Home
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Nilgai. - 05/15/21

Any suggestions of S Tx outfitter’s for spot and stalk Nilgai would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Any suggestions of S Tx outfitter’s for spot and stalk Nilgai would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Head over to Accurate Reloading and look on The Outfitters/Discounted Hunts forum.

There were 2 and I believe that Mulie Mike McKinney also offers them.

Good luck with your search and please post what you may have found.
Posted By: hanco Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Good luck, hope you get one. I’ve seen a few when I hunted south Texas. They are horse size from what I remember. A 270, with a good bullet would be plenty enough gun I think.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
AR is a muzzy owned, anti USA forum full of parasite lawyers and libtards. Click on this link and you'll find loads of possibilities, and dont' overlook the heralded King Ranch.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=South+Texas+NilgaI+Hunts&atb=v263-1&ia=web
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21

Thanks.

Do you have face book?
Would be interested in spot and stalk at night with night vision.
Posted By: JimFromTN Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Originally Posted by hanco
Good luck, hope you get one. I’ve seen a few when I hunted south Texas. They are horse size from what I remember. A 270, with a good bullet would be plenty enough gun I think.

Most outfitters have a minimum 300wm requirement
This was a fun do it yourself hunt in the land cut, public land.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7585752/nilgai
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13422413/1
Could do a cast and blast. Baffinbayhuntingandfishing.com
Capt Mark
361-720-4003

Mark Franklin is with Xavier Garcia.
thSFsmeplobrnsuauorrefdy urd9ar ·
Doin what we do
Feeding copper an making profile pictures one night at a time!
We started off sitting on a Foodplot i planted for the Nilgai.
10 mins into the hunt we saw 4 Nilgai cows grazing around us when Blake spotted a bull 700 yards
15 mins later he jumped the fence an was gone.... So we went back to the chairs to wait on the next one
1.5 hours go by an another cow an calf walk out.
Blake spots another bull about 300 yards so here we go that direction.
While getting close only thing that was goin threw my mind was how i could get Blake a shot on this beast threw the 5 strand bobwire fence in thick brush.
Well luck was on our side when he moved right next to the fence
75 yards broadside
I told him don’t hit a wire Lol
That was all she wrote!
Huge Nilgai Bull

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
I don’t know exactly what you want but here’s a few to look at: maripossa ranch, Lomas chicas, l&l, and wildlife systems. There’s also a south Texas nilgai Facebook page that some outfitters post on. I know some of them hunt the Yturria
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Originally Posted by JGRaider
AR is a muzzy owned, anti USA forum full of parasite lawyers and libtards. Click on this link and you'll find loads of possibilities, and dont' overlook the heralded King Ranch.

Exactgly!

My badge of honor is being kicked off the sandniqqer's site.
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I don’t know exactly what you want but here’s a few to look at: maripossa ranch, Lomas chicas, l&l, and wildlife systems. There’s also a south Texas nilgai Facebook page that some outfitters post on. I know some of them hunt the Yturria

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2756021971339071

Puro Pinche Low Fence Hunting.
Posted By: Txwildman Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Try Greg Simons at Wildlife Systems. He hunts all over the place and has some excellent Nilgai ranches in STX to hunt. I killed one on the King Ranch several years ago and the smallest gun they would let me use on that ranch was a 338 WM. They prefer a 375 or larger. Mine dropped like a rock at 225 yds with 210 gr Nosler partitions, but I had a perfect shot and the guide said he had never seen one go straight down. Several others that week had some serious tracking with the thick brush, but I've always believed shot placement was king. Not sure what Greg suggests for his hunts, but a 270/3006 have been bringing down big critters for years.

They are excellent table fair! Good luck!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
I have hunted with Greg Simons and Puro Pinche Low Fence Hunting--bot for nilgai, but both are excellent outfitters.

My last nilgai hunt was with Double Shot Outiftters out of Harlingen, and it was excellent. In fact one the guides was a wildlife biologist, who did his master's degree research on nilgai! Very interesting hunt, and our group all got what they wanted.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Nilgai. - 05/15/21
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I believe that he’s asking Hunting information and not about politics or falling in love, JG.

This site has a fair share of lawyers and libtards also.

Jus sayin, bro.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
I forgot about Double Shot. I've hunted with them 3 times. Only once was for nilgai but saw plenty. They're good to go
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21

No, I’m no longer on Fbk and am not looking for a night vision hunt. Just a good spot ‘n stalk hunt. One other thing is I’m divested of anything bigger than a 7mm and none of them are magnums so, if true that some are requiring 300 magnums and bigger, that’s a problem for me.

Thank you for the responses so far.
Posted By: EdM Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
George, Roger,

I'd be up for a hunt. George, you can fly into San Antonio, I pick you up, sleep here and we head south and reverse. I have done this with with 'fire folks on the annual pig hunt. PM me if interested.

Rog,

Hooking up is easy as you know. PM if interested.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21

No, I’m no longer on Fbk and am not looking for a night vision hunt. Just a good spot ‘n stalk hunt. One other thing is I’m divested of anything bigger than a 7mm and none of them are magnums so, if true that some are requiring 300 magnums and bigger, that’s a problem for me.

Thank you for the responses so far.

7mm will work fine.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
Originally Posted by EdM
George, Roger,

I'd be up for a hunt. George, you can fly into San Antonio, I pick you up, sleep here and we head south and reverse. I have done this with with 'fire folks on the annual pig hunt. PM me if interested.

Rog,

Hooking up is easy as you know. PM if interested.

I'll have to see just went to the Keys for a little over a week.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
Yep! The two biggies, as always, are good bullets put in the right place.

Have posted this before elsewhere on the Campfire, but around 20 years ago I took part in a big nilgai hunt on the King Ranch. 15 hunters took part, all using Winchester .270 WSM rifles and Winchester factory ammo with the 140-grain Fail safe bullet, which worked very similarly to the Barnes TSX.

The outfitter was one who recommended nothing less than a .300 magnum of some sort, and preferably a .338 or .375. He 9and his guides) were highly skeptical about any cartridge named ".270."

Each of us was allowed a bull and cow, and by the end of the hunt we'd taken 30 nilgai with the "inadequate" cartridge, and the guides and even the outfitter considered the .270 WSM a fine nilgai round.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21

Thanks again for the responses. This would be for 2022 at the earliest I think, and I’m gathering info for some friends as an alternative to another elk hunt, not that we don’t enjoy elk hunts. None of us have taken a nilgai or hunted them.

The chance at hogs as a distant second choice would be a plus.
Posted By: Cluggins Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
Originally Posted by JimFromTN

So a 6.5 Creedchrist would be overkill.
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
Seeing as how I can't draw a tag lately to save my life, I might have to look into a Nilgai hunt. I'd like to think my 308 Norma Mag would be more than up to the task!
Posted By: hanco Re: Nilgai. - 05/16/21
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Seeing as how I can't draw a tag lately to save my life, I might have to look into a Nilgai hunt. I'd like to think my 308 Norma Mag would be more than up to the task!

It should be, never had a 308 Norma. I came close to buying one when I stopped in Kleinguenthers shop in the late 70’s. He had some beautiful rifles in there.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Nilgai. - 05/17/21
Originally Posted by JimFromTN

For pillow biters, I'm sure, they'd want 300wm !
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Nilgai. - 05/17/21
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

It should be, never had a 308 Norma. I came close to buying one when I stopped in Kleinguenthers shop in the late 70’s. He had some beautiful rifles in there.

The 300 Win Mag was almost a 308 Norma clone. The 338 necked to 30 would have been a natural. It's a great round, IMO.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nilgai. - 05/17/21
Doc's cow 270wsm

I shot this one with a 270w 130gr core lokt, it just collapsed, high shoulder shot took out the spine, the bullet was under the hide on the opposite side. Simmons scope lol, bought that gun for 200 bucks twenty yrs ago with the scope on it, to this day it has not needed to be resited in. Did have to have the safety fixed, when off twice closing the bolt.

Notice where the entry wound is on the shoulder, that's where you want to hit them.

Posted By: JGRaider Re: Nilgai. - 05/17/21
Nice work stx.......
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Nilgai. - 05/17/21

I am fairly confident that a hand loaded 284 Win — the original short-fat — with 140-gr TTSX’s would be adequate.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Nilgai. - 05/18/21
They take shock pretty well, but die easy from a broadhead. Getting a broadhead into them is not that easy. They like to wander around in open areas and don't pattern easily (during daylight).
Posted By: bowfisher Re: Nilgai. - 05/18/21
Yes, I'd love to shoot one with the bow, not really interested in a rifle hunt.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Nilgai. - 05/18/21
Originally Posted by ltppowell
They take shock pretty well, but die easy from a broadhead. Getting a broadhead into them is not that easy. They like to wander around in open areas and don't pattern easily (during daylight).

that island I hunt would be good for hunting with a bow, I know the perfect spot to set up a ground blind. they come on to that island using the same trail all the time. the island is all brush, I think they feed there at night.
© 24hourcampfire