Home
Posted By: dale06 Gluing canvas - 01/09/22

What kind/brand of glue should I use to glue two pieces of canvas together.
Need to repair a hunting blind that has a rip in it. I plan to lay a patch much larger than the 8” rip over the rip.
Thanks
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
E6000. I did a boat tarp that separated on every seam. Better after the glue than before.
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
I always glued then speed stitched a patch then aquasealed the stitching , but that was way before utube and the internet out in the boonies!
Posted By: skeen Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Is this just like an Ameristep pop-up blind or similar?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Rubber cement.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Aqua Seal
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
E6000 is good.

Barge cement WITH TOLUENE is the gold standard.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by skeen
Is this just like an Ameristep pop-up blind or similar?

Yes it is
Posted By: lochsa Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Exterior latex paint. Apply paint to the patch and ripped area, let it tack up then apply the patch. Paint over it to seal
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Originally Posted by dale06

What kind/brand of glue should I use to glue two pieces of canvas together.
Need to repair a hunting blind that has a rip in it. I plan to lay a patch much larger than the 8” rip over the rip.
Thanks

If you rather not go the thread/ needle route, there's lots of options IMHO. Anything from Eclectic Products will work in weather. The chemist tells me that for exterior use, go with the Marine Goop since it has a UV protectant added. If it's available in your store, I'd go with that since it's only going to be .50 cents difference in price.

Also, Any of the rubberized caulking tubes will work very well and has UV additive. There will be plenty left over for gutter seams or household repairs too.
Posted By: Thunder_child Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
We have used this on our canvas wall tents. Works well. https://www.murdochs.com/products/p...-mender-instant-fabric-leather-adhesive/
Posted By: WildWest Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
I have used this on my tents. It does yellow with age. it is very fast to set up.
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
We have used this on our canvas wall tents. Works well. https://www.murdochs.com/products/p...-mender-instant-fabric-leather-adhesive/
Posted By: dale06 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
I would recommend that you use S-18. Its the best adhesive/contact cement I've used for canvas. I had an old Boy Scout wall tent that had several holes and rips, which was easily repaired with S-18:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Before repair - cleaned with paint thinner:

After repair:

Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
That dog'll hunt!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Most every small town hardware store had a canvas repair shop.
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Pliobond will get it done
Posted By: stantdm Re: Gluing canvas - 01/09/22
Tear Mender brand adhesive works well on cotton canvas or any material that is porous.
Posted By: deer1 Re: Gluing canvas - 01/10/22
I use E6000 for most everything.
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Gluing canvas - 01/10/22
Duct tape has always worked for me. Tends to dry out after 10 years or so, though.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Gluing canvas - 01/10/22
Tear Mender.I have glued canvas stove jacks in with it , patch holes in wranglers, patch holes in i.Never had it come loose.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Gluing canvas - 01/10/22
I use 3M 5200 as a "repair material" for many things. Glues to ANYTHING and is crazy strong. CRAZY STRONG.

Ever "rubberized" a 1997 Dodge 3500 Cummins... You can throw rocks at the truck now.

Rubberized 1997 Dodge 3500

Fix canvas? Hell yes, but the repair may not be as pretty as you hope.

Good luck
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Gluing canvas - 01/10/22
E6000 its the best "glue" to use for any repairs....been using it for years.....
© 24hourcampfire