tony
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
As a born and raised Nebraskan it saddens me to even think this could happen. I have not seen anything that says it's a done deal, but I can tell you the 2000 people in Sidney, NE that Cabela's employs are schitting in their pants right now. Sidney is a town of less than 7000 and this would be devastating to their economy.

I agree it was a big mistake for Cabela's to go public. The family was doing just fine on their own. Actually, I have seen quite a difference in the company after going public, and not for the better.

Mike
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Both Cabela's and BP are building stores within a reasonable distance of me. I suspect that one of them will get cancelled.

Here too. And what becomes of one of those monoliths after being vacated?

Mike
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Cabela's became too "big-box" and lost much of their Class. Now that Bassass Pro is taking over, they'll be the Walmart of their market.

I've noticed in their fine gun rooms are now manned by mediocre sales people who know very little about their wares.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/13/15
Nope..no sale has happened, no one has even approached with a legitimate offer to really consider, per the board.

This is all speculation...that is all.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
I suppose it could be a hoax, however I have folks I very much trust in this industry who have said to me directly this a done deal. Even going so far as to suggest it happens Jan 1 2016. ? Guess we will see!

Folks still think the moon landing was staged, and others question how many shooters were involved with Kennedy. By those measures this is pretty simple however folks still carry on with things!
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I suppose it could be a hoax,

Folks still think the moon landing was staged, and others question how many shooters were involved with Kennedy. By those measures this is pretty simple however folks still carry on with things!

do you seriously expect us to believe that people really went to the moon?
Posted By: northcountry Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
rphguy
Why don't you scoot up there and check out if any evidence exist to that fact and report back. Cheers NC
somebody coach me on how to post a griming face
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Not a hoax, but just speculation for now?

Hope it never happens. I don't buy much there any more, but Cabelas is much more oriented towards shooters and despite the current "issues" with supply, a trip to Cabelas usually turns up something of interest in the reloading line. Lots of guns too. BPS, not so much.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by northcountry
rphguy
Why don't you scoot up there and check out if any evidence exist to that fact and report back. Cheers NC
somebody coach me on how to post a griming face

When posting, click "switch to full reply screen"

Then click on the smiley face grin

Posted By: steve99 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
The Bass Pro shop in Harrisburg, PA is a poorly lit store I wouldn't go out of my way to shop in. I have to drive passed a Cabelas to get to it and don't drive passed it. Too bad.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Last news was on Nov.5...and it wasn't a done deal as of then....FWIW
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Baloney, just like the gay 270 Win. Cabelas is a public company and Listed on the NYSE which know nothing of this rumored buyout.
Posted By: hekin Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
http://www.theintelligencer.net/pag...Cabela-s-Could-Be-Sold-to-Bass-P---.html

I work for a publicly traded company.. If I ever choose another employer I want one that is privately owned...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Maybe.

Ask the boys and girls that work for Gander Mountain.
Posted By: EdM Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by hekin
http://www.theintelligencer.net/pag...Cabela-s-Could-Be-Sold-to-Bass-P---.html

I work for a publicly traded company.. If I ever choose another employer I want one that is privately owned...

I have been more than pleased with my 30+ years of employ with my publicly traded company. Now retired at 53 I am even more pleased. When the WSJ has a write on the rumored deal I will believe it.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by hicountry

Tony

Seems that is true for most hunting stores, for 40+ years Dicks Sporting goods was a small chain of stores in upstate New York starting out in Binghamton NY. Great store and great service but once they went public and expanded they dropped their good service, gun repairs and hand guns. Most will recall after Sandy Hook they drop AR's, they really ruined a great business.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/14/15
I think a lot of people don't know or realize but if you use a Bass Pro credit card it is Bank of America which has dropped many small arms related companies due to their anti gun stance. Of course, bps gets them a lot of business so that part is overlooked, but not by me. Fugg them, I won't buy from for that reason. Notified Bass Pro of this but got no response.
Just out of curiosity, which would you say is the bigger organization. Cabelas or Bass Pro?
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/15/15
BassPro is bigger with more stores. Cabelas has more sales per store.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by hicountry

Tony

Seems that is true for most hunting stores, for 40+ years Dicks Sporting goods was a small chain of stores in upstate New York starting out in Binghamton NY. Great store and great service but once they went public and expanded they dropped their good service, gun repairs and hand guns. Most will recall after Sandy Hook they drop AR's, they really ruined a great business.

They just shifted. They own Field and Stream stores which compete directly with BPS and Cabela's. They're growing like crazy.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by kaboku68
BassPro is bigger with more stores. Cabelas has more sales per store.

I just can't shop at BassPro, or the Gander Mtn. that just built a large store in my area...they are just too high!

I continue to buy at independent business...when they have anything in stock.

Funny story. I went to a BassPro in central GA. Remington had a $40 rebate on their SPS rifles. I noticed that the same model rifles had two different prices. I asked the guy behind the counter. He flipped the tag around and said that one price was the cost of the rifle...the other side reflected the cost after rebate.
I thought about that for a while, and came back. I told the guy that I usually didn't say anything about how a store does their marketing, but that really sucked. I also told him that I could drive in a 50 mile radius and beat their "after rebate" price, and see a better selection.
The guy said. "I know. I get that all the time. I don't buy firearms at BassPro...I can't afford to."
He added, "However, you would be surprised at the people who will come in and buy firearms, ammo, camo, camping equ., ect. all at one time, just so they can say they got it all at BassPro."
At that I let it go. The guy was being honest. I walked off and said to myself, "I'm not one of those guys."

The same could be said for Gander Mtn. After dealing with a really cocky department manager, I finally got the "It is our corporate policy that we make %40 on firearm and ammo sales." The franchise no longer holds any interest for me.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/15/15
What I read in the Billings Gazette, is that some of the smaller stores like the ones in Billings may be sold to Bass Pro. I didn't assume that meant all of Cabela's stores nationwide, but then again, I didn't go to page whatever for the rest of the story.
I myself spend more money at the Scheel's store!
For what it's worth, I have not ever been in a Bass Pro, but my friends that have, prefer Cabela's over Bass Pro anytime!!

I will say however, Cabela's almost single handedly kept the company I worked for in business off and on over the years making the beautiful laminated beams and trusses in their superstores.

Just rambling,
Ken
PS The company I worked for for over 40 years just closed it doors after 60+ years. Timberweld Mfg. Co Inc.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/16/15
Gander used to be very reasonable on prices, but after the big buyout they are typically the highest, unless they have a sale on a popular model.

They sell used, but the prices are ludicrous. They'll sell a beat up gun for a price approaching NIB.

I expect the "fine gun rooms" at Cabelas will be gone, after the bean counters are through with them smirk
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/18/15

I'm unimpressed with the Tukwilla Cabelas we have in Woorsheengton state, Lefty Coast!

I don't ever buy anything from Cabelas by mail.

Hopefully Bass Pro is run by better managers and execs! smirk wink

Otherwise, GOOD RIDDENCE!
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/18/15
Hope you don't hold you breath....no pun intended.
Posted By: StubbleDuck Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/18/15
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Hope you don't hold you breath....no pun intended.

Appreciate the warning! wink
Talked with come Cabela's folks today.. Ain't going to happen according to the head shed.. But who knows.. Bass Pro is not my favorite outdoor shop.. I have been a Cabels's fan since 1989... Not about to change..
Posted By: dale06 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/19/15
It sure seems to me that cabelas has over built. There are three of their stores with in 60 minutes of my house. That's beyond saturation.
I do like them and shop there often but usually have s coupon or CC points to reduce the price.
No bass pro here so I don't have an opinion on them.
Sort of related is s gander mountain story that I experienced.
I found a pretty expensive beretta over under in their Eden prairie mn stood. In the process of buying it I determined that one of the three choke tubes was missing. They looked and couldn't find it and tried to convince me it came with only two, despite the end of the box saying otherwise.
I suggested that they take a choke tube off the shelf that was 10 feet from us and replace the missing choke tube. They said they couldn't do that. The idiot sales person was holding the gun as I walked out the door.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/19/15
I've always wondered how they do their market research. Here in North Florida, there isn't a Cabelas within four hundred miles (none in Florida), but BPS has two stores (I think) here and the rumor is a third will be built here in Jacksonville.
Posted By: RRemus Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/19/15
Kenny mentioned spending money at Scheels.

For the most part their prices are fair, but their sale prices are crazy.

I was just at the Rochester Mn store and they were selling a medium priced stainless bolt actions cheaper than the competition was selling the same blued models. Don't want to use a brand but it pained me to put it back.

Their help is knowledgeable and the selection runs deep.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Talked with come Cabela's folks today.. Ain't going to happen according to the head shed.. But who knows.. Bass Pro is not my favorite outdoor shop.. I have been a Cabels's fan since 1989... Not about to change..

Doesn't really matter what Cabelas says. Now that they're public, they can be taken over even if they don't want to be bought out.
Posted By: CharlesL Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/22/15
From what I have read a corporate raider is trying to gain control of Cabelas and then sell off the pieces for a quick profit. That has gotten Bass Pro and others interested in buying it. The more I read the more it sounds like a hostile take over.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/22/15
CharlesL,

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I also read in the article I mentioned above that Cabela's in Billings had 13% profit this year.
That would make a quick sale in a take over wouldn't it?

Ken

PS 1000 posts grin
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/28/15
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
...Doesn't really matter what Cabelas says. Now that they're public, they can be taken over even if they don't want to be bought out...

Originally Posted by CharlesL
...From what I have read a corporate raider is trying to gain control of Cabelas and then sell off the pieces for a quick profit. That has gotten Bass Pro and others interested in buying it. The more I read the more it sounds like a hostile take over...

Bingo, and, Bingo ^^^^^ Unfortunately, if it is a publicly traded company, even if the board does not want to sell the company, an outsider with deep pockets can buy enough shares to either force their hand, or make life miserable enough (bleed profit, file lawsuits, monkey with stock price/ratings) that they force their hand.

In regards to the 2000 employees at the home office, "Thank you very much. Here is your severance package. Have a nice life..." Such is the corporate mentality in 2015...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/28/15
Have not read the entire thread....but Bass Pro also bought Ranger Boats. The CEO and CFO of Ranger both resigned recently.

Not sure how I feel about that as far as Ranger boats are concerned.
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR
As a born and raised Nebraskan it saddens me to even think this could happen. I have not seen anything that says it's a done deal, but I can tell you the 2000 people in Sidney, NE that Cabela's employs are schitting in their pants right now. Sidney is a town of less than 7000 and this would be devastating to their economy.

I agree it was a big mistake for Cabela's to go public. The family was doing just fine on their own. Actually, I have seen quite a difference in the company after going public, and not for the better.

Mike

It saddens me. I probably got 90% of my outdoor gear from them and I liked their Midwestern roots. IMO, they defined customer service.
Posted By: 4winds Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/28/15
I usually get eithers's gift cards from family members then go online and hit a sale. Far better products and their associated prices are available from the mom&pops online.
Sad but they asked for it.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/29/15
Cabelas opened a store in Greenville last year and bass pro is building 20 min away from there as we speak.
1. Link? Methinks the latest information on this is that nothing has changed yet.

2. Why is this in the Africa forum?

Steve.
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 11/29/15
IT looks like it started there!!

Ken

Started by JJHACK
Posted By: PaFrank Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/19/15
I've had a Cabela's gift card in my wallet now for almost a year. I've been there a few dozen times, The Delaware store is 11 miles away) and they never seem to have what I want or need. Never have the powder I want or need, Never have the bullets I need.. guns and optics are overpriced.. And they "Gun Room" for the special stuff, makes the pirates at the local gunshows look cheap. But I keep trying!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/19/15
The main problem with Cabela's is that they seemed to shift away from cabela's "branded" items a few years ago. If I wanted to buy Sitka, NorthFace or Under Armour, I'd surf the internet and see who has some on sale. No reason to buy it from Cabela's.

Although, it does seem that over the past year they may have started correcting that and might be shifting back. I was in the Ft. Worth store today and bought their version of a micro puff down jacket for $59. All the UA, North face and comparable others were $150+
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/19/15
I see the opposite, they start selling products from American companies like Boyt, then get chineese knockoff chitt made for cheap. Next they drop the good stuff and sell chitt for slightly less. Must add their chitt is not as chitty as most chineese chitt. Whew, that hurt!!!
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I see the opposite, they start selling products from American companies like Boyt, then get chineese knockoff chitt made for cheap. Next they drop the good stuff and sell chitt for slightly less. Must add their chitt is not as chitty as most chineese chitt. Whew, that hurt!!!

fwiw,
Boyt, afaik, is not an American Made Product. Looks like it, however, read the tag. I did and eventually added a C note and bought Filson.. Buying Made in USA is a job in itself and impossible in many fields from my experience...

Regards, Matt.
They did it to themselves they quit selling name brands and started copycat in everything...when I shop there the stores hav people in them but no huge lines at the register... If you want made in China you can get that anywhere....sportsmans warehouse for me....
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/20/15
Boyt was an American product, but has moved to China like so many others. That was my example, but Cabelas has done the same to others. Think about the fact that buy using this tactic, they have forced the production of all similar products overseas.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/20/15
Boyt moved to China???? shocked

That is soooooooo sucky!
Posted By: hatari Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/20/15
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Boyt was an American product, but has moved to China like so many others. That was my example, but Cabelas has done the same to others. Think about the fact that buy using this tactic, they have forced the production of all similar products overseas.

No we consumers forced the production to China on everything because we buy 98% on price!!!
Posted By: sbhooper Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/20/15
Originally Posted by BOWHUNR

Mike

My wife was working customer service for Cabela's, when they went public. I knew that it would not be good. Too big is going to hurt at some point.

Hopefully, most of the Cabela's structure will stay in place and the money will just be controlled by Bass Pro. Sidney, Nebraska is a crappy little town that will completely go away if Cabela's stuff is pulled.

Gonna be interesting.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Bass pro buys cabelas - 12/20/15
I would say it is a chicken/eggthing. Retailer's do it to make an extra buck, we do it to save a buck.
© 24hourcampfire