Home
Posted By: Blu_Cs Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Gents:

Pursuing an upgraded LEO gig in a different state from my last one, but need to lose 40 lbs in 60 days. That and pass the PAT (which I aced a couple years ago).

Other than starve, any suggestions? I'm motivated: This is a plan A item for me with no desirable alternatives. I have discipline, so with a good plan can execute.

Recommendations?
Posted By: JeffA Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Get off the internet?
Exercise. Paleo diet.
No Sugar ..
I lost about that much weight in about that timeframe by dropping refined carbs from my diet. No bread, pasta, etc., but carbs in vegetables were fine. I lost a lot of weight and was way more energetic. Since that time (about 5 years ago) I've stuck to this way of eating and have held steady with the weight. Every so often I crave bread, but it's really not a hard thing to maintain.
Get your diet in order. Eat things that won’t spike your blood sugar. You’ll have to be at a calorie deficit. Weight train large muscle groups to keep your basal metabolic rate up.
protein and water . If I go on a 90% protein ( fish , beef, chicken ETC) diet and some milk , I loose weight the fastest.
Keto and intermittent fasting. Do cardio in the morning before you eat. Nothing crazy, just walking is fine. If you stick to the diet and IM fasting (no cheat days, none) you will lose the weight.
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Get your diet in order. Eat things that won’t spike your blood sugar. You’ll have to be at a calorie deficit. Weight train large muscle groups to keep your basal metabolic rate up.

Good plan ☝🏽

🦫
Posted By: ribka Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by JeffA
Get off the internet?

ha

Start intermittent fasting. Keto. or very low carb. No fruits ( some berries ok), no breads, no pasta, no sugars. drink only water NO ALCOHOL

greens and protein

Get some electrolytes to mix in water to avoid Keto flu

do HIT training.

I did the same before going to the academy. Actually gained strength lost 45 lbs and body fat around 4 per cent. It sucked but doable

get a lot of sleep
Get a kidney removed.
Eat for performance not for taste. Keto diet possibly. Military used to do a cabbage soup for recruits that couldn't make weight?
I don't recall how to make it but its all you ate. Exercise, do more cardio than weights.
High protein, low carbs. Water, vitamin and protein supplements and exercise….a lot of exercise. 40 pounds is a lot to lose in 2 months. In people that lose that much in a short period it’s usually because they had gastric surgery. I’m certainly not suggesting gastric surgery 😁 but emulating their diet would do the same. There are plenty of gastric surgical websites that you can access menus and diet recommendations. Exercise will be crucial too.

I’m sure you’ll do great and I wish you the best of luck. 👍
6 pack abs made in the kitchen, not the gym. 500-600 calorie deficit a day. Easily attainable by one meal a day and heavy weights 3 days per week and hard cardio (not walking) 2 days per week.

I don't know where you start, but that's a big goal.
Get a laig cut off? frown
Calorie deficit, low carbs, only drink water (easy to amass calories from liquids)

Why do you need to lose 40lbs? Bmi?
Meth? Those folks always seem skinny
Lots of coffee, tea and water to cut hunger pains. Grapefruit.
Crash low carb diet.
Nothing else compares.
Originally Posted by gunchamp

You'd actually be surprised how many fatty methheads there are...
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54
Get a kidney removed.

Or 2
Posted By: RickF Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Consult a dietician.
Ditch the carbs, hit the stair master.
High protein, exercise, lots of water
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Good plan ☝🏽

🦫

This and cut out all grains, sugars, and especially all seed oils.

If you are serious go full blown carnivore. Eat once a day. One ingredient foods. Lots of steak, fats, butter, bacon, eggs, etc. Exercise. You will be amazed at how fast you can lose weight. It is hard to wrap your mind around it but you have to eat fat to lose fat. Since March I have loss 32 pounds. I am 6-3 and never thought I would see the 190s again.
Dietician….pfft

You’ll end up gaining weight with all their “you need to eat 6 smaller meals all day long, to keep your metabolism burning like a fire”

Hahaha, they are full of shît like most MD people
Originally Posted by gunchamp

If his new job is Supervisor of the Evidence Room.

That could be a win-win.

Lol

🦫
Checkout the diet doctor website.
You gonna die!
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Good plan ☝🏽

🦫

This and cut out all grains, sugars, and especially all seed oils.

If you are serious go full blown carnivore. Eat once a day. One ingredient foods. Lots of steak, fats, butter, bacon, eggs, etc. Exercise. You will be amazed at how fast you can lose weight. It is hard to wrap your mind around it but you have to eat fat to lose fat. Since March I have loss 32 pounds. I am 6-3 and never thought I would see the 190s again.

Good work!

🦫👍🏼
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
1200 calories a day.
Walk or run if you can. Water, water, water.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dietician….pfft

You’ll end up gaining weight with all their “you need to eat 6 smaller meals all day long, to keep your metabolism burning like a fire”

Hahaha, they are full of shît like most MD people

This. If you look at the human digestive system and compare it to other animals, none of the animals with similar systems eat frequently.

If we ate things that were in season vs what we preserve, we wouldn’t have but a small window to eat carb-dense food. When is that? Right before winter. Put on weight before winter….sounds familiar!
Rather than lose weight just tell them you aren't fat, you've never even seen a fat person, and all this stuff about there being a lot of fat people is lies.

If they try to make you get on a scale tell them scales are made by the government and you don't trust them.
Posted By: dvnv Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Google the fast metabolism diet, pain in the ass to do it, but it works as advertised
Keep us updated on your progress, I could stand to lose 40lbs!!!
Stay out of the Waffle House and Dunkin Donuts, do your job for 60 straight days. Put a bunch of meth heads in jail.
40 in 60 is totally doable.
I've lost 20 lbs in 21 days. The losses will slow down now that I got a jump start. First big hunt is Sept 17. Another out of stater in October for mule deer.
Another 20 lbs and I'll be right where I wanna be for hiking the mountains. Really have got into rucking this past few weeks.
You can do it man! Just gotta focus in on what's important to you.
Is amputation an option? Good size leg is easily 40-60 lbs.

Seriously, move around more and eat less. 1000-1200 calories intake a day and 1.5 hrs on a stationary bike will do it. Basically put yourself in a negative 1500 calorie per day situation, and you’ll loose 0.75 lb per day. If you fall behind, the last 10 lbs you can take off in water weight if necessary to meet weight.

Ive heard good things about the SOTA weight loss diet if you want something formal.

Depending on your age, rapid weight loss of that amount can cause long term heart and liver issues. Be careful.

What’s your starting weight, height and body fat %? Going from 300 lbs with 35% body fat to 260 lbs is a hell of a lot easier than going from 180 to 140.
Posted By: MAC Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Cut out carbs and sugars, drink nothing but water and walk/run 5 miles a day. You'll drop the weight.
[Linked Image from memegenerator.net]
Oh boy. This is going to be good.

Best of luck to the op.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Oh boy. This is going to be good.

Best of luck to the op.

🤣🤣🤣

I'm.a fat fuqking pig and I need advice from the Fire. 😁
Good luck. I lost 30 lbs since covid hit while most folks gained weight. I did it just my adjusting my diet some and doing a lot of walking when I could. What's your age and what's your current weight? I would only ask you if you were a guy and would never ask you were of their of the fairer sex.
Lotta fat related threads past couple of days.
🥴🥴😄😄😄
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
need to lose 40 lbs ......................

" I have discipline,"

Doesnt sound like you do
Originally Posted by Stammster

Seriously, move around more and eat less. 1000-1200 calories intake a day and 1.5 hrs on a stationary bike will do it. Basically put yourself in a negative 1500 calorie per day situation, and you’ll loose 0.75 lb per day. If you fall behind, the last 10 lbs you can take off in water weight if necessary to meet weight.

Ive heard good things about the SOTA weight loss diet if you want something formal.

Depending on your age, rapid weight loss of that amount can cause long term heart and liver issues. Be careful.

What’s your starting weight, height and body fat %? Going from 300 lbs with 35% body fat to 260 lbs is a hell of a lot easier than going from 180 to 140.

Are you sure about your math? I think a 1500 calorie daily deficit would leave him pretty short of his goal. Although I could be wrong. Thanks - tnscouter
I have always though losing one pound a week was healthy Always heard that if you lose weight fast, you will gain it back fast
Posted By: DMc Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Get out of law enforcement. Leave it to the gestapo.
I've lost 85 # since Jan. No breakfast,just coffee,black. No lunch,water with Braggs apple cider vinegar and half a lemon in it,Dinner is a piece of chicken,fish,steak,and about 2 lbs. Of steamed vegtables with lemon juice on them,black pepper,no salt,no carbs,no sugar,no snacks, no nothing.
No bread,butter or pasta,etc. For dessert,i have non dairy yogurt with fruit.
I walk 3 miles a day,walk slow,walk fast,break it up,get your heart pumping,come home,do some sit ups,some push ups,3 sets each of however many you can do comfortably to start.That s it.No days off.
I think it’s virtually impossible and still have enough energy to pass a physical fitness test.
Posted By: NoDak Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Eat my wifes cooking.😎
Originally Posted by tnscouter

Are you sure about your math? I think a 1500 calorie daily deficit would leave him pretty short of his goal. Although I could be wrong. Thanks - tnscouter

Good catch. 3500 cal = 1lb. I meant to say 2500 cal.
Originally Posted by renegade50
Lotta fat related threads past couple of days.
🥴🥴😄😄😄
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
What agency was it, that was recently hiring people? whistle
Posted By: jc189 Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by superlight17b
I've lost 85 # since Jan. No breakfast,just coffee,black. No lunch,water with Braggs apple cider vinegar and half a lemon in it,Dinner is a piece of chicken,fish,steak,and about 2 lbs. Of steamed vegtables with lemon juice on them,black pepper,no salt,no carbs,no sugar,no snacks, no nothing.
I walk 3 miles a day,walk slow,walk fast,break it up,get your heart pumping,come home,do some sit ups,some push ups,3 sets each of however many you can do comfortably to start.That s it.No days off.

If you are serious about loosing a lot of weight fast do this^^^
If you can eat just one meal a day you can achieve your goal. No counting calories or weighing fat grams. Just one big healthy meal a day. It WORKS. NO CHEATING. Youtube OMAD, stands for one meal a day. The feeling of being hungry will pass and you will be good. I lost 80lbs doing this 2 years ago. and kept the weight ever since. Its tough to do, but once you loose the weight its easy to maintain. I now eat lunch and dinner, Healthy food but plenty of it and I never feel hungry. the key is no snacking on any junk. No snacking at all. Good Luck.

check this out
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
High protein, low carbs. Water, vitamin and protein supplements and exercise….a lot of exercise. 40 pounds is a lot to lose in 2 months. In people that lose that much in a short period it’s usually because they had gastric surgery. I’m certainly not suggesting gastric surgery 😁 but emulating their diet would do the same. There are plenty of gastric surgical websites that you can access menus and diet recommendations. Exercise will be crucial too.

I’m sure you’ll do great and I wish you the best of luck. 👍

This! Look for the liver cleanse diet they have you do before gastric sleeve surgery. It's only about 800 cals per day and would be very hard to do long term. I lost 15 pounds my first 2 weeks on it. It cleans things out and helps you lower your blood sugars and glycogen in the liver and helps you retain less water. Two months would be tough mentally but it's an achievable goal in a must do situation.

I once had to loose some weight fast and did the lemonade cleanse where I had nothing for 21 days but a lemonade made from fresh lemons and grade b maple syrup. I dropped the 20 pounds on time but it came back quickly.

I was down 76 pounds since November but have gained about 10 back the last few months between vacations, a good battle with covid, and just general diet burn out. I need to get back on the wagon and loose another 40 by November.

I've had good luck in the past with interment fasting and the old original LA weightloss plan before they started pushing their own pre made food. I carried around a little book and marked off the number of each food group I ate each day and glasses of water. I felt really healthy after a few months of that but it was hard to eat 5 servings of veggies a away and 4 servings of fruit with only 3 of carbs 2 of fat and 4 of protein. It seamed like a ton of food but it was good natural fresh cooked or raw. Made me realize how poorly I'd usually eaten but I lost 50 pounds overall in 4 months while adding 16 pounds of muscle.

If I had to do it in a hurry the pre baritric surgery liver cleanse and some intermittent fasting is what I'd try. And drink lots a water.

Bb
Try the Haylie Pomroy, Fast Metabolism Diet book. Lose 20 pounds in 28 days and then repeat until you have met your goal. I lost 50 pounds in under 3 months several years back following her plan.
[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.ca]
Originally Posted by Remsen
I lost about that much weight in about that timeframe by dropping refined carbs from my diet. No bread, pasta, etc., but carbs in vegetables were fine. I lost a lot of weight and was way more energetic. Since that time (about 5 years ago) I've stuck to this way of eating and have held steady with the weight. Every so often I crave bread, but it's really not a hard thing to maintain.
What?

NO marbled rye?
Do you really need both legs? No seriously, keto diet, about 1500 calories a day, not a single calorie after 4pm, a gallon of water a day, an hour of decent exercise a day, and sleep at least 8 hours a night at the same time every day.
Originally Posted by superlight17b
You will be superlight!
Yep, eliminating all carbs will easily do this. No starches taters, rice, no grains, and cut the sugar out completely as well. Get on a one meal per day plan as the fasting accelerates weight/lard ass loss.

Remember that carbs are carbs are carbs. Sugar is sugar is sugar. Your body cannot distinguish sugar or an carb from from fruit, veggies, or candy and soda. Fructose, glucose, sucrose it doesn't matter as it's all sugar and your liver and pancreas secrete insulin as an response to it.

You can eat plenty of meat and fat and veggies like broccoli cauliflower Brussel sprouts asparagus. Stuff like peas, corn, carrots, taters, shouldn't be consumed if you want to dump weight. Your body doesn't need any carb intake to have brain function as our bodies make enough sugars for function. The moat important number to count isn't calories it's actually carbs and the easy access to process foods and sugars. We don't need them but unfortunately doctors and dieticians are poorly educated on diet, diabetes and what fuels the body.
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
need to lose 40 lbs ......................

" I have discipline,"

Doesnt sound like you do

😬
Posted By: batch Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
A medicine named Ozempic can help. Not that much weight loss that fast, but it is a useful tool, in addition to previous advice.
When my SIL was in the army he had to loose a few pounds or get the boot. Those guys would take more than the directed amounts of laxatives days before weigh in. He never left the bathroom for awhile he said.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
keto will do it if you are dedicated, but in the time frame you are talking about, I'd also start walking 3-5 miles a day too

I lost 25 pound in 40 days on keto combined with walking and weight training starting back in April
You're gonna be hungry, but don't eat.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/16/22
keto lets you eat, but you have to load up on the right foods.
It is really a simple matter of calories in vs calories out. Don't eat till you are stuffed, only till you are satisfied. Don't eat late and go to bed.
I am in the process of dropping weight myself and these are some of the things I have done.
Other things are making choices like grilled vs fried, unsweet tea vs sweet tea, red meat only 2 times a week, more chicken, fish, and turkey.
I am down 25 lbs in since June but I am not trying to drop 40/60 days.
Oh and good luck
I'm currently down 40 lbs in the past 60 days, but I wouldn't recommend the method.
Cut the carbs. Weights and cardio at least 4 days a week.

Ron
Very strick Keto diet. Less that 30g of carbs a day. I lost a pound a day in 30 days.
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm currently down 40 lbs in the past 60 days, but I wouldn't recommend the method.

Monkey Pox?
KETO and go hang out with the hot moms at orange theory fitness 4x a week. I’ll rip off
Gents:

Pursuing an upgraded LEO gig in a different state from my last one, but need to lose 40 lbs in 60 days. That and pass the PAT (which I aced a couple years ago).

Other than starve, any suggestions? I'm motivated: This is a plan A item for me with no desirable alternatives. I have discipline, so with a good plan can execute.

Recommendations?

I haven't read the other responses, so this may be a repeat. And I don't know your age and height
Background on me: I have been (and are currently again - ranked in top 10 in the US in my events and age group) a competitive athlete, also MD, so I know both by experience and training.
In simple: to drop weight calories in need to be less than calories out.

Best way to do that is improve nutrition quality and muscle mass. Muscle will increase basic metabolic rate at rest.
Protein load should be about 40-50% of your intake, fats 30%, carbs 20ish... of course that is high quality fats and complex carbs.
You can choose how to combine them

What will truly melt the fat away is strength training, and I am not talking about wimpy dumbell reps. I am talking about squats, deadlifts, bench press, barbell rows, military press complex movements for large muscle groups.
3-4 Sets of 12-15 resp with 65-70% of your 1 rep max (you need to figure that out). If you do that conditioning for 4 weeks, and then increase weight and drop reps to increase intensity it will potentiate muscle development.

Since you know your target date plan could look like this (I recommend 3x week at least) should take 45min to 1h . Other days you can do some cardio : bike, jog, swim, heavy bag, HIIT, etc, keep heart rate 160s
4 weeks 4x12-15 reps 70% of 1RM (Squats, Bench, Rows, Deadlift - can add shoulder and other muscles + core work)
1 week 4x8 reps 80% of 1RM
1 week 4x4-6 reps 85% of 1RM
1 week 4x3-4 reps 85-90% of 1RM
1 week 4 sets with dropping reps (3-2-1-1) up to your max rep.
Fat will melt away, and more significantly in the last weeks when you increase the weightload and drop the reps.
Worst case scenario, dehydrate yourself the day of weight-in

Remember, muscle is built on the gym, but abs are made in the kitchen. If you weork your ass off in the gym, but don't eat healthy, you will look like a strongman, but may not get leaner and drop the weight you want.
Happy to answer PMs if you want.
No doughnuts for a while.........lol, good luck - hope you shed the lbs.

FWIW: My son is a Sheriff Patrol Deputy - and does not enjoy doughnut jokes either.
Keto...

Fat makes you less hungry, so its easier to eat less and keeps your blood sugar more stable.

Just eating less but with carbs, leaves you hungry and your blood sugar fluctuating constanlty which sucks (at least for me).

And like Sponxx said, weightlifting activating the largest muscle groups will burn most fat in the long run.
Forgot to add, the diet you choose should be something you can continue doing, otherwise weight will come back
Originally Posted by centershot
No doughnuts for a while.........lol, good luck - hope you shed the lbs.

FWIW: My son is a Sheriff Patrol Deputy - and does not enjoy doughnut jokes either.

Doughnut jokes never bothered me unless it was some A-hole trying to illicit a response. We never called them doughnuts. We called them
“Crime fighting power biscuits” 😂

Ron
Bag of raw spinach and a chicken breast for lunch, same for dinner. Water only. No breakfast , no snacks.
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Remsen
What?

NO marbled rye?

I'm such a bad stereotype. While I grew up eating hot dogs, corned beef and pastrami, I don't eat that stuff anymore. I like the taste, I just hate things that are packed with salt. Last year I was at a family gathering and all of the processed meats were there, I tried to eat a kosher hot dog (not attached to a person) and got through one bite before the salt overwhelmed me.
Everyone has an opinion. Some of them are good.
It's simple math. Put your body in a calorie deficit and work out daily to keep your metabolism running full speed. You are going to need a decent deficit to get to where you want to be.
In mid-June I decided to start eating healthier and ran across Dr Jason Fung's info on intermittent fasting. It made a ton of sense so I decided to give that technique a try (along with eating better food). My goal wasn't to loose weight quickly but I definitlely did. I weighed myself after 4 weeks and had lost 32 lbs. Initially I cut carbs but after listening to the "Whole 30" I have since started eating some fruit with my daily meal (berries, apple, bannana, etc.) as well. The crazy thing is I don't get hungry like I used to and feel I could go a lot longer between meals if I wanted or needed to do so. My memory and focus have improved a great deal as well which is a bonus!

I haven't weighed myself since but did lose another notch on the belt so I'm confident I've lost more weight since then. I was after a lifestyle change and not a number so I decided the only time I will step on a scale going forward will be when I visit my doctor for my yearly physical (which I have next week). Either way, I feel 100x better and am looking forward to seeing my progress for the 1st time in a long time!

This is definitely worth a watch if you're interested in getting healthy!
Check out Bright line Eating. Also weight watchers has a a pretty good regimen. Clean out your fridge and pantry of stuff you shouldn’t;t eat and you will get off to a good start. Anyone that lives with you should follow suit as well for their own health and most importantly support to you.
Fat fast , 1200 calorie per day .... in Atkins book from the late 90's
Blu C's: Drink lots of water and stay motivated.
Stand out in the cold at night with no clothes on - once you start shivering you are burning more calories than jogging - do this for as long as you can stand it!
Oh dang.... I see you live in Georgia.
Oh well forget that.
Good luck with the new job.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Check with your jurisdiction on pre-filling out info on your toe tag.
1.5#/day.

Not likely. Likely not healthy if you manage.
Originally Posted by benchman
You're gonna be hungry, but don't eat.

Originally Posted by pullit
... Don't eat till you are stuffed, only till you are satisfied....

I had to learn the difference between bored-hungry, and actually hungry. They are different. As are satisfied (no longer hungry) and stuffed.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Fat fast , 1200 calorie per day .... in Atkins book from the late 90's

Atkins works but partially because it is calculated malnutrition. After a point, I could not stand the constant lack of energy.

It will help you shed weight, for sure, but was not a long-term lifestyle for me.
Originally Posted by ironbender
1.5#/day.

Who said anything about 1.5 lbs per day?
Originally Posted by ribka
Get off the internet?

ha

Start intermittent fasting. Keto. or very low carb. No fruits ( some berries ok), no breads, no pasta, no sugars. drink only water NO ALCOHOL

Why no alcohol? Serious question... Trying to lose a few more pounds myself.
1.5#/day.

😂…..solid work my friend ….well thought out advice from the far north…..seriously, thanks and we’re definitely not joking. 😂
Lay off the booze.
If you can’t lose 40 lbs you don’t deserve the job. Life’s a competition.

First week. Work your ass off .

Week two. Work your ass off even more.

And on and on.

You got this!
40# in 60 isn’t horrible if you are really big. The more you weigh the more impressive weight loss you can claim

I would go strict Keto and cardio. Dehydrate yourself before weigh in.
.67 pounds per day.

Probably doable, but will take full effort and discipline.
If you lose 40 lbs in 60 days, you will be too weak to pass your physical obstacle course. I guranatee that.
1.5#/day.

Covid fog.
Get off the internet?

ha

greens and protein

Get some electrolytes to mix in water to avoid Keto flu

do HIT training.

I did the same before going to the academy. Actually gained strength lost 45 lbs and body fat around 4 per cent. It sucked but doable

get a lot of sleep

4% body fat???
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
1.5#/day.

Covid fog.
Yeah. Finally caught on to the error with Shane’s post.

Measure twice, etc.
Originally Posted by bobinpa
Get off the internet?

ha

Alcohol is simple carbs and sugar. It turns straight to fat. Beer is the worst.
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Forgot to add, the diet you choose should be something you can continue doing, otherwise weight will come back
This right here.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Get off the internet?

ha

Even whiskey?? I knew that about beer, but didn't think whiskey was the same..
Get off the internet?

ha

If you have to stop drinking whiskey to lose weight, I guess I’m not losing any weight anytime soon.
Gents:

Recommendations?

Do naked and afraid!!!!!
Originally Posted by Skatchewan
If you lose 40 lbs in 60 days, you will be too weak to pass your physical obstacle course. I guranatee that.

Maybe if he would just cut way back on calories and keep eating crap food but if he starts eating healthy food (meat and veggies) and exercising, he'll feel better and stronger than ever.
So just in case, what’s your plan B?
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Get off the internet?

ha

If you have to stop drinking whiskey to lose weight, I guess I’m not losing any weight anytime soon.

I lost 70lbs in an extremely short period of time...less than 6 months by holding to an extremely low carb diet.
I never gave up my Whiskey.
Hard liquor and light beer are bad on carbs like so many people think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]free photo upload
Yep. No sugar or carbs in hard liquor. I lost 40 pounds on keto, switched from beer and whiskey to whiskey and vodka with 0 carb mixer. Found an article that said alcohol can help put you in ketosis more quickly. Decided right then it was the diet for me. Bacon, whiskey, ribeyes and pork belly...best diet ever.
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

I'm not going into this with a Plan B in mind.

That said, everyone's comments have been very helpful, and I'm on the way. Thanks all.
Originally Posted by JohnGlenn
Yep. No sugar or carbs in hard liquor. I lost 40 pounds on keto, switched from beer and whiskey to whiskey and vodka with 0 carb mixer. Found an article that said alcohol can help put you in ketosis more quickly. Decided right then it was the diet for me. Bacon, whiskey, ribeyes and pork belly...best diet ever.

Absolutely.
I didn't just diet, I committed to living low carb.
Not a pound of that 70 that I lost has returned in 4 years.
In a nutshell I just eat meat and greens...lots of meats..
My doctor is shocked at my transformation my numbers made an astonishing turn FOR THE BETTER.
A1C went from 8.5 to 5.5...👍
Originally Posted by pullit
It is really a simple matter of calories in vs calories out.
Unfortunately, it seems like it would be that simple but it isn't. Certainly, you are correct in that regardless of what kind of diet you do, you can't eat 5,000 calories a day and expect to drop weight, unless you're Michael Phelps. But something like a keto diet sets up a metabolic advantage in your body that will allow someone to lose more fat than other diets of similar daily calories.

Shifting dramatically towards protein and fat and away from carbohydrates does three things that make a significant difference. First off, the body significantly increases the production of fat consuming enzymes, for processing dietary fat but also stored body fat. Second, there's a significant reduction in the production of insulin, which is the body's fat storage hormone. Lastly, a keto type diet creates more of a muscle sparring environment in the body so more of the weight loss is fat vs muscle. And retaining muscle keeps your metabolism from tanking.
So in 5 days how many pounds have you shed?

You should be losing 1.5 pounds a day, however in the early stages you should be losing twice that amount per day in the first week - it's mostly water initially. That's the easy stuff to lose. The fun part comes in day 21+ when the pounds become more stubborn.
I tried protein shakes as meal replacements, several years ago and had good success. I was surprised myself. Key to things is
be extremely picky the protein powder you pick. You need low carbs, and as close to 0 sugars as possible. Looking at 4 meals a day and a dry salad to keep you regular. The goal for carbs is to shoot to stay down to no more than 20 grams a day or as close as you can find.

Mayo Clinic: "Replacing meals with protein shakes may help you lower your daily calories, which can help you lose weight. But in time you'll need to start eating solid food again. Eating solid food may cause excess weight to return if you don't make smart food choices. And if you rely too much on protein shakes to replace daily meals, you'll miss out on the healthy benefits of whole foods.

Since protein has calories, consuming too much can make it harder to lose weight. This can happen if you drink protein shakes along with your usual diet and you're not eating less calories or exercising."

You need to stay active. As a minimum as much walking as you can. As you go along start jogging as much as possible interspersed with walking. You need to do this anyway to get into the condition to pass your test.

Depends on how bad you want its. TOTALLY AVOID SUGAR and wheat products, that means no croutons in the salad. Avoid any kind of soda pop even diet pop. Stick with water with electrolytes.
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
So in 5 days how many pounds have you shed?

You should be losing 1.5 pounds a day, however in the early stages you should be losing twice that amount per day in the first week - it's mostly water initially. That's the easy stuff to lose. The fun part comes in day 21+ when the pounds become more stubborn.

40 (lbs) divided by 60 (days) = .67 lbs per day.

(I'm using the OLD math)

1.5 lbs per day for 60 days would be a total loss of 90 pounds (OLD math again).
If your not doing so, I highly suggest you make a chart / spreadsheet. Hang it in your bathroom, next to the scale. Take your weight at the same time of day (I.e. in the morning right after you pee).

It should be done at least on a weekly basis, but I suggest every day.

Include:
Date (Today to finish)
Actual weight (fill in with pencil)
Required weight (at 0.67 lb loss each day).

For example

Date Actual weight Required weight
8/21/22. 280 280
8/22/22. 279.3
10/1/22. 254.5
10/21/22. 240

This keeps you accountable and trackable. You’ll have a few bad days, but that’s ok. Be honest. Just stay on the trend. Like I said, you can drop 5-6 lbs of water weight on the last day if necessary.
Wine sucks TOTAL ass anyway

That would be easy

Coors light. That’d be tough. How the grass gonna mowed?
To the op

If you get into a bind and are within 5-6 lbs last 2-3 days.

Find some old fart with the beetus, had heart, or bad kidneys

Bum a few lasix, ferosemide, torsemide, htcz off of them.
Sure you’ll be a pinch a dizzy, and dehydrated. But that water weight can be pissed-out for the weigh in
Posted By: WMR Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/21/22
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

Cutting hair, trimming nails, exfoliating the skin. Or maybe hacking off a limb. Lots of plan B options out there.
By a coincidence, I started a weight loss program 5 weeks ago. I was 6-3 and 262 pounds. What a hog! I already was out walking 3 miles, 3 days a week. And riding the exercise bike at the gym, 30 minutes, 2 days a week.

I like carbs, and always eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Yesterday for lunch, a cup of black beans microwaved with 1 oz. of cheddar cheese, you would be hard pressed to find a more nutritious meal. Fiber, protein, B vitamins, and good, complex carbs. I do like meat, last night had a 12 oz. grilled ribeye.

To lose weight, I eliminated chocolate and sweet desserts, like ice cream or key lime pie, and Reeces Peanut Butter Cups. I love a damn Reeces, and they are nothing but fat and sugar. And the number one thing I did is to cut back on the booze. I was drinking 4 beers every evening, along with a glass or two of wine. That is about 700 calories every day, just from booze. I am Irish and we like to drink. Every 5 days, 3500 calories from booze, that turns in to one pound of fat every 5 days from booze.

I cut back to where I only drink 2 or 3 days a week.
I have been losing, at a nice steady pace, 2 pounds a week. I have lost 10 pounds, almost 11, in five weeks. I can feel my belly is smaller, and I feel more energetic when I go walking. I have a nice balance beam scale in the bathroom, it is a great thing to keep track of weight loss.

I am going to lose at least 20 more pounds. At 6-3 and 232 I will be in pretty good shape. Might go down to 222, just to see how that goes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Recognize that sugar/carbohydrates are an addictive substance.

If you are addicted, deal with that first, then follow a super low carb diet, eventually you will be at 1 meal a day and be within your BMI.
11 years ago, when I was only 62, I took my son in law on a 75 mile hike which lasted ten or eleven days. We were carrying 80+ pounds on our backs and travelling over very rugged terrain. We ate oatmeal, along with whatever we could shoot or catch (grouse, whitefish, grayling, trout). My son in law started out at about 250 pounds and weighed 205 at the end. I started at 185 and dropped twenty pounds. So this is the answer; burn more calories than you take in. A lot more.
Those who remember basic training will recall how much weight some people (those who were carrying too much) lost during the process.
A one hour gym session doesn't burn enough extra to accomplish anything. Walking for an hour does little. Walking uphill with a heavy pack for an hour uses some energy.
My wife accuses me of doing things the hard way but doing that helps me to keep semi-fit; for my age. Embrace the exercise, I tell her. GD
I was 6’4 265 in august of 2016. My wife and her friend convinced me to join a heavy cardio based group fitness gym. Workouts there change every day. By Christmas I was 225. After Christmas, I cut out the carbs and was 199 by 1/15. I was too skinny then. I got back to 205 and have stayed there and stayed at that gym 4-5x a week. It’s very possible to lose dramatic weight quickly and safely. Good luck
"Walking for an hour does little."
That is true. A 250 pound guy who walks for an hour on flat ground will burn about 500 calories. He would have to do that walk, every day for a week, to lose one pound of fat, 3500 calories.

Still, if you do that 3 days a week, you will lose close to a half pound of fat. Times 52 weeks, in one year, 3 miles a day and 3 days a week, you will burn up about 20 pounds of fat in a year. In the big picture walking is very beneficial. Some type of exercise, such as walking or bicycling, is crucial for a weight loss program.
Originally Posted by Nebraska
In mid-June I decided to start eating healthier and ran across Dr Jason Fung's info on intermittent fasting. It made a ton of sense so I decided to give that technique a try (along with eating better food). My goal wasn't to loose weight quickly but I definitlely did. I weighed myself after 4 weeks and had lost 32 lbs. Initially I cut carbs but after listening to the "Whole 30" I have since started eating some fruit with my daily meal (berries, apple, bannana, etc.) as well. The crazy thing is I don't get hungry like I used to and feel I could go a lot longer between meals if I wanted or needed to do so. My memory and focus have improved a great deal as well which is a bonus!

I haven't weighed myself since but did lose another notch on the belt so I'm confident I've lost more weight since then. I was after a lifestyle change and not a number so I decided the only time I will step on a scale going forward will be when I visit my doctor for my yearly physical (which I have next week). Either way, I feel 100x better and am looking forward to seeing my progress for the 1st time in a long time!

Weighed in at my physical today and I've lost 50 lbs in 68 days. I went from 303 to 253 with BP of 120/74. Waiting on the rest of my lab work but I'm sure it'll be light years better than where I was last year. I'm not shooting for any numbers so no stepping on scales, counting calories, etc. Just planning on getting healthier and staying that way through better nutrition and regular activity/exercise......good luck to anyone else doing the same!
I need to make a run to Dollar Gen this afternoon

We out of the clover brand knockoff GS Tagalongs.

Peanut butter dipped in choc cookies.

I keep them mfers in the freezer outside on the patio. Holy fugk, …. 3 and a Mtn Dew.

I know, I know….all you old phags like the thin mints.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/22/22
congrats

Weighed in at my physical today and I've lost 50 lbs in 68 days. I went from 303 to 253 with BP of 120/74. Waiting on the rest of my lab work but I'm sure it'll be light years better than where I was last year. I'm not shooting for any numbers so no stepping on scales, counting calories, etc. Just planning on getting healthier and staying that way through better nutrition and regular activity/exercise......good luck to anyone else doing the same!
30 grams of net carbs per day, 100 ounces of water. You can do this.
Bicycling can be a very good calorie burning exercise that is generally gentle on the joints. This calculator can give an estimate of calories burned. I burned about 2500 calories on my ride yesterday.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/
I did 30 in 30 many years ago, one light meal a day and a snack of air popped popcorn with nothing added. And water only and lots of it. Running and weight lifting
Gents:

Recommendations?

I'm on IF .... first time in my life dieting at my age.

I've lost 30 pounds in 40 days and everyone around here are amazed. I can't see it but they all can.

I started when I got back from Michigan after the annual 4th of July vacation at Devil's Lake.

It's been easy peazy plus little rooster is all hyped-up and working like a champ again. The wife loves it ... she's ten years younger than me.

Here's my trick.

I downloaded this app call Fasting Tracker on my phone, bought-in to the premium version for $6.99 a year. I answered the questions honestly and started fasting. I'm serious, it works.

Also watch Dr Eric Berg videos on YouTube and Dr Jason Fung.

Trust me. It works. I feel great and I'm halfway there. Now, I'm a big boy ... 6'4"ish with size 17 feet and hands the size of a catcher's mitt. So I carried 280 pretty easy even at my age. But I'm shooting for 220. Wanna see my grandkids get married one day.
Don't get calories from liquids. Liquid calories count the same as calories from solids, but do not contribute to satisfying hunger the same.

Consider a grazing eating style if you tend to get hungry between meals and have a tendency to gorge as a consequence.
Well I'm doing the following:

Keto diet. Strict. Zero sugars, not even fruit. Zero alcohol. Zero carbs. Zero processed food (well, except the splash of hot sauce!). Liquids: Water, coffee and sparkling water like LaCroix. One a day type vitamins.

Intermittent fasting. 20 hours fast and 4 hours feeding window. One meal, plus a little snack (like a salad or small piece of cheese).

Exercise: Walk an hour, or bicycle about 45 minutes (mountain bike). Then push ups, sit ups as many as I can: These two are a metric I will be tested on.

Its been about a week, and I can't tell if I've lost any weight yet. Need to get a decent scale to start measuring daily. Figure I'll lose the weight whether or not I weigh myself.

Funny thing I now don't feel very hungry at all even 18-20 hours into the fast period, so something is working. Previously I was hungry at "meal times", and snacked between meals.

This has been quite an education, thanks everyone for their tips. I'll report when I have some results to show.
Its been about a week, and I can't tell if I've lost any weight yet. Need to get a decent scale to start measuring daily. Figure I'll lose the weight whether or not I weigh myself.

Get a scale TOMORROW. There is nothing else that motivates like positive feedback. Get a scale!

Funny thing I now don't feel very hungry at all even 18-20 hours into the fast period, so something is working. Previously I was hungry at "meal times", and snacked between meals.

This has been quite an education, thanks everyone for their tips. I'll report when I have some results to show.

Yup we eat too much, too often. Then the body gets used to it, telling us we are hungry, even when we don't need to eat.

Keep at it!
Posted By: ribka Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/23/22
its the low carbs causing lack of hunger

Keto diet. Strict. Zero sugars, not even fruit. Zero alcohol. Zero carbs. Zero processed food (well, except the splash of hot sauce!). Liquids: Water, coffee and sparkling water like LaCroix. One a day type vitamins.

Intermittent fasting. 20 hours fast and 4 hours feeding window. One meal, plus a little snack (like a salad or small piece of cheese).

Exercise: Walk an hour, or bicycle about 45 minutes (mountain bike). Then push ups, sit ups as many as I can: These two are a metric I will be tested on.

I recently went on Keto, not as strict as you, and lost 5# the first week with way less exercise, basically just walking on a treadmill. You will be surprised how much you have already lost.
The older you get, the harder it is to lose, and the easier it comes back. Now it takes me a month of dieting to move the scales, after the initial drop from having less food in the system. And exercise seems to have less impact. But with consistent diet and exercise after a few months I drop some weight. No way I could drop 40 in 60. Right now I've been running about a month. I am able to go further with slight improvements in pace, but seems not to be dropping the scale as fast as I would like. Signed up for a 10 miler in a little over a month and will need to drop 20# to about 230 to finish with respectability.
SimonKenton

"Alcohol is simple carbs and sugar. It turns straight to fat. Beer is the worst."

Actually alcohol is a compound which cannot be converted to fat in the body. It is readily available as fuel and used in preference to body fat. Other sugars in the bottle either unfermented or added can be turned to fat.
For y'all boys on the Keto diet. I see that it is a great way to lose weight. But there is little, if any fiber in meat and fat. Fiber, such as found in black beans, and fruit, is essential for keeping the colon clean and preventing colon cancer. A few years of the Keto diet, you may be skinny but you might have colon cancer.

"Digestive System Cancer Risk: This is one of my chief concerns regarding the ketogenic diet. The evidence is quite strong as to what dietary patterns are associated with increased risk of developing digestive system cancers – including and especially colon cancer – and what patterns are protective against them. The ketogenic diet is a textbook example of a high-cancer-risk dietary pattern: very high in animal fat in general and red meat in particular, and very low in fiber-rich fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains. Colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths among Americans."
Had my annual check-up yesterday.
Down almost #20 since I was at the Gastro doc in late April or early May.

#230 and falling by simply thinking about what and why before eating.

Still not off of the white bread completely but that is mainly due to having homegrown maters...... grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/17341409/its-time#Post17341409
I had a buddy lose a lot of weight fast on keto 3 years ago. Was looking good. Then dropped dead of a heart attack at age 37 two weeks after his wedding.
Originally Posted by readonly
I had a buddy lose a lot of weight fast on keto 3 years ago. Was looking good. Then dropped dead of a heart attack at age 37 two weeks after his wedding.

A highly regarded cardiologist once told me that coronary issues are extremely genetic.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/24/22
I tried keto for a month. Just really didn't like the strange way it made me feel. I went to lower carb, no processed foods and feel great. Weight doesn't come off as fast but still comes off at a good rate. I feel much better though.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/24/22
Oh, and good going Blu C. Whatever works for you, keep it up. Just please don't join the IRS or another alphabet agency!
Figured I would finally weigh in here.

My son has wrestled for well over 12 years, so we have learned a lot about exercise and weight loss.

One of the things that I learned that really stuck with me, was when Cory Kolat was quoted as telling his wrestlers they had to eat to lose weight.

We have learned that to really lose weight, you obviously have to be in a calorie deficit. That's pretty profound, huh? But doing this by starving yourself is counterproductive. Your body will go into starvation mode and do all it can to not shed weight.

Short of it is, you have to eat a fair amount along with working out a lot in order to lose a lot. Figure out what you need to be as far as a calorie deficit goes. Say you do the math and decide 1500 calories a day is what you need to lose what you need. You need to eat throughout the day, 5-6 small meals of 250 - 300 calories all while working out. In short, your body is receiving calories regularly throughout the day so you avoid going into starvation mode where the body will slow down your metabolism.

That is the biggest thing. Eat many small meals regularly and work out religiously.

Good luck.
A lot have suggested different diets, keto, lo-carb.... Different things work for different people. You are going to have to figure out what works for you in that regard. To do what you are doing, I would think you would need to keep some carbs in your diet in order to have the energy to work out the way you will need.

I will say this, drink 1.5 gallons of water a day (for wrestlers they say a gallon). You are big enough you should easily be doing a gallon right away and then work up to 1.5 gallons per day. It is boring and mundane. But it will help tremendously. First, a well-hydrated body is much less susceptible to injury. It will make you feel fuller and easier to get by, not over-indulging. And if you are well hydrated and get down close to your desired weight, you can then make a water weight cut at the end and probably drop 6-8 pounds in just water the last few days. Meaning you really only need to drop 32 pounds. The last 8 you drop by cutting water weight. Guy your size should be able to make a final cut of 6-8 pounds. Even cutting 10, I think is doable for you. You need time to recover if you do cut very much at the end though. So if you have to perform a physical endurance test of some sort, cutting much over 5 pounds, you will definitely feel and could impact your performance. If you have a day between weigh in and performance, you would be good.

Covid shot!
Good old fashion half starvation, vegetables, mixed canned or steamed, fruits, oatmeal, water and plenty of exercise, walking, jogging, running and weight lifting. No other way my friend,
I got it done this way, lost 60 lbs.
Originally Posted by duke61
Good old fashion half starvation, vegetables, mixed canned or steamed, fruits, oatmeal, water and plenty of exercise, walking, jogging, running and weight lifting. No other way my friend,

You did it the hard way. Should be painless and easy.
Posted By: ribka Re: Gotta lose 40 lbs in 60 days - 08/24/22

no protein?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Bicycling can be a very good calorie burning exercise that is generally gentle on the joints. This calculator can give an estimate of calories burned. I burned about 2500 calories on my ride yesterday.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

I would rather burn calories and get a cardio workout by screwing. I must be riding my bike all wrong.
Blu ... I know I posted about fasting earlier in this thread but here's an update.

Sitting here at the Dr's office right now getting a checkup ... have lost exactly 40 pounds since I retired over 4th of July weekend up in Michigan. I started this diet on the 21st of July.

Use the Fasting Tracker app. Once I got past the first week doing 10/14s it's been easy. I'm doing 4 hr eating periods and 20 hour fasting now but I know I can do 48 hrs fasting no problem.

Drink plenty of water and herbal tea.

This is exactly what I have done. I am on the verge of being carnivore. It is not a diet anymore in the sense of going on a "diet", it is a lifestyle. There is nothing that I miss from my old way of eating. Other than losing over 30 pounds that best thing is my joints feel so much better. People do not realize how much fluid they carry in their joints caused by piss poor eating habits.
I tried zero carbs keto a couple of years ago .... it sucked, liked to have killed me. I felt like a walking zombie.

This intermittent fasting has really worked, it's amazing.
No protein boys, as I said near starvation but I did had a Walker coonhound named Belle, she helped me in my running, she ran like the wind and I tried to keep up with her, that was many years ago, I sure miss that girl.
No protein boys, as I said near starvation but I did had a Walker coonhound named Belle, she helped me in my running, she ran like the wind and I tried to keep up with her, that was many years ago, I sure miss that girl.

You probably lost a lot of muscle tissue. You can lose fat weight with damaging your body.
I was 6-1 and weighed 230 lbs, use to work out a lot with weights so I had plenty of muscle but fat over it, when I got done I was 170. In my diet the body consumed most of the fat because I remember my fat % after I slimmed down was around 7 %, after that I never gained weight again and consistently worked out and ran. I probably lost some muscle but I was adamant of losing weight and it worked.

Pretty good advice there, Nutrition Pilgrim.

That is similar to what I am doing and I am down 11 pounds in 6 weeks. Gotta knock off 19 more, at least. Maybe 29 more. 29 more and I will be 6-3 and 220, I will be a mean machine. I eat oatmeal for breakfast every morning. Gives a lot of energy. I like carbs, complex carbs only. No white bread. Fruit is also very good.
I do get a lot of protein, from black beans, and steak and boiled eggs.
Originally Posted by victoro

Covid shot!

July 2019
Coors lite sucksazz...cancer would b more attractive....
You can always fugk a lot to get that extra boost of calorie burning

Covid shot!

July 2019

Did they day what caused the heart attack? That early must have been a pre-existing genetic condition or something?
As someone who has worked over 400 "codes," or heart attacks, I promise this guy had some real bad DNA. Youngest code I ever worked was 43 years old.

However, the Keto diet didn't help this 37 year old guy.
Originally Posted by Salmonella

A highly regarded cardiologist once told me that coronary issues are extremely genetic.

I attended many autopsies before I retired as a criminal investigator. Due to my nature of really wanting to learn, the forensic pathologist let me be right next to him, take notes for him, as well as do some cutting in some cases. Truly a hands on education. One thing I quickly learned is that everybody and I mean everybody has some amount of blockage in their coronary artery past the age of 40. There is plaque built up. To what degree can depend some on genetics but it also depends on diet and lifestyle. Fried foods and being a fatty will kill you. After the pathologist did his thing he would show me through kinesthetic learning (both hands on and visual) by instructing me in cutting open layers of the coronary artery and noting the blockage.

It made such an impression that I reduced my french fry intake by about 90% and started eating a lot more salads. Fried foods are a flat out killer for most people. That is a fact.

Knife and bullet wounds don't help either. laugh
Having done nothing but intermittent fasting, I've lost 3 lbs. in about 10 days. If I clean up my diet I should lose a little more a little faster. Just the last few days I haven't felt hungry after dinner or until close to noon so it's clicking for me.
Portion control. Use a smaller plate instead of a normal size. You can still eat normal foods. Just not as much.
"It made such an impression that I reduced my french fry intake by about 90% and started eating a lot more salads. Fried foods are a flat out killer for most people. That is a fact."

What you fried is the problem. French fry equals blood sugar/insulin spike.
I'm still saying low carb is the hands down winner here.
I lost 70 lbs in about 4 months.
Not a single pound has come back since I committed to living low carb 4 years ago.
At 61 I could still wear my high school clothes.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Most people have zero willpower and will die fat.
Originally Posted by Partagas

Covid shot!

July 2019

Did they day what caused the heart attack? That early must have been a pre-existing genetic condition or something?

Genetics and diet I believe. I don't believe there was a previously diagnosed condition but there was some family history. If not a proven fact everybody accepted that his drastic keto diet and weight loss in the months leading up must have been some factor.
We're two weeks in so how's it coming??
We want the update.
UPDATE

Exactly one month to go and I'm down 15 lbs out of the targeted 40. Been frustrating as I have been diligent as possible (complicated by out of town travel, family get togethers), yet progress has been painfully slow. That is until a few days ago. The needle really started moving when I added a gym membership late last week and started full body workouts instead of targeting only what was going to be tested on by the agency.

Current key items are:

1) Food Intake: Carnivore only for the one meal a day. Bite of cheese, or greek yogurt in one single tiny snack within 4 hours after the main meal. I've also cut back on the portion size on the Carnivore meal. I'll cut back on the snack the day I stop losing measurable weight. Added tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day.

2) Intermittent fasting: 20 hour fasting day/4-hour eating window (i.e. main meal and snack),

3) Ingredient elimination: Zero wine, beer, processed foods, added sugars, seed grains, carbohydrates. Everything is single ingredient except a splash of hot sauce.

4) Exercise: cardio and weights. I wasn't diligent enough on the cardio, partly due to factors outside my control, now no excuses, On the weights, I'm old school in that I prefer the free weights, but am discovering other machines at the gym, which seem pretty good at targeting very discrete muscle groups, and each visit I add one or two exercises.

5) Measurement. Weigh-in every day, on the same scale as when I started. (Vs spotty checks on different scales previously). I also recently set up a spreadsheet, and have been charting progress towards the key variables comprising the PAT test items, and sense that things are on the right path now although I wish I knew back when I started what I know now, and the degree of focus that was required. Oh well, live and learn, right?

Thanks to everyone for their tips and encouragement both on the fire and in PM's. It's been a slow start, but sense the path forward is clearer and now must take this grimly to close. It is a worthy project.
That is good progress. Fifteen pounds is a good start.
UPDATE

Exactly one month to go and I'm down 15 lbs out of the targeted 40. Been frustrating as I have been diligent as possible (complicated by out of town travel, family get togethers), yet progress has been painfully slow. That is until a few days ago. The needle really started moving when I added a gym membership late last week and started full body workouts instead of targeting only what was going to be tested on by the agency.

Current key items are:

1) Food Intake: Carnivore only for the one meal a day. Bite of cheese, or greek yogurt in one single tiny snack within 4 hours after the main meal. I've also cut back on the portion size on the Carnivore meal. I'll cut back on the snack the day I stop losing measurable weight. Added tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day.

2) Intermittent fasting: 20 hour fasting day/4-hour eating window (i.e. main meal and snack),

3) Ingredient elimination: Zero wine, beer, processed foods, added sugars, seed grains, carbohydrates. Everything is single ingredient except a splash of hot sauce.

4) Exercise: cardio and weights. I wasn't diligent enough on the cardio, partly due to factors outside my control, now no excuses, On the weights, I'm old school in that I prefer the free weights, but am discovering other machines at the gym, which seem pretty good at targeting very discrete muscle groups, and each visit I add one or two exercises.

5) Measurement. Weigh-in every day, on the same scale as when I started. (Vs spotty checks on different scales previously). I also recently set up a spreadsheet, and have been charting progress towards the key variables comprising the PAT test items, and sense that things are on the right path now although I wish I knew back when I started what I know now, and the degree of focus that was required. Oh well, live and learn, right?

Thanks to everyone for their tips and encouragement both on the fire and in PM's. It's been a slow start, but sense the path forward is clearer and now must take this grimly to close. It is a worthy project.

Nothing like a little progress to keep you motivated!
Have your wife tell you she loves another man works every time!
Originally Posted by Buck720
Have your wife tell you she loves another man works every time!

Chortle. That would be the "bourbon and bacon" diet. Problem is bourbon's out on this diet, so back to square one.
15 in a month is great. I lost 150 lbs starting about five years ago. I lost about 5 lbs a month initially. Then less as time went on. Never gained any back and started focusing on losing 3-5 lbs per month again about two months ago instead of just maintaining. While I got another 60 to lose I look at it as my main goal is to keep that 150 I already lost off. I spent my adult life losing and gaining until I changed my lifestyle and eating habits. Also my dieting habits. Initially my buddies and even my doctor scoffed at my seemingly slow weight loss. But being on a long term sustainable program has paid off for me. Time for me to take my weight down to the next level. I got tired of going up and down.
I could lose 50/60 lbs and reach my goal but then I went right back to the same bad eating habits that caused me to gain weight in the first place. Now the goal is not reaching a certain weight but maintaining good habits for the long haul.
My Doctor asked me back in 2014 “How many old fat people Do you see?” Got me to thinking. I started a low carb diet and went from 292lbs to 223 pounds. My wife complained that I looked too skinny. I kind of ate what I wanted for a couple years (still working out 3 times a week) and went back up to 243lbs. I’m a type 2 diabetic. The last visit my Doc suggested I try intermittent fasting. Been doing that for about 2 1/2 months, and I’m back down to 226lbs. Diet is the key. You can’t out train a poor diet.

Yep on
Great job BM123 and Ohio7x57! Bet you guys feel like new men!!
© 24hourcampfire