Home
Posted By: dvdegeorge Zebra - 06/14/16
My zebra pedestal mount is coming along nicely!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Zebra - 06/14/16
very nice....my zebra was the first animal I took in Africa.....will never forget.....
Posted By: Fjold Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
very nice....my zebra was the first animal I took in Africa.....will never forget.....

Mine also. 301 yards in Namibia.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Mine was my third African animal, at 18 yards with a bow. The second zebra was abou my 12th animal, bow at 30 yards.
They are an awesome and tough animal.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
My Zebra taken in Namibia was of the Hartmann's Mountain variety- hunting these animals in the arid, hot, rocky mountains of Namibia was a great hunting experience.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
I don't know who this skinny young sprout of a boy is, but he is one handsome devil! Posing with his first zebra, a Hartmanns, in 1987...

[Linked Image]

Notice the scope.....oh, to have young eyes again!
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
I don't know who this skinny young sprout of a boy is, but he is one handsome devil! Posing with his first zebra, a Hartmanns, in 1987...

[Linked Image]

They had color film back then...??
It was colorized on photoshop. grin

Didn't think it would matter cause the zebra was in black and white.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Zebra - 06/15/16

Mine, in Namib also. Played cat and mouse with a small herd led by this old mare; it was a very challenging stalk.

BTW, that is a 24HCF ball cap. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Great pics. My Hartman's hunt was one I will never forget, a real ballbuster on my first day of my first Namibian hunt. 8 hours, 8-10 miles later I finally put one down.

It is a must hunt for those visiting Namibia IMO. As a bonus, as Ingwe told me before I went (and I didn't really believe him, honestly)the steaks off this zebra were magnificent eating......some of the best.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Zebra - 06/15/16

Some very nice disco donkey's!

I absolutely love hunting zebra, one of my favorite animals.

I have several rugs and also have a pedestal mount in the works like Mr. Dan.

Cool stuff, guys.

Those zebra steaks have my mouth watering JGRaider!
Chris, thats a BIG 10-4 on the steaks.....definitely a favorite and Zebra hamburgers are the BEST!

Seems like for plains game, next to kudu, zebra offer the most interesting hunt.

Tell me if you've noticed, or think Im off my rocker.

Burchells zebra tend to rely on their buddies senses a lot. Often see them running with Eland, giraffe, or other 'alert' species.
Hartmanns rely on their own senses....doesnt make them easier to sneak on! grin
Posted By: RinB Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Have hunted them in Namibia, RSA, and Zim.
Probably my favorite trophy to have in my home. I have a couple of rugs.
Yes, as a trophy in my home, even better than sheep or big kudu.
Great eating if yellow fat removed before cooking. Yum.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
My first African animal was a zebra as well. I was there for buff first, kudu and eland second, and didn't care if I shot anything particular after that, but my PH want to see me shoot some kind of game before he'd cut me loose on buff, understandably. So I had my choice of wildebeest or zebra, and as I have no interest in hanging a gnu on my wall, I chose zebra.

We spotted a large mixed herd from the hunting car and then stalked in on foot half a mile or so. I was surprised at how much fun it was. I shot my stallion dead at about 150 yards, and we skinned him out for a rug.

The Redhead is really looking forward to getting that rug, as am I. But when I went down to the taxidermy shop to see my heads/skins when they came in last month, I saw several zebra shoulder mounts that were absolutely beautiful. Now I have another animal I need to go back to Africa for... I gots to have a zebra shoulder mount in my study, and probably another zebra rug for the den, since the first rug is going in the bedroom...
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
I enjoy hunting zebra with my clients. It's the one animal the Foreign hunters can track alone. All the cloven hooves tend to look the same or too similar for the hunters to make sense of most of the time.

However, once on the zebra track I can let them go in front of me and track themselves. Zebra are often quite chatty as well, adding to the foreplay of getting closer. Sometimes after tracking for an hour or so we hear them 200-400 meters away and know we are closing in.

I think the American Hunters tracking and hunting this way enjoy this hunt at least as much as anything else we go after. For those who tell me that they just cannot shoot a zebra because it's like a horse, Well the decision is theirs, however I know they miss out on one of the true stalking adventures they can do all by themselves and make this a true hunt on there own. I'm just along for moral support when tracking and hunting zebra!

It's also not possible to sex them 100% so I don't even care which one they shoot. Anyone is as good as another. If you're going to try and explain to me the way to sex them...... well I welcome the entertaining opinions but it's simply not possible to do 100% of the time.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
That's a dandy Dan, congrats buddy.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Zebra - 06/15/16

JJ, perhaps you can confirm something for me. My PH/rancher said to shoot the leading mare, an older, presumably dry animal. He told me they are the preferred animal over a herd stallion for two reasons.

The first was, he said, stallions are usually scarred up from biting, kicking, and general fighting amongst themselves. But more importantly, he claimed that when you down a stallion, the next one off the bench in their social order would kill all the dead stallion's foals impacting the herd all the more.

Anyway, it was probably the plains game hunt I enjoyed the most as they were very wary and even with all the bush it took several hours to get the shot.
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
When I went to SA--the zebra was the one animal I wanted the most. To me it says "Africa".
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
I took Zebra $$$ to RSA in 2014

But couldn't pass up this brute

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: rost495 Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Much as I have about zero Africa desire, I do think zebras are cool.

They have them around here off and on, some ranches, always neat to see them.
Posted By: CRS Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Way to fan the flames! Nice pictures.

Leaving Tuesday, zebra is on the list.

But then again, so is Oryx, kudu, impala.....

Have to see how the hunt goddess Diana smiles.

Posted By: JJHACK Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
George, old stallions are usually pretty beat up especially the mane and tail. The biggest oldest mare is often bigger in body, and usually has nice mane and tail.

I'm not sure about the killing off of colts by a new male. In 25 years never heard that one. That's 100% true for lions but never heard it with zebras. I'm doubtful this is the case, but experienced enough to know I don't know everything.
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

JJ, perhaps you can confirm something for me. My PH/rancher said to shoot the leading mare, an older, presumably dry animal. He told me they are the preferred animal over a herd stallion for two reasons.

The first was, he said, stallions are usually scarred up from biting, kicking, and general fighting amongst themselves. But more importantly, he claimed that when you down a stallion, the next one off the bench in their social order would kill all the dead stallion's foals impacting the herd all the more.

Anyway, it was probably the plains game hunt I enjoyed the most as they were very wary and even with all the bush it took several hours to get the shot.

George,
The killing of colts by new males are quite frequent in our area. We have found numerous colts dead, after receiving a kick to the head from the new stallion taking over the group.
Posted By: RinB Re: Zebra - 06/15/16
Zebra rugs.
Now for something different.
A close pal went on his first African trip. He got excited and shot a young zebra. He got a lot of kidding in camp. However it was very good eating. Then the big surprise. He had it made into a rug. Since it was young it was small so he could use it in many places where a bigger rug would not have worked. In addition it was thick and lush...not a single mark on it. It was much more beautiful than 95% of the adult rugs.
I tried to get it from him but he wouldn't part with it.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
First Africa kill as well. The rifle? 375 H&H Model 70...OF COURSE. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
I'd say the 70 in 375 would have to be at least, if not more cool, than a sheep with 270 in an 70...
Posted By: CRS Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Has anyone here had shields made with any skins from their African animals?

That is what I am thinking of trying to do with any zebra/blue wildebeest I am fortunate enough to kill.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
This topic has spurred some curiosity for me. I sent an email to a Wildlife manager acquaintance of mine in RSA, However I now find he is living in Namibia. He works with a film maker doing wildlife video and programs for television. Surprisingly he responded quickly, Figured would hear back about this in a few months! He reply:

No one knows for sure how common infanticide is in wild zebras. Research showed that infanticide has only been witnessed 3 or 4 times in wild populations and never filmed.

When infant animals are killed, it can also accelerate the onset of the mother’s estrus cycle. In which case the female can breed sooner, and the new male can maximize his chances of producing his own offspring. It's also noteworthy that only male off spring have ever been killed it seems. Probably so the stallion would have additional mates within the herd. This of course is assuming that the new male zebra has the mental capacity to think about all this while trying to survive.

Because zebra infanticide is so rare, we were utterly shocked when we came across this. It ranks as one of the more traumatic events we’ve witnessed in 2 decades filming in the wild.
-------------------------------------------------------------
So for me this seals the deal, it's real and it's much like the way lions handle offspring from another male. However, it's not a very common situation, and may be completely unheard of in fuller more stable populations where plenty of zebra exist.
Posted By: Rodell Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
My partner took this Zebra a couple of weeks ago in Namibia, with the lowly 30-06 and a 180 Accubond.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: tedthorn Re: Zebra - 06/16/16

The Artistry of Wildlife owner Dennis Harris made this one famouse

[img:center]http://www.africahunting.com/attachments/img_0538_zpsksvgwx6q-jpg.47815/[/img]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Here is the pic...fabulous!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Another one that fell to a woman with the lowly .30-06.....180 TSX

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Here is the pic...fabulous!

[Linked Image]

Thanks ingwe

Dennis is doing all of my 2014 animals and last year's bull elk. He has promised the Kudu wall pedistal will soon be completed
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
That is a unique and stunning mount, Ted!
Posted By: CharlesL Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Gorgeous! I didn't really consider a mount. I wanted a rug and now I am wanting a mount. So much for me having less taxidermy. whistle
Posted By: EdM Re: Zebra - 06/16/16
Nice looking animal Dan. I have never desired one and will likely pass when I head back next fall. Not sure why???
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zebra - 06/17/16
I know what you mean Ed. Im the same way with giraffe.....

( but i will shoot and eat a zebra!)
Posted By: CRS Re: Zebra - 06/17/16
I am with you on giraffe.

To be honest, zebra is not a must have.
But it is a classic African plains game specie.

This thread has got me excited about them, but with wheels up in 4 days, the excitement level is already through the roof.

Final pack was yesterday, with the weekend for double checking.

Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Zebra - 06/17/16
Chris, thats a BIG 10-4 on the steaks.....definitely a favorite and Zebra hamburgers are the BEST!

Seems like for plains game, next to kudu, zebra offer the most interesting hunt.

Tell me if you've noticed, or think Im off my rocker.

Burchells zebra tend to rely on their buddies senses a lot. Often see them running with Eland, giraffe, or other 'alert' species.
Hartmanns rely on their own senses....doesnt make them easier to sneak on! grin

I agree 100%!

Seems like they are almost always near eland or giraffe when I hunt them.
Posted By: FishN4Eyes Re: Zebra - 06/17/16

Ah hell. You guys got me to missing Africa so I had to hang a pic.

Here's one my youngest daughter, Ally shot. Oldest daughter, Rylie, pictured also.

First summer in about five years I'm not headed to Africa and damn I'm missing it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Zebra - 06/17/16
I guess I should post a couple on scene pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Zebra - 06/17/16

All very nice. Just a simple rug here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Zebra - 06/17/16
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Gorgeous! I didn't really consider a mount. I wanted a rug and now I am wanting a mount. So much for me having less taxidermy. whistle

Charles, the trophy fee on zebra is cheap. Shoot two!
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
Got the mount Saturday

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMD Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
[Linked Image]

I like them both we enjoy reliving the Safari every day and it definitely is a conversation piece when friends come over.
Posted By: okierifleman Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
I am headed over next month and a zebra is definately on my list. I really want to do a pedestal on mine, I think they really look awesome
Posted By: BMD Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by okierifleman
I am headed over next month and a zebra is definately on my list. I really want to do a pedestal on mine, I think they really look awesome

I leave 7/24 and return 8/5 where you going?
Posted By: KMGHuntingSafaris Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
That Zebra mount is a very classy piece, Scott. Congratulations.
Who did the work?
Posted By: CharlesL Re: Zebra - 07/11/16
Ingwe, Beautiful mount. Can you give a rough idea of the size?

Thanks,
CharlesL
Posted By: BMD Re: Zebra - 07/12/16
Double D in Rockwall Texas did my zebra and his son Dustin Cade did the giraffe
Posted By: ingwe Re: Zebra - 07/12/16

Thanks,
CharlesL

Charles, Im sorry I can't thats just a pic from the innanet grin
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Zebra - 07/12/16

Thanks,
CharlesL

Charles, Im sorry I can't thats just a pic from the innanet grin
Go ahead and guess Ingwe......

You're a fisherman,no one will believe you any way! laugh
Posted By: BMD Re: Zebra - 07/12/16
Just message Dennis Harris he will give you the size.
Posted By: RAC Re: Zebra - 07/12/16
Last year in Botswana.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: okierifleman Re: Zebra - 07/12/16
Originally Posted by BMD
Originally Posted by okierifleman

I leave 7/24 and return 8/5 where you going?

We are leaving 8/12 and coming back on 8/26
Posted By: BMD Re: Zebra - 07/14/16
Good luck countdown down to 9 days for us
Posted By: CharlesL Re: Zebra - 07/23/16
I have decided to do the Africa shield mount. It should be smaller than a skin an not protrude out as far as a shoulder mount.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Zebra - 07/23/16
I have decided to do the Africa shield mount. It should be smaller than a skin an not protrude out as far as a shoulder mount.

[Linked Image]

Will you use Dennis for this?
Posted By: CharlesL Re: Zebra - 07/23/16
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Highveld

[Linked Image]
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Zebra - 07/23/16
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Highveld

[Linked Image]

Best of luck
I hope you specified a tucked lip option and not like the one pictured.

Some cat across the pond had his mind set on giraffe lips on that one
Posted By: tmc0304 Re: Zebra - 08/06/16
Got back one month ago. My 4th animal. Shot at 75 yards with a Savage 99 in 300 Savage, open sights.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x140/bluemarlinman/Africa%20132_zpseajfrzwz.jpg
Posted By: tmc0304 Re: Zebra - 08/06/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rogn Re: Zebra - 08/18/16
Very beautiful mount. Just emailed it to my wife and told her to get plane tickets --Only partly kidding-next summer...............
Posted By: Biebs Re: Zebra - 08/18/16
I have both Hartmann and Burchell's mounts, but I just returned from Zambia, and learned that their Zebras, although not a different subspecies, are different. They have no shading, just black & white, but the striping continues around under their bellies and down the legs....fully striped. Gorgeous animal!
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Zebra - 08/20/16
Zebras are hard to hunt and delicious. I think the best game meat I have eaten.Hunting one is the ultimate revenge for every horse that has tried to buck you off, rubbed you off on a tree, bitten you, stepped on you or made you walk through prickly pear.
Posted By: KMG_Canada Re: Zebra - 08/23/16
My wife's first African big game animal a few years back, she has been hooked ever since:)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RevMike Re: Zebra - 08/25/16

[Linked Image]

Hey Ingwe: I was reading an old issue of Rifle the other day and JB ratted you out (by name, of all things!!) for butt-shooting a zebra with a 7x57 using partitions. Is this the one?

RM
© 24hourcampfire