Home
Posted By: OlRufus Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Been thinking about getting one and just wondering if they’re worth the money and if they’re a big advantage over traditional sand bags.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
No

🦫
Posted By: wink_man Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Well, I'm ready to get flamed, but I have been using one for years and love it.

The haters will tell you they are no good and break stocks because they are so rigid, especially if you add weight to the sled.

I bought mine, padded it, use NO additional weight shoot and some heavier recoil guns like 12 gauge slug guns and I'm still waiting for my first broken stock.

I have one of the original lead sleds, and it weighs 17 pounds. If you use it on a smooth surface it will slide at the shot into your shoulder, hence no solid rigidity. I am in effect add 17 pounds to the weight of the gun and can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day in a t-shirt.

Here is how I padded it.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: goalie Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by OlRufus
Been thinking about getting one and just wondering if they’re worth the money and if they’re a big advantage over traditional sand bags.

If you can't shoot a rifle off a bench with bags to get it sighted in because there's too much recoil, buying a contraption to help isn't going to matter, because you'll still be afraid of it in the field and flinch.

🙄
Posted By: Osky Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Yes. For guests here for big game hunting they work just fine for them to check zero. Works very well and worth the money here.

Osky
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Nothing wrong with it for working up loads. Just remember...you're gonna shoot way different from any other platform.
Posted By: OlRufus Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by goalie

If you can't shoot a rifle off a bench with bags to get it sighted in because there's too much recoil, buying a contraption to help isn't going to matter, because you'll still be afraid of it in the field and flinch.

🙄

I’ve been shooting many years so I’m not skittish of the recoil, just seems with age I’m not able to hold as still or maintain steadiness of the crosshairs as I used to.
Posted By: 805 Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
Along with all the other facts already stated I don’t like the lead sled due to the fact of you can’t get any sort of cheek weld when a rifle is in it. The one I have is now just a rifle cleaning station.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
I have a pretty deluxe range in my yard, and a lot of guys drop by to use it, sight-in, change scopes, chronographing, whatever...my personal observation is that the guys who insist on using a lead sled have inconsistency problems. Hard to explain, but they get flyers, and then lose confidence and say, well would you mind shooting a group and we'll see if it's me or the gun? So I will fire off a sandbag group, 8 times out of 10, I will do better than the lead sled. And trust me, I ain't no David Tubb.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
I never saw the need for one and I do a lot of shooting and reloading. With sandbags and my portable shooting bench I can shoot MOA on most rifles which is just fine for hunting. But I can see where they could be useful for checking accuracy of your reloads as it would take some of the human factor out of the shooting equation.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/20/21
I had one but sold it. On harder kicking rifles it seemed to bounce the rifle off my cheek which I didn't like. It might work for some people but I didn't like it.
Posted By: OlRufus Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Thanks for all the replies. Got some good honest evaluations which is exactly what I was looking for.
I have one works fine if you feel it will help you go for it. I prefer à bipod that is fully adjustable and à bag at the rear bottom of the stock. Use it to sight in and then shoot off à rest.

🙄

A lead sled kept me shooting through '08 to '10 while my rotator cuff wes torn and while I healed from the surgery. I have not used it In ten years. But it was a treasure when I needed it.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
With anything above 25/06 I just use a folded beach towel for a recoil pad. Better to prevent a flinch that to try to get rid of it. One of the guys in our hunting club has a lead sled and he gets pretty erratic results. He can’t figure out why I get better results just shooting off bags.
If you clamp à board on the front of à portable stand you can apply pressure to the bipod legs. My Bergara 6.5 hmr will shoot .5" groups at 100 yards, also have a vortex razor for a scope. I'm an ok shot nothing compared to the 1000 yd. Compétition guys thou. Other rifles under an inch.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by 805
Along with all the other facts already stated I don’t like the lead sled due to the fact of you can’t get any sort of cheek weld when a rifle is in it. The one I have is now just a rifle cleaning station.

I've shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds at the range working up loads for me and others. Every shot has been off of sand bags and most recently a caldwell front rest (the kind on a small tripod with a padded cradle for the forend of the gun). The cheek weld and ability to squeeze the rear bag with my off hand to make micro adjustments in elevation can not be replicated with a lead sled. Many years ago i tried a lead sled that my buddy had at the range and I did not like it at all. I would get the gun on target then when I finally got down on the gun, the contact with my thrigger hand/shoulder/arm/cheek was enough to shift the point of aim enough to make the exercise frustrating. Maybe I don't know how to operate one, but I never could see how anybody could be as consistent off of a lead sled as they are off of bags. I just can't get comfortable with one.

And I've seen inconsistency problems observing others at the range, sort of what Flintlocke mentioned above.
Posted By: memtb Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
No! At only 60 ft/lbs recoil, it doesn’t seem to be a necessity! 😁 memtb
Posted By: goalie Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

🙄

A lead sled kept me shooting through '08 to '10 while my rotator cuff wes torn and while I healed from the surgery. I have not used it In ten years. But it was a treasure when I needed it.

I just shot the other way when I had my shoulder surgeries.

😉
JFC…..
LMAO!
Posted By: DaveR Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
No lead sled, but have something very similar to this for checking loads and sighting in.

[Linked Image from gun.deals]

Works out great. Moves with the rifle, and adds just enough to take the sting out of extended periods from the bench.
Posted By: hanco Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
It’s handy when you are shooting a bunch of rifles in. I use no weight. When I get rifle on, I use a rest and bags to double check.
Posted By: ribka Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by wink_man
Well, I'm ready to get flamed, but I have been using one for years and love it.

The haters will tell you they are no good and break stocks because they are so rigid, especially if you add weight to the sled.

I bought mine, padded it, use NO additional weight shoot and some heavier recoil guns like 12 gauge slug guns and I'm still waiting for my first broken stock.

I have one of the original lead sleds, and it weighs 17 pounds. If you use it on a smooth surface it will slide at the shot into your shoulder, hence no solid rigidity. I am in effect add 17 pounds to the weight of the gun and can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day in a t-shirt.
Here is how I padded it.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

do you take it up in your tree stand?

An 87 yard shot can be challenging g with a 7mm or 30 06
Posted By: slumlord Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I use a wire spool

😃
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Yes, I got one for christmas a while back. It makes sighting in easy....setup your rifle in the sled and aim - shoot - and dial your scope to the hole = one shot sighting in.

Whoteewho uses them alot in his videos and he's a pretty good shot and gets a good cheek weld.
Posted By: Steve Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
If you're ever trying to work up a load for a 458 Lott you'll love one. Just don't weight it down too much.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I use one all the time with no weight added.I have no problem with a cheek weld as I have long arms.I also shoot about 200 rounds at a session of every thing from 300 Wins to 6MM CM.I shoot two to three times a week.I also do a lot of off hand and prone shooting at gongs.
Ya all talk sand bags. do you make them or buy them?
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Me, I cut the lower legs off old work pants, sew or gorilla glue one end, fill, tie the open end with twine. Denim and Carhartt works ok.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I used to drive a '76 Lincoln Continental. Does that count?
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I used to drive a '76 Lincoln Continental. Does that count?

Huggy Bear??

That you ?
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Mine was baby blue with navy leather - acres of navy leather and the best AC in the world - so cold that frost would form on the metal vents. I could burn rubber for about a block in that thing and I despoiled many a young lass in the back seat. + I'm not a negro.
Diamond in the back

Sunroof top
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I use a DHT2 when zeroing in. Anyone that thinks they soak up a lot of recoil isn't using one. They are on three legs with rounded feet and the thing slides back under recoil. I have to reposition it after nearly every shot. The advantage over bags is that you can virtually eliminate any movement at all when zeroing in.
Posted By: kelbro Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Yes, my wife, daughter, sister, aunt, niece and mother all use one.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Me, I cut the lower legs off old work pants, sew or gorilla glue one end, fill, tie the open end with twine. Denim and Carhartt works ok.

This. Have 6. Except I put the sand in a 1 gallon zip lock before putting in the denim. Mebbe have $5 invested in all 6.
I fill gallon zip lock bags with dried chainsaw chips, stuff them in empty shot bags, then zip tie the open end shut. Stack them as you like under the forend and butt. Nice and light as well. With lots of use, the chips will deteriorate some, but are easy to replace. If shooting a hard kicker, put a partially filled bag behind the butt. I use them when shooting my handguns as well. Throw a piece of leather over the front bags of you're shooting a magnum revolver...
Posted By: LRoyJetson Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
No, practice how you play.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I saw a guy using a Lead Sled fire his expensive 30-06 in it, and the recoil broke his stock clean off at the pistol grip.

He was not a happy guy. Burl wood. Probably had a brittle spot...
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
That’s the height of DUMBASSISM using one of those fuggin things! Proof that the majority of idiots know nothing about marksmanship!
Posted By: comerade Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Not..
.shooting from benchrest is a skill and needs to be practiced. Even during load development.
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
Ya all talk sand bags. do you make them or buy them?

I made a bunch of them out of off jeans. Built a shelf at the range. Also made some scrap wood front rests to put a bag on.

They're always there for members to use.
Posted By: Crusader Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Yes. I have one of the original models, have been using it for 20 years or so for many different rifles and a ML. I add maybe 10 pounds of weight. Has worked just fine, hasn't damaged any rifles, and no, it doesn't cause me any issues with flinching or anything else when shooting at game. For me it's just a very convenient way to get a rock solid rest that is very helpful, especially when doing load development. Everyone has an opinion on these things and I don't believe there's a wrong or a right one. To each, his own....
Posted By: tzone Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
It would appear everyone at the range but me uses one.
Originally Posted by tzone

Minnetonka Fish and Game was lead-sled central Tuesday evening.

At least 5 of 'em.
Posted By: NE_Hunter Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Had one, got rid of it. Too much bother. Bags work fine off the bench.
Posted By: Osky Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21

At least 5 of 'em.

The good news is at least people are at the range getting some shooting time in, no matter what they do or don’t use.

Osky
Originally Posted by Osky

At least 5 of 'em.

The good news is at least people are at the range getting some shooting time in, no matter what they do or don’t use.

Osky

Oh hell yeah.

Sighting in and confirmed zero shouldn't be optional or an afterthought.

Respect the animal(s) you're hunting
Posted By: jdunham Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Whatever makes you happy basically. I don’t use one, but did try a buddies once. Not for me and I will stick with my sandbags and Hart rest, but if it gets you to the range or the shooting bench then buy one.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
That’s the height of DUMBASSISM using one of those fuggin things! Proof that the majority of idiots know nothing about marksmanship!

If anybody were aware of Sharpsman's shooting credentials, he'd realize that this is much more than a smartass remark. I've had the privilege of shooting with him on his personal range, and I've seen his trophy room.

Read and heed.
Posted By: SKane Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

So, that's a no, eeeerrrrr?
Posted By: Raeford Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I use a cheapo Caldwell Matrix or sandbags, whichever is easiest to get out-the-door and on table at the moment I need it.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
Yes, I don’t put weight in it. Works well.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
seen alot of scopes being taking out of service because of them
Posted By: rem141r Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
i had a 72 buick electra 225.
Posted By: hanco Re: Anyone use a Lead Sled - 10/21/21
I make bags out of lead shot bags.
© 24hourcampfire