Home
Posted By: Homesteader 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
Good morning All - a question for this group - IF one had a choice of a Ruger "African" w/23" barrel and open sights OR a CZ550 w/24" barrel w/o sights (both in 9.3X62mm) for your plains game light/medium rifle - which would you take? Reason? Tks
Homesteader
Posted By: ingwe Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
Ruger African. Because of the sights.....both are great and proven rifles but the Ruger gets the nod from me.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
I took the CZ American with a 24" barrel and put NECG sights on it. Nice combo!
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
I have a CZ American 9.3x62 and have no complaints. However, I think the older Ruger Africans are nicer. If you are looking at one with the nice Circassian stock and deep bluing, I would go that route.
Posted By: WvZ Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
I've hunted with my CZ in 9.3x62. It and the Ruger, which I've used on the range, seem to me fault-free. Ditto the commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 I've carried in Africa. I do like iron sights on a rifle of this type. WvZ

Originally Posted by Homesteader
Good morning All - a question for this group - IF one had a choice of a Ruger "African" w/23" barrel and open sights OR a CZ550 w/24" barrel w/o sights (both in 9.3X62mm) for your plains game light/medium rifle - which would you take? Reason? Tks
Homesteader
Posted By: CraigP Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
I would go with whichever one feels the best to you. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. My CZ has made 2 trips to Africa with me, and I couldn't imagine not taking it on my next one. While I love my CZ, I think I would be just as happy with the Ruger. The lack of sights on the CZ doesn't matter to me one bit as all my rifles are scoped and I pack an extra scope with rings when I travel, especially to Africa.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by WvZ
I've hunted with my CZ in 9.3x62. It and the Ruger, which I've used on the range, seem to me fault-free. Ditto the commercial Mauser in 9.3x62 I've carried in Africa. I do like iron sights on a rifle of this type. WvZ

I'm with you 100% in wanting open sights on my rifle. I got a big 4X5 mulie years ago that I wouldn't have taken after my scope fogged badly on my venerable Savage 99 300 SVG. I had it in pivot mounts and took the buck on my way back to the truck to get my other rifle.

I have had several of the CZs and Rugers in 9.3X62, and both were good rifles. The CZ Americans were clubby with too much wood in their stocks, and the Rugers were a bit muzzle heavy. BUT, as I said both models were very good and accurate.

My favorite is a well balanced Mauser like this Husqvarna 640 I have presently. It cost about 1/2 what a CZ 550 does and far less than the current prices of the Ruger Hawkeye.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tedthorn Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/19/17
For me it was Ruger

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Homesteader Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
tedthorn - very nice rife...wife would kill for a dining room table with wood like that. To all that responded - thanks for your input. Homesteader
Posted By: Homesteader Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
lantx005 - :...nice Circassian stock and deep bluing,..." Was not aware of this offering (figured wood etc.) at the time of my original Ruger older model purchase. My stock is a bit 'plain vanilla' compared to it BUT it fits me like I'm wearing a custom made suit...that counts for a lot. Homesteader
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
lantx005 - :...nice Circassian stock and deep bluing,..." Was not aware of this offering (figured wood etc.) at the time of my original Ruger older model purchase. My stock is a bit 'plain vanilla' compared to it BUT it fits me like I'm wearing a custom made suit...that counts for a lot. Homesteader

I am fairly certain they were a special run for Lipseys. I've seen some of similar quality to the one shown above in various calibers but have never ran across one in 375 H&H.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by lantx005

I am fairly certain they were a special run for Lipseys. I've seen some of similar quality to the one shown above in various calibers but have never ran across one in 375 H&H.

It was. Lipseys was selling them for $900.00 when the standard guns sold everywhere else were about $800.00. I balked at getting one and regret it.
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
Homesteader

I'd pick the Ruger, but both are good.

Let me add that 9.3 x 62 is the ONLY rifle you'll likely need in Africa (local regs excepted) for anything short of hippo or elephant. I have probably a half dozen Cape buffalo that will attest to its effectiveness.

Maybe if you want to go Springbok sniping in the Karoo, 25-06 would be flatter, but otherwise, you're golden with the 9.3.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/20/17
Originally Posted by hatari
Homesteader

I'd pick the Ruger, but both are good.

Let me add that 9.3 x 62 is the ONLY rifle you'll likely need in Africa (local regs excepted) for anything short of hippo or elephant. I have probably a half dozen Cape buffalo that will attest to its effectiveness.

Maybe if you want to go Springbok sniping in the Karoo, 25-06 would be flatter, but otherwise, you're golden with the 9.3.

Slight derail... Hatari, what bullets have you used for buffalo?
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/22/17
I have used 250 TSX and have also used the now impossible to find RWS H-Mantel. Both worked spectacularly.

I use H414 and R15 is another good choice. Recoil is amazingly mild when compared to the effectiveness. To me, no more than any of the .300 mags and not as sharp as a .338 mag.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/22/17
This would be my choice.

It is an AHR CZ550 in 9.3x62. I went to Africa twice before I owned it and would like to go back with it someday.

It shoots factory loaded 286 gr Norma Oryx very well.

Have a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has NECG sights and a 30mm Leica scope in detachable Talleys.

donsm70
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/22/17
Make it happen! smile

(BTW- Beautiful wood!)

Originally Posted by donsm70
This would be my choice.

It is an AHR CZ550 in 9.3x62. I went to Africa twice before I owned it and would like to go back with it someday.

[Linked Image]

donsm70
Posted By: Homesteader Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/22/17
IndyCA35 - I had forgotten Lipsey's - the rifle shown was worth the extra $$$ for the pretty wood BUT you dance with the 'gal you brung'. I'm sure my 'plain jane' will do me proud. Homesteader
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/23/17
My 9.3x62 is a rebored Interarms Mark X mannlicher with a 20" barrel. It is the big brother of a 7x57 and if I ever get to Africa again, I hope to bring them with me.
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/23/17
I'm a Ruger fan and own several. When I was looking for a 9.3, Ruger African's were hard to find. In finally settled on a CZ 550 American with a beefy Kevlar B&C stock. The rifle is well balanced and love this rifle, including the set trigger. That said, I'm sure I would be equally satisfied with the Ruger.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/23/17
This would be my choice.

Have a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

donsm70

That rear sight didn't give you much wiggle room with that big Leica.

That gun does look familiar... grin

I heard it was a tack driver.

DF
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/24/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
This would be my choice.

Have a look.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

donsm70

That rear sight didn't give you much wiggle room with that big Leica.

That gun does look familiar... grin

I heard it was a tack driver.

DF

DF; It was just enough and it should look familiar to you and it is a tack driver. smile

Thanks. donsm70
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3X62mm Rifle Choices - 02/24/17
I love your African animal skin rug.

Those guys did a jam up good job with that.

DF
© 24hourcampfire