Home
Just seen this on Facebook and thought maybe if manufacturers start making more moves like this in the future we can at least have a fighting chance against the hoarders or shops selling to whomever they like before ever putting it on their shelves. I think it’s a glimmer of hope and a move in the right direction! What you all think?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]keyboardchecker
i think all ammo mfg's need to double or triple their prices to suppliers so when a box of 9mm hits the shelves, it has a 30-40 dollar price tag on it. that will stop these scalping fuuckers cold.
168 gr vortex ttsx ot6!!!!!!
And fugg the middleman and mee maw and pee paw lgs markup!!!!
Good, too many middle men jacking up the price anyway!
If people stop paying scalping prices....
Originally Posted by Sako76

That’s adorable that you think the price will be less with direct sales.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i think all ammo mfg's need to double or triple their prices to suppliers so when a box of 9mm hits the shelves, it has a 30-40 dollar price tag on it. that will stop these scalping fuuckers cold.

That's exactly what they should do.

Raise prices until it remains on the shelfs for a reasonable amount of time, then begin to slowly lower them until they find the new equilibrium price.

Alternatively they could go the other direction, and raise prices until it doesn't sell, them back off a bit, and continue lowering until they reach a new equilibrium.
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Availability is a much bigger concern than price in my eyes!
Always said someone would smarten up. This capitalism stuff works.
Or they could just make enough.
Barnes, the company that backed a lead bullet ban. That movement got a lot of traction in the BHA circles.
How will selling direct stop the hoarders?

They won’t have to be at Academy’s at 9:00 now.
Interesting. Sierra Bullets now owns Barnes. I wonder if Sierra will be selling direct.
Seems like a trend. Hodgdon started selling their powder direct to consumer just before this current crunch, but there was no cost savings to the consumer.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That's exactly what they should do.

Raise prices until it remains on the shelfs for a reasonable amount of time, then begin to slowly lower them until they find the new equilibrium price.

Alternatively they could go the other direction, and raise prices until it doesn't sell, them back off a bit, and continue lowering until they reach a new equilibrium.

It would entail an administrative hassle on two sides, which could be cranked into pricing, but I can see how the right retail price point coupled with a manufacturer’s rebate to consumers based on x amount of ammo per y period could make a difference in stabilizing prices and cutting out the non-retail resellers while giving everyone a shot at a piece of the pie. If the manufacturers just jack up the prices and improve their bottom line without some corresponding benefit to the consumers, they really are just shifting, at least partially, who benefits from the scarcity.
Sierra sells direct.
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Or they could just make enough.

How much beyond 100% capacity would you like them to run the factories? And fug QC while we are at it!

The ammunition making business is open to any willing to put their money where their mouth is.
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Barnes, the company that backed a lead bullet ban. That movement got a lot of traction in the BHA circles.

Yup exactly why I don't use or buy barnes bullets. Mb
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
How will selling direct stop the hoarders?

They won’t have to be at Academy’s at 9:00 now.

I honestly feel a lot of the hoarding is simply caused by seeing the ammo sitting on the shelves ... it’s sorta a knee jerk reaction. So outta sight outta mind possibly?
Originally Posted by Esox357

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Originally Posted by Ranger99

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Problem is...

You got a ton of folks that buy just enough bullets for hunting.

You know. 1 shot to check scope....

They don’t care if a box of ammo is $60-80.
So . . . Will the bullet manufacturers be working in
unison with the toilet paper manufacturers?

Or will the hoarders still screw things up regardless
of what everyone else does?

I've read of ten thousand other people that have
witnessed the people in line at sunrise to dash in
the store and buy their limit, but I still have people
call me the worst kind of blankety blanking liar
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Interesting. Sierra Bullets now owns Barnes. I wonder if Sierra will be selling direct.
Seems like a trend. Hodgdon started selling their powder direct to consumer just before this current crunch, but there was no cost savings to the consumer.

This,
Ishoog a lot of serria and barnes both but ..
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by Ranger99

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Problem is...

You got a ton of folks that buy just enough bullets for hunting.

You know. 1 shot to check scope....

They don’t care if a box of ammo is $60-80.

Yeah
I personally know of several who struggle to find
ammo then go do magazine dumps, then turn
around and boo hoo that they can't find ammo

Oh well
Originally Posted by chesterwy

Yep.

They aren't going to cut the throats of their wholesalers for
a schmuck who might buy a couple thousand in a lifetime.

They will look at what scalpers are getting, and base off that.
And I don't blame them.
I'll be dipped if I was a legitimate business and I'd let these
Asshats get away with 400% profits when I couldn't get a 50%
markup in normal times.
I don't care what they do as long as they keep making the 30cal 168 ttsx
Does Barnes manufacture their ammo in-house?
So if they don’t regulate what a person can buy in a time frame ? How is this going to stop hoarding ?
Seems to me if they don’t regulate sales per customer they will still be tasked with demand and accomplish nothing but fugging the LGS and putting the retail in their pocket .
Or am I missing something ?
Kenneth

This
All manufacturers should have added more scalability to their production lines. After at least 4 runs in a dozen yesrs you might notice a pattern. They don't want to add equipment because as soon as they get it online the rush ends. Seems it would pay to have a couple of lines on standby. Equipment could be paid off pretty quick selling direct at current prices. When it slows back down mothball it until the next run.

Bb
sierra sells a better bullet than barnes to
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
All manufacturers should have added more scalability to their production lines. After at least 4 runs in a dozen yesrs you might notice a pattern. They don't want to add equipment because as soon as they get it online the rush ends. Seems it would pay to have a couple of lines on standby. Equipment could be paid off pretty quick selling direct at current prices. When it slows back down mothball it until the next run.

Bb

They still have to pay property tax on the equipment even if it isn't running. Some of that stuff doesn't do well just sitting, it's meant to be running.

So then the ammo mfg's will be doing the scalping instead.
Catch me up on this.....

Why can't they sell direct?

Is it an issue with gov law/illegal or a contract issue with current companies they do business with?
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

Bb

I took a tour of the Sierra plant about 10 years ago. They have that place set up in a way that streamlines production and I've seen many manufacturing facilities that are not nearly as good. They will be good for anyone buying Barnes bullets. They have since expanded since my tour. To say I went away impressed is an understatement
Originally Posted by KevinLA

This

I agree but Barnes is a different company under new ownership now. Great product and I’m sure the new owners wouldn’t want to ban lead bullets.
Originally Posted by ejo
Originally Posted by KevinLA

This

I agree but Barnes is a different company under new ownership now. Great product and I’m sure the new owners wouldn’t want to ban lead bullets.

I’m behind. I ignored Barnes news since the anti-lead push. Another form of gun control.

Sierra I am down with. Great product, have never been disappointed.
Usually, when manufacturers start selling direct after years (or decades) of only selling through distribution/retailers, they set a price on the website that will be called "MSRP" - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price". It is NOT going to be the price that Bass Pro and MidwayUSA pay for the product, it will be more. It is usually set so that a retailer can sell at that (or a lower) price, and still make a reasonable profit.

I imagine you will see prices on the Barnes site very similar to what you see at the online retailers and at the big box sporting goods stores. The Ma & Pa shops will be higher, but they usually are higher than the big retailers anyway, because they aren't ordering several million bullets at a time like Grafs and Midsouth do so they don't get the same discount off MSRP.

Until the supply can match the demand, you won't see any better availability (or pricing). But you will at least have another outlet to turn to when looking for options.
Originally Posted by srwshooter
sierra sells a better bullet than barnes to

That’s hilarious. For prairie dogs and paper, probably.
Just a thought.

Not spreading it on FB might be a good idea...
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
But you will at least have another outlet to turn to when looking for options.

This is all I really care about!
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Just a thought.

.... I’m not sure I understand?? Barnes announced it on Facebook to get the word out to the general public. Why wouldn’t they? Lol
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Just a thought.

Too late!! Grampa's and umpteen-jillion kids are loading up their cars and heading to Barnes, lines stretching around the building by 0600 on Monday!!! Buyin' and flippin'!!!!
© 24hourcampfire