Home
I have my IFAK still from Iraq, 2010 era.

Quickclot is still in a vacuum sealed bag and in the sealed original foil pouch.

Expire date says 2103.

Really?
Represent a substantial outlay of capital for you?
Maybe the date was transposed. 2013? They are the low bidder.
This should be posted on the “what are you doing to prep for Nov. 4th”
Thread!
I used some 2006 vintage (from my IFAK) a few months back when a gerber hatchet caught the web of my hand. Stuff was still a GO.
Also, you’re not supposed to administer first aid to them after you’ve shot them David!
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Jim, believe it or not, they're actually not cheap these days. I just bought 6 on ebay spread over 3 orders of 2x several months ago.

Quick Clot Combat Gauze
Total: $52.23 (for 2)
Seller: armysurpluslexky
Still have a few from Response team days too...I wouldn't worry...Better than nothing I guess
5 years. I used to buy cases of the battlepak kits for ever field person in our company. They cost us $45 each at that time and possibly saved one life. Worth every penny. When I first ordered them, the company that deals them told me ours was the first civilian order he had ever seen. Will they last longer? Probably.
Try it out, and see.
Is it impregnated gauze?
Or granular chemical?
Zeolite (the active ingredient) is basically clay.

So it probably has the shelf life of kitty litter or Oil-Dri.

Basically its all the same stuff.
If you need Quik Clot you would probably want it to be current and would not be worried about the price. Kind of like fire extinguishers and smoke alarms and the ammo in your Glock.

If you dont EDC a Glock you will be fine w/ the old stuffgrin

mike r
If you need Quik Clot you would probably want it to be current and would not be worried about the price. Kind of like fire extinguishers and smoke alarms and the ammo in your Glock.

If you dont EDC a Glock you will be fine w/ the old stuffgrin

mike r
That was so pithy it was worth repeating.

mike r
This is not totally responsive to the question, but it may be useful. At a recent Stop the Bleed class, I asked the instructor (ER Nurse) about using "expired" Quick Clot. The response was to not discard it. She said that, while the effectiveness may go down over time, it does no harm to use it like any other packing gauze, and any residual effectiveness may be beneficial.

The video linked above seems to say the same thing. Buy a new one every now and then, but save the expired stuff.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Also, you’re not supposed to administer first aid to them after you’ve shot them David!

Don't bring your muzzle loader jack, it is plugged or will be again in short order..................LOL
I treat Quick Clot the same way as I do my aerial marine flares......replace when expired but keep for backup use. I’ve never felt like I had too much first aid gear when dealing with a serious trauma.
I think "back-ups" need to be as reliable as the main supply, otherwise what's the point?
Jim,

Not about expense, its about not throwing out stuff that still works.

Aces,

I'll get some of the QuickClot gauze tomorrow, because I heard it is easier to administer, and the wound is easier for the medics/docs to repair.

I'll keep the expired stuff for just in case.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I treat Quick Clot the same way as I do my aerial marine flares......replace when expired but keep for backup use. I’ve never felt like I had too much first aid gear when dealing with a serious trauma.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
That was so pithy it was worth repeating.

mike r

I hope you're not developing a lisp? grin
History
QuikClot was originally available as a granulate to be poured directly on a wound to stem bleeding. It absorbed the water in the blood, thus increasing its already present clotting capabilities, while also activating platelets. Later it was formulated using zeolite beads, which promoted clotting directly through activation of the coagulation cascade. One formulation is a kaolin-coated gauze which works directly to promote blood clotting by activating factor XII of the coagulation cascade.[1] Currently, QuikClot products are produced using kaolin formulations.

Zeolite
The original formulation of the first generation product contained the active ingredient zeolite, which promoted blood clotting. The zeolite reaction with blood was exothermic, releasing heat during the clotting process, which could cause second degree burns.[2] Because of this, the product was not available for retail and was only used in emergency scenarios, such as in combat. Newer zeolite formulas come pre-hydrated, which produce less heat, and can be used more safely to pack wounds and stop hemorrhage.

Kaolin
As of 2012 QuikClot devices are impregnated with kaolin, an inorganic mineral that accelerates the body's natural clotting ability, and produces no exothermic reaction. The product consists of a non-woven gauze coated in kaolin which can be applied to the region of trauma to promote clotting without an exothermic reaction. Originally sold as QuikClot Combat Gauze, the product now has a variety of packaging options available for military, law enforcement, emergency medical responders public access and hospital use. Consumer versions of the product, which use kaolin formulation, are also available at a variety of retailers.
I mean its worth a shot....
No experience with the stuff.

A farmer, redneck with an ag degree, amateur vet buddy told me he uses
black pepper. The finer, the better. On his family and animals.
Warned that it 'stings some".

Home alone one day i slashed a finger pretty deep and couldn't stop the leak.
ER copay sucks, and I didn't want the wait so...

Jimmy was right, it stopped right quick.
And, I was sucking wind and gritting my teeth for a minute or so.
It burns about as bad as you might imagine!
Black pepper was used as a substitute for Stop-Leak in more than one radiator that I know of.

When the auto parts stores are close, one can usually find a can or two of pepper at a convenience store.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
History
QuikClot was originally available as a granulate to be poured directly on a wound to stem bleeding. It absorbed the water in the blood, thus increasing its already present clotting capabilities, while also activating platelets. Later it was formulated using zeolite beads, which promoted clotting directly through activation of the coagulation cascade. One formulation is a kaolin-coated gauze which works directly to promote blood clotting by activating factor XII of the coagulation cascade.[1] Currently, QuikClot products are produced using kaolin formulations.

Zeolite
The original formulation of the first generation product contained the active ingredient zeolite, which promoted blood clotting. The zeolite reaction with blood was exothermic, releasing heat during the clotting process, which could cause second degree burns.[2] Because of this, the product was not available for retail and was only used in emergency scenarios, such as in combat. Newer zeolite formulas come pre-hydrated, which produce less heat, and can be used more safely to pack wounds and stop hemorrhage.

Kaolin
As of 2012 QuikClot devices are impregnated with kaolin, an inorganic mineral that accelerates the body's natural clotting ability, and produces no exothermic reaction. The product consists of a non-woven gauze coated in kaolin which can be applied to the region of trauma to promote clotting without an exothermic reaction. Originally sold as QuikClot Combat Gauze, the product now has a variety of packaging options available for military, law enforcement, emergency medical responders public access and hospital use. Consumer versions of the product, which use kaolin formulation, are also available at a variety of retailers.

Zeolite = aluminosilicate minerals.

Kaolin = a type of clay

Keep then sealed and dry and they'll last long after we're all dead and gone.
If I thought I was gonna need it....I would have fresh stuff.
Kaolin Clay is one of the main ingredients of most clotting agents on the market.

Kaolin Clay, mixed with a heavy dose of cayenne, (70/30) is a HIGHLY effective quick clot recipe. It is easily purchased on Amazon.

The cayenne has disinfecting and numbing qualities (after the initial 3 second burn LOL). Yarrow powder, stinging nettle powder, cinnamon powder, and tumeric powder all all great additions to the Kaolin Clay and cayenne mix - all have hemostatic, numbing, and/or anti-bacterial or anti-fungal properties.

All of my first aid kits have a large vacuum sealed package of this mix. Compressed with gauze, it would literally stop a sucking chest wound.
And, homemade, it is DIRT CHEAP compared to the pre-packaged rip-off brands.
Uhhh....a sucking chest wound?

Why not use an occlusive dressing with a check valve or lift up one corner of the dressing to equalize?

Eh?

Why not use an occlusive dressing with a check valve or lift up one corner of the dressing to equalize?

Eh?

Don't be deliberately obtuse as always.

You understood my point.

Eh?

Hyfin Vent Chest Seal
No I dont understand your point.

The idea with a sucking chest would is to seal the cavity....but not permanently. Especially in the case if a pneumothorax.

If your point was to use "sucking chest wound" for dramatic effect.....I guess okay. It was dramatic.

Still....a simple occlusive bandage will treat a sucking chest wound nicely. No need for all that other schit.
I would argue that it never expires.

Eh?

Listen man I asked you to assemble the Waylon Jennings cover band.. What’s the status? Have your first gig lined up at Four aces bar and lounge in Hardin, Mt followed by a gig at Trailhead Saloon in East Glacier Park, Mt.
Cute.

No I dont understand your point.

My point was a cheap, highly effective homemade quick-clot solution.

You latched onto a hyperbolic example I tossed out to make my point, just for the sake of argument and to troll.

Any thoughts on my highly effective homemade quick-clot solution?

(I am guessing not.)
Hahaha!

No. I dont give a schit about some home recipe you made up between Oprah episodes.

I do give a [bleep] about telling people that you should use some cayenne pepper kitty litter schit on a particular type of would. Especially when its use would be almost certainly harmful.

You remember the whole Do No Harm tidbit?
You two at it again?

I think I'll just sit back and watch (read??)
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Hahaha!

No. I dont give a schit about some home recipe you made up between Oprah episodes.

I do give a [bleep] about telling people that you should use some cayenne pepper kitty litter schit on a particular type of would. Especially when its use would be almost certainly harmful.

Well, Native Americans have used variants of this recipe for, oh, a thousand years.

I have used it more than once, very successfully.

You seem to be extremely negative and hateful tonight....

What's the deal?
250 million year old Jurassic era sea salt expires 06/20/2022.
Originally Posted by duck911
Hahaha!

Well, Native Americans have used variants of this recipe for, oh, a thousand years.

What's the deal?

Duck gonna pretend to be a first responder now.

LOL

Just STFU you stupid kghunt.
I am an EMT, you dipchit.
I watched a Bruce lee movie..
Originally Posted by AKduck

AKduck,

Pretty stupid, eh? I've wondered about those on salt, but just to be technical about it, I think it just says "Best By".....

No doubt either a "fit in with the crowd thing" since everyone has a date on their product, or perhaps legally required now for edible stuff.

I had a friend a number of years ago that worked in the vitamin industry, stocking store shelves with a well known brand of vitamins and supplements. Stopped by her house one day and she had a big box of stuff in the front room, asked me did I need anything. I asked what's up, she told me "expired", then said the company tested them and they usually still were at 95-99% levels, but consumers demanded a date on the package. I mean, if you get a 1000mg pill of Vitamin C that's lost 5%, you still have 950mg. I didn't think my body would notice so I stocked up.
Originally Posted by 79S

While staying in a Holiday Inn Express?

With what department?

What shift are you working this week?
Originally Posted by 79S

All the EMT's I know use home remedy quick clot when out on calls.

LOL

What a fugkin' moron.
Hahaha!

What's the deal?

Your relentless determination to regale us with your ability to schit and fall back in it is impressive.
You can also use fry bread as a pressure bandage.....

You would not use some fugging cayenne litter box poultice on a sucking chest wound.
I only use kitty litter on 223 sucking chest wounds..... while eating fry bread..... wink
That dumbduckofdeath911 is a genius.....
#hero
You can also use fry bread as a pressure bandage.....

You would not use some fugging cayenne litter box poultice on a sucking chest wound.

Damn cuzzin,

don't be wastin' no good fry bread. Two day old stuff maybe. But not fresh.

I'd be savin' that for eatin'. Maybe gather up some moss from the side of the trees or some mullein leaves from the bar ditch, but I'd be hard pressed to waste good food.

Be awfully messy if it was one of them Indian tacos too. The ones I like with honey might have some antiseptic properties though, so you may be on to something. Grab some of that powdered sugar stuff too.
The Duck of Dumb pours Quick Clot into sucking chest wounds.

LOL

Too bad he doesn’t know what a sucking chest wound is.
Originally Posted by deflave
I would argue that it never expires.

Punny!
Hahaha!

What's the deal?

Just watch the sheep video, it will become clear why Jim is frustrated

LOL

Think he puts his wiener in there?
Originally Posted by AKduck

LOL. Maybe 250 million years is the shelf life. We have some McCormick branded Himalayan salt that expires 01/22. I'd better check the kitty litter.
Kaolin clay is a main ingredient in Kaopectate. You could probably pack the bandage up your ass in the event you get diarrhea and have no Kaopectate to take in the conventional manner.
Originally Posted by David_Walter
How long is quickclot really good for?

Life.
Originally Posted by Rooster7

LOL

Think he puts his wiener in there?

LMAO
I learn something new every day. FWIW:

Homemade QuickClot

About QuickClot

The clay part probably does have an indefinite shelf life. The other proprietary stuff may not.

Sound like a schitty one if you're on a forum suggesting someone put spicy play doh in a sucking chest wound...

BS!

It looks great in court.
The Quickclot need to be tested every 7 years, Just asked your wife for help with the test.
What Ringworm said.

Originally Posted by ringworm

BS!

It looks great in court.
© 24hourcampfire