Home
After a marathon binge on Xmas bourbon donated by multiple salesman, suppliers, customers, subcontractors etc...
And damn near $500 worth of fire water consumed in the last 10 days, my impressions:

Bow and Blade - paint thinner
Bib and Tucker - despite the reviews, very drinkable
Makers - coleman fuel might actually taste better than this garbage
Woodfords - wish I could drink it every day. One of my favorites.
Jim Beam - Rather just pay for my own bourbon and drink Beam. Lots of it.
Evan 1873 - it was free so WTF

I had a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 from the mid-70s (based on the label) that my brother in law found at an Estate sale and it was wonderful. That's one I loved and lost. I had Bib and Tucker and agree. For Dickel juice, it was pretty decent.
$500? You're posting this from intensive care aren't you.
Woodford I was crazy about them a few years ago l guess my tastebuds changed and it has an aftertaste to me. Maker's I couldn't do and now I can. 101 and Beam are my bread and butter, love Black label Beam.

Just a simple guy l suppose.

KC
Other than the usual I was gifted ;

Jefferson's small batch - it was very smooth

Blue Note 9 year old - kind of like Old Forrester good .

Huling Station straight bourbon - its got that 100 proof kick .
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
$500? You're posting this from intensive care aren't you.

Keeps the 'rona away
I have been sipping $38 1.75's of Weller Special Reserve of late. I think I have 5 bottles. It's good stuff.
My absolute favorite is Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.
Blanton's is my favorite. Last few years I manage to find a couple of bottles a year. Four Roses single barrel is good stuff you can usually find. Woodford's is a standard around here.
Knob Creek, Wild Turkey Rare Breed......Bookers on special occasions. Still very hard to walk by Evan Williams and not grab a bottle.
We like Jack!
AH Hirsch 20yo, got one bottle left in the stash, when it's gone, it's gone forever. Far and away the best bourbon I've had and I've had a bunch.
Cracked one of my bottles of Blantons on Christmas eve. Was reminded how overrated it is. Folks call it smooth, but any whiskey watered down that much is going to be smooth.

Wild Turkey101 is a highly underrated bourbon. WT Rare Breed is one of my new favorites.

One that is gone is the old $18 bottles of Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond. Several years back, they decided to age it a little longer and put it in fancy decanters. The plane old bottle was pretty darn good, and was available anywhere. I did find one of the old bottles last year, but they wanted $300 for it. Might as well buy the fancy decanter one for that much.

Currently on a Willet binge.
Originally Posted by antlers
My absolute favorite is Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve.

Fantastic bourbon, and if you can find store pics that are aged longer, all the better. I have one that was aged 15 years, and another aged 13.5 years.
WT101 is one of my favorites.
I was scouring an old time gun store for dies and bullets, and saw this up on the shelf.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Added to my collection of Weller's miniatures.
Was given:
Jefferson's small batch-Rye Collaboration
G Dickel #12
Evan 1873
Just about finished with the Evan, have had a sip or two of the Jefferson's and haven't cracked the Dickel.

I went back to my roots with Dickel this fall and am realizing why I drank so much of it as a yute.
Bookers!
Originally Posted by scoony
Cracked one of my bottles of Blantons on Christmas eve. Was reminded how overrated it is. Folks call it smooth, but any whiskey watered down that much is going to be smooth.

Wild Turkey101 is a highly underrated bourbon. WT Rare Breed is one of my new favorites.

One that is gone is the old $18 bottles of Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond. Several years back, they decided to age it a little longer and put it in fancy decanters. The plane old bottle was pretty darn good, and was available anywhere. I did find one of the old bottles last year, but they wanted $300 for it. Might as well buy the fancy decanter one for that much.

Agreed on Blanton's. One of the most overrated bourbons by the nouveau bourbon drinkers.
Those ragging on Blanton's: How many bottles have you tried over the last 20+ years?
I was scouring an old time gun store for dies and bullets, and saw this up on the shelf.

Added to my collection of Weller's miniatures.

A couple bottles of that and some Weller 12 and you're set.
I very much like Blantons. It’s gotten to be expensive and I’m not going to scour heaven and earth for it tho. A few Costco’s around here have four roses single batch select for $50, and I buy a bottle every time I can.
But even that price is special occasion type of stuff for me as I’m a budget conscious drinker. For the price Jim beam is my go to.
Buffalo Trace is the most overrated one I always read praise for
I'm a fan of Michter's, to which I was introduced when it was still distilled in Pennsylvania a long, long time ago. I also like Jeffersons and Woodford Reserve. But Michter's is my favorite.
Has anyone tried Jack Daniels Frank Sinatra bourbon? Costco had it before Xmas and I couldn’t get any. A buddy of mine said it was real smooth.
The old Makers Mark gold wax 101 proof from the early 90s is the one I can think of that I miss. That, and Ancient Ancient Age 10 year.

The best cheap bourbon on the shelf that is still around, as far as I know: Very Old Barton Bottled in Bond. Getcha some.
Blanton's. I remember seeing Blanton's on the shelf but never bought a bottle. I found it at a local bar and tried it. It's wonderful. Can't find it anywhere now.

One's I can find:
Angel's Envy, especially since my local drugstore has it on sale occasionally at $38.
Jefferson's Reserve. The regular is pretty drinkable too.
Four Roses Single Barrel. I keep buying it and the bottles keep getting empty.
I gave a bottle of Stagg Jr to one of my best friends on the occasion of killing his first bull elk this fall. I haven't been able to replace it and its concerning me...likewise the Blanton's dried up around here. I got a bottle of Woodford for Christmas and I thought it was super good. I have Christmas bottles of Maker's, Elijah Craig, Larceny and TinCup to get started on while I line up my targets.

The liquor store I frequent (!) got 15 allocated bottles prior to Christmas. The owner told me rather than put them on the shelf, he's having an invitation only party for some of us who are good customers at which we'll be put in a drawing for the chance to purchase at MSRP. Said he's got three Pappy's, two George T Stagg, etc. Looking forward to that. Sounds like each guy drawn will get to pick from the pile and then pay the 99 or 119 or whatever. Hope I get to pick!
I have a Four Roses SB and totally agree that its good stuff. I differ with people on the Jefferson's. I feel like its 2x the cost of Buffalo Trace and half as good.
I wish I could find Weller 107.

My favorite that I can actually find is Old Forrester 1920.

405wcf
We haven't had any Weller on the shelves here in more than a year.
I can sporadically find Weller 107 and keep a bottle or 2 ahead of the game. My favorite for sure. Weller 12 year must be a myth. Blantons is good and readily available here. Will trade Blanton for Weller 12 year just to taste it.. Buffalo Trace is my fall back.
1792 if you can find it........
1792 is always available here. I had a barrel proof which started out way too hot for me, but after a couple of months, I went back to it and wow was it good stuff then.
The bourbon I got this year for Christmas is Hillrock Estate Solera Bourbon finished in Pinot Noir wine casks. I believe they are around $100 for a 750 ml here. It's a farm to still craft distiller here in NY that was one of Dave Pickerell's last craft projects. As expected it has some fruity, grape notes along with the traditional vanilla/caramel/oaky notes of bourbon. It's a tasty, quality bourbon.
Bought this late summer, not sure what to expect;

It did not suck !

grin
Not much of a drinker anymore but I miss Old Charter 12 year old. That's what I was raised up on , not sure if it was good or not but sure drank a lot of it. Evan Williams is good now, good enough anyway for cost vs taste .
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6
Not much of a drinker anymore but I miss Old Charter 12 year old. That's what I was raised up on , not sure if it was good or not but sure drank a lot of it. Evan Williams is good now, good enough anyway for cost vs taste .

Do you mean the Classic 90?

Before the boom Old Charter and Ancient Age had extra aged versions that were quite nice.

Originally Posted by mathman

[Linked Image from bourbonenthusiast.com] [Linked Image from decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfront.net] [Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]
My dad liked Ancient Age, which was about the only bourbon he bought. Liked Wild Turkey too, but Ancient Age was cheaper, so close enough. I kept the last bottle he had, when he died in 1995. Took a snort on his Bday and Veteran's Day, until it was all. Probably lasted ten years, don't remember?

Don't know if Ancient Age is still made or not, no longer available in PA's BS state liquor stores. At least the one near me?

Dad used to fetch a bottle or two of Rebel Yell (?) sour mash home from FL, back in the 90s. Now that's available up here. I liked Jack Daniels better.

I don't drink much these days, but keep a bottle of Jim Beam at the cabin and at home, fer snake bites and sech. Stopped at the State Store last year in the little burg nearest the cabin, got a pint of JB. Old fugger behind me at the register, piped up that a pint wouldn't last him 'til he got outta town.
Ancient Age is still out there, but not the one I showed.

It's in all of the Virginia ABC's along with Ancient Ancient in most.
Not many I don’t like, this stuff is perty good and readily available
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by Raeford

It's in all of the Virginia ABC's along with Ancient Ancient in most.

Ancient Ancient as in the 10 year old, or the Ten Star? The ten year has been gone for a good while. Maybe they're selling old stock Ten Star. Neither are shown on the distiller's website.
Originally Posted by POKERFACE6

Do you mean the Classic 90?

Before the boom Old Charter and Ancient Age had extra aged versions that were quite nice.

[Linked Image from bourbonenthusiast.com] [Linked Image from decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfront.net] [Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Yes I think it was the classic 90 proof, I had forgot about that 13 year old stuff. That was some good stuff also.

Joe
Those ragging on Blanton's: How many bottles have you tried over the last 20+ years?

Have one opened and one bunkered at the moment and a couple empties waiting to be turned into candles. I have been slacking on my bourbon hunting this past year, but I can pick up a bottle at the Walmart across the street when they get it in every few months and at retail. I could also drive a little over an hour to the distillery during the week and get a bottle, but I would grab a E.H. Taylor first. I only bring the Blanton's out for friends so they can try it and see or themselves if there is anything to the fuss. I much prefer higher proof bourbons, such as Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Stagg Jr, Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, and Bookers. There are quite a few other lower proof bourbons that I would pick over Blanton's. For those that can't find Blanton's, look for Hancock Reserve. It is the same mashbill, and aged about the same, just doesn't have the fancy bottle with a jockey on a horse.
Originally Posted by Judman
Not many I don’t like, this stuff is perty good and readily available

Son gave me a bottle of that for Christmas. I haven't tapped into it yet. Still working on the WT Rare Breed.
My f-i-l had a dusty bottle of Hirsch in the back of his liquor cabinet for years. 7-8 years ago, he pulled it out and poured us a few fingers. Smooth like butter. We polished it off over the course of a week while on vacation. Never really gave it a second thought until he tried to get another bottle. Seems that original bottle was the 16YO stuff and to replace it was 4 figures. Ouch. But it was sooooo good.

The loss in my bourbon life was a number of years ago when an unopened bottle of Basil came crashing to the floor from one of my son's errant football passes inside the house. I'll let you know when he's not grounded anymore.
Weller Antique is my favorite although never see it here. Seems Ohio gets it all.
For a budget drinker it’s hard to beat Very Old Barton 100.
Champion used to be the cheap gem...the one I miss.

1) Makers Mark - standard daily whisky
2) Makers 46 - my call if I can have anything
3) Wild Turkey rare breed - OK
4) Woodfords - OK
5) Four Roses - OK
6) Crown Royal Black (I know it ain't bourbon) - if I can't get Makers
I live right in the heart of bourbon country. Around the end of the month is when Buffalo Trace ships our the Blantons, Wellers and such so if you know what day the truck hits your local store you can find it but it wont last long. Before covid people would line up in front of the liquor store 3 or 4 o clock to get some. I like Eagle Rare every bit as much as Blantons. Weller is good. For my money anything from Four Roses is good small batch select is my fave. Dont care for anything from Jim Beam. Try Coopers Craft, Elijah Craig, or Russels. Always trying something new!
Stopped at the nearest state liquor store on the way home from the bank, earlier. Asked the clerk if PA still stocks Ancient Age bourbon, because I haven't seen any in years. He had to look it up on the store's computer.

Told me it's only available here for sale in PA, to licensed establishments, not in their liquor stores. WTF is that?
Don't worry too much, the Ancient Age out there today isn't worth it.
I agree with most of the above.......But?
Blantons ?
Yeah, I'll suffer through a few bottles any time and damn near any place.
Love it!

Couldn't agree more. I also like Rye Whiskey and Rare Breed Rye is a favorite.
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Blantons ?
Love it!

Yeah, yuppie bourbon.
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I wish I could find Weller 107.

405wcf

You have good taste my friend.
Originally Posted by MichieD
Blantons ?
Love it!

Yeah, yuppie bourbon.

When did you first try it?
Nobody mentioned the bottom shelf wonder that is Evan Bottled in Bond? I like Evan single barrel vintage too.
The store in town quit carrying Jim Beam Rye.

I liked it.
Blantons ?
Love it!

Yeah, yuppie bourbon.

When did you first try it?

Early 2000's
Pre-Beam. Actually was my Grandad's. Won't lose it though.

There were still some might fine bottles out there then. Being single barrel bottlings they can and do vary. I've had five open at one time where IIRC two were stellar, one was close, and the other two weren't that special.
OGD BIB 100 is good.

Little sweeter than WT.

I prefer WT.
I've had several bottles of Blanton and it's not bad, pretty decent actually but - - - - - it's nothing special. Certainly not worth the $ and effort some will go to for it. If it was readily available for $40, I might be tempted to pick some up in the future. When one can readily find a tasty and available barrel strength whiskey like Rare Breed for $45, why hunt for something that's less for more $? My issue with it is that it a good but not a great or special bourbon.
Bird dog ain't bad
Mistakenly grabbed a bottle of the honey version once.
Luckily they let me return it opened...
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I've had several bottles of Blanton and it's not bad, pretty decent actually but - - - - - it's nothing special. Certainly not worth the $ and effort some will go to for it. If it was readily available for $40, I might be tempted to pick some up in the future. When one can readily find a tasty and available barrel strength whiskey like Rare Breed for $45, why hunt for something that's less for more $? My issue with it is that it a good but not a great or special bourbon.

I enjoyed Rock Hill Farms before it went unobtanium.
There were still some might fine bottles out there then. Being single barrel bottlings they can and do vary. I've had five open at one time where IIRC two were stellar, one was close, and the other two weren't that special.

Understood. But after several 'uh' bottles, one tends to pass them by. It seems to be the flavor of the day and it ain't all that from the bottles I've had.

I'll take Bookers everyday and twice on Sunday of Blandtons and it's selling for far less.
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I have a Four Roses SB and totally agree that its good stuff. I differ with people on the Jefferson's. I feel like its 2x the cost of Buffalo Trace and half as good.

This. FRSB is great stuff
Willet Family Estate Rye, 4 year
Michters Straight Rye
Johnny Drum
Knob Creek 12 and 15 year
Evan Williams single barrel is probably one of the smoothest and best buys out there at $27 a bottle
I'd like to try Rittenhouse Rye, but can't find it locally.
One bourbon that I had high hopes for that I got last year was Four Roses Small Batch Select. I like their Single Barrel and even their regular Small Batch but the Select was a huge disappointment. That's a one and done and not a loved and lost.

See a lot of good ones listed. Here's one that I didn't see--Russell Reserve 10 year. I like it quite a bit.

RR 10 year is quite good. RR Single Barrel is usually better.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Pre-Beam. Actually was my Grandad's. Won't lose it though.

Old Grandad 114 is a cut above and a great value bourbon.
I’m pretty sure the one in the middle is not “bottled in bond”
But is definitely single barrel.
I'd like to try Rittenhouse Rye, but can't find it locally.

You won't be disappointed. It's readily available here and often finds it's way into my cabinet. It's a barely legal rye (51% rye in the mashbill) and is very similar to a bourbon. It's also a great value in the $20 range. If you can find it's older (and better tasting) brother Pikesville Rye, you'll get an idea of what you are missing. I really enjoy the rye expressions with their varied mashbills (from 51% rye to 95% rye) and all the different tasting notes that they bring to the palate; spices like pepper & baking spices to citrus and mint.
I miss Old Charter 10 and 12
Originally Posted by EdM
I have been sipping $38 1.75's of Weller Special Reserve of late. I think I have 5 bottles. It's good stuff.

I've got three 750's of WSR but getting too expensive because of it's popularity. It used to be my secret bourbon. Try Old Tub. 100 proof, Bottled in Bond and less than $20. My go-to now is Knob Creek 9yr for $25.
Another goodun
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]upload pictures
And another
And another

Not sure how you beat it at the price point Jud.
Truth.. even the black label
I miss Old Pogue and I haven't seen Johnny Drum since the big store around had a closeout ($10 a bottle, bought the last few) around 10 years ago. I see Weller around a lot more than some of you guys do, but never Fitzy or some of the others.
One absolutely terrific bourbon I'll never see again was a very early release of Parkers Heritage. Might have been the very first release. That, and the Jefferson's Presidential that was really Pappy 18 were the two best whiskies I've ever had.
The biggest dissapointment for me though is knowing how good Eagle Rare 10 used to be. And at $40 for a handle...
It still has the same taste, but the richness and general feel have taken a hit.
I hope it recovers someday. Best affordable whiskey I've ever had.

The original, 12 year old Elijah Craig was always good too. Gave one to a buddy this year, and he immediately stashed it. And he's a drinker not a stasher.
And another

I'd tried just about everything else from Evan Williams, and cared for NONE of it. For $15.99, I rolled the dice on their BIB, and it's a whole 'nother ball game. I don't know what else can touch it at < $20.

One bourbon that I had high hopes for that I got last year was Four Roses Small Batch Select. I like their Single Barrel and even their regular Small Batch but the Select was a huge disappointment. That's a one and done and not a loved and lost.

Same here. I've not had a Four Roses product that I could abide, much less, "like". The SB Select was supposed to be wonderful, and I just can't make it work for me. Water hasn't helped, air/time in the bottle hasn't helped. It's a favorite of my buddy's, though, so I'll try to swap him for something palatable.

Originally Posted by 405wcf

You have good taste my friend.

Trey Monsour introduced me to 1920 @ one of the 24HCF hog hunts. It does not suck. Not even a tiny bit. Still, it can't be rushed: I gotta take my time with each splash of it.

Originally Posted by Ella
See a lot of good ones listed. Here's one that I didn't see--Russell Reserve 10 year. I like it quite a bit.

I could be happy with the Russell's 10 from here on out, I think. They've got it @ $31.99 locally, and it's a tossup whether I like it straight-up vs. Rare Breed. Rare Breed is a touch smoother, but I just really love all the flavors & "happenings" with the Russell's 10. Given Rare Breed is another $15, Russell's wins most times. I do still keep some Rare Breed on hand, though. wink

I'd originally taken this to be a, "what can't you find anymore?" thread. Seeing as how it's mostly been a, "what we like" thread, I'll throw out Old Forester 86, and 100 Signature. At $18.99 and $20.99, respectively, I think they bring a lot of flavor and smoothness for the price.

Also, thought I'm anything but an Elijah Craig fan, I tried the Toasted Barrel product, and quickly ran back to buy their last remaining bottle. There's much to like in that bottle.

FC
Another vote for 1792.
© 24hourcampfire