Home
Posted By: 5sdad Hockey Question - 02/09/22
Exactly what constitutes a goal? On Sports Center, they were celebrating a save where the goalie gloved the puck while it was in the air and well within the confines of the net, so obviously there is not a magical, invisible, perpendicular line as in football. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
There is a line on the ice. If the puck crosses that line completely, it's a goal.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by SuperCub
There is a line on the ice. If the puck crosses that line completely, it's a goal.

So, this should have been a goal?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
I'd think so.
Posted By: acy Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by 5sdad

If it crossed the line, either in the air or on the ice, yes.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
If the puck is in the goalies glove and it's behind the line that is a goal.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
If the puck is in the goalies glove and it's behind the line that is a goal.

With irrefutable video evidence. There is a camera in the goal and one directly overhead. If the puck can clearly be seen over the line it is a good goal.
Posted By: GrizzlyKid Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
From your description, it should have been a goal. I've refereed hockey for over thirty years, many of those in the professional hockey world. It's a tough, thankless job.
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Hockey Question - 02/09/22
What game?
Posted By: granitestate1 Re: Hockey Question - 02/10/22
Not as much anymore but for the longest time the Bruins and the Canadians had one of the biggest rivalries in sports.
Well it was well known that Wayne Cashman would go out to the local bars after a game and being the heavy drinker that he was,
there was allways trouble and fights, he would get hauled into the station and wait for someone to come get him. On this night a guy shows up
at the station and yells large peporoni for Wayne Cashman he used his one phone call to order a pizza LOL aperantly he did that often.

Dean
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Hockey Question - 02/10/22
Light the lamp!

Sounds like the zebras missed one.
Posted By: goalie Re: Hockey Question - 02/10/22
You can catch the puck behind the goal line and look really cool, but it's still a goal, because the puck crossed the line.
Posted By: 673 Re: Hockey Question - 02/10/22
Yawn, wake me up when there is a fight.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Hockey Question - 02/10/22
Originally Posted by acy

If it crossed the line, either in the air or on the ice, yes.

Break the plane of the goal, its in the hole.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hockey Question - 02/12/22
Technically yes but it all falls on the refs.

Daughter bounced one off the post and into the net this morning. Ref called it dead. He had to reach into the net to get the puck. No whistle before the play. Even the other team thought it was a score.

2nd time this year it happened to her
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Past the line is a goal, watch a game earlier this year when a player flipped the puck from behind the net and the puck went into the back of the goalie's jersey and the goalie backed into the net not knowing where the puck was, goal.
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22

Absolutely.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Look up, "The Call", First base umpire simply blew the call in the 85 series.

Officials are human.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
If the puck went into the glove, the glove closed on the puck, one could no longer ‘see’ the puck in the glove, and this happened at or in front of the goal line; and then part of the glove continued into the net beyond the line, but not ALL of the glove, then, it cannot be determined that the puck inside the glove crossed the line, and whatever call was made on the ice in real-time (no goal, presumably) would stand.
If I remember correctly also, it is NOT like football where ‘the plane’ merely needs to be broken. It’s the reverse - the majority or entirety of the puck must cross the plane.
Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
In tonight's game a kid took a shot that had heat on it. Into the net and back out. No metal hit, just net. No goal
Yes. The ref need to SEE, or otherwise be presented with irrefutable video, of THE PUCK IN WHOLE behind the line/INSIDE the net area. Otherwise, it is not a goal, sir.
I know, still frustrating and my daughter's level theirs no video. Oh well we still won 5-1.
Posted By: goalie Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Yeah, in the real world, there's no cameras.

As one ref said to the other team at nationals in Tampa a few years ago: "if you want it to be a goal, don't hit his glove, hit the back of the net"
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
In tonight's game a kid took a shot that had heat on it. Into the net and back out. No metal hit, just net. No goal

Well, that’s just horseschitt. Back to human error. But that’s rare example.

No replay on that???
Hockey moves really fast. Kinda like how northerners speak. Sometimes it’s lost on those not accustomed to watching or playing the sport.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

Well, that’s just horseschitt. Back to human error. But that’s rare example.

No replay on that???

We are a 12U League. No replay. Even the other team groaned when it went in but then cheered when no whistle. They knew but that's the way it goes sometimes. Refs. Are the deciders, at our level atleast.

Semi finals in the morning so no use looking back.
Refs have gone down hill in the last couple of years, atleast here in MI. Their are very few. Most are burnt out. Last year we had our Zamboni driver, who was working at his certification suit up cuz otherwise the game would be called. He just signed like a doctor👍
The beauty of hockey, or part of it, is the Samurai Code. Something the groids will never understand or respect. Your girl and her teammates can always….. ‘knuckle up’…. In the next game, if an egregious error in play-calling or goal-scoring was made. It’s called ‘self- policing’, and part of why hockey is still the greatest sport on earth. I would support my girl to the fullest in this endeavor. Good luck to you and yours. May she bask in the glory of victory. Truly.
Thanks. She won state championship last year. She had the winning goal in division to get her team to state.

Crap like today pisses them off and usually pushes them harder. We will see, semi finals in the morning
Indeed. God bless her.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Exactly what constitutes a goal? On Sports Center, they were celebrating a save where the goalie gloved the puck while it was in the air and well within the confines of the net, so obviously there is not a magical, invisible, perpendicular line as in football. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by granitestate1
What game?

You've gotten the correct answer, it would seem from many here. Including from a guy with the handle of "goalie"

I'm interested in what game also? Was there a goal judge, which they used to have at many minor league and all WHA/NHL games in the "olden days" before video. Sat behind the net and therefor had a better view of things than a referee might, depending on circumstances.

And as others mentioned, if it's in the glove and the whole glove is completely over the goal line, then it's a goal. If it's in the glove, but not visible, and part of the glove hasn't crossed the goal line, then the ref might not call it a goal as it would be inconclusive that the whole of the puck crossed the whole of the line.

The really important thing here though.............................it was HOCKEY............................not some other deal like baseball or football or tennis or even worse.............................golf wink
When I was at UMaine Orono as a freshman, we had a girl in our dorm who I guess was potentially the best female hockey player in the country, if not The World. She was something else. I felt bad for her that she had no future in the sport, for the money. But, she sure as hell had a free ride education. Maybe not the best university, certainly not the worst. And I know she came from very meager financial means, to put it gently.
When I was at UMaine Orono as a freshman, we had a girl in our dorm who I guess was potentially the best female hockey player in the country, if not The World. She was something else. I felt bad for her that she had no future in the sport, for the money. But, she sure as hell had a free ride education. Maybe not the best university, certainly not the worst. And I know she came from very meager financial means, to put it gently.

What was her name?

I've played against the women's Olympic team in an exhibition game, so I've been "undressed" by a few women on the ice......
Originally Posted by goalie

What was her name?

I've played against the women's Olympic team in an exhibition game, so I've been "undressed" by a few women on the ice......

Dude, I wish I could remember. That was like 1990 or 91. And I fer damn shur was trying to chase hotter azz. Lol. Not much of that up in that place. I just remember her because she lived in my floor, and was in the papers everyday. And when I joined a fraternity later with some other Maine boy baseball players in it (the ball teams were good back then too) they all revered her in a way that one would not expect. Not at all.
Paul Kariya era too. The Mens hit the National title my senior year.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
If the puck went into the glove, the glove closed on the puck, one could no longer ‘see’ the puck in the glove, and this happened at or in front of the goal line; and then part of the glove continued into the net beyond the line, but not ALL of the glove, then, it cannot be determined that the puck inside the glove crossed the line, and whatever call was made on the ice in real-time (no goal, presumably) would stand.

Mr Harry knows his stuff!
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
The three blind mice have been slacking all around, was at a Kzoo Wings game weds night, I heard a call I have never heard before, gloving the puck. Player, caught it from head height, and dropped it to the ice, and they made that call? Any time someone looks like they are going to throw a punch, the refs jump in between and stop it now... What the heck.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Yes, you can not close your hand on the puck.
Happens all the time
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Yes, you can not close your hand on the puck.

Actually, I can.

And the other goalie.

😁
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Hockey Question - 02/13/22
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Look up, "The Call", First base umpire simply blew the call in the 85 series.

Officials are human.

Some of us here in St. Louis are still bitter about that one.
Some refs are just bad. We found 2 this morning...lol
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Hockey Question - 02/14/22
If I remember correctly also, it is NOT like football where ‘the plane’ merely needs to be broken. It’s the reverse - the majority or entirety of the puck must cross the plane.

Yes puck has to be completely across the line.
© 24hourcampfire