Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
14 months ago, some people in CA paid $500k cash for a house. Then the seller refused to move out. This was before the covid no-eviction regulations. When the covid rules came to be, the sellers managed to get their squatting under the new regs. Today, they're still there, paying no rent. The buyers have been trying to evict them but CA laws have stopped them cold. They paid for a house and it's being stolen from them with the blessing of the liberal CA laws. According to the article, they aren't the only ones in this situation.
SQUATTERS

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
They should move in regardless. With their nasty dogs.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Seems to me that this would be an easy case of fraud, or even trespassing. It's ridiculous that the cops haven't simply arrested the clown.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Insure it and burn it down.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
All I have to go on is this article. It makes it sound like CA laws have blocked them on everything they've tried. Liberal lawmakers are really good at passing laws that screw the people.
Posted By: hanco Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
That is a fuuucking beyond all I’ve ever heard.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
There is a movie about this sort of thing. Pacific Heights. A pretty accurate potrayal of how the law works. Been going on for some time now.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Wait until you see the upcoming gun laws. They will make your head spin.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Old Ornery

"You ain't seen nothing yet" is a challenge to california liberals.

kwg
Posted By: Remsen Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Stuff like this has been going in in CA for decades. At the risk of repeating a story I've told before, when I first moved to NYC from Oakland, CA, my wife and I had a condo in Oakland that we rented out to one of my wife's co-workers.

The tenant was fine for the first 6 months or so, then we stopped getting rent checks. After many lies from the tenant and a lot of misplaced trust from us, we finally got the truth: the tenant's boyfriend had AIDS and they set up our condo as a hospice for him, and as the boyfriend slowly died, the tenant stopped working and was broke. After maybe six months of putting up with this nonsense, the tenant claimed he was leaving and I flew out to Oakland to get the condo ready for a new tenant.

When I got to the condo, the boyfriend had died (and was removed) and the tenant had turned the place into a shrine for the recently dead boyfriend. There was nothing in the place other than the hospital bed the boyfriend died in and the tenant was naked, blacked out drunk and laying in a collage of pictures of the recently departed, with candles burning in the carpet and lit cigarettes all over the place.

Being the level headed guy I was, I flipped out and demanded that the tenant get the f out immediately. He yelled something about how he was going to die there too, and I was about to fulfill his wish when my dad, who had driven me over to the condo, came through the door and stopped me. I called the cops to report that the tenant was now a trespasser and the cops told me that I was the trespasser, as local laws don't allow "self help" evictions and not until a court orders the sheriff to remove the person will that person have to leave.

Sounds like California laws are at least consistent.... (and I was able to get the scumbag out of the unit by reporting him as someone engaging in self harm--they took him out of the unit for a psych evaluation and actually held him long enough for me to get an attorney to start the eviction proceedings).
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by Remsen
Stuff like this has been going in in CA for decades. At the risk of repeating a story I've told before, when I first moved to NYC from Oakland, CA, my wife and I had a condo in Oakland that we rented out to one of my wife's co-workers.

The tenant was fine for the first 6 months or so, then we stopped getting rent checks. After many lies from the tenant and a lot of misplaced trust from us, we finally got the truth: the tenant's boyfriend had AIDS and they set up our condo as a hospice for him, and as the boyfriend slowly died, the tenant stopped working and was broke. After maybe six months of putting up with this nonsense, the tenant claimed he was leaving and I flew out to Oakland to get the condo ready for a new tenant.

When I got to the condo, the boyfriend had died (and was removed) and the tenant had turned the place into a shrine for the recently dead boyfriend. There was nothing in the place other than the hospital bed the boyfriend died in and the tenant was naked, blacked out drunk and laying in a collage of pictures of the recently departed, with candles burning in the carpet and lit cigarettes all over the place.

Being the level headed guy I was, I flipped out and demanded that the tenant get the f out immediately. He yelled something about how he was going to die there too, and I was about to fulfill his wish when my dad, who had driven me over to the condo, came through the door and stopped me. I called the cops to report that the tenant was now a trespasser and the cops told me that I was the trespasser, as local laws don't allow "self help" evictions and not until a court orders the sheriff to remove the person will that person have to leave.

Sounds like California laws are at least consistent.... (and I was able to get the scumbag out of the unit by reporting him as someone engaging in self harm--they took him out of the unit for a psych evaluation and actually held him long enough for me to get an attorney to start the eviction proceedings).

One of us would have taken an azz whooping..... right then and there!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by 45_100
There is a movie about this sort of thing. Pacific Heights. A pretty accurate potrayal of how the law works. Been going on for some time now.
Beat me to it... Watch that - and you'll never, EVER, be a landlord.. eek

Patriots will not EVER comply...
In this case, the owners have no intention of being landlords. They want to move in to the house they've paid for. It's not a tenant situation, it's out and out theft with the CA government behind it.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Well I start by padlocking the water main.
Then pull the outside breakers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
SSS
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Out here the power company under COVID restrictions cannot shut off your power for non-payment either.
But before you get too carried away with the CA bashing, I believe the COVID eviction restrictions are National, not California.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/02/heres-what-the-cdcs-nationwide-eviction-ban-means-for-renters.html
Posted By: Redneck Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
One thought - if/when the squatter leaves the house for any reason, immediately change the locks and not allow him back inside... Then move in, toss out everything onto the front lawn and go from there..
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Local man, years ago, was renting an old house on his farm to White trash. They quit paying rent, wouldn't move, place looked awful, junk and chit all the place. He started watching the house, and saw them leave one day, went in, moved anything that looked worth saving, and set the place on fire. Told them that he came by and it was on fire, and he got as much of their stuff as possible. Nothing was ever said. I loved the good old days like that.
Posted By: keith Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
We are going back to the Wild Wild West, law and justice have been flipped to no law and justice is an Evil thing!
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Originally Posted by kwg020

"You ain't seen nothing yet" is a challenge to california liberals.

kwg

Yes, the other challenge is "just how stupid are you?"

To which their response is, "here, hold my chardonnay...!"
Posted By: BOBBALEE Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJjBC_w-oI
Originally Posted by Redneck
One thought - if/when the squatter leaves the house for any reason, immediately change the locks and not allow him back inside... Then move in, toss out everything onto the front lawn and go from there..
the problem is, El Squatto has the law on his side. He can come back with the sheriff and you'll be evicted from your own house and charged with theft if anything's missing. That's what's wrong with this whole thing - the law protects the criminal and screws the honest man.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Just go to dinner in public, and have them killed while you have lots of witnesses.
Posted By: dassa Re: Another sick CA law - 03/22/21
Does anyone think the buyers are smart enough to regret their decision to live in California?
© 24hourcampfire