Home
Posted By: Brother_Bill Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Looks like we'll likely be making a move for a few years. I'll be commuting to Orla each day.

Insights into the area welcome....

cheers.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Checkout the caves
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Check out Queen NM its in the Lincoln national forest also.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Stayed there a few times working in the oilfield it was boring for me.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Well, besides the caverns, there a drive-in movie theater - so there's that.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
Looks like we'll likely be making a move for a few years. I'll be commuting to Orla each day.

cheers.

get a spotlight mule deer around there... lol, Pecos river, there is a park in town the river runs through. remember an old gas station mechanic shop on the southside of town that had a rust-free dodge demon chassis for sale. There's a fire member that lives there Pm special K
There's also Antelope in the area (Pronghorn).
Posted By: GregW Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Carlsbad? Tell me you've seen it prior to move?

Prayers...grin.....
Posted By: antlers Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Guadalupe Mountains...love hikin’ and climbin’ there.

Plus, there are some Allsup's Convenience Stores in Carlsbad, and they have really good ice for their self-serve fountain drinks.

😎
Posted By: Brazos Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Check out the governor, then move south or east a few miles into Texas.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
You might think the drive from Carlsbad to Orla will be great, but it may disappoint (to say the least) you.

It's a long drive, which ain't bad at all---as long as there's no BS along the way. In days gone by it was a long, lonesome stretch of highway much to my liking but it's not like that anymore. There is a lot of construction and other BS going on along that route lately.

Now...it may have everything in the world to do with oil, and fracking, and stuff like that, and I suppose it does...but if there's no oil exploration and drilling happening, why would anyone even be in a position of needing to commute from Carlsbad to Orla?? I suggest that there IS NO other reason, and that means the drive will only get worse over time.

I suggest that you take a week or so to see for yourself. Make the drive every morning for three or four days at least to see if it meets your expectations.

I can promise you that you do NOT want to have to commute from Orla to Pecos these days. Try that once and form your own opinion.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20

cheers.

"Too far from God, and too close to Texas" -Porfirio Diaz
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20

Ed, To many letters lives in Carlsbad, he can't wait to get out of there.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
I moved to NM in 2016 to retire. I‘m now seriously starting to think about getting myself out of here. It’s a blue state with blue politics. You might want to reconsider. At the very least look hard and make sure it’s where you want to be before making the leap.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by antlers
Guadalupe Mountains...love hikin’ and climbin’ there.

😎

+1
Posted By: deflave Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Schit hole.
Posted By: GregW Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by deflave
Schit hole.

I tried to say it a bit nicer....grin....
Originally Posted by deflave
Schit hole.

Definitely. The only reason I would even consider moving there would be an extremely high-paying job. Not to mention all the f*ckin' commies there.
Posted By: ribka Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Not as nice as Artesia but never the less very nice upscale living .
well, the cost of living is cheap.
Posted By: KC Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20

You poor man. New Mexico is as blue as they come.

There are some pretty places in the mountains west of Carlsbad; hiking, camping, backpacking and mule deer and speed goat hunting. You can visit them all in a few months.

Buy some cheap land around Orla. Pull a trailer onto the land and open a brothel. You will make more money and avoid the commute.

cheers.

the good news is...child support enforcement is very lax in NM.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by Sycamore

cheers.

That would be the other brother's concern...
wink
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by High_Noon
well, the cost of living is cheap.

It may be getting cheaper... but, the oil boom in that area drove RV spaces up to the neighborhood of $700 bucks a month, or so.

Housing was nonexistent and expensive.

But with all the layoffs, it may be getting real again.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20

Brantley lake is close by. There is some dove, quail, and waterfowl hunting in the area too.

I'd trade Austin for Carlsbad.

The Guadalupe Mountains are pretty cool too.

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Hey! Ive been on that trail! Great photo
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Cool and thanks!

But did you have a 60lb pack with 3 days worth of water on your back? I think my knee problems started on that trail.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Cool and thanks!

But did you have a 60lb pack with 3 days worth of water on your back? I think my knee problems started on that trail.

Yeah! I believe my pack was about 40 ish . We weighed em at the trail head. Had about 2 days of water too. That was lastt time my gip ass went hiking in the mountains. Hip, knees, and back finally played out.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Sycamore

cheers.

That would be the other brother's concern...
wink

I get those two confused!
[quote=Whiptail

[/quote]

But would you trade Abbott for Grisham?
Posted By: Txwildman Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Oh boy... A commute from Orla to Carlsbad? You are aware that Hwy 285 is considered death hwy? Traffic is unbelievable. It isn't uncommon to take 20-30 minutes to get through Malaga at certain times. Oil boom has prices high high. Of course that is changing drastically over the past few months. I stayed in Calsbad until hotel prices went to $500 a night for holiday inn, then started staying in Andrews for $150 and driving to the field. Jal stacks up traffic too going that way. They are making some road improvements, but don't drive over the speed limit by 1 mph or you get a huge fine.

There are quail and dove in the area as well as deer. Lots of various terrain . Good luck - bloom where you are planted....
Posted By: specialK Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
I’m here
Originally Posted by Brazos

Tough question. I like the public land and weather of NM(my home state) but I can't stand the politics, crime, economy, and a lot of the people.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Used to be BFE, but as noted the oil boom has taken 285 between Pecos and Malaga by storm.

Carlsbad is nice because of where you can get to. Cloudroft NM at 9,000 feet is only about two hours away, Ruidoso is three. Red Bluff Lake has good fishing as long as you don't mind fishing in Mordor smile

IIRC surprisingly hard to hunt big game in New Mexico, lots of public land but on a drawn hunt system.

New Mexico may be Blue but as usually happens, my longtime friends there are rural and Red State as all get out.

I always found the people to be exceptionally friendly but I will say old time New Mexico Hispanics can be hostile to outsiders.

I believe there is a surprising amount of welfare/poverty/drug type crime along the Roswell/Artesia/Carlsbad corridor too.
Originally Posted by Brazos

Tough question. I like the public land and weather of NM(my home state) but I can't stand the politics, crime, economy, and a lot of the people.

I agree. I love NM, just hate to see the direction it is going (has gone) politically.
Posted By: Brother_Bill Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/20/20
Thanks all.

It is O&G related work that is taking us there.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Carlsbad NM anyone? - 06/21/20
New Mexico will always be for me the Land of Enchantment.

I spent seven months there essentially living out of my car and doing day labor forty years ago while applying to get into the Peace Corps. , First time for me even close to "Out West", absolutely knocked me out how beautiful the place was and how open and friendly the people were, I still have friends there from back then I go see regularly.

© 24hourcampfire