Home
Posted By: Calhoun Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Looking at replacing my old, trustworthy F150 SuperCrew.. and boy does truck shopping suck now.

First, found out that my old truck is worth about nothing, classic Ford engineering and a total failure to properly design something called "cam phasers". Good thing I bought it cheap in 2008, but still sucks.

And if you think folks are gouging on guns and ammo because of shortages, talk to a city dealer about buying a truck now while shortages are ongoing because of the chip problem.

"I think we can take $150 off the price of that truck".

?????????

Don't need it that bad. I can wait a year or two, and I won't buy it from you.

Thinking a smaller truck, don't really need to haul much any more. Due to 40 years of experience with Ford engineering idiocy ($800 spark plug replacement???????), I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado. Of course, for some reason they can't keep their wheel wells from rusting out. (I swear half of the Silverado's/Colorado's I see have rusted wheel wells). Ford Ranger is a possibility.

Could also be open to another half-ton.. I rather like the Silverado 1500 Custom, and their $4000 discount doesn't hurt right now.

Who's bought something recently? Recommendations?
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Sounds like Toyota
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Wait a year and then buy a Toyota Tundra.

RS
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Flip a coin. They all have plus and minuses. I been shopping myself for a half ton and had a really difficult time deciding between a Ram 1500 Limited and GMC Denali. Both of these dealers are still dealing and knocking thousands off the MSRP. And both seem really hot to buy my 2019 Ford Superduty gasser. Last offer was for $56000 and it is 2.5 years old. Way more than I paid for it new. Been a Ford guy for last 40 years but want to try something different.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I bought a Ford...once. Current Silverado has 395,000 on it...But yes buying a new truck is an expensive PITA. On more than one occasion, I've left the house, checkbook in hand to go and buy a truck. I guess I'm over all of my car/truck "wants" in life, but I can't see spending 50K on a friggin TRUCK...So, I'll use this one till the wheels fall off. I carry the title in the glove box, so I can just "dead stick it" to a dealership or give it to the junkyard to two away... smile THEN I'll get another...
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Now is not the time to buy a new truck! A buddy got quoted $70k on a new outdated Tundra TRD in Denver a few days ago, $70k for a Tundra……..are you F’ing kidding me?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Old and trustworthy.....for something new, unreliable and terrible expensive.

Makes great sense.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I hadn't realized how bad it was. Yesterday I took my 2014 Tacoma in for an oil change and some parts replacement that are regularly scheduled 7 year items. They had zero Tundras and only 2 Tacomas on the lot. I've gotten 2 letters from the dealership offering to buy my truck which is intriguing except there's nothing out there to replace it with.

The only advice I can offer is "keep looking". Be willing to walk away if you don't like the price. And in the mean time, keep up on your maintenance 'cause you may have to drive the thing you've got longer than you plan.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I hate it no matter the circumstances but its a necessary evil. Transportation is a big need in my life.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Wait a year and then buy a Toyota Tundra.

RS

Wait two years and see real reports of the gas mileage they are supposed to address
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Flip a coin. They all have plus and minuses. I been shopping myself for a half ton and had a really difficult time deciding between a Ram 1500 Limited and GMC Denali. Both of these dealers are still dealing and knocking thousands off the MSRP. And both seem really hot to buy my 2019 Ford Superduty gasser. Last offer was for $56000 and it is 2.5 years old. Way more than I paid for it new. Been a Ford guy for last 40 years but want to try something different.

Wait for the 2022 if going gmc or chevy 1/2 ton. Lots of lifter issues in the 19-21s. My new gmc is going in the shop friday for a new rear window, headliner stays wet due to leak. Probably two hundred pages just about the rear window on the forums. And that may not fix it, the spoiler above breaks it seal and water weeks in through it also.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Wait until supply catches up with demand if you can. This is a terrible time to buy a vehicle or a standby generator. I have learned when truck shopping to not dare admit you don't want their financing and don't take any no interest deals. I was talked into a no interest deal back in 2003 by a local Chevrolet dealer and later found out the dealer pocketed a $2500 rebate.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Now is not the time to buy a new truck! A buddy got quoted $70k on a new outdated Tundra TRD in Denver a few days ago, $70k for a Tundra……..are you F’ing kidding me?

And another point.. a lot of the used trucks are near the MSRP of new ones. We drove through the lot where we've bought a number of used vehicles at very good deals, and all they have are high mileage and high prices on trucks.

Originally Posted by T_O_M
The only advice I can offer is "keep looking". Be willing to walk away if you don't like the price. And in the mean time, keep up on your maintenance 'cause you may have to drive the thing you've got longer than you plan.

Kept up the maintenance, always do. But never knew about the cam phaser problems on Ford F150's 5.4L engines. Hard to maintain something you don't know is broke. Choice on the old truck is to throw a couple thousand at trying to fix the cam phasers and HOPE that the engine isn't actually ruined.. or replace the entire engine. Which is an option, just not one I prefer.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Dang vehicles are a bottomless pit into which we throw our money, never to be seen again.

I drive a 2003 F150 and a 2004 Ram 3500 diesel. Both have a little over 100K on them, both will be with me until I cant drive any more.
If you can wait, I would wait a year. The local Ford dealer had two F250's and two F350, maybe 4-5 F150's on the lot. The dealer said the May shipment from Ford was already 90% sold. This dealer usually has 100 plus trucks on the lot.

When all the folks who bought new cars with defered mortgage payments and stimulus checks figure out they can't afford the payment next year, late model used cars should be cheap.
I
Originally Posted by killerv

Wait for the 2022 if going gmc or chevy 1/2 ton. Lots of lifter issues in the 19-21s. My new gmc is going in the shop friday for a new rear window, headliner stays wait due to leak. Probably two hundred pages just about the rear window on the forums. And that may not fix it, the spoiler above breaks it seal and water weeks in through it also.

They all have issues. My last F150 was bought back under the Lemon Law program. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don’t. What are some good forums to join for the GM 1/2 tons?
Posted By: Higginez Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I've been truck shopping recently. Called a bunch of dealers. Some will play ball some won't. Costco dealer quoted me a good price (all things considered) here in California. Montana Costco dealer was at sticker.

Keep calling around. There's a bunch of Rangers on lots so there should be a deal somewhere.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Best car dealer here is actually Toyota. Other Toyota dealer is typical above MSRP added wax job thief.
Anyway the better dealership has a 2017 Tundra with 127,000 miles for 33K. So I guess zero depreciation?
My wife wants a new car, and she does not understand it is best to wait a while. I hate to go next month.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
As for mid-size trucks, I am on my second Honda Ridgeline. My new one is a 2021 and it's just dandy for an old-timer like me. Smooth, quiet, easy on gas, reliable, roomy and easy to get in and out of.
Posted By: strikeu Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
RAM 3500 4 WD, Dual Rear wheels, Limited package, Crew Cab, Cummins High Output 6.7L with Aisin transmission. delivered to my house. $90,000 truth
Posted By: MM879 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Looking at replacing my old, trustworthy F150 SuperCrew.. and boy does truck shopping suck now.

First, found out that my old truck is worth about nothing, classic Ford engineering and a total failure to properly design something called "cam phasers". Good thing I bought it cheap in 2008, but still sucks.

And if you think folks are gouging on guns and ammo because of shortages, talk to a city dealer about buying a truck now while shortages are ongoing because of the chip problem.

"I think we can take $150 off the price of that truck".

?????????

Don't need it that bad. I can wait a year or two, and I won't buy it from you.

Thinking a smaller truck, don't really need to haul much any more. Due to 40 years of experience with Ford engineering idiocy ($800 spark plug replacement???????), I'm leaning towards a Chevy Colorado. Of course, for some reason they can't keep their wheel wells from rusting out. (I swear half of the Silverado's/Colorado's I see have rusted wheel wells). Ford Ranger is a possibility.

Could also be open to another half-ton.. I rather like the Silverado 1500 Custom, and their $4000 discount doesn't hurt right now.

Who's bought something recently? Recommendations?

I would take another look at Ford or Ram before Chevy. I really do not like the torsion bar front suspension used on Chevy. Every torsion bar suspension I have had failed in the end.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
GM hasn't used torsion bars on the half tons for a long time.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I bought two new Rams last summer.

Traded in a 2016 Toyota Tacoma for a 2020 1500 EcoDiesel. Hated the gutless Tacoma. Really like the 1500 Ram.

Traded in 2012 Cummins 2500 crew for a 2020 model. I like this truck also.

Both deals were easy and painless from local dealer.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
The supply shortage is what is F’ing things up. Go online to VROOM and Carvana and look at what they are willing to pay for your current used truck, it’s nuts, but even if you sell it to them you gotta find something that isn’t jacked up price wise. Weird times right now.

It’s kind of like selling a house for a high profit but the replacement house cost so much more it’s not worth selling!
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Now is not the time to buy a new truck!

This x1000^^^
Originally Posted by strikeu
RAM 3500 4 WD, Dual Rear wheels, Limited package, Crew Cab, Cummins High Output 6.7L with Aisin transmission. delivered to my house. $90,000 truth

There are loaded trucks to be found on the lots. Just not in the market for one. Crew cab, 4x4.. a few options, that's all I need.

Just had a dealer send me a link to a GMC Canyon SLE, 18k miles asking $31k... not horrible.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

When did they change to strut? Is the HD strut also? Struts are better than torsion by a little.
Plenty of new trucks if you look and at good prices. Been offered 6-7k off a new GMC by several dealers. And Mark Dodge In Louisiana is offering 8-10 grand off new in stock higher optioned Rams.
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Walked into Toyota dealer in late March and within 10 minutes had cut a deal at my price for a Tacoma. Walked out and dealer delivered it to my house on April 1. Easy peasy
Posted By: RJL53 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21

It’s kind of like selling a house for a high profit but the replacement house cost so much more it’s not worth selling!

That is so true, people really bad at math don't see it.

I figure I could spend less than half as much the cost of a new truck and restore mine back to new condition when the time comes.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Cam phasers & need for a contortionist to change the plugs, yep we have an ‘04 F150 🤦🏼‍♂️

My sil is a heavy equip mechanic & a good one at that.

He changed the plugs @ 100k miles w/ out a problem.

Same w cam phasers, which was a far more interesting project. He found broken pieces of timing belt alignment parts inside while doing so. Mudderfuggers This after replacing stock transmission after it went out.

My question is at what price point can we expect a sound truck ? Hundred thousand ? 150K ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

The 3 Tacoma’s in the family all seem to be doing ok a ‘99, ‘07 & ‘15

Had better luck w GMC’s a ‘92 & ‘02, but both had some issues. We pretty much had to rebuild the front end on the ‘02 with only 125K miles or so. Shop quoted us 4K so the boys & I did it ourselves w some helpful pointers from my A&P buddy.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I'd wait 2 years
put aside a few hundred every month
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd wait 2 years

Need a vehicle I can trust to do some long trips this year. So really don't want to wait. I would if I could. Not to mention wanting something a bit newer than a 17 year old truck when hunting in blizzards in the boonies.

Got a lead on a red Ranger crew cab 4x4 XL.. after 40 years, it's time that Ford gives me a vehicle free of stupid defects, right? I'm due? grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I’m glad I bought a new truck two years ago. It has 16,000 miles on it. I kept my old Dodge diesel to drive to work, just paid the new one off. I have my 89 jeep to drive if I had to. Wifey bought a new Acura last year. We shopped for ours online, didn’t look at them until we went to pick them up.
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'd wait 2 years

Need a vehicle I can trust to do some long trips this year. So really don't want to wait. I would if I could. Not to mention wanting something a bit newer than a 17 year old truck when hunting in blizzards in the boonies.

Got a lead on a red Ranger crew cab 4x4 XL.. after 40 years, it's time that Ford gives me a vehicle free of stupid defects, right? I'm due? grin

Just be prepared to pay sticker, it's just the way it is right now. My wife "needed" a new Mustang, I think I got less than 2k off sticker, I couldn't find another one like she wanted anywhere within a days drive so I bent over took it, I always buy the last years left over base models at the end of the model year because I'm cheap laugh . I can get $5k more than paid for my 18 RAM tradesman right now, but a replacement is $10k more.
Posted By: elkaddict Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
The shortage has caused some pricing insanity in my area. I found a TRD Pro I’ve been eyeballing for a while. They want 3k over MSRP....won’t even discuss coming off the price given the market. Used prices are even crazier. I’ve a got a 2011 FJ Cruiser with 76,000 miles that I’ve now been offered 26k for. Clearly, someone thinks they’ll sell it for more. I’ve got 2003 Duramax I’ve been thinking about selling/trading in on a F150 with the 3.5 EB but none can be found.... I think waiting the shortage out is the wise move right now if at all possible.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Vehicle (especially trucks) production's in the toilet due to scarcity of parts to build 'em - one of the major items is the chips that run stuff... Many dealers around here are showing a lot of bare spots on the lots, and I hear daily on the radio a couple of major Twin Chitties dealers begging for used vehicles so they have something to sell.

If anyone has a truly decent car/truck to sell, now is the time - you'll get mega-bux compared to a year+ ago.. IF I wanted to order a new one today I'm hearing it would be 7-9 months before it's here... Sure glad I got mine 13 months ago..

Originally Posted by elkaddict
The shortage has caused some pricing insanity in my area. I found a TRD Pro I’ve been eyeballing for a while. They want 3k over MSRP....won’t even discuss coming off the price given the market. Used prices are even crazier. I’ve a got a 2011 FJ Cruiser with 76,000 miles that I’ve now been offered 26k for. Clearly, someone thinks they’ll sell it for more. I’ve got 2003 Duramax I’ve been thinking about selling/trading in on a F150 with the 3.5 EB but none can be found.... I think waiting the shortage out is the wise move right now if at all possible.
Exactly...
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Deals are still out there but you really have to shop for them. I bought a 2015 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 Crew cab with 29K miles on it for $31K about two years ago and I love this truck. My son just bought a GMC Sierra LTE? a couple months ago that stickered for $58K for $44K brand new and it is one hell of a truck. Same set up as mine- 4x4, 1500 Crew Cab with all the bells and whistles.

Do some calling around or get on the GMC or Chevrolet website where you can build your truck and see what they will build you one for, then check with dealers to see how long it might take to get one. Some dealers have better access to new trucks and delivery times than others based on their past sales records.

I got my truck shopping on CarGurus.com. I wasn't looking for new, but wanted something with low miles and a pretty specific color and finally found what I wanted about 180 miles from my home. Drove up, made the deal, and had it shipped down to a shipping point a few miles from my house and picked it up. Quick, painless, and pretty easy . If you find one someplace else in the country for a great deal you can always have it shipped for fairly cheap money. Keep looking and be patient and one will pop up .... contrary to some , I enjoy the shopping aspect but with the advent of online car sales most dealers price their trucks pretty competitively with online prices these days and won't budge much on prices. Also, watch for big weekend sales like Memorial Day coming up and Labor Day. Most dealers will have sales on big weekends to bring traffic into their lots....

Bob
I never step foot into a dealership until I already have a deal worked out. If they want to play games, I can find out long before I have a conversation with someone and just move on to the next dealership that doesn't want to waste people's time
Posted By: centershot Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Wait a minute - Biden says inflation is minimal 1.5-2%.............
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
OP, let me help you with that.

1. Tundra
2. 4Runner
3. Tacoma

Done. smile
Posted By: BLG Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Bought my loaded 2021 Sierra SLT on March 10th. $11,500 off of sticker. $49,500 out the door. (I know it's a GM and I suck) Glad I bought when I did, It was my first new truck in 29 years. Tried to find used, but couldn't pull the trigger on a truck with 50-60,000 miles for only $10,000 less than new. There's nothing left at that dealership except for $65,000 Denali's.

Brother in law works at a Chevy dealership. Says his higher ups told him not to expect any real shipments of Silverados until July 2022.

Clyde
Originally Posted by MM879

When did they change to strut? Is the HD strut also? Struts are better than torsion by a little.

for some reason the most common lifted truck in my area is chevy. guys seem to love to lift black chevies, put wheels on them with 2" or more negative offset, so they stick out. Then typical GM fashion, just slap the DEF tank on, somewhere. That tank would get ripped off on the first trip to the desert. The lifted chevies I laugh at, They lift them, then put a box doohicky that lowers the rear torsion bar mounts, thus is kills the break over angle, which was the whole idea of lifting the truck!!! lifted for looks. I usually say to myself, dude, sorry about your dong. people lift the WORST truck out of the big 3 to lift. must be something with GM owners.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

for some reason the most common lifted truck in my area is chevy. guys seem to love to lift black chevies, put wheels on them with 2" or more negative offset, so they stick out. Then typical GM fashion, just slap the DEF tank on, somewhere. That tank would get ripped off on the first trip to the desert. The lifted chevies I laugh at, They lift them, then put a box doohicky that lowers the rear torsion bar mounts, thus is kills the break over angle, which was the whole idea of lifting the truck!!! lifted for looks. I usually say to myself, dude, sorry about your dong. people lift the WORST truck out of the big 3 to lift. must be something with GM owners.

Seriously, do you really think any of those idiots who put those huge lifts on their trucks of any make actually take them off road?
Originally Posted by Sheister

Seriously, do you really think any of those idiots who put those huge lifts on their trucks of any make actually take them off road?

LOL hey I agree. it seems silly to make the truck drive like crap, ruin the towing ability, burn more gas, all in the name of looking cool. that is where the sorry about your dong comment comes in.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21

70 k for a TuRD lol junk
I just bought my fourth Tundra, a 2021 Crewmax 4x4. We just had our second kid and needed more room. I’ve bought TRD editions before and couldn’t really think of a time where it really mattered and I never liked the shifter on the center console. Got a SR5 with the shifter on the steering column. I was gonna sell my 2015 Tundra TRD, but got a trade in for $30k which helps with the sales tax. Paid $39910 out the door. Paid the difference in cash.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
At my age this is my forever rig. I've had it 10 years now and at 144K no issues. it should out last me...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nobody budging off of MSRP. Considering I can rent a car or truck for the couple of weeks I want one this year and avoid depreciation/taxes/etc on a new truck, I'll probably come out ahead waiting for the pipeline to fill back up or the companies to offer better incentives on what I want.

Never buy when the market's stacked against you if you don't have to.
Posted By: hanco Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
At my age this is my forever rig. I've had it 10 years now and at 144K no issues. it should out last me...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep. That’s my 2018 Dodge. If I don’t wreck it or it gets stolen, I’m done, my 2004 still runs great!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by BLG
Bought my loaded 2021 Sierra SLT on March 10th. $11,500 off of sticker. $49,500 out the door. (I know it's a GM and I suck) Glad I bought when I did, It was my first new truck in 29 years. Tried to find used, but couldn't pull the trigger on a truck with 50-60,000 miles for only $10,000 less than new. There's nothing left at that dealership except for $65,000 Denali's.

Brother in law works at a Chevy dealership. Says his higher ups told him not to expect any real shipments of Silverados until July 2022.

Clyde

GM makes a schidt truck compared to Ford and Ram
Nobody budging off of MSRP. Considering I can rent a car or truck for the couple of weeks I want one this year and avoid depreciation/taxes/etc on a new truck, I'll probably come out ahead waiting for the pipeline to fill back up or the companies to offer better incentives on what I want.

Never buy when the market's stacked against you if you don't have to.

Damn. In that case just rent a loaded truck for two weeks every year . Buy guns, coke, and women with the rest.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Damn. In that case just rent a loaded truck for two weeks every year . Buy guns, coke, and women with the rest.

In 13 years of owning my 2004 Ford F150, I've only put 43,000 miles on it. That one I got cheap. Now that I'm selling my boat, I'll need one even less. So the idea has merit...

Drop a remanufactured engine in the 2004 would probably be the wisest thing to do.

But I LIKE having a newer truck. Maybe next year.

In 13 years of owning my 2004 Ford F150, I've only put 43,000 miles on it. That one I got cheap. Now that I'm selling my boat, I'll need one even less. So the idea has merit...

Drop a remanufactured engine in the 2004 would probably be the wisest thing to do.

But I LIKE having a newer truck. Maybe next year.

Good idea
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/11/21
I bought a 2010 F150 with a blown motor but in otherwise good shape at auction. I’m putting a reman motor in it myself. I’ll have about $9300 in the when I’m done. That’s with new tires and other parts I’m changing while I’m in it. No way I’d take the beating of a new truck ! I can put a little sweat and bleeding knuckles into a straight older vehicle and drive payment free. The ford 5.4 cam phaser issue is well known but I know several that are over 300k now and going strong. Trick is changing the oil religiously. Thin oil in worn phasers lets the pressure drop and the phasers starve for oil. The more they wear the more the pressure drops. Viscous cycle that destroys the motor.
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

Awe fuqk you too...
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Reading the thread, I looked up my current truck. 2014 2500HD Duramax LTZ crew cab 4X4 Z71. DANG, worth more than I paid for it new. (paid $45K, retail $48K with 42K miles) Going to keep it, not wanting to pay the price of a new .
I’ve been driving a Dodge 1/2 company vehicle for the past 1 1/2 years. The is certainly a lot that I like about it, but I wouldn’t buy one. Touch screen acts weird, transmission shifts a bit erratically, and the body seems to dent very easily. That said, it is fun to drive and it rides great. I still wouldn’t buy one, though.
Posted By: Hastings Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
I would say the same thing except in reverse order and put GMC where you put Ford and Dodge. But when my job furnished me a state owned pick-up and bought the gas I loved Ford and Dodge. Just would not buy one.
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Reading the thread, I looked up my current truck. 2014 2500HD Duramax LTZ crew cab 4X4 Z71. DANG, worth more than I paid for it new. (paid $45K, retail $48K with 42K miles) Going to keep it, not wanting to pay the price of a new .

Is that one of the models that has the def tank hanging off the frame rail? Cant believe people put up with that
I'll sell you my 2014 5.0 supercab. 65k mi....and dollars grin

Most people would be better served by a SUV and dump trailer.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
All this moronic dumbass Brain Salad over "should I sell my truck to buy a new one because they're gonna give me a couple shekels more for mine" doesn't make a bit of sense.
Posted By: deflave Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Now is the time to buy, buy, buy!
Posted By: deflave Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
All this moronic dumbass Brain Salad over "should I sell my truck to buy a new one because they're gonna give me a couple shekels more for mine" doesn't make a bit of sense.

When I’m done buying my new truck I’m gonna stock up on lumber.

All I can get!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by local_dirt

When I’m done buying my new truck I’m gonna stock up on lumber.

All I can get!

When I stopped for gas in Miami this morning, there was only one lady ahead of me at the pump.

But hey, the whole east coast Is a wasteland!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Is that one of the models that has the def tank hanging off the frame rail? Cant believe people put up with that

Oh gawd, they do look hideous. I wouldn’t have a GM diesel truck
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
I lucked out and bought a used 19 Duramax pickup with 3400 miles on it from a dealer right as everything was shutting down. The dealership was afraid that they were not going to be able to sell anymore for awhile so they gave me stupid money for mine and discounted the used pickup so that I could not walk away. They had my pickup sold as I was on my way down to the dealership. When I walked in the only people in that giant building were the salesman, finance manager, and the sales manager. Shop was closed down and when I pulled up I thought they were closed. The salesman had to wash and fuel the pickup before I got there.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Folks gonna have to park their new truck outside to make room for their hoard of 2x4’s and plywood in the garage. 😂
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Spoke to a guy the other day and his monthly truck payment is $620. I can not imagine making that kind of payment every month.

Very conservative costs?? for monthly expenses.

$620 Monthly car payment .
$2,000+ rent or mortgage payment.
$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.
$250 a month for utilities
$250 a month for incidentals and entertainment.
$200 a month for company health insurance.
$200 a month for savings.

$4,120 total expenses for the month.

12 months.

$49,440/ Round up $50,000 clear after taxes.

$10,876- 22% tax bracket.

$61,000 required to make per year.

$52,000 a year is the average income for a male.

$9,000 spending more than making per year.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by andrews1958
Spoke to a guy the other day and his monthly truck payment is $620. I can not imagine making that kind of payment every month.

That's nothing these days. 700-1k car payment is becoming the norm. Either he only financed 35kish for 60 months or he stretched 50kish out to 84 months which seems to be the new norm for folks that dont need to be spending that kind of money. Blows my mind.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
We do assume a lot about others when we see them in these new vehicles, we dont know their financial circumstance for 99 out of 100 of them. 620 may be well within his means. And if folks want to leave this world with no money left, whats wrong with them enjoying it or spending it on others while they spent their time on Earth. Cant take it with ya.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
A couple of rust areas down low behind the doors (another common thing on F150 super crew cabs), but I think she's good for a while. Oil got changed frequently by mileage... but not necessarily by date, given that I only averaged 3500 miles a year with it. But can't speak to the 100,000 miles it had on it when I bought it in 2008. It was clean, but no maintenance records came with it. So it's a crap shoot for the cam phasers.

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
We do assume a lot about others when we see them in these new vehicles, we dont know their financial circumstance for 99 out of 100 of them. 620 may be well within his means. And if folks want to leave this world with no money left, whats wrong with them enjoying it or spending it on others while they spent their time on Earth. Cant take it with ya.
Good post sir.. Kudos..
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21
Originally Posted by Redneck
Good post sir.. Kudos..

smile Agree
Posted By: WMR Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/12/21

$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.

12 months.

I don't see car ins, medical expenses or clothing in the budget. $200 in savings won't cover emergencies (things break). Also seems like no retirement savings going on. Still, the elephant in the room is the fact that a guy with a take home pay under $4000 is paying $2600 of it in rent and a truck payment. He's destined to be broke if this is the case. Dude's not gonna be buying that new Creedmoor anytime soon.
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by WMR

$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.

12 months.

I don't see car ins, medical expenses or clothing in the budget. $200 in savings won't cover emergencies (things break). Also seems like no retirement savings going on. Still, the elephant in the room is the fact that a guy with a take home pay under $4000 is paying $2600 of it in rent and a truck payment. He's destined to be broke if this is the case. Dude's not gonna be buying that new Creedmoor anytime soon.

Originally Posted by WMR

$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.

12 months.

I agree and again my prices were very conservative. I just do not know how some people do it finically especially if they have kids that would blow the above budget further.
Originally Posted by WMR

$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.

12 months.

Originally Posted by WMR

$400 a month for food.
$200 a month for fuel.

12 months.

I agree and again my prices were very conservative. I just do not know how some people do it finically especially if they have kids that would blow the above budget further.

My guess is most people making $50k a year don’t have a $700 a month car payment and a 2k mortgage. I don’t buy cars I can’t pay cash for because it’s a luxury, but I might take advantage of a 0% or 2% interest rate wink
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Meanwhile in rural Montana I'm driving an 18 year old pickup and live in a 40 year old house.

Wife has a 10 year old SUV that hasn't hit 30k miles.

No payments.
(on anything)

No kids.

No life.....lol
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Well , you know the old saying-

"Dieing penniless is a sign of a perfect budget"....

The flip side of that is it is pretty interesting to hear people talk about what other people spend without knowing what they make. You might be surprised what some guys make at jobs you wouldn't consider....
Originally Posted by ajmorell

Cam phasers will probably run you about $3500 parts and labor. That should include new cam phasers, new phaser solenoids, timing chain, timing chain tensioners and guides at a minimum. It's possible there will be some additional parts they find that are worn and should be replaced. It's a known, well-documented issue with the 5.4 3V engines.

I just had this done on my '10 (currently ~150k miles) and in addition to the phasers, solenoids and timing chains/guides/tensioners I had to have an exhaust manifold replaced (leaked, ended up with a broken stud in the cyl. head) and a few roller rockers replaced. It was not cheap, but talking with the shop owner, who I trust a great deal, he advised that similar repairs on newer vehicles were far more costly and not any more infrequent. He also said that once repaired, it should be no issue to get another 100k-150k without issue from the 5.4. I contemplated a new truck, but I couldn't justify spending $50000 on a new one versus $5k to repair my existing one which is in otherwise great shape.

Was the 4.6 known for cam phaser issues?
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Was the 4.6 known for cam phaser issues?

Depends on the variant. The 2V 4.6 (and 2V 5.4) don’t have cam phasers, 3V variants do.
Posted By: WMR Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21

That's nothing these days. 700-1k car payment is becoming the norm. Either he only financed 35kish for 60 months or he stretched 50kish out to 84 months which seems to be the new norm for folks that dont need to be spending that kind of money. Blows my mind.

To quote Dave Ramsey: “The worst car accidents happen on the showroom floor.”
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
T, that is WAY too broad a brushstroke.
Buying new can and does work very well when the purchaser has a solid plan.

That plan is not made in the sales manager's office.

You may be right to a point. But there are a ton of people that I see and know enough about them to know that they are financed to the hilt for their new vehicles. An example would be pulling into the school parking lot for a game or function and I see brand new cars/trucks driven by people I know.

I just bought a new-to-me pulling truck as a backup. And to see what new ton or bigger pickups are costing, it is mind-blowing, $85 - $92k. Consequently, used truck prices are unreal also.

Only way I will buy new is if I am forced because of a breakdown on a truck for work and I gotta have a replacement or if taxes may force the issue.
Originally Posted by WTM45

Only time is if it works in the purchaser's financial/tax-planning.

If a person can afford, I think it's awesome.

I just cringe when I see people financing vehicles for 7 years. Depreciation eats most of these peoples' lunch immediately.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.
T, could you not say that regarding any capital purchase? Or investment in goods?

Only those who have no financial knowledge get fleeced. But everyone pays something in the end. Buying a new capital good is not the "wrong" choice, it is but an option. Even used can get a purchaser in trouble, and I'd bet more people get screwed when shopping in that market. That's where some REAL dandy financial choices can be found.

T, could you not say that regarding any capital purchase? Or investment?

Only those who have no financial knowledge get fleeced. Buying a new capital good is not the "wrong" choice, it is but an option. Even used can get a purchaser in trouble, and I'd bet more people get screwed when shopping in that market. That's where some REAL dandy financial choices can be found.

Now see, you are trying to inject reality and facts into a situation that they have no business being in.

In all reality, there are definitely times buying new is smart, ie, makes financial sense etc. And most of those are business purchases made by business owners or managers.

But the discussion here, and most of them here, center on purchases for basic daily use to and from work, recreation etc. In the case of an individual buying in those situations, there is money to be saved buying used. But, it is a personal decision and, as such, good and bad decisions both are going to be made. No doubt mistakes can be made and money lost buying used as well.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Only time is if it works in the purchaser's financial/tax-planning.

If a person can afford, I think it's awesome.

I just cringe when I see people financing vehicles for 7 years. Depreciation eats most of these peoples' lunch immediately.

I buy new for my company truck and take advantage of commercial discounts and low interest rates. I also never finance past 5 years. Remember, you can always add extra payments to pay it off earlier.

I also cringe when I see folks take long loans, especially on older vehicles. I had a contractor doing some work for me, he had bought a dually welding truck and was paying 6 years at 25% interest!
It's amazing how many of today's younger folks that don't have a clue about managing their credit rating. They just have to have something and will sign up for whatever it takes to get it.

For clarification, based on the OP, I would strongly suggest used is a better option as far as cost-savings.
My last 15 new trucks were all leases. If I could sell it before the end of term I could order a new one earlier. I never had any problems selling the trucks, just order top of the line vehicles.
Now see, you are trying to inject reality and facts into a situation that they have no business being in.

Why would I do that? wink

As I see it, it is not as much a decision of new vs. used, it is a decision on financing and payment.
That's where the homework and due diligence is to be done before the shopping starts.
Some folks simply wait until they have no choice but to buy today, or find themselves walking. Old Bus #11!
Some businesses do the same. Big mistake.

When the $ work out right for either the individual or company beforehand, and a budget is set and caps are in place, the choice of buying new does carry some great incentives such as greater warranty, control of services maintenance records going forward and in most cases a security of solid functionality without downtime losses for a longer period of time.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Have you priced used trucks lately?

Folks are selling their used trucks for more than they paid for them new now.

And another point.. a lot of the used trucks are near the MSRP of new ones. We drove through the lot where we've bought a number of used vehicles at very good deals, and all they have are high mileage and high prices on trucks.

Originally Posted by T_O_M

Kept up the maintenance, always do. But never knew about the cam phaser problems on Ford F150's 5.4L engines. Hard to maintain something you don't know is broke. Choice on the old truck is to throw a couple thousand at trying to fix the cam phasers and HOPE that the engine isn't actually ruined.. or replace the entire engine. Which is an option, just not one I prefer.

I almost never purchase from a dealer.

I did buy a used car for my daughter about a month ago from a dealer. But the vast majority of what I purchase is from private sellers.
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

I have and just purchased one 2 days ago.

Purchased a nice used car about a month ago also. I am very aware of the market.

No where did I say buy just any truck. You have to do a little legwork and be smart about it.
My last 15 new trucks were all leases. If I could sell it before the end of term I could order a new one earlier. I never had any problems selling the trucks, just order top of the line vehicles.

I had a plan the whole time. I wanted to get the retirement truck just right. I tried all the engine options and rear axle ratios. Ordering a new truck is not straight forward because of the option package definitions. It is hard to get what you want without getting too much.

Why would I do that? wink

As I see it, it is not as much a decision of new vs. used, it is a decision on financing and payment.
That's where the homework and due diligence is to be done before the shopping starts.
Some folks simply wait until they have no choice but to buy today, or find themselves walking. Old Bus #11!
Some businesses do the same. Big mistake.

When the $ work out right for either the individual or company beforehand, and a budget is set and caps are in place, the choice of buying new does carry some great incentives such as greater warranty, control of services maintenance records going forward and in most cases a security of solid functionality without downtime losses for a longer period of time.

Damnit man, quit trying to be thoughtful and intelligent about the situation. You are just muddling things up here.
I don't agree buying new is a bad thing. when its not being effected by covid. go look at trucks that are slightly used. 2 years old 30k ish miles. THE PRICE ON THOSE IS MORE MOST OF THE TIME THAN NEW. its a myth buying new is bad. 4 years ago I bought my wife a 2014 pilot with 40k miles. in 4 years we have seen about 13k in depreciation. if we had bought new instead. deprecation would have been less than 10k. Now the only way to really make sense it to keep driving the vehicle another 3-4 years and our depreciation will only be about 6k, more. but if we just traded out every 4 years you get a new vehicle and the cost isn't really more, IMO . yeah it makes terrible sense to buy new when you pay way too much for the new vehicle. about 10% off sticker less incentives is where I normally start on a new vehicle. buy it right and you will be ok.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

I have and just purchased one 2 days ago.

Purchased a nice used car about a month ago also. I am very aware of the market.

No where did I say buy just any truck. You have to do a little legwork and be smart about it.

I know, but with the covid and chip shortage mess, its hard to find a deal.

I got a carvana estimate on my 2020 sierra, I didn't pursue it because I couldnt replace it...but offer was 6 grand more than I paid for it new last September. Crazy. I'm seeing folks begging to pay msrp at minimum instead of the markup the dealers are getting now.
The sale price on all of my leases were (retail - the monthly payment cumulative total) Payment on a Gold Key lease was 1.7% to 1.9% of sticker, $650.00 - $750.00/month
Posted By: Windfall Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Autotrader.com and you can find anything that you are looking for how ever far you want to look for it. Bought our last two vehicles that way and most dealers will ship out of state if need be. I put the wife in the car for a 150 mile road trip to look at our last one, then bought it and drove both of them back home. Lenztruck.com advertises that they have 800 late model trucks / SUV's on their lot at any one time and they ship all over the country. My truck is basically a 6,500 # play thing that depreciates every year, but that is because of it's age, not it's condition as it doesn't get daily driver miles. Old guys with good stuff die every day and low mileage vehicles are out there. I've got my recently deceased uncle's 2007 Dodge van with 49k miles on it right now in my driveway that has a blue book like 3k on it. Just need the title to get it gone.
Posted By: DaveR Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Not sure what's up with truck prices lately, but I've been holding onto my old 2002 Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab with 240k miles on the clock for 4 years since I bought my 2017. Four years ago I'd of taken $8k for it. After watching prices seemingly jump on these things the last year or so, I put it up for sale at $11,500 last month. Sold twice for $11k. First buyer confirmed he'd take it, but couldn't get financing (they wouldn't do it as truck had over 150k miles), the second brought cash.

Mind you, the truck was in fair shape, but long in the tooth with a couple dents, scratched (desert pinstriped) paint, bed all pugged up from hauling firewood and crap, and had certainly been off roaded and used. This was not a "mint condition" truck by any stretch.
In shopping for a new one, search all the dealer's inventory in your area, and see who has what you want. Call the internet sales manager or fleet sales manager and ask them their email address, and tell them you're going to be buying, are looking for bids, and are going to send them a request for pricing. Send the email detailing exactly what you want to anyone who has what you want, and wait for offers to come back in. Do this the last week or so of the month when they're trying to hit their quota for factory to dealer incentives. No need to walk in and deal with salesmen. Cuts right through all their bullchit. When I bought my 2017 new 4 years ago, got it for $590 under invoice with this method, when most the dealers said they wouldn't budge below sticker price. I got one of the better deals on a new Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 I've heard of by doing that, using the methods from "fightingchance.com".
Posted By: Teal Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by DaveR

In shopping for a new one, search all the dealer's inventory in your area, and see who has what you want. Call the internet sales manager or fleet sales manager and ask them their email address, and tell them you're going to be buying, are looking for bids, and are going to send them a request for pricing. Send the email detailing exactly what you want to anyone who has what you want, and wait for offers to come back in. Do this the last week or so of the month when they're trying to hit their quota for factory to dealer incentives. No need to walk in and deal with salesmen. Cuts right through all their bullchit. When I bought my 2017 new 4 years ago, got it for $590 under invoice with this method, when most the dealers said they wouldn't budge below sticker price. I got one of the better deals on a new Tacoma TRDOR 4x4 I've heard of by doing that, using the methods from "fightingchance.com".

And right now that guy is talking to the 20 people on his lot, willing to pay full ticket rather than responding to your email.

This is not the same market as 4 years ago.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21

I have a 6.4L Ram. The engine was certified with 5w-30 oil. Shortly after release corporate changed to 0w-40 full syn oil. I am not certain why they did that but, I know it was for reason. The 0w-40 full syn is very costly and hard to find. The only sources I know of is internet and dealer. There was an oil filter design change also. The 0w-40 is the best oil I have ever used. The only problem is the 0w-40 is twice the price of normal oil. The Euro market uses a 0w-40 full syn of a different specification. FCA recommends against the use of the Euro standard.

I believe it is related to oil supply of the cams and roller rockers in the 6.4 related to the MDS. I've read a bit about 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi with MDS scortching cams with low mileage. Not sure I've read enough reports that it'd deter me from buying one though, I think the failure rate is pretty low and mostly attributable to poor maintenance.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Bingo. I've bought a total of TWO new vehicles in my entire life, most have been used that were a couple years old. Both those new ones were at closeout prices that were lower than a good used vehicle. Bought 4 cars now from a local dealership which does a flat price.. no negotiating, the sticker price is the sale price. They've offered good deals, we've bought from them.

But when I started looking a couple months ago, it made no sense to buy a used truck because the market as just priced too high.. Why buy used when there's no real price advantage? I found one pretty good deal.. it just wasn't the truck I wanted.

When the market gets back to normal, I'll look at it again.
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Very happy with my GMC Canyon, but there are times when I want a larger cargo bed. But for most of my needs it's a great truck.
Do not buy new.

Buy a used truck.

Bingo. I've bought a total of TWO new vehicles in my entire life, most have been used that were a couple years old. Both those new ones were at closeout prices that were lower than a good used vehicle. Bought 4 cars now from a local dealership which does a flat price.. no negotiating, the sticker price is the sale price. They've offered good deals, we've bought from them.

But when I started looking a couple months ago, it made no sense to buy a used truck because the market as just priced too high.. Why buy used when there's no real price advantage? I found one pretty good deal.. it just wasn't the truck I wanted.

When the market gets back to normal, I'll look at it again.

In general, the prices are nuts right now.

But I did just buy a used F350 with about 85k miles for 40% of what a new one would cost. Truck is clean and straight.

I just bought a nice used car, loaded with about 110k miles for about 25% of what the new version costs.

I nearly succumbed to the temptation of buying a used 16 F350 king ranch last week and that truck was probably about 60% of the cost of new.

Takes a lot of hunting and legwork. They aren't as common as they were before this crazy stuff started happening.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
I don't agree buying new is a bad thing. when its not being effected by covid. go look at trucks that are slightly used. 2 years old 30k ish miles. THE PRICE ON THOSE IS MORE MOST OF THE TIME THAN NEW. its a myth buying new is bad. 4 years ago I bought my wife a 2014 pilot with 40k miles. in 4 years we have seen about 13k in depreciation. if we had bought new instead. deprecation would have been less than 10k. Now the only way to really make sense it to keep driving the vehicle another 3-4 years and our depreciation will only be about 6k, more. but if we just traded out every 4 years you get a new vehicle and the cost isn't really more, IMO . yeah it makes terrible sense to buy new when you pay way too much for the new vehicle. about 10% off sticker less incentives is where I normally start on a new vehicle. buy it right and you will be ok.

You should buy a Chevy dumb fuqk...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Today I picked up a new 2021 loaded GMC Denali 4x4 crew cab for $5k off the Msrp. Plus they gave me $1500 more than what I paid for my trade when I bought it new. Trade in was a 2019 F250 that I purchased new almost 2.5 years ago.

I believe it is related to oil supply of the cams and roller rockers in the 6.4 related to the MDS. I've read a bit about 5.7 and 6.4 Hemi with MDS scortching cams with low mileage. Not sure I've read enough reports that it'd deter me from buying one though, I think the failure rate is pretty low and mostly attributable to poor maintenance.

I have got 70k on it now. There was a ticking problem until I got the new part number oil filter. Since then, everything has been perfect. I change oil at 5k. I could not imagine going to 15k on the light duty schedule. It is hard on oil. I pull a large travel trailer and the oil is ready for a change at 5K. It doesn't consume any oil, just gets dark.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Buy used 1 owner private sale if possible.

Let someone else take the hit depreciation wise.

Fugg dealers...
They always seem to want full blown retail resale "Exc " condition for actual good or fair condition vehicles.
You start quote price ranges on private sale , trade in values, and retail resale from reference sites. They try as hard as they can to dismiss that schitt.
But will cherry pick to use that info when selling to a rube.

They lowball the fugg outta any trade in, then try and get full blown retail resale.

I can only imagine what their sales pitches are now with this chip
" shortage"...

Fugg em
Let em rot
Same class as lawyers and politicians IMO.
If they were honest people, they wouldnt be selling vehicles JMO.
Posted By: Calhoun Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
Originally Posted by renegade50
I can only imagine what their sales pitches are now with this chip
" shortage"...

"We're offering a good deal by letting you buy at MSRP. A lot of dealers are selling for over MSRP."

Actually heard that from one.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
I guess I'm not seeing the same things you guys are seeing in used truck prices...

I shopped on cargurus.com for my last truck and the prices on most of the trucks was about what I would have expected for used trucks. They have a feature I really liked that let you know if it was priced about right, over priced, or a great deal and it was pretty accurate. Just yesterday just for kicks and giggles I went on their site and put in a search for 2018-2020 Chev 1/2 ton 4x4 trucks and found a ton of them and all priced pretty reasonably for the model, mileage, and options. None that I saw were priced at "new truck" prices.... I don't have any connection with cargurus.com but I think you guys shopping for trucks need to widen your search a bit if you're seriously looking for a decent deal. A bit of patience and the money to buy quickly or financing already lined up helps also as the best deals disappear quickly...

Just an example- https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...itySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c26877

Bob
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21
You can still find a deal here and there if you are persistent.
Posted By: pahick Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/13/21

Depends on what youre looking for.

The best deal ive found so far is a co-worker trying to get out of his 2020 Trail Boss. Ive been looking at 2021 Trail Boss's but 50k is the absolute lowest I can find on a lot. Co-worker has 10k on his and wants 34k for it. Its a Custom with 5.3 though, and I want an LT with a 6.2 For a few grand more I can buy new.

I almost bit the bullet last Saturday on a 21 LT 6.2 Trail Boss, but they only wanted to give 11k for my 2011 CC Z71. That put me at 40k out the door. If they would have went 38k it would be at my house right now. But I made up my mind 38k is my limit.
Buy a Tundra then wait 20 years and get another one.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

I have had mine for about 3.5 years. Bought it used with about 85k on it. Close to 250k and it's about played out.

But thanks for the suggestion.
Posted By: killerv Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Today I picked up a new 2021 loaded GMC Denali 4x4 crew cab for $5k off the Msrp. Plus they gave me $1500 more than what I paid for my trade when I bought it new. Trade in was a 2019 F250 that I purchased new almost 2.5 years ago.

nice truck, watch for that rear window leak, its not a matter of if but when. I dropped my 2020 off yesterday to have my leak addressed. A lot of folks having to have lifters replaced too.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
.....and lucky..
Posted By: Teal Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Has the MPG improved on them at all. Got a friend with one, 16mpg is a hope and a prayer, mostly less than that.
Posted By: hanco Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Went to the Dodge dealership yesterday, damn few trucks on the lot.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Went to the Dodge dealership yesterday, damn few trucks on the lot.

Mark Dodge in Louisiana had roughly 75-100 in stock last week. Many of the Limited models were on sale for 10-12K off MSRP.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Drove home our new GMC CC 4x4 Denali yesterday. the 10 speed and 6.2 are a nice combo. Averaged 20.5 for the 120 mile drive home.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
Drove home our new GMC CC 4x4 Denali yesterday. the 10 speed and 6.2 are a nice combo. Averaged 20.5 for the 120 mile drive home.

I have a 2015 Chev Silverado 4x4 with the 6 speed transmission and I like it a lot... then I drove my son's new GMC Sierra LTE with the same 5.3 engine but the 10 speed transmission and I was surprised at how much more smooth and drivable it was. With the 10 speeds gearing it gives the truck a lot more power in the lower gears and really wakes up the 5.3 IMO.... but I'm still keeping my 2015 until the wheels fall off it, which should be about the time I'm too old to drive any more.... and I got 22.5 mpg on a trip home from sage rat hunting last week....
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/14/21
I don't mind the shopping, it's the paying!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/15/21

You guys buying brand new trucks quibbling over fuel mileage is a hoot.

If you can afford to purchase brand new trucks at today's prices, you should not be concerned about fuel economy.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/15/21
Congratulations on the new truck.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/15/21

If you can afford to purchase brand new trucks at today's prices, you should not be concerned about fuel economy.

load of bs......but ok mom....think of this maybe the truck will be kept for 10...15....years it doesn't hurt to get better mileage....bob
Posted By: Sheister Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/15/21

What an ignorant statement.... I guess doubling my gas mileage and getting a newer, more reliable vehicle makes me an idiot? I'll take that hit....
Posted By: Higginez Re: Truck shopping sucks.. - 05/15/21

You bitching about it sure is funny though.
© 24hourcampfire