Home
Have any of you personally used Woodleigh cup point solids (as loaded by Federal) in .470 NE on elephant or cape buff? I am more interested in personal experience as opposed to anecdotal stories, but either are welcome from reliable sources.

Thanks in advance.
I have shot the Hydro bullet in my 470 Nitro. They were accurate and I believe them to be good bullets. Unfortunately I never hunted with them. I have hunted with North Fork Cup Points and Solids and CEB's with good success.

This is a little information from some testing I did.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike:

Six feet of penetration in any media is impressive, thanks for posting. Was the wound channel more like a solid, expanding bullet or in between? Woodleigh is claiming both a larger temporary and permanent would channel compared to RN solids.
Tejano,

The "wound" channel in the newspaper was not noticeably different than Flat Nose solids I tested. In animal flesh there could be a difference.

Looking for my notes I ran across this video. Those big bullets will penetrate.

[img]http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q135/Mike70560/th_M4H011532.mp4[/img]

Thanks didn't quite believe it would act like an expanding bullet. But as you say could be different on soft tissue.
Side track if you don't mind. Does anyone make a 30 caliber solid? I don't want a spire point.
Never mind, looks like Woodleigh does.
Steelhead,

Cutting Edge Bullets make two different 30 caliber solids also.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=4308
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Steelhead,

Cutting Edge Bullets make two different 30 caliber solids also.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=4308

Thank you
I used Hydrostatically Stabilized solids in the .458 Win on several Australian water buffalo while culling, they are considerably bigger than the capes on average.

The good news is that they work at least as well as other flat-pointed mono solids. That is to say that every last one exited and might still be flying for all I know.As best I could tell they tracked straight.

The bad news is that on buffalo, solids aren't worth a fiddler's fornication. You're lucky if they even look hit. Compared to quality softs, on buffalo solids are a joke. If you want to use the Woodleighs on elephant on the other hand, they are likely as good as anything. Might even be better than some for all I know.
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
I used Hydrostatically Stabilized solids in the .458 Win on several Australian water buffalo while culling, they are considerably bigger than the capes on average.

The good news is that they work at least as well as other flat-pointed mono solids. That is to say that every last one exited and might still be flying for all I know.As best I could tell they tracked straight.

The bad news is that on buffalo, solids aren't worth a fiddler's fornication. You're lucky if they even look hit. Compared to quality softs, on buffalo solids are a joke. If you want to use the Woodleighs on elephant on the other hand, they are likely as good as anything. Might even be better than some for all I know.

100% spot on
OTOH, Swift A-Frames in a proper caliber - such as 0.423" - work quite well.
Haven't found anything better than the Swift yet.
© 24hourcampfire