Home
Aside from the old sixshooter's firing all day, the cattle cars never hand any manure in them, just clean straw. laugh

More, I'm sure.
The clothing was pretty pathetically innacurate in most cases
Using firearms that hadn't been invented yet. Chase scenes that would have killed the horses quickly if the chase lasted as long as the movie portrayed. Pearly white even teeth on almost everyone.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Pearly white even teeth on almost everyone.

Did you mean to say teeth on almost everyone?
It's why Dub Taylor was such a good character actor.
Originally Posted by lostleader
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
Pearly white even teeth on almost everyone.

Did you mean to say teeth on almost everyone?
It's why Dub Taylor was such a good character actor.

Yep. And Gabby Hays 🤠
Did everyone drink piss-warm beer in 110 degree heat desert towns?
Originally Posted by slumlord

They call that “Rodeo Cool” down here. 🤠
1840's wagon train. Everyone has a winchester 94.

Folks out for weeks at a time with nothing on their saddle butt their ass.

Whole town full of people wearing brand new clothes.

Dust, but, no piss, chit or trash in the streets.

Suicidal natives.

Pretty whores.

No Mexicans in the southwest.
Most of the actors had the telltale outline of a pack of cigarettes in their pocket. But I do like all the old westerns even if they aren't exactly authentic.
The Virginian is on right now - everybody is not just clean shaven, but freshly so!
Originally Posted by AlleghenyMountain
The Virginian is on right now - everybody is not just clean shaven, but freshly so!

Yep. I would never shave if I had to use a straight razor and creek water like the real old time cowboys did 🤠
That's what I noted about the Cartwrights and the very nice pressed clothes. In the 1800s in Nevada no less.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
1840's wagon train. Everyone has a winchester 94.

Folks out for weeks at a time with nothing on their saddle butt their ass.

Whole town full of people wearing brand new clothes.

Suicidal natives.

Pretty whores.

No Mexicans in the southwest.

Whore’s have feelings too you insensitive prick!
Yes.
The main character heals from a bullet wound in minutes.
Always enjoyed about reading of the insect vermin in the native dwellings as was recorded by Lewis and Clark both when they got up into the northwest coast country. The superabundance of rodents too!!!

Lewis Gerrard (Wah-to-yah and the Taos trail) spoke of the abundance of insects on some of the native ladies too!!
Richard the old west was a lot tougher than the movies,

Warm beer is better than no beer.
Learned everything i know about Westerns from Blazin Saddles.
I can’t remember the name of the movie but I once heard a horse squeal tires.
Seldom an outhouse.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Seldom an outhouse.

What was it that Unforgiven movie with Eastwood, where that kid shot the guy in the outhouse who was taking a dump? I thought that pretty good!
Also good outhouse scenes in the Monte Walsh movies.

Another in "The Missouri Breaks"
In True Grit, Matty Ross is dry after riding her horse across the river!
Those tie down fast draw gun rigs were abominations! frown

T'wernt such a thing.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Also good outhouse scenes in the Monte Walsh movies.

Another in "The Missouri Breaks"

True Grit!

Did they ever tie the reins on the horses? Just flip them over the hitching rail.
Did they ever tie the reins on the horses? Just flip them over the hitching rail.

That's all those used up, dude ranch nags needed...
We did learn where the music came from in Blazing Saddles.

You're confusing the Old West with modern day San Francisco.
We did learn where the music came from in Blazing Saddles.

April In Paris???

One more time,,,,,,,
"Put the saddle on the stove Ma! I'm ridin' the range tonite.".

Actually they did, for the most part even kids. Safe drinking water wasn't always available.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Actually they did, for the most part even kids. Safe drinking water wasn't always available.

This - one of the beauties of beer is that there's no organism that can survive in beer that can make you sick.
Saloon girls never take raw dog shots the cookie?
I just tuned in to see what " Licensein" was...
Originally Posted by ingwe

I think it was one of the gifts the 3 wise men brought Jesus?
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by ingwe

I think it was one of the gifts the 3 wise men brought Jesus?

laugh

Now if someone would just gift wabi a spellcheck app....
Mostly the movies in question are not made to be real life.

I hate movies that are made like a reality show.

I also don't pick a lot of nits about movies,never did.

I mean does anyone really believe that flash Gordon's crap was real? wink
Originally Posted by Hastings
That's what I noted about the Cartwrights and the very nice pressed clothes. In the 1800s in Nevada no less.

They had Hop Sing…😊

We’ve been watching a lot of the old Gunsmoke episodes and anytime someone gets shot Doc is really insistent that, “I have to get that bullet out or he’ll die.”
No fantasy movies for me...

No gunsmoke? WTF?
We're told this....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

However, got this.

Amazed at how accurate so many are shooting from the hip. Also how the good guys can often shoot the bad guys off cliffs from great distances with 6 shooters while being shot at by bad guys with rifles.
About 30% of the cowboys were black. You seldom see them in movies.
And, they all die so nicely, with eyes closed.
When they need someone knocked out, a single punch or knock on the head with a pistol will do it every time.
You guys are ruining 1954 again.......
Roy could fight the bad guys. tumbling downhill, and never lose his hat, nor sixshooters.
The Soiled Doves are always way pettier and well dressed then pictures from the time show them to have been, Ten thousand head of longhorns drove the full length of main street with nary a cow pile left behind..
Originally Posted by renegade50
You guys are ruining 1954 again.......

Originally Posted by Cretch
When they need someone knocked out, a single punch or knock on the head with a pistol will do it every time.

Yeah...for the most part, but.....Let James Arness hit you across the head with a pistol and see if you get up.
They did not come to, until the script called for it.
Why were doctors offices pictured as being upstairs in the old westerns??? That would be a bit unhandy wouldn't it.

drover
A Ricochet sounds the same no matter if you’re shootings from rocks, saloons, from the hotel roof, on the plains, across a river, around a cactus, etc.
Besides the white teeth and freshly pressed clothes, I hated everytime Mannix effortlessly busted open a whisky bottle across some cow pokes noggin'.

Bottles don't break like that.

The thing that I liked the best about 1950s western movies is the tailored, form fitting blouses and falsies.

The women in those old movies always had on impeccable makeup even in the wilderness.
Originally Posted by AZmark

Yeah...for the most part, but.....Let James Arness hit you across the head with a pistol and see if you get up.

Have seen o' Matt get knocked out plenty of times in the same fashion.
Originally Posted by drover
Why were doctors offices pictured as being upstairs in the old westerns??? That would be a bit unhandy wouldn't it.

drover

Yep. That's why doc would always say " You boys carry him up to my office"
Are you fellows saying there was "poetic license" taken with the two greatest cowboy stars who ever lit the silver screen, Lash LaRue and the indomitable Whip Wilson? Why those two formidable Crusaders of the Plains did not even need guns to subdue the dastardly villains. They'd just use their handy dandy bull whips to jerk the guns out of the hands of the bad guys and then give them a bit of thrashing for their recalcitrant manners and send them on their way.

Afterward they were always rewarded with a kiss from the local beauty they'd just saved. (A platonic kiss, mind you. No tongue.) They'd then tip their sombrero, mount their trusty steed and ride off into the sunset toward another grand adventure in the Old Wild West.

No siree bob, no poetic license with Lash and Whip. grin

L.W.
And, we wouldda had it any other way. laugh
I like the old silent westerns. The ones with Wyatt Earp, Charlie Siringo, and Bill Tilghman as technical advisors.

Gawd bless William S. Hart
Given how expensive they are - find it interesting that everyone in town has 2 pistols and a rifle yet are "out of work cow punchers..."

Also - almost every dry goods store is manned by someone pushing 90.
In Butch Cassidy, and The Sundance Kid,the blow the payroll car, the guy inside only has his face a bit black,

Good luck hearing anything ever after that.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Are you fellows saying there was "poetic license" taken with the two greatest cowboy stars who ever lit the silver screen, Lash LaRue and the indomitable Whip Wilson? Why those two formidable Crusaders of the Plains did not even need guns to subdue the dastardly villains. They'd just use their handy dandy bull whips to jerk the guns out of the hands of the bad guys and then give them a bit of thrashing for their recalcitrant manners and send them on their way.

Afterward they were always rewarded with a kiss from the local beauty they'd just saved. (A platonic kiss, mind you. No tongue.) They'd then tip their sombrero, mount their trusty steed and ride off into the sunset toward another grand adventure in the Old Wild West.

No siree bob, no poetic license with Lash and Whip. grin

L.W.

Leanwolf, no offense with any of my comments:). I love watching the old Gunsmoke episodes (Of which I know you were a writer). Some scenes do make me smile and shake my head on most of the old Gunsmoke, Bananza, Rifleman ect. Great entertainment!
I's not just Westerns.
I always appreciate the character actors.

Robert Wilke
Dabbs Greer
Frank Ferguson
Leo Gordon
Don Haggerty
Kevin Hagen
Frank DeKova
Frank Mcgrath
Anthony Caruso
Bruce Gordon
And the 1000’s more!!
You shroud/ ought to star in some Bob!
Like most I enjoyed the old westerns. I really enjoyed the chase scenes. There was some great riding and the stunt falls were awesome. The amount of missed shots made me think that my dad and uncles were great shots, which they were. I believed then that getting shot in the shoulder w/ a 30-30 was just a minor wound. Western were great.

mike r

I have one western to my credit. Gawd, it was aweful.

Which of the good lookin' ones were you Bob?

I dunno know man...
Looks pretty 👍👍👍👍👍to me!!!
I always lol at that pic.

It's actually Roy's nonchalant camera face that does it.
Who new meaning to Buttermilk!
Who new meaning to Buttermilk!

LOL ! 🤠
Doc Holiday's gal.[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]
Leanwolf, no offense with any of my comments:). I love watching the old Gunsmoke episodes (Of which I know you were a writer). Some scenes do make me smile and shake my head on most of the old Gunsmoke, Bananza, Rifleman ect. Great entertainment!

No offense taken, Cretch. Hell, I've written a couple or three scenes at which I've smiled and shaken my head when I wrote them and then watched them when the shows aired. grin Same with some "modern" cops-'n-robbers shows for which I wrote.

I've done a tremendous amount of reading and research on "the Old West," and know the difference between authenticity and "make believe." But the studios and networks aren't too interested in "reality." The powers-that-be believe that few in the viewing audience would know the difference so film it anyway. wink

L.W.
Wyatt Earp.[Linked Image from 4.bp.blogspot.com]
I always appreciate the character actors.

Robert Wilke
Dabbs Greer
Frank Ferguson
Leo Gordon
Don Haggerty
Kevin Hagen
Frank DeKova
Frank Mcgrath
Anthony Caruso
Bruce Gordon
And the 1000’s more!!

You forgot Walter Brennan and Arthur Hunnicutt 😜
Two of my favorites! 🤠
What the hell is sasparilla and where can I get me one?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What the hell is sasparilla and where can I get me one?

Its like root beer

Kinda
After getting an autographed picture from Dale Robertson at a Tulsa gun show, I took a lot more interest in him and Tales of Wells Fargo.. He was the real deal.. Grew up on a ranch in Oklahoma.. If you notice, he always was riding a very spirited horse. Spent some time as a prizefighter.. Fun to think of that when watching him in a fight scene.. Pulse he was wounded while serving as a tank commander during WW11.
Originally Posted by ChopperUH1
After getting an autographed picture from Dale Robertson at a Tulsa gun show, I took a lot more interest in him and Tales of Wells Fargo.. He was the real deal.. Grew up on a ranch in Oklahoma.. If you notice, he always was riding a very spirited horse. Spent some time as a prizefighter.. Fun to think of that when watching him in a fight scene.. Pulse he was wounded while serving as a tank commander during WW11.

Met him and got his autograph when I was a kid.
At Ruidoso Downs Horse Racing Track.

😳😬🤠
Originally Posted by philgood80
A Ricochet sounds the same no matter if you’re shootings from rocks, saloons, from the hotel roof, on the plains, across a river, around a cactus, etc.
Remember the scene where Eastwood and Van Cleef are shooting at each other's hats? Every shot ricochets with exactly the same sound.
'Sketti westerns of the 60s and 70s. All generally noted for their dedication to reality and historical accuracy.
Dale Robertson was a great man. I understand he had a horse ranch in Oklahoma and sold horses. I liked his series.

That's right. One day, I got into a fight with my big brother. He was a year older and he always beat my ass. But, this time I had him. I was wearing my six gun. I was 7 years old I had a cap pistol in my holster.
Before he could beat my ass, I got out my cowboy pistol, grabbed it by the barrel, and smashed him over the head as hard as I could. But, it was weird, it did not knock him out. He jumped up crying and ran off to my mother. I was perplexed.
Most people’s idea of the Wild West is gotten from television and movies. Nothing could be much further from the truth. Showdowns and fast draw didn’t happen.

Gunsmoke, however imperfect it may be, is still a well cast and well written program. Compared to it’s contemporaries, it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the tv series westerns.

Monte Walsh with Lee Marvin and Jack Palance is a very accurately portrayed movie of the end of the open range era. Better than Tom Selleck’s Monte Walsh, although that wasn’t too bad.
Ever since this thread started I have been trying to think of any western, old or new, where the firearms belched out black powder smoke when it was fired. No luck so far, about the only movie I can remember where the firearms smoked was The Last of The Mohicans.

drover
Did I say, no muzzle jump on the revolvers?
Originally Posted by Hastings

Little Joe always wore the same green coat , and it never wore out, actually it never got dirty!
The TV fishing shows are as bad.
© 24hourcampfire