Home
Friend or foe?

[Linked Image]
Good insect, part of the assassin bug family. Feeds on other insects.
Originally Posted by gabo94
Damn! Now I wish I didn't flush him down the toilet.
Jeepers dude, does that thing look like a vegan? LOL
stink bug
Originally Posted by strikeu
stink bug
Pretty big for a stink bug. I'm no expert, though. You sure?
Assassin beetle.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Dang, you grow tomatoes in your bathroom? That is awesome.
Big footed bug.
Originally Posted by mulenbucks
Big footed bug.

A water strider. Their evolutionary adaptation that helps them survive is, they're extremely difficult to flush down toilets.
It has a 💀 on its butt

Better go flush twice.

That thing climbs up the sidea the terlet and latches onta you, you're gonna have a hole in the bathroom ceiling.
I kill them things. They are in the same family of vermin that carries sleeping sickness aka kiss of death. They slip and bite you typically around the lips while you are sleeping. Of course that is the African variety that carries it but what with all the other PLAGUES we have here now thanks to worldwide exchanges, Im not taking any chances.
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
I kill them things. They are in the same family of vermin that carries sleeping sickness aka kiss of death. They slip and bite you typically around the lips while you are sleeping. Of course that is the African variety that carries it but what with all the other PLAGUES we have here now thanks to worldwide exchanges, Im not taking any chances.
South America and Mexico, we have them in south tx,

https://kissingbug.tamu.edu/

e are a team of scientists at Texas A&M University. Our kissing bug community science program started in 2012. Since then, almost 1,500 people have sent us over 7,000 kissing bugs for scientific research. About 55% of the kissing bugs are infected with the parasite, Trypanosoma cruzi, that causes Chagas disease. We hope this website will help you learn about Chagas disease and kissing bugs. If you are interested in more technical resources, visit our resource page. If you have questions, submit them to our team on this page.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Better go flush twice.

That thing climbs up the sidea the terlet and latches onta you, you're gonna have a hole in the bathroom ceiling.
She's raising a brood in the top curve of the toilet. When she comes out. She'll be backed by an army of 1000's.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
South America and Mexico, we have them in south tx,

https://kissingbug.tamu.edu/

e are a team of scientists at Texas A&M University. Our kissing bug community science program started in 2012. Since then, almost 1,500 people have sent us over 7,000 kissing bugs for scientific research. About 55% of the kissing bugs are infected with the parasite, Trypanosoma cruzi, that causes Chagas disease. We hope this website will help you learn about Chagas disease and kissing bugs. If you are interested in more technical resources, visit our resource page. If you have questions, submit them to our team on this page.

I got eaten up by a few of those in Tucson one night. Didn’t come down with any weird diseases though.
We have a very wide range of opinions on what it is. Not very helpful.
We have a very wide range of opinions on what it is. Not very helpful.

I got yer helpful right here.

Next time ya see one, grab it in yer bare hand, and shake it for a few seconds.

Won't be no doubt after that.
Hopefully this will help: This is not even close to an assassin or kissing bug. It is a plant sap feeding Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae. I won't bother you with scientific names....you can google them but they all do the same damage. Not a terrible pest unless in high numbers. If you see several or begin to see egg masses then control measures are in order.

Me....an entomologist in a former life.
I did a search for assassin bug and saw hundreds of photos. There are many species of them. This photo is the only one I saw with those hind legs and the long antennae.

[Linked Image from freerangestock.com]
Hopefully this will help: This is not even close to an assassin or kissing bug. It is a plant sap feeding Leaf Footed Bug in the family Coreidae. I won't bother you with scientific names....you can google them but they all do the same damage. Not a terrible pest unless in high numbers. If you see several or begin to see egg masses then control measures are in order.

Originally Posted by Caplock

Cool. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I did a search for assassin bug and saw hundreds of photos. There are many species of them. This photo is the only one I saw with those hind legs and the long antennae.

Mine is missing that killer proboscis.
Oderus Urungus

lol
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Mine is missing that killer proboscis.

This is not an assassin bug (Reduiviidae)...its a Coreid , the same family as Squash Bug. Search for Leaf Footed Bug
Originally Posted by Caplock

Yep. You got it right. I had better go out and inspect for more before one lays some eggs. My chickens inspect all around my tomato patch each evening before going to roost, so hopefully, they will snatch some if they see any.

I got a plant ID app. There is probably one for insects. Have you looked?
Originally Posted by TooOldToCare
I got a plant ID app. There is probably one for insects. Have you looked?
Mystery is now solved, but thanks for the suggestion.
I wouldn't depend on birds or amphibian help in controlling them as they emit a noxious fluid when disturbed and most critters avoid them.
Stink bug. We got invaded by them 8 years ago and now they are all over the place.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Oderus Urungus

lol
Anything like Oderis Uranus?
It appears to be in the family Coreidae. That makes it a leaf footed bug and not an assassin bug.
Yep stink bug, they will bite your tomatoes and leave those yellow splotches all over them. The best part about them is when you squish em in your hand it will give ya the stink finger!
Originally Posted by BeanMan
It appears to be in the family Coreidae. That makes it a leaf footed bug and not an assassin bug.
Thanks. Makes sense you'd know it by sight.
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Yep stink bug, they will bite your tomatoes and leave those yellow splotches all over them. The best part about them is when you squish em in your hand it will give ya the stink finger!
Related to the stink bug, but these apparently aren't quite as hard on the tomatoes, and seem to focus on the leaves, although they too might punch holes in a tomato. All my tomatoes look really good at the present, and I hope to keep it that way till I can collect them all.
A democrat
Originally Posted by hanco
A democrat
LOL. Essentially, yes. They share an MO.
© 24hourcampfire