Home
Posted By: Irving_D Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/08/21
Its getting harder and harder finding anything worthwhile to watch on tv or online. I've started watching a few hunting shows the one I really like now is The hunting public a bunch of ordinary kids who mostly focus on hunting public lands. They don't always shoot a deer, they aren't jamming gear down your throat, they focus a lot on strategy and also focus a lot of footage on tracking wounded deer. I really enjoy the show and it can be found on Amazon and YouTube. I also like a show called dropped about two brothers getting dropped off in Alaska with only their hunting gear surviving for a month in the backcountry. I'm sure we've all dreamed doing something like this. What else is out there that you enjoy
Dave Carrie Shooting

https://youtu.be/cqnc9a17igo
Older stuff from Leatherwood Outdoors is good.

https://youtu.be/T7qO06VqTyI

Posted By: MAC Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/08/21
Jim Shockey Uncharted is pretty good. He goes places not many other don't and isn't just popping whitetails out of a blind in front of a feeder.
Used to like Randy Newberg’s show and his website.
The Western Hunter is very well done and has some great scenery from public land in the mountain states.
Awesome suggestions
Beyond the hunt if only to look at Julie...
You Tube is your Huckleberry. Good hunts from Marco Polo to coyotes. Modern equipment and editing make for lots of well done videos by regular folks all over the world.

mike r
Solo Hunter with Remi Warren or Tim Burnett. On youtube
The Western Hunter
Ovini Expeditions.

https://youtu.be/YYsA9_maSsI
Billy Molls

https://youtu.be/4v-mO6ks2LY
The Hunting Public for sure. Also Shane Simpson, Dave Owens’ Pinhoti Project, Randy Newburg, The NaturalCalling. Leatherwood Outdoors is okay too. Some of these aren’t real sophisticated, but there’s a lot to learn.

Spomer is good to watch, though not always about hunting. For something different, try capand ball for black powder hunting with genuine antiques and replicas, plus BP target shooting. USOG is a collector with a lot of info on old and newer stuff, very low-key and seems like a really nice guy.

The Hunting Public just did a Walmart Challenge for turkey hunting. $99 Hatfield 12ga and Winchester lead ammo. Thrift-store camo. Less than $150 for a dead turkey, albeit a jake. Good stuff. Those guys are a hoot.
That big-tittied gal that bowhunts is pretty good.
I think back on all of the Bill Jordan and Jackie Bushman hunting shows I watched in the 90’s and it makes me sick to my stomach.
I go through a bunch of the no name people on YouTube. Deer hunts. Coyote hunts. Hog hunts. The ones in Australia are pretty neat. Running trucks or SUV's with moon roofs and the guys standing up through the roof with shotguns. Running cross country with a plane spotting the sounders.
Originally Posted by antlers
I think back on all of the Bill Jordan and Jackie Bushman hunting shows I watched in the 90’s and it makes me sick to my stomach.

Don't forget Roger Ragglin (?)
I do not get many channels on the telly, but I would like to know if anyone has watched America's Most Wanted, with Kristy Lee Cook, her husband Lee Orr and a few others. They are some hard working folks but I know they most certainly push a lot of gear from sponsors. Probably a diva or two on there too, which is fine if they're Hot!
Jim Shockey Uncharted is the only one I'll watch anymore. The ones with the good looking gals are just using sex to sell a show. None of today's honeys can compete with Brenda Valentine.
There aren't many. Hunters in enclosed blinds with face camo, gimme a break. But it sells eh?
I like watching Catman on youtube.
I used to catch an earshot of it here and there while down there at the walmart ma in the core-lokt aisle. They’d have it on constant play mfers in a pup tent, sawing away on a slate call in the video. lol
Originally Posted by BamaSig75

Which catman?

lol

greasy haired blonde kid that drinks sundrop and gut shoots 3 out of every 5 deer?

Or another catman?
They all suck. I’d rather watch the NFL.
I pretty much stick to YouTube hunting videos lately.
Only exception being "Nick's Wild Ride" on cable. Wife and I both enjoy it. Decent and respectful to the locals, and he has a great sense of humor.

"Gun Stories", not really about hunting, but always interesting.

Those are about all I'll watch on cable any more.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Jim Shockey Uncharted is the only one I'll watch anymore. The ones with the good looking gals are just using sex to sell a show. None of today's honeys can compete with Brenda Valentine.

She the one with the Virginia slim voice?

Only huntin shows i watch are Tk and Mike on vhs tapes.
Always liked meat eater. But I hear some people don’t because some political BS?
Originally Posted by slumlord

Which catman?

lol

greasy haired blonde kid that drinks sundrop and gut shoots 3 out of every 5 deer?

Or another catman?

So you watch him too? Cool.

Ill watch Red Moose Hunting now and then.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Which catman?

lol

Or another catman?

So you watch him too? Cool.

He runs a Marlin and not a Ruger ( on tree rats )
Wish he’d made a video of his dumb ass pallet wood tacked together with a fisher price hammer 30ft up in a tree.

Ploy to get someone to donate a stand to him.
Originally Posted by MAC
Jim Shockey Uncharted is pretty good. He goes places not many other don't and isn't just popping whitetails out of a blind in front of a feeder.

Like his Yukon show a lot.
Born and Raised Outdoors , they do a five state 50 day archery elk hunt showing the good , bad and ugly . Pinhoti Project and as you mentioned the Hunting Public. All seem like down to earth guys I could share a hunt or two with.
I
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by MAC

Like his Yukon show a lot.

I have always liked Shockey, but have never seen his show, just snippets of his Yukon hunts. I would have loved to have worked up there in my younger years. I think I read where they pony their horses in 120 miles or some such thing.

Posted By: AML Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/09/21
I've always liked Easton's Hunting Journal. Most of the shows are pretty bad.
The original "Duckmen", if you can find them.
Catman outdoors on YouTube
Ridge life on YouTube isn’t strictly hunting but has a lot of good information.
Western Hunter (as opposed to Western Extreme, which isnt bad itself).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Slumlord we need some Frog Gulag pics now!!!
Are you guys talking about the Banned Catman529 from here on 24hr????
Didnt know he had a you tube channel..

Born To Hunt.

Big bucks are the norm, whether WT or Muley. Real hunts for monster bucks by Cody and his wife, Kelsey.

Ha, turns out the huge dead buck wasnt Sleepy after all, and the hunt for him was back on.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Born To Hunt.

Big bucks are the norm, whether WT or Muley. Real hunts for monster bucks by Cody and his wife, Kelsey.

Ha, turns out the huge dead buck wasnt Sleepy after all, and the hunt for him was back on.

Are they allowed access to properties that are managed for deer like that???
I remember the hunting videos we watched in 80's. Unless you were watching Jim and Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, you had to rent the videos. I was getting into bowhunting at the time and it was Fred Bear, Dan Fitzgerald (at least I think that was his name) and Noel Feather.
Originally Posted by renegade50
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Slumlord we need some Frog Gulag pics now!!!
Are you guys talking about the Banned Catman529 from here on 24hr????
Didnt know he had a you tube channel..

Laffing

Land lord lady gave his charlie brown great pumpkin to some Mexicans that cleaned out the gutters
Originally Posted by Kushtaka
I remember the hunting videos we watched in 80's. Unless you were watching Jim and Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, you had to rent the videos. I was getting into bowhunting at the time and it was Fred Bear, Dan Fitzgerald (at least I think that was his name) and Noel Feather.

Wensels....Bowhunting October Whitetails
Originally Posted by renegade50
Born To Hunt.

Are they allowed access to properties that are managed for deer like that???

Sleepy survived 9 years on public ground. Salk and sneaking and crawl hunting. No baiting.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by Kushtaka

Wensels....Bowhunting October Whitetails

Yep. Arrowing whitetails running through timber.
My first trad kill was a trotter w a Blackwidow.
17 yards
I like the hunting shows with the good looking gals with nice tits.
Jackie Bushman would haul his Polaris quad with Mossy Oak camo in the back of his Chevrolet pickup and drive to deer camp. He’d unload his Polaris quad with Mossy Oak camo at camp and drive it the 400 yards to his stand...wearin’ a Bell helmet with Mossy Oak camo...and cover it up with a Polaris Pursuit Camo field cover. Then he’d shoot a deer with a Thompson/Center Encore with Mossy Oak camo that was eating corn from a Moultrie feeder in front of his stand, load it up on his Polaris quad with Mossy Oak camo, and drive it back the 400 yards to camp and make out what a great hunter he was.
I like "Farming The Wild" it is UK based but the host/hunter is also a game Chef, owning a pair of Michelin starred restaurants in England.

With every hunt you also get a bit of cooking show. He also did a show on butchering.

https://www.farmingthewild.com/
Born To Hunt.

I think he got his start as Shockey’s cameraman years ago. I’ve got a subscription to MOTV and have watched (or tried) to watch many. There’s a few I just can’t stand to keep on but there’s quite a few that beat out the crap on regular tv
shockey,meateater,live2hunt. pig man helicopter hunts are fun to watch

I like these videos myself. Might be a reason to travel to Europe.
Originally Posted by Mike_S

I like these videos myself. Might be a reason to travel to Europe.

I've watched a few of those episodes, the marksmanship is amazing
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Originally Posted by antlers

Don't forget Roger Ragglin (?)

AKA: The Rump Ranger
The first hunting show I remember watching, was way back when we first got satellite TV. Dean Durham, from Georgia, I believe. He was a big believer in the grunt call, that's mostly what I remember.
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Its getting harder and harder finding anything worthwhile to watch on tv or online. I've started watching a few hunting shows the one I really like now is The hunting public a bunch of ordinary kids who mostly focus on hunting public lands. They don't always shoot a deer, they aren't jamming gear down your throat, they focus a lot on strategy and also focus a lot of footage on tracking wounded deer. I really enjoy the show and it can be found on Amazon and YouTube. I also like a show called dropped about two brothers getting dropped off in Alaska with only their hunting gear surviving for a month in the backcountry. I'm sure we've all dreamed doing something like this. What else is out there that you enjoy

As to the header - they ALL suck...
Hornady Dark and Dangerous and Tracks Across Africa are my top two. Jim Shockey when he hunts exotic overseas places like Pakistan and Iran are a close third.
Originally Posted by sgt217
Beyond the hunt if only to look at Julie...

Yup.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/09/21
This
Posted By: OGB Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/09/21
Meat Eater. He is mostly DIY, honest and ethical. Also, he illustrates the entire process. Hunt, kill, process and eat with pride. Yes he has sponsors and so what. At least he isn't gut shooting deer with a bow or "hunting" pre-prepared animals.
Old re-runs like the American Outdoorsman with Kirk Gowdey.
Hannah Barron on YouTube.

She makes fixin banana puddin hot!
Hannah is actually a hot little bad ass!
I like a few of them, but not all their episodes are good. Newburg, meateater, Billy Molls, elk101 solo hunter. There's more I'm forgetting.

I wore out the VHS copy of Larry D Jones' elk fever that my local archery store had when I was a kid.
Can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Buck McNeely. LMFAO.

His couple of episodes in 'Zimbabweee' were pure gold. LOL
I can remember Curt Gowdy and Phil Harris duck hunting with Bing Crosby on the "American Sportsman." But if you were a kid in Kansas you NEVER missed the "Sportsman's Friend" with Harold Ensley. He was DA MAN. From quail hunting in the south to fishing the Lake of the Woods. In a bright red Ford Country Squire.
Jason Matzinger: INTO HIGH COUNTRY

J. Alain Smith: RUGGED EXPEDITIONS
Originally Posted by bkraft
I can remember Curt Gowdy and Phil Harris duck hunting with Bing Crosby on the "American Sportsman." But if you were a kid in Kansas you NEVER missed the "Sportsman's Friend" with Harold Ensley. He was DA MAN. From quail hunting in the south to fishing the Lake of the Woods. In a bright red Ford Country Squire.

Same with us kids from Missouri.
Fishing show

Anyone remember Virgil Wilson? Late 80’s - early 90’s.

Maybe a southern show. Came on Sunday afternoons.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/10/21
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Fishing show

Virgil Ward, maybe?
I miss the old days going to the high school auditorium when Wally Tabor came to town. Later it was George Klucky. Those were the days.
Fishing show

Was it Orlando Wilson? I used to watch him every week, came on TNN.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Fishing show

Virgil Ward, maybe?

Yup.

Originally Posted by EastMS
Fishing show

Was it Orlando Wilson? I used to watch him every week, came on TNN.

Back before TNN turned into spike or some BS.

Orlando. Bill. Babe winkleman.

Good shows.
Who had the fishing show in the 80s that would show blooper reels of the guy falling out of the boat? That one was pretty entertaining. Guy wasn't afraid to poke fun at himself anyway.
Originally Posted by auk1124
Who had the fishing show in the 80s that would show blooper reels of the guy falling out of the boat? That one was pretty entertaining. Guy wasn't afraid to poke fun at himself anyway.

Bill dance.

He’s gotta been making shows for close to 40 years.
IIRC Bill Dance and Tom Mann was pretty funny
Posted By: ckat Re: Hunting shows that don't suck - 02/10/21
The Mountain Project on YouTube is my favorite, without a doubt! Most of the TV shows are unbearable...
© 24hourcampfire