Home
Posted By: Cowboysforlife34 Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
How much would it cost to hunt these(not fenced)? And how much would taxidermy cost(cheapest route possible)?
Posted By: fgold767 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
hope you win the lottery......
you'll need it
Posted By: rost495 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
asking cost of big 5 and then asking about cheap taxidermy? WTF, I'd say go away now already....
Posted By: maddog Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
$200,000+, and more than one trip......

maddog
Posted By: Cowboysforlife34 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
Not "cheap" but cheapest. I could always just get the hides or euro mounts or something.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
Are you from Oregon?
Posted By: Cowboysforlife34 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
TN
That would have been my second guess.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
ignore I think is best.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
I have no idea and probably couldn't go to Africa for the "cheapest 5" but I'll bet that the taxidermy bill alone for the big 5 would buy a decent house.
Originally Posted by rost495
ignore I think is best.

Already did that......
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
The cheapest way to do it would be to visit a national park and shoot them all with the rifle you brought into the country for some cheap hunt. Then rather than taxidermy, take a digital photo quick, before you're arrested--or shot.
Posted By: RAC Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
Cowboysforlife34, no offense here, but I don't think these old boys think you are for real. I will give you a hint...one doesn't ask how much it would cost to hunt the big five and then wants to know about cheap taxidermy. That's about like buying a Ferrari and being concerned with the car's MPG.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Big 5 cost - 11/23/15
Just an idea, why not film your hunt, and forget about the taxidermy? That way you can relive your entire hunt at a fraction of the cost.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/24/15
A quick semi-educated (read and figure only) guess from me is around 300 should cover it all nicely.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Big 5 cost - 11/24/15
I always figured that this is in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Big 5 cost - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by doubletap
I always figured that this is in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" category.
Yup.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/27/15
It varies, but as of a few years ago in Zimbabwe, a DG safari cost around $1500 per day plus trophy fees. For that figure about $5,000 for buffalo and $10,000 for elephant. A lion will run at least $10,000 more and a leopard about $5,000. If you try for all four, you'd better book for 28 days. Don't forget taxes and tips, etc. Also maybe a $3,000 charter fee for flying from an airport to the hunting area, in addition to maybe $2,500 for regularly scheduled airlines from the USA.

Also you will want to shoot some bait animals and there are also trophy fees for plains game you will encounter. Might be several hundred dollars for impala and warthog and $7,000 for sable.

Ask a good booking agent for a cost workup. To take all the big four probably requires at least two safaris. Maybe more. I have missed on leopard in two attempts.

As for rhino, the train has left the station. In 2006 I could have shot a white rhino for a trophy fee of $40,000. I passed and you can't do it for that now. Even that was behind a high-fenced area in RSA. Best to shoot a hippo and a croc instead. They cost about $3,000 each when I hunted.

As for taxidermy it depends on what you want. It ain't cheap. A friend of mine shot the last legal black rhino in Kenya, with a long bow, in 1976. He has a full body mount. Impressive.

A worse problem is that the Obamunists have outlawed importation of elephant parts from Zimbabwe and Tanzania, the two countries where there are the most of them to hunt, at least for now. I suspect to find importation of lion trophies will also soon be outlawed.

So if you're serious, go soon. I suspect we'll live to see "big 5" hunting limited to shooting buffalo. And, despite all the stories you may have read about the Cape buffalo, hunting them is about like hiking in the hot sun for five or six days followed by shooting a big cow, if you're at all a good shot.
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Big 5 cost - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
And, despite all the stories you may have read about the Cape buffalo, hunting them is about like hiking in the hot sun for five or six days followed by shooting a big cow...

That is always how I've felt regarding cape buff...

Flame suit on! grin
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Big 5 cost - 11/27/15
Originally Posted by FOsteology
And, despite all the stories you may have read about the Cape buffalo, hunting them is about like hiking in the hot sun for five or six days followed by shooting a big cow...

Flame suit on! grin

You're going to need it... smile
Posted By: whelennut Re: Big 5 cost - 11/27/15
Don't forget you will need to put an addition on the house for the trophy room.
Posted By: agazain Re: Big 5 cost - 11/27/15
If you have to ask...
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/28/15
I found some figures quoted me for a Big 4 (everything but Rhino) safari by one outfitter in 2011. They would probably be more now and Rhino would add something more than $40K. Also, tips and plains game trophy fees are not included. Add also air fare from the US to Harare and overnight in Johannesburg on the way. Also 28 days would be better than 21.

21 Days 46200
Elephant, bull 13500
Hippo 3500
Buff 4000
Lion, male 12000
Leopard 6000
Tuskless 4000
Trophy Prep 1200
Cites 300
Charter 2000
Govt taxes 2644
Mars 210

In addition most people going on a DG hunt need to buy a new rifle unless you have at least a .375 laying around.

I strongly recommend that if this is your first hunt in Africa, you go for plains game only and in RSA. In 2006 I took eight animals in seven days for a total cost, including air fare, less than one guided bull elk hunt in Utah.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Big 5 cost - 11/28/15
Elephant could be done for less in Zimbabwe, if you are not too worried about exporting the trophy.

Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Big 5 cost - 11/29/15
Originally Posted by KMGHuntingSafaris
Elephant could be done for less in Zimbabwe, if you are not too worried about exporting the trophy.

That's the elephant hunt I want to do.
Posted By: hatari Re: Big 5 cost - 11/29/15
Originally Posted by FOsteology

Flame suit on! grin

It might seem that way, until you are stalking one in head high grass, and he charges from 25 yards. I've seen it. Also had a tracker in our party gored following up one well hit, dying, but not dead. Ripped his thigh open about 10" worth before the PH finished him off at 5 paces.

It is all easy until it's not. Killed my leopard dead with one shot. Client before me in Zambia gut shot a leopard at dusk and my PH had to blast him with buckshot as it reached for his leg.

Too many instances of people getting whacked by buffalo to be cavalier. That "cow" attitude will not endear you to your PH, who is responsible for your safety, and that of the hunting party. If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink
Posted By: FOsteology Re: Big 5 cost - 11/29/15
Originally Posted by hatari
If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink

Make no mistake, I have a healthy dose of respect for any animal that can be potentially dangerous. Buff. is just one of those animals that doesn't turn my crank, and no matter what, simply can't get excited/enthused about hunting.

Give me the pussy cats any day! wink
Posted By: hatari Re: Big 5 cost - 11/29/15
Wish I had taken a lion when it was the same as leopard. Out of my budget now permanently.

Had lions scare the pee outta me in Tanz. Checking bait in a tree at mid day located near a riverbank with some thick stuff along it. After checking the clearing, our party approached the baits and noted the mane hair stuck on it. About that time, undetected by us, 2 male lions awoke from their slumder not 40 yards away, roared to beat the band, and ran off. Damn but my heart stopped. Thrilling but Jeezus that awoke some primordial fears I didn't knew existed!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 11/30/15
Lions scare the schitt out of me too! Almost got a chance to shoot a lioness in Zim years ago. She almost got a chance to eat me, it was a stand off and ended up in a draw...
You guys already know by my handle the leopards scare the schitt out of me too...but not till they are wounded....
I LOVED hunting buffalo but frankly didn't have any real frights from them. You knew it was serious business but like leopard, nothing to fear unless you screwed up your part. I screwed up my part with leopard and had an 'adventure', didn't screw up with buffalo.
I had a stare down with a couple buffalo at less than 20 yards for 20 minutes and never felt the slightest twinge of fear, one cow with huge horns was giving me the uber-hairy eyeball but I figured it she decided to come, she was a pretty big target at that range...she didn't.
Posted By: BH63 Re: Big 5 cost - 11/30/15
Just an idea, why not film your hunt, and forget about the taxidermy? That way you can relive your entire hunt at a fraction of the cost.

Then why bother to shoot the animals? Just go on a photo safari.

Looking at my elephant ivory and cape buff shoulder mounts, have given me much joy over the years and bring back details of the hunt. Having the actual trophy to touch (and show your friends) makes the memories much more real than a DVD would IMO.

BH
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lions scare the schitt out of me too! Almost got a chance to shoot a lioness in Zim years ago. She almost got a chance to eat me, it was a stand off and ended up in a draw...

I've always said that if the critter dies and I live, I win, if the critter lives and I die, the critter wins, if we both live, or we both die, then it's a draw. Which one was it for you?

BH
I would recommend forgetting the plains game, especially if you've shot a lot of deer and/or elk, and go to Zim and shoot a Cape Buffalo. That is probably the cheapest way to hunt dangerous game in a free-roaming environment.

Besides the cost of the daily rate and trophy fee, you will have to pay to have the trophy dipped and shipped, and upon entry to the USA you will have a Customs fee. Also you are expected to tip the PH and his staff.

A recent pricing from Jonas Bros of Denver, CO shows $1800.00 for a shoulder mount of a Cape Buffalo. You can probably get it done cheaper, but make sure the taxidermist has experience with African trophies.

BH
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 11/30/15
Originally Posted by BH63

I've always said that if the critter dies and I live, I win, if the critter lives and I die, the critter wins, if we both live, or we both die, then it's a draw. Which one was it for you?

BH

We both lived.....
Posted By: maddog Re: Big 5 cost - 11/30/15
Gotta say, from my extremely limited experience, hunting tuskless cow ele,, up close in a herd, is just about as exciting as it gets......especially with a Ruger No. 1.....just sayin'.......grin

maddog
Posted By: BH63 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/01/15

BH

We both lived.....

Glad to hear that!

BTW: I grew up in SW Kentucky (Madisonville), you anywhere nears that?

BH63
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/01/15
Originally Posted by hatari
If you can't respect the danger involved, I suggest sticking to white tailed deer. wink

I absolutely do respect the danger. But if you do, I think the actual "hunt" might be easier than for white tail deer.

In Zim we hunted buffalo by finding a track, then leaving the hunting car and following it all day. We had several people in our party--me, the PH, three trackers. Eventually we came up on the buff and could shoot it. I was as careful as possible not to shoot unless I knew I could make a kill.

Try sneaking up on a white tail deer with five people. Yes, white tail hunting can be challenging but the deer does not look at you "like you owe him money." Or look as good in your trophy room.

Like a deer, my first buff ran off a little and we had to follow up. Unnerving thoughts in my head that would not occur with deer. As we were approaching my second buff, a lion stepped out of the bush and was a bit angry we had deprived him of his lunch.

Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/01/15
Originally Posted by maddog
Gotta say, from my extremely limited experience, hunting tuskless cow ele,, up close in a herd, is just about as exciting as it gets......especially with a Ruger No. 1.....just sayin'.......grin

maddog

If I ever go back, that is what I will do. You can probably get more than one in a three-week hunt. It's more dangerous than hunting bulls. The bulls don't hang out in herds but in very small groups. Shoot one and he'll take off in whatever direction he is facing for a hundred yards or so before dropping. The cows, on the other hand, will hunt you, I'm told.

With the recent ban on importing ivory into the USA, that seems the way to go.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 12/01/15

BH

We both lived.....

Glad to hear that!

BTW: I grew up in SW Kentucky (Madisonville), you anywhere nears that?

BH63

Nope...I'm in Montucky...a few miles away....
Posted By: BH63 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/02/15
As far as hunting Cape Buffalo, I like Capstick's analogy of how many times if you shoot an undisturbed Cape Buffalo in the right spot with enough gun and the right bullet, "it will curl up and die, like a spider in a campfire" and then "under identical conditions, the thing will be on his feet in an instant... and coming at you".

He also goes on to say, that a charging lion and a charging elephant will almost always turn when shot, but cape buffalo almost never do.

Once a cape buffalo gets upset, it can take an almost supernatural amount of damage and keep on coming.

There is an interesting video on you-tube, where an old cape buff goes head to head with a rhino. Although the old buff gets gored severely in the end, and probably dies, it is amazing to watch how the old buff attacks the rhino again and again.

IMO the Cape buff is the bravest, meanest creature currently alive today (at least that you can legally hunt).

I understand, that back in the olden days, a wounded tiger was considered one of the most dangerous animals on the planet.

BH
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 12/02/15
If you want brave and mean, wound a leopard once .

If they have even one iota of their nine lives left, they will use it on you.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Big 5 cost - 12/02/15
...And, despite all the stories you may have read about the Cape buffalo, hunting them is about like hiking in the hot sun for five or six days followed by shooting a big cow, if you're at all a good shot.

I absolutely do respect the danger...

I am scratching my head trying to figure out how you reconcile these two quotes from two separate posts on this thread...

...But if you do, I think the actual "hunt" might be easier than for white tail deer.

I couldn't disagree more. In my experience, some white-tailed deer can be ridiculously easy to hunt and kill, some are middling-tough, and some are the greatest hunting challenge ever. I think the degree of difficulty comes down to a matter of the nature of individual animals. All deer do not behave the same, nor do all buffalo

But the key difference between hunting white-tailed deer and Cape buffalo is that deer do not have the established credible reputation of being man-killers when wounded, or even when just seriously pissed-off. I frankly can't imagine ever getting bored of the pursuit of either species, but the thrill of a "hiking for several hours in the hot sun" while trailing buffalo and stalking in close enough to smell them before deciding to take a shot is, to my mind, as challenging and exciting as any other hunting I've done or plan to do.

We don't all find the same kinds of hunts interesting or challenging, and that's no doubt partly due to individual differences in our makeup, and as the Frogs say, vive la difference. But I also suspect it's partly due to the nature of one's experience hunting buffalo, the nature of the bulls you're pursuing, the skill with which one's PH teaches you about the nuances of the hunt, and other factors.

Getting busted by a lion (as you experienced) or a charging black rhino (as happened on one of my buffalo stalks) does tend to stand out in one's mind, though, regardless of how interested you are or aren't in the buff!
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Big 5 cost - 12/02/15

maddog

I would be extremely reluctant to hunt any DG species but ESPECIALLY cow elephant with a single-shot rifle, even if one's PH is armed with a double or a magazine rifle.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 12/03/15
I have met, dined, and drank with mad dog.

He has cajones made of bronze.... grin
Posted By: GuyM Re: Big 5 cost - 12/03/15

This, I do not doubt.

Guy
Posted By: GuyM Re: Big 5 cost - 12/03/15

maddog

Yee Haw!
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Big 5 cost - 12/03/15
If you want brave and mean, wound a leopard once .

If they have even one iota of their nine lives left, they will use it on you.

In Namibia, I had to go after a wounded Leopard in the dark once. I was not prepared to wait to take photos of a "morning" cat. I was offered a scoped .270Win, with a tracker by my side, holding a 2 AA cell battery mag light. Wouldn't say it was the highlight of my career.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15
KMG...I know the feeling. Went after one in the dark in Zim with my .375 and somebody else carrying the light...
Posted By: maddog Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15
Originally Posted by GuyM

This, I do not doubt.

Guy

Ah hell, ya can hunt anything on this planet, with a single shot rifle, longas ya got a bubba buddy to go with it.....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15
Yeah, Mike is the only one I don't jibe about his Bubba Buddy grin

But all kidding aside, I have heard from reliable sources that the tusk less cows, especially close to the Moz border are dangerous as hell because of the poaching.

They apparently get tracked down and turned down for having no ivory by the bad guys...makes them ouch to have folks sneaking up on them all the time....
Posted By: BH63 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15

In Namibia, I had to go after a wounded Leopard in the dark once. I was not prepared to wait to take photos of a "morning" cat. I was offered a scoped .270Win, with a tracker by my side, holding a 2 AA cell battery mag light. Wouldn't say it was the highlight of my career.

Wow, From what I've read of leopard hunting, that escapade is almost suicidal! I understand many PHs prefer shotguns loaded with buckshot if they have to go after a wounded leopard.

So I have to ask, how did it turn out? Was the leopard already dead or did you have to snap shoot it with a .270>

BH63
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15

Wow, From what I've read of leopard hunting, that escapade is almost suicidal! I understand many PHs prefer shotguns loaded with buckshot if they have to go after a wounded leopard.

So I have to ask, how did it turn out? Was the leopard already dead or did you have to snap shoot it with a .270>

BH63

Well, at least in South Africa, I have the .500N.E for backup, but you have to make use to what is given to you in another country. Regarding backing up on Leopard, the .270Win is certainly not the choice of many smile I can laugh about it now.
The feeling when every ounce of your body tells you to turn back, and you know that there is a job that needs to be done, is a very real feeling, and one difficult to explain.

The Leopard was stone dead when I found in a crevice of a rock.
I must admit that I cheated a little bit. I had two Jack Russels by my side. You could see on the dogs' behavior, they knew something was about to go down.

Posted By: Heeler Re: Big 5 cost - 12/04/15
Yeah, Mike is the only one I don't jibe about his Bubba Buddy grin

But all kidding aside, I have heard from reliable sources that the tusk less cows, especially close to the Moz border are dangerous as hell because of the poaching.

They apparently get tracked down and turned down for having no ivory by the bad guys...makes them ouch to have folks sneaking up on them all the time....

I've heard tuskless cows referred to as "b*tches of the bush". That might have been in Robertson's Perfect Shot, IIRC?

And there are usually some pretty good deals offered by the guys in Zim to go shoot two or three late in September-November.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Big 5 cost - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by GuyM

This, I do not doubt.

Guy

Ah hell, ya can hunt anything on this planet, with a single shot rifle, longas ya got a bubba buddy to go with it.....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog

Well, to each his own.

But I have seen a PH completely miss a bull elephant with two shots. I will stick with repeating rifles.

You can always shoot a Model 70 just once. But you can't shoot a single shot twice, at least not very quickly. Yeah I know about holding a spare round in your fingers. But have you ever dropped a round while reloading in the presence of DG? I have.
© 24hourcampfire