Home
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
New 2022-23 severe off road use with medium rocks and gravel.

I’m leaning towards Taco because it has a bed for trash and dead animals.

I’m getting out of the GM/Ford/Ram game

Which one ?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Do you prefer driving or mechaniking? Toyota for the former and Chrysler/Jeep for the latter.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
4 door Wrangler all the way. If you need to carry dead critters get a couple of big plastic bins.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Do you prefer driving or mechaniking? Toyota for the former and Chrysler/Jeep for the latter.

Yeah, I’m remembering why I got outta Jeep in the first place. Then guess what I did…Went Range Rover, LR4, LR3, then LR2 which were all CRAP !
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
4 door Wrangler all the way. If you need to carry dead critters get a couple of big plastic bins.

I hear ya but I’d need a hitch rack for seafood scraps in the trash in 105 degree heat.

Was looking at the gladiator also
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22

LOL.

I doubt seriously it'll ever see any dead animals. laugh

A Prius would do fine for his Florida city commute.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

LOL.

I doubt seriously it'll ever see any dead animals. laugh

A Prius would do fine for his Florida city commute.

You must have me mistaken with someone else friend, very few kill as many animals as I do per year. Its all I do in my retirement. And most of the states I hunt have the most liberal quotas.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
No love for the FourRunner?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Ahh

let me think...........

never owned a jeep

If you haven't read up on the 3rd gen Taco

Start here with link

I've had 1st & 2nd gen Taco's....both great trucks

https://www.tacomaworld.com/forums/3rd-gen-tacomas-2016.186/
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
This is even a question?
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Ahh

let me think...........

never owned a jeep

Start here with link

Save a brother some time and give me cliff notes. I don’t know what years are what generations. I know I don’t like all the electronics crap but it is a v6. Don’t like the push button start either.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Go read Consumers Guide reports, unless things have changed dramatically changed, you don't want a Jeep
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
You can get he best of both Worlds with A Gladiator, you can go were ever and pull a Taco, behind you. a Taco just won't cut it with hard use, we switched from Taco's to Gladiators in 2020 never looked back, now running 5 of them on the ranch. Rio7
Y’all running standard gladiator or Rubicon Mohave stuff ?

I have to replace tires every 9 months and IFS components every three years in trucks
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco

Yeah, I’m remembering why I got outta Jeep in the first place. Then guess what I did…Went Range Rover, LR4, LR3, then LR2 which were all CRAP !

Did 'mother' tell you to step back 6 steps?

Mother may I
Originally Posted by RIO7
You can get he best of both Worlds with A Gladiator, you can go were ever and pull a Taco, behind you. a Taco just won't cut it with hard use, we switched from Taco's to Gladiators in 2020 never looked back, now running 5 of them on the ranch. Rio7

Those Tacos with machines guns mounted in the beds seem to cut it just fine for hard use in third world countries from Africa to the Middle East.

I’ve had two Jeep Wranglers, a two door Sport and a four door Rubicon. I’ve had a Tacoma for the past 10 years. The Tacoma is more practical for dead critters, putting a quad in the back ect. The Jeep may be more capable in some environments IDK but the longer wheelbase on the Tacoma makes it more capable in snow and mud IMO. The Jeeps weren’t bad but the Tacoma has been the most reliable vehicle that I’ve owned.

I like to buy American when I can but I can say hands down that my Toyota has been the most reliable vehicle that I’ve owned. I haven’t been nickeled and dimed with minor repairs that add up over time.
Never took a Land Rover trip around this great country without a complete breakdown.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
I’ve transitioned to Taco from Ford and Chevy. Never owned a dodge. Never owned a Jeep, so I can’t speak to them. I like the idea and appearance of many Jeeps, but other owners have told me they tend to nickel and dime you to death.

Definitely get something with an open bed if you’re going to stack it with dead schitt. That’s just common sense.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Too bad they had to stick 2 too many doors on the Gladiator.

Maybe they will come out with a 2 door Scrambler.
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

Those Tacos with machines guns mounted in the beds seem to cut it just fine for hard use in third world countries from Africa to the Middle East.

I’ve had two Jeeps a two door Sport and a four door Rubicon. I’ve had a Tacoma for the past 10 years. The Tacoma is more practical for dead critters, putting a quad in the back ect. The Jeep may be more capable in some environments IDK but the longer wheelbase on the Tacoma makes it more capable in snow and mud IMO. The Jeeps weren’t bad but the Tacoma has been the most reliable vehicle that I’ve owned.

Ice/snow is why I originally got out of Jeep. Slid off the road and had to climb out the window and watch a Subaru go up without spinning a tire. Thats with a locked and cocked wrangler.

I’ve watch hilux’s do some amazing stuff, even knocked a few out that had machine guns mounted.
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
I’ve transitioned to Taco from Ford and Chevy. Never owned a dodge. Never owned a Jeep, so I can’t speak to them. I like the idea and appearance of many Jeeps, but other owners have told me they tend to nickel and dime you to death.

Definitely get something with an open bed if you’re going to stack it with dead schitt. That’s just common sense.

There’s something women love about a Pickup man.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22

Listening to this with great attention.

Originally Posted by 700LH
Go read Consumers Guide reports, unless things have changed dramatically changed, you don't want a Jeep
They do give bad press, but consumers that are contributing might vary from computer geeks to secretaries. Is there data good? I know...a Chrysler product gets questioned by me as well. But a Rubicon is a step in the best direction. Maybe one of the best attempts that they've done. The modern Powerwagon next.

JMFO
Ahh

let me think...........

never owned a jeep

Start here with link

Save a brother some time and give me cliff notes. I don’t know what years are what generations. I know I don’t like all the electronics crap but it is a v6. Don’t like the push button start either.

'16+ are 3rd gens........3.5 motor......complaints with auto tranny always searching

2nd gens are highly desirable......'05-'15.......4.0L V6

For example sold my '14 DC SB manual w/96K miles for $26K before all the crazynis started

1st Gens.......ahh yea....

We all know there is no perfect on/off road vehicle

But Toyoda knows their schidt

pic......my '14 B4 I sold & bought an '03 100 series Land Cruiser (Lexus)

Consider a 2nd gen Taco

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
The Jeep I own is the cheapest built, most unreliable hunk of schit I've ever seen in my life. I'll never buy another jeep product, I've never seen anything built with such poor quality that didn't come from Russia or China.
Posted By: fester Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
New 2022-23 severe off road use, rocks and gravel.

I’m leaning towards Taco because it has a bed for trash and dead animals.

I’m getting out of the GM/Ford/Ram game

Which one ?
Gotta ask?

Guys here on this site have bad ass trucks.
And plenty of knowledge about the older 22re
and 3.slow

If you get a engine they are fairly easy to
wrench on. 22re that is. Head gasket and the crap sucks with the 3.0 has sucks to work on.

You get a new truck…….. it’s gonna cost you.
I chose Toyota over the Ford F-150 2.7 and 3.5

Mine runs good. Differential and gears are stock but it goes.
Johnny, We are using the Sport, nothing fancy, we put wheels and tires, tool box and a winch, we build our own running boards-- rock rails. the basket and winch on the back is for picking up big critters, you can take it off or put it on in 10 min. this one I got in 2019, gets the hell used out of it, no problems. Rio7

Thanks for the info tikkanut but it will have to be new.

So now its really a toss up betwixed a new taco or jeep because neither is a real taco or jeep.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
My Buddy has a 2015 Cherokee and has stuck over 7 grand in it in the last 2 years. Not even 100,000 miles. Meanwhile I was driving my 2015 Tundra with no problems from 71,000 to 130,000 miles.I traded it in and got almost 22,000 for it in trade on a 22 Tacoma.He is getting 9000 for his Cherokee and has a check engine light on. He is also buying a 22 Tacoma.

So my answer would be Tacoma.
Posted By: memtb Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Toyota!!! Everything else are just wannabes! memtb
IMO the biggest negatives for Tacoma’s are that the brakes suck compared to most other vehicles and the steering isn’t exactly pinpoint. Those are also two of the week points but among others for Jeeps.
Johnny, We are using the Sport, nothing fancy, we put wheels and tires, tool box and a winch, we build our own running boards-- rock rails. the basket and winch on the back is for picking up big critters, you can take it off or put it on in 10 min. this one I got in 2019, gets the hell used out of it, no problems. Rio7

You gonna build my rails ? Judging by the mesquite we ain’t that far apart.

I ain’t even seen a jeep that color
I always reference the local KSL ads.......

Toyota brings more $$ in Utah than some other regional areas....go figure

Before I'd spend $42K + on a new one......

I'd look for a nice clean used western USA 2nd gen Taco

Link......one quick example

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/8062340
Only other I considered was a 2019 4cyl.

I might have to buy a donkey and call it a week.
Thanks for the info tikkanut but it will have to be new.

So now its really a toss up betwixed a new taco or jeep because neither is a real taco or jeep.

oh

got cha.......me

I'm a frugal phhuck........

My wife's GX 460 is our newest......2011
I always reference the local KSL ads.......

Toyota brings more $$ in Utah than some other regional areas....go figure

Before I'd spend $42K + on a new one......

I'd look for a nice clean used western USA 2nd gen Taco

Link......one quick example

OH NO.....rebuilt title

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/8062340

OH NO

rebuilt title
There's a lot I like about the Taco, but they can't handle the deep sugar sand in S,Texas, they hit deep silt and sugar sand and stop and your stuck, no matter how you have them set up, we tried to make them work for about 5 years. no joy. Rio7
OP

LOOK here.......

https://www.carmax.com/cars/toyota/tacoma?includenontransferables=false
You'll pay retail at Car Max.......

but the deal will be seam less
Posted By: funshooter Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
I have a soft top 2 door 1992 Wrangler 4.0 straight 6
The Trans was crap and replaced it with an older bullet proof one after 2 rebuilds.
Rebuilt the Engine and put some upgraded racing parts in it to improve wear on those parts.
Replace the Computer 3 times.

All of that in a vehicle with less than 200K miles on it

Mine has 4 leaf springs unlike the new ones with front coils.

I can not imagine that Chrysler builds a better Jeep than Jeep did.

Since Chrysler bought out Jeep it has been not so fun some times finding parts for our Wrangler even with the following that Jeep has with the off road groups.

Me personally would have to think very hard before I purchase another Jeep unless it was a very old one that I wanted to work on to keep running.
Posted By: Billc Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
I was between the Tacoma and gladiator last year.
Only two that had a manual and 6cyl.

Ended up with the gladiator rubicon. 6cyl with 4:10 gearing. Solid front axle. Lockers. Bed about same size as tacoma. Things I like. Great ride, 21mpg hwy. Easy oil change. Plenty of wheel well clearance. Bed low enough, so I can reach in. Seats are comfortable. No problems so far. Only complaint is low end torque is lacking.

Tacoma. Oil change is a pain. (Have to remove skid plates. Oil filter housing is a plastic pos. Seats in back have no leg room. That 3.5 engine is lacking torque, and won't get out of its own way. If you get a auto, it will hunt gears constantly on a level road. Plastic bed was a turnoff.

Also on the gladiator, you can turn off that TV screen in the dash. And turn off the stop/start crap.
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Wouldn't take a taco for a gift (wheelbarrel) JEEP all day.
You'll pay retail at Car Max.......

but the deal will be seam less

I have to tell you those prices in the link are well above what I looked at today for what looks like the same trucks.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad
This is even a question?

No sh't.
So tikka, in Utah can you register a roxor for on road ?
Originally Posted by ltppowell
This is even a question?

No sh't.

Whats your answers?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by gunzo

Listening to this with great attention.

Originally Posted by 700LH
They do give bad press, but consumers that are contributing might vary from computer geeks to secretaries. Is there data good? I know...a Chrysler product gets questioned by me as well. But a Rubicon is a step in the best direction. Maybe on of the best attempts that they've done. The modern Powerwagon next.

JMFO
Just read "rate of repair"
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
This is even a question?

No sh't.

Whats your answers?

I'd put mud grips on a KIA before I'd invest in a Jeep.
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
HMMMMM Oil filter housing is a POS? Really? Is there a problem I am not aware of? Glocks, Sigs, S&W and Walther and etc etc are made of plastic. The housing is covered by a METAL SKID PLATE. So you have to take a skid plate off and a few bolts every 5000 miles? BFD I have the 22 Tacoma with the auto and don't recall it ever hunting for gears on a level road. Towing is a different story but that is up hills and that will happen with any vehicle. Let us know how that Gladiator is doing in 100,000 miles and what resale is. Granted they look COOL AS [bleep] when they have the big tires etc but I have seen to many folks that have Jeeps that are Turds and I have to much personal experience with Tacomas and Tundras to know they are well built and last.
The Tacoma does not have the start /stop bullshit

But if you feel better that is all that matters. Good Lord those 2 vehicles are not even close to the same in quality and resale value.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by garddogg56
Wouldn't take a taco for a gift (wheelbarrel) JEEP all day.

On the rare occasion you hear someone dump on a Taco, I kinda just scratch my head….

I paid 10 thou cash in hand for an 07with 120 thou miles on it, in 2017, I believe. I’ve replaced the original battery. Had brake work done. Tires. That’s it. 180 thou on it now. Painless as it gets. Yeah, I don’t commute far at all. I don’t stack miles up much at all. But this thing just keeps passing inspections and giving me ZERO headaches.

Standard tranny, no power anything besides steering and brakes. I need it painless like that, because I had a kid late, and the expendable income is non-existent.

I also live in the North East, NH. And the thing is great in snow and isn’t rotting out on me.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
HMMMMM Oil filter housing is a POS? Really? Is there a problem I am not aware of? Glocks, Sigs, S&W and Walther and etc etc are made of plastic. The housing is covered by a METAL SKID PLATE. So you have to take a skid plate off and a few bolts every 5000 miles? BFD I have the 22 Tacoma with the auto and don't recall it ever hunting for gears on a level road. Towing is a different story but that is up hills and that will happen with any vehicle. Let us know how that Gladiator is doing in 100,000 miles and what resale is. Granted they look COOL AS [bleep] when they have the big tires etc but I have seen to many folks that have Jeeps that are Turds and I have to much personal experience with Tacomas and Tundras to know they are well built and last.
The Tacoma does not have the start /stop bullshit

But if you feel better that is all that matters. Good Lord those 2 vehicles are not even close to the same in quality and resale value.

Oh yes they do have push button start stop
Posted By: Teal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Owned Jeep. Owned Tacoma Gen 1 and pick up.

Brother owns 2 jeeps.

Co worker owns a modern Rubicon (I spent 5 hours in it one day)

I'm currently thinking of a truck again after a decade of commuter cars.

Jeep isn't even close to being on a back up list for me after all that. Not as a daily. An old CJ8 would be a lot of fun with a Ford 347 swap and a pile of cash into driveline but that's a toy.

Tacoma, Ranger or Silverado.

Of the 2 you're looking at - I'd go Tacoma TRD Off Road with a manual. Better gears, real key, locker in the rear and done.
I’m done with GM.

I’m one of the few freaks that doesn’t want a full locker anymore, only a good LSD
Posted By: Woodsman1991 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Manual transmission Tacoma, will still be racking up miles when the Jeep gets hauled to the scrap yard.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I’m on vacation and the whole island is jeeps and tacomas. Almost all the Jeep’s are rentals for tourists (we’re in a wrangler unlimited sport) All the locals and all the construction etc.. is in tacomas. (US territory)
The Jeep we’re in is a 2019 with 17,000 miles and has a hell of a valve rattle under acceleration. In its defense, all tourist driven and this place would chew up transmissions and motors im guessing. It has an Auxiliary fan set to run non stop while the engines running.

Im shopping to update my ‘03 Tacoma and settled on an extended cab long bed TRD off-road so I can have E-Locker and crawl mode. Love the crew cab I have now but hate the short bed and want to keep the short wheel base is why no crew w/longbed.

I bought my 16yo son a rubicon wrangler to scratch the Jeep itch but no way I’d take one over a Toyota.
My ‘03 has 170,000 and I change oil/air filter religiously and other than brakes, I changed plugs one time.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
How are the reviews on the 22 Frontiers[they at least look something like a Taco when coming at you].
Posted By: Marshhawk Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I thought we were talking about the turn off at stop signs and then it restarted like fods.Yes it does have the KEYLESS start and stop as well as exit and entry . BFD. It is actually convenient once you get used to it.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m on vacation and the whole island is jeeps and tacomas. Almost all the Jeep’s are rentals for tourists (we’re in a wrangler unlimited sport) All the locals and all the construction etc.. is in tacomas. (US territory)

Im shopping to update my ‘03 Tacoma and settled on an extended cab long bed TRD off-road so I can have E-Locker and crawl mode. Love the crew cab I have now but hate the short bed and want to keep the short wheel base is why no crew w/longbed.

I bought my 16yo son a rubicon wrangler to scratch the Jeep itch but no way I’d take one over a Toyota.
My ‘03 has 170,000 and I change oil/air filter religiously and other than brakes, I changed plugs one time.

St Thomas ?
Originally Posted by Marshhawk
I thought we were talking about the turn off at stop signs and then it restarted like fods.Yes it does have the KEYLESS start and stop as well as exit and entry . BFD. It is actually convenient once you get used to it.

Gotcha
Originally Posted by Raeford
How are the reviews on the 22 Frontiers[they at least look something like a Taco when coming at you].

I looked at them but the only way to get rear locking did is the pro-4X which is crew cab/short bed only.
There is a reason "jeepers"always travel in packs. Somebody's something is gonna break.

St Thomas ?

Yep. If you’ve drove around the island much you know the grades are steep as Fugk, up and down.
It’s fun as hell driving here, like running a jeep on a roller coaster track. Daughters running shotgun and acting as navigator with google maps and doing a helluva job.
Took it on the barge over to St.John today and was all over the national park hitting all the beaches doing some snorkeling.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
Manual transmission Tacoma, will still be racking up miles when the Jeep gets hauled to the scrap yard.

sold a '98 Taco Ext cab V6 Turd...(pic)...

to buy my

'14 Taco DC SB V6 manual

sold the '14 & bought my super clean AZ rust free '03 LX 470 (LC)

Taco's were good to me

pic 2......was 'Jack's truck'

Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
There's a lot I like about the Taco, but they can't handle the deep sugar sand in S,Texas, they hit deep silt and sugar sand and stop and your stuck, no matter how you have them set up, we tried to make them work for about 5 years. no joy. Rio7

And what would you attribute that getting stuck by Tacos too, compared to your Gladiators? What advantages do they come with over the Tacomas? If one set up a new Tacoma with the tire and wheel setups you have on the Gladiator would that solve the issue?
Posted By: walt501 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Johnny, have you sat in a Taco? Your legs are splayed out in front of you like a $2 whore. Perhaps some here like sitting that way, not me. Anything but a Yoda.
Heck yeah
Posted By: DaveR Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Have owned 2 tacomas, both solid and dependable as hell despite harsh off road abuse.

Sold my 2002 last year with 243k miles on the clock for $11k. Never an bit of trouble out of that truck.

The current 2017 gen 3 I have....yes, the gear hunting is a bother. But to my understanding largely cleared up with later flash updates from dealer, and I don't think it's an issue with the last couple years trucks....but could be wrong. Haven't been following the forum the last year or so.

Jeep is nice to be able to fit on 35's on a factory rig. Tacoma to fit 33's, you have a little work to do.

If I was in a Jeep club, or regularly went out with Jeep guys, maybe I'd think about one. Can't argue their off road ability. But, also can't argue that they are not as dependable as Toyota. As I'm often out hours and miles away from the nearest sign of civilization, and often alone at that, it's a no brainer for me, the Tacoma gets the call.

I'm a little gentler with the Gen3, but that Gen1 should have been put in the graveyard (or at least needed a little work) with the abuse I put to it off road. But neither happened.
32” tires on everything is my jammy. I don’t like taxing components

And what would you attribute that getting stuck by Tacos too, compared to your Gladiators? What advantages do they come with over the Tacomas? If one set up a new Tacoma with the tire and wheel setups you have on the Gladiator would that solve the issue?

Especially with crawl mode and locking rear diff, are the tacoma’s you had SR5’s?
Same here, my ‘03 is running 235/85R16’s on a 2” Old Man Emu suspension just right. Handle anything I’ve been in off-road and doesn’t look like gravedigger.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
wanna test your 4x4 rig while in Utah ?

Bring it here.......my local turf

Some people swear by Vortex rifle scopes.

They work great when you use them twice a year.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22

Especially with crawl mode and locking rear diff, are the tacoma’s you had SR5’s?

I have to ask about how the guy managed to get himself into a spot like that to begin with.... evidently didn't have a lot of experience dealing with sand to get himself hung up like that.....and then if he is on an ocean beach, that sea salt is going to not do the rig any good either.. body wise, or the electronics....

a little experience, he could have gotten traction off lightly stepping down on the brakes and getting traction of the brake shoes/ pads...
works just fine on my 4Runner... but then I was lucky and learned a lot about having to do stuff like that on military vehicles... best thing is to use your head and avoid places like that if you can... don't go looking for it, to prove how macho you and your vehicle are.

I'll take Toyota over Jeep any day... for reliability....

got 2 Toyota trucks now... a 88 4Runner I bought new in Sept 87,( 22 RE and 5 speed manual)... and a 2011 4 door 4WD Tacoma, 4.0 V6.

The 88 has 590K on it now... and the 2011 is a baby with like 168K or so....

now that is a 4WD cruiser....

Hey, I've had some of mine out more than twice a year....

are they living on borrowed time??
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22

St Thomas ?

Yep. If you’ve drove around the island much you know the grades are steep as Fugk, up and down.
It’s fun as hell driving here, like running a jeep on a roller coaster track. Daughters running shotgun and acting as navigator with google maps and doing a helluva job.
Took it on the barge over to St.John today and was all over the national park hitting all the beaches doing some snorkeling.

I drove an old CJ7 on the mountain roads of St. John Vi for a few days in my younger years. Man I worked for had a big home on the east end of St. John and owned/developed/build the Mongoose Junction shopping areas on the island. That was when most of the road over the mountain to the east end was not paved and it was definitely a rough ride, and I owned a CJ7 at the time and was use to it's rough ride.

I will never own another Jeep or any Chrysler product, give me a Toyota any day.
Originally Posted by VaHunter

St Thomas ?

I drove an old CJ7 on the mountain roads of St. John Vi for a few days in my younger years. Man I worked for had a big home on the east end of St. John and owned/developed/build the Mongoose Junction shopping areas on the island. That was when most of the road over the mountain to the east end was not paved and it was definitely a rough ride, and I owned a CJ7 at the time and was use to it's rough ride.

I will never own another Jeep or any Chrysler product, give me a Toyota any day.

Damn, that’s a cool experience. Parked in front of Mongoose Junction today to get some lunch, really cool sprawled out place. Construction over here is pretty wild, especially after the hurricanes in ‘17.
The local talent isn’t much, I’m assuming some of the real nice homes/buildings bring in outside workers.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
If you want the excitement of not knowing when you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere, or when the dealership will get it fixed, get the Wrangler. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be, as they say.
Originally Posted by reivertom
If you want the excitement of not knowing when you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere, or when the dealership will get it fixed, get the Wrangler. The old grey mare ain't what she used to be, as they say.

That’s why you always see jeeps off roading in clubs or big groups. The Jeep wave was born of necessity, gotta know how to wave down a ride back to town.
Originally Posted by Seafire

now that is a 4WD cruiser....

this guy in the video....started on the south end & went north

About 2 miles into the trail it gets down & dirty fast !

Suggest starting on the north end & going south

Gives you and the machine time to 'warm up'

Rain & snow make it much more interesting...elevation is around 6400'

Desert Sheep are very common in the immediate area as per pic

Posted By: Distridr Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
In your case it seems to be Taco vs Gladiator.
Sure wish I could recommend the Gladiator, but we're friends here.
Originally Posted by VaHunter

St Thomas ?

Damn, that’s a cool experience. Parked in front of Mongoose Junction today to get some lunch, really cool sprawled out place. Construction over here is pretty wild, especially after the hurricanes in ‘17.
The local talent isn’t much, I’m assuming some of the real nice homes/buildings bring in outside workers.

Yep, when the boss, who was a developer and Architect, built his house on the east end he thought he was going to have to buy the old, abandoned, concrete plant to be able to get concrete for the house but was able to strike a good deal to have in barged over from St. Thomas. All the skilled labor was brought in from elsewhere for MJ. The carpenters that worked at the company in Roanoke spent over a year there coordinating the work. I remember Haitian women and children sitting in a big circle taking hammers and busting big rocks into little rocks to use as aggregate in the concrete mix. The skilled trades, plumbing, electrical HVAC etc. came mostly for St. Croix

I have to laugh at this because I agree 110% and they have high dealer profit margins

That’s why you always see jeeps off roading in clubs or big groups. The Jeep wave was born of necessity, gotta know how to wave down a ride back to town.

So thats the “jeep wave”
Same here, my ‘03 is running 235/85R16’s on a 2” Old Man Emu suspension just right. Handle anything I’ve been in off-road and doesn’t look like gravedigger.

You gotta pay high dollar for wheels like that now, thats just my joint !

https://fifteen52.com/products/analog-hd-asphalt-black?variant=15113773973570

So thats the “jeep wave”

LMFAO

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<
Y’all might think I’m still confused, God made some memories come back.

I don’t remember ever seeing 40 Afghans, Columbians, Panamanians, or Contras on a Jeep loaded down with ammo.

My decision is getting tilted.
Posted By: kenacp Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Have a 17 Taco with 80K miles on it. No problems.
Posted By: LBP Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Taco all the way. If you don’t need a full size truck it’s the finest truck available. Currently we’re running three a 2011 2wd just over 100,000 miles only replaced tires, battery and front brake pads during that time. 2014 4wd 180,000 only replaced tires and battery, and a 2016 4wd 182,000 miles tires, battery, and front brake pads. The 4wd’s have seen hard use and no issues.

Jeeps are not the same quality as Toyotas.

Also had a 03 2wd 289,000 miles same thing replaced tires, battery and front brake pads.
Posted By: LBP Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<

+1 great truck!
Posted By: fester Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I like my Tacoma. Thing freaking gets the job done
for the little chores I need to do.🤷🏻‍♂️

Nice truck. Put a nice icon lift on it, raised it 2ish in the front and 1.5 or so on the rear.

Not a bad truck. Kinda glad I didn’t get the forest green f-150 I wanted. Lol

Fu ck jeep btw. New or old won’t hold a candle to the old yodas ass period. Even the new stuff.
Posted By: pal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Toyota quality and dependability are so much better than the rest that there is no contest.
Originally Posted by LBP

fuggin A

>>>>>>>>>LIKE<<<<<<<<

+1 great truck!
X2 that’s just right IMO.

You can’t beat an Old Man Emu lift until you get into big dollars and serious upgrades. Axle upgrades ect. Way more money than most of us want to throw at a DD non extreme use off-road truck.
I’ve had both. The Jeep was fun, but the Tacoma was unstoppable. My youngest daughter picked up a very nice looking 2017 Jeep less than a year ago. It’s been a money pit that she can’t get rid of.

Yes, Jeeps look cool, and have a lot of after-market parts available. But Toyotas are immensely more reliable, and have quite the aftermarket support. Take a look at overlanding. It will give you an idea of the popularity of Toyotas world wide for their aftermarket support and dependability.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Tacos may have some advantage, including primarily fuel economy and comfort. But the Gladiator is tougher. My brother ignorantly drove his Tacoma at 0.3 mph over some landscaping bricks bordering his driveway, and it destroyed his front right suspension.

Much more extreme impacts would have done nothing to this:

I love you man but the pics don’t impress. I do that every day and MUCH WORSE in a stock sierra. The thing about landscaping bricks is they probably move, the stuff I roll over with ifs doesn’t move.

One thing I find is most folk have no clue the capabilities of a stock 4x4

Most of my quest of the thread is about durability
One of the well known Jeep week points has always been the axles. There’s a whole industry built around building up or swapping out the axles. Even with the “upgraded Dana 44.” I trashed both axles in a Rubicon in an on road accident when the Jeep went into a small ditch. No other damage. It’s the only vehicle that I’ve ever bent an axle on let alone both.

Climbing up that flat rock looks cool but literally a Prius can do that assuming that it didn’t highpoint. There isn’t much to driving over frozen solid ground with a smattering of snow either.
Just read an article that said jeep was going to IFS probably
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I think it depends on the level of extreme you’re gonna 4-wheel.

The Gladiator is ringing the bell on a 10 scale for Ghayness with that pitiful angle of departure.

I’d go Tacoma
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
You guys are making me feel bad. I like mine

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Tacos may have some advantage, including primarily fuel economy and comfort. But the Gladiator is tougher. My brother ignorantly drove his Tacoma at 0.3 mph over some landscaping bricks bordering his driveway, and it destroyed his front right suspension.

Much more extreme impacts would have done nothing to this:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Posted By: 16penny Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Get a Gladiator with the v8 hemi and put a bobtail bed on it
Originally Posted by hunter4623

Dude, I know peoples that have driveways steeper than that rock pick. I do appreciate the input though.
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

The Gladiator is ringing the bell on a 10 scale for Ghayness with that pitiful angle of departure.

I’d go Tacoma

Its not so extreme in the “capabilities” area as a stock 4x4 and a driver with balls can easily do, its the road paved with stones the rest of the trip that takes its toll
I’ve timed a few stretches just for giggles. One little stretch for example takes me 2 1/2 minutes in a 4x4 gator like a bat out of hell. In one truck with 30lbs air, the same trip takes 11 minutes. Same truck at 24lbs air 5 1/2 minutes. Its the bone jarring ride that can take its toll. My goal is to be able to ride it faster than I can walk it which is maybe 4mph or so.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22

Dude, I know peoples that have driveways steeper than that rock pick. I do appreciate the input though.

So do I and that’s not my truck on the rock

I have the Mojave and the suspension is perfect for rocky roads. They developed it for desert racing. Fox shocks with external reservoirs and some fancy chit that supposedly helps with high speed bouncy stuff. I’ve had a load of off road trucks and the suspension on this is the best of them all.
Reliability seems to be measured with Toyota as the baseline. They’re hard to beat. I get rid of trucks when the warranty runs out because almost everything made today sucks compared to what we expect
The only time that I ever got my Tacoma stuck and it was my own fault. It was still new to me with sh1ty tires.

I was a few miles from the nearest paved road on a DNR truck trail/winter snowmobile trail late season grouse hunting and drove through the ice over a deep low point mud hole that had been covered with a dusting of snow making it appear level. It took several hours and popular saplings but I eventually unstuck it. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I love you man but the pics don’t impress. I do that every day and MUCH WORSE in a stock sierra. The thing about landscaping bricks is they probably move, the stuff I roll over with ifs doesn’t move.

One thing I find is most folk have no clue the capabilities of a stock 4x4

Most of my quest of the thread is about durability

I don't have the pics immediately to defend, but I have had two awesome Sierra's that I loved. The Gladi Rubi will go countless places the Sierra won't.
[quote=hunter4623]You guys are making me feel bad. I like mine

Reliability seems to be measured with Toyota as the baseline. They’re hard to beat. I get rid of trucks when the warranty runs out because almost everything made today sucks compared to what we expect
I’m not a brand loyal guy. I love my Toyota because it’s been incredibly reliable and excellent off-road. What you’re missing is that a Toyota will typically run maintenance free well past the warranty.

I do agree that as far as dedicated rock crawlers go Jeeps are tough to beat but that isn’t what most of us are doing with our trucks. For most of us it’s about reliability and snow and mud when off-road.
Its not about going, its about going over and over and over again.

Imagine a road paved with half buried bowling balls every four inches, then imagine half the bowling balls were twice and three times the size of normal balls cept they have all kinda angles not smooth.

I’d go Tacoma

Its not so extreme in the “capabilities” area as a stock 4x4 and a driver with balls can easily do, its the road paved with stones the rest of the trip that takes its toll

Good information on your needs. If you’re not doing a lot of crawling and climbing, you need to buy an older Ford Raptor. I have a 2012 that’s slightly built better than stock it’s just a ticket for rough roads at high speeds.

My Raptor super cab will blow away a gladiator in any test whether it be high speed, climbing, rock crawling
Then imagine the brush and trees are so tight anything too high will not go through without a chainsaw
Who gives a [bleep], that’s what they’re made for
Even the creek beds are solid rock
Maybe I should just go UTV
Even the creek beds are solid rock

Raptor or Fraptor
The only time that I ever got my Tacoma stuck and it was my own fault. It was still new to me with sh1ty tires.

I was a few miles from the nearest paved road on a DNR truck trail/winter snowmobile trail late season grouse hunting and drove through the ice over a deep low point mud hole that had been covered with a dusting of snow making it appear level. It took several hours and popular saplings but I eventually unstuck it. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have owned countless 4x4s, and honestly, I think my Gladi Rubi with much higher clearance and front and rear lockers could go right through that. It might not get stuck over and over again, which apparently is the test, but I wouldn't get stuck in that.
Posted By: kciH Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22

In what world is buying a Dodge Dakota the best of anything?

Imagine a road paved with half buried bowling balls every four inches, then imagine half the bowling balls were twice and three times the size of normal balls cept they have all kinda angles not smooth.

I am trying, but can't understand. The larger the obstacle, the more the Jeep will handle it--without question. Over and over again--I don't know what you mean. I have over 100,000 miles on my Jeeps without a single mechanical failure. i can't tell what you mean.

I have owned countless 4x4s, and honestly, I think my Gladi Rubi with much higher clearance and front and rear lockers could go right through that. It might not get stuck over and over again, which apparently is the test, but I wouldn't get stuck in that.

Sure

😂😂😂
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Toyota for me.

You don't need any kind of jeep, or Tacoma, or Sierra, etc etc etc

You need a friggen dozer Dude.
Most would never believe but I’ve taken Range Rovers on sponsored Land Rover outings up passage ways and crevices that Wranglers nor Gladiators would touch and could not follow. And the Land Rover family was waiting with open arms Monday morning because something ALWAYS broke !

I know there are things a jeep can do, but I’m concerned about maintenance and durability of these new models.

Also, on these sponsored Land Rover rides they would pick a hill from hell that ended up in a creek bed of solid rock. My wife would never do this she would get out. At the top of the hill you take your foot off the gas and brake and the machine’s hill decent control would do its thang and you could stop before the creek.

EVERY OTHER VEHICLE NOT A LAND-ROVER WENT INTO THE CREEK AND CAUSED BODY AND SUSPENSION DAMAGE, GAME OVER !

Its not all about a pot metal solid axle.

Sure

😂😂😂

Yeah 35" mud tires vs. 32" street tires; 13" of clearance vs 9" of clearance; front and rear lockers versus open diffs on both axles; etc. ....
Posted By: add Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Most would never believe but I’ve taken Range Rovers on sponsored Land Rover outings up passage ways and crevices that Wranglers nor Gladiators would touch and could not follow. And the Land Rover family was waiting with open arms Monday morning because something ALWAYS broke !

I know there are things a jeep can do, but I’m concerned about maintenance and durability of these new models.

Also, on these sponsored Land Rover rides they would pick a hill from hell that ended up in a creek bed of solid rock. My wife would never do this she would get out. At the top of the hill you take your foot off the gas and brake and the machine’s hill decent control would do its thang and you could stop before the creek.

EVERY OTHER VEHICLE NOT A LAND-ROVER WENT INTO THE CREEK AND CAUSED BODY AND SUSPENSION DAMAGE, GAME OVER !

So, get another Rover.

... dipchit
I might add that the LR’s did those rides above with street tires
Originally Posted by add

So, get another Rover.

... dipchit

You have a reading comprehension problem dumb fugg
Probably your bitch mommas fault
Or your bitch assed daddy
Or do you know your momma or real daddy
Was this filmed on one of your LR outings?

Thats funny has hell but even the defenders or old axled disco couldn’t do these rides. Only the center coupler versions.

Like I said, they work if you can keep them running.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by walt501
Johnny, have you sat in a Taco? Your legs are splayed out in front of you like a $2 whore. Perhaps some here like sitting that way, not me. Anything but a Yoda.

This is a great point if someone is logging extensive miles. I drive 55,000+ miles a year and have had two Toyotas over the years. Both were great vehicles, but both were tough on the driver. The lefs being straight out all the time is a killer. I will take a 1/2 ton of any manufacturer over a Tacoma due to the miles I drive.
Its made for short japs ?

I might drive this truck 10,000 miles per year and thats a set and a half of tires.

Sponsored LR rides! The pro-LR results are Amazing! I will take on anything LR has with it's urban ghetto low-profile tires that are prone to wheel damage without any auto-hill-descent. That's retarded. Hill decent control. Lol. So, all the super mud and rock crawling professionals can't do their work without the Land Rover hill descent technology?

Sponsored LR rides! The pro-LR results are Amazing! I will take on anything LR has with it's urban ghetto low-profile tires that are prone to wheel damage without any auto-hill-descent. That's retarded. Hill decent control. Lol. So, all the super mud and rock crawling professionals can't do their work without the Land Rover hill descent technology?

At least now I know to scratch your advice off my list. I’ve been there done that friend. I’ve watched rigs locked and cocked from 4wheel parts and other off road shops around the central Texas area try what you claim funny man. It was a learning experience for all.
I’ve seen Subaru go up iced mountain roads that a locked and cocked jeep couldn’t touch. Jeeps have their place and I want to like them. I just ain’t sure about them anymore. When there just ain’t and improved surface or trail, a jeep excels. Problem is most folk drive improved surfaces or used 2 tracks

At least now I know to scratch your advice off my list. I’ve been there done that friend. I’ve watched rigs locked and cocked from 4wheel parts and other off road shops around the central Texas area try what you claim funny man. It was a learning experience for all.

What would happen to the short street tires on a LR when it was doing this? Bang! Wheel damage.

Magnify that by 300 and put a steep crevice where only two tires are hitting and you’ll almost imagine the ride up. The tires did not blow, why I don’t know. Land Rover rides did show me that tires ain’t as important as traction control technology
I mean a 50’ inline through a crevice too
If you want a LR or Toyota go ahead. Why the post then? I had both that refused to attempt what my Jeeps gladly would do.
And dude, I gotta tell you, that pic is child's play. It might be a big stone where you are from but in my world everything is stone
If you want a LR or Toyota go ahead. Why the post then? I had both that refused to attempt what my Jeeps gladly would do.

I’m asking about durability and maintenance

I already know what most of these vehicles do because I’ve had them all cept a tacoma.
You destroy wheels with the low-profile tires that come on a LR. Traction tech doesn't matter on that.
Ladys and Gents, pics such as this obstacle are the kinda chit that some courses put soccer moms through with wine at the end to make them feel more confident.

This is not the kinda ease I’m talking about for my purposes.

What would happen to the short street tires on a LR when it was doing this? Bang! Wheel damage.

You destroy wheels with the low-profile tires that come on a LR. Traction tech doesn't matter on that.

Convince someone else, I’ve experienced it.

Next thing you’ll tell me is that more plys on the sidewall is to prevent punctures instead of its true purpose which is to hold more air pressure for heavier loads
A piece of flint or mesquite thorn will blow a hole in a 10 ply like a knife in hot butter
Will your LR do this?:

Nope.
Was this filmed on one of your LR outings?

Good stuff
Will your LR do this?:

Nope.

Sir, now you are getting the picture. My sierra does it almost every day. This looks much like some of the stretches I have to drive. I have some loose stretches like that and some stretches like that where the rocks are solid in the soil if you would call it that.

Hell, I don’t see any quartz nor flint in that either, mo easier.
I already said why I don’t drive LR but yes it would do that no problem regardless of how refined and streety it looks. I would hit the button on the air suspension and up I’d go. Then I’d most likely be at the dealer the next morning because I’d have warning lights like a Christmas tree.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Okay I didn't read all 8 pages... Although I love the Jeeps. It has been widely reported that the V6 gas is trouble when the miles add up (Head cracking issues i think?)... Unless you are a Good Mechanic... I would buy that Boring but Reliable Toyota...
This thread is becoming hilarious.

Seems I recall my Tacoma, stock with a set of Michelin LT tires on it, going down about 75' of that kind of stuff on a hunt in AZ. Washed out road going down into a valley. No way to really back up or turn around, so I said "F" I'm going down and will worry about getting back up when I see if I want to continue on this "road".

Got down to a place I could turn around at a flat on the creek running along the right side of the road. Got out to stretch and walk down a bit see if it was worth continuing. It wasn't .........................to me. The truck had to get me home 900 miles after the hunt. So, I turned it around, put it in low range, and surprised the heck out of myself with what that truck with basically street tires and a 4 banger would do.

It was a bit bouncy, and the frame hit a couple of places, but, I'm still driving the truck in the form it was in that day. Only thing different is I've got a set of air bags on the back because I hauled so much crap back and forth to my job every year and towed this trailer too:

No, I didn't have the boat on top, or the trailer going up and down that boulder stretch. I was hunting javelina, no need for a boat in the high desert. wink
I already said why I don’t drive LR but yes it would do that no problem regardless of how refined and streety it looks

Nope.

I've been to countless off-roading events where the trails are rated 1-10. Ten means only crazy dune buggies with a death wish. None of the LRs ever even tried to go above a 3. Practical experience. The Jeeps went up to a 7.

You're crazy if you think a LR can go up those rocks like a Jeep can. They can't.

Aside from the low clearance, I wonder why the professionals in the military and civilian competitions have huge tires that protect the rims against destruction and provide superior traction, aren't like the low-profile LR tires built for highway comfort? And they don't need some gyeh descent control.
Michelins are a whole nuther debate. They are magic tires !
Posted By: ribka Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
[quote=hunter4623]You guys are making me feel bad. I like mine

That is some rough terrain. Looks super dangerous. Do you chain up?
Bud, the terrain in all of the pics you have presented is basically benign. Maybe a big deal in your world.

I already said why I don’t drive LR but yes it would do that no problem regardless of how refined and streety it looks

Nope.

I've been to countless off-roading events where the trails are rated 1-10. Ten means only crazy dune buggies with a death wish. None of the LRs ever even tried to go above a 3. Practical experience. The Jeeps went up to a 7.

You're crazy if you think a LR can go up those rocks like a Jeep can. They can't.

Aside from the low clearance, I wonder why the professionals in the military and civilian competitions have huge tires that protect the rims against destruction and provide superior traction, aren't like the low-profile LR tires built for highway comfort? And they don't need some gyeh descent control.
Will your LR do this?:

Nope.

Sir, now you are getting the picture. My sierra does it almost every day. This looks much like some of the stretches I have to drive. I have some loose stretches like that and some stretches like that where the rocks are solid in the soil if you would call it that.

That's complete BS. I have owned two Sierras even with locking rear diff and lifts, and they never could do that. You're dreaming.
Will your LR do this?:

Nope.
Personally I would never purchase a jeep for what they ask for them but I'm curious about some of the specs factory. What axel up front do these Jeeps have from the factory, are they Dana 44's ? I doubt they are 60 series axel. How bout the steering box, and sector shaft output, what diameter is this shaft? And what do these new jeeps weigh?
I wish I were dreaming, then I wouldn’t eat a set of tires every 8 to 9 months
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Willys for the win.
Well......................................

sometimes laugh
I’m pretty concerned about new jeeps, trouble mentioned here or even the turbo 4cyl
I literally sold my Sierra and bought the Gladi Rubi because it would go places on my 5-acre property that the Sirera wouldn't go. I have had both. Sierra's a nice truck; wont go in extreme conditions where the Gladi Rubi will go. You are deranged if you think otherwise.
Well......................................

I’ve seen these new LTX’s do some stuff man, don’t know how either. They also seem to never wear out and are pretty abrasion resistant.

sometimes laugh
Posted By: ribka Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I’m pretty concerned about new jeeps, trouble mentioned here or even the turbo 4cyl

if youre driving more than 500 miles a year no question tacoma
I literally sold my Sierra and bought the Gladi Rubi because it would go places on my 5-acre property that the Sirera wouldn't go. I have had both. Sierra's a nice truck; wont go in extreme conditions where the Gladi Rubi will go. You are deranged if you think otherwise.

You probably had a crew cab instead of a truck
Both of them are crew cabs. Apples-Apples.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Considering the poor reputation that Jeep has for quality/reliability, it amazes me how many are on the road. My guess is almost none see any off road driving, despite the “off road” connotation of their appearance.

I made you say that. Another reason to scratch you.

There are wheel base, height, and break-over angle differences so even a crew cab tacoma is not apples to apples with a full sized rig. My GM trucks are always special order 4x4 regular cab short boxes. It runs circles around the crew cab version of the same.

I made you say that. Another reason to scratch you.

There are wheel base, height, and break-over angle differences so even a crew cab tacoma is not apples to apples with a full sized rig. My GM trucks are always special order 4x4 regular cab short boxes. It runs circles around the crew cab version of the same.

I guarantee yours doesn't have the same breakover angle mine does, unless it has some crazy lift.
Ok, I went and looked at specs. No way I'd buy a jeep and use those larger tires crawling rocks with an Dana 44 axel. From what I understand the Jeep Mojave and Jeep 392 have heavier walled axel tunes and cast iron knuckles. Still it's 44 axels and small u-joints they run on those high horsepower Jeep 392 units.

To me that's not a proper set up for rough duty. If your running larger tires on those rocks I want a minimum Dana 60 front axel and carrier and I'd prefer a heavy Borgeson steering unit.
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Ok, I went and looked at specs. No way I'd buy a jeep and use those larger tires crawling rocks with an Dana 44 axel. From what I understand the Jeep Mojave and Jeep 392 have heavier walled axel tunes and cast iron knuckles. Still it's 44 axels and small u-joints they run on those high horsepower Jeep 392 units.

To me that's not a proper set up for rough duty. If your running larger tires on those rocks I want a minimum Dana 60 front axel and carrier and I'd prefer a heavy Borgeson steering unit.

You may need Dana 60s when running 37+". At 35", the 44s are mor than adequate.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
This thread is a hoot!
I see a trend here. I’m not telling you what a jeep won’t do, I’m telling you what my measly truck will do. Makes no diff to me if you believe or not.

Now the trend I’m thinking is there is a bit of overcompensating going on in your part.

Thats ok if it makes you feel better about your probable tiny pecker.
You are fortunate, a real jeep
I wish.

An old high school instructor had one. Brown, white spokes and white hard top. Have liked them ever since I saw his.
When some douche converts a discussion about vehicle capability into a claim about dick size, it's clear that the discussion never made any sense. Anyone who would do that is retarded.
This was never supposed to be a rock crawler, monster truck, nor custom build thread. It was about the two vehicles presented.

What I have found is conditions that are benign for one might be extreme to another. And, some folk don’t have a good grasp on what a stock 4x4 is capable of, or not.

Thats all, goodnight.
Posted By: fester Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Lmao

Homeboy up there in Oregon has a bad azs rig.

You can build them or run ‘em stock.
Seen some bad rock crawling rigs.
The older rangers do well to
Run what ya brung guys😂
Posted By: DouginAlaska Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
When some douche converts a discussion about vehicle capability into a claim about dick size, it's clear that the discussion never made any sense. Anyone who would do that is retarded.

I agree 100% and that's all I have to say. Fugg O' Dear!
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I like it a a lot!!! But that ain’t close to a stock Jeep.
I’d rather not put a lot of money into anything intended for riding on salt covered winter roads or narrow two tracks listening to branches scratch the fugg out of the clear coat. That’s what’s basically stock Toyotas with good tires are for. IMO.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I had a Wrangler (07 4 door) for 10 years, no real issue other than the fire.... Insurance took care of that, and I continued to drive it,
Need a truck so I bought a Toyota Tacoma (2017) wrecked it, walked away,
Now I have w 2019,

Youcan buy 2 toyotas for the price of one gladiator - depending on how fancy you want to get, My Tacoma is a base model V6 - 4WD A/c what more do i need?
Had a 1st gen Land River Disco that probably was one of the most capable truck off road I’ve had, but reliability was worst of any vehicle we’ve ever owned. Bought the wife a Landcruiser 2 years ago and she’ll still say scheit about a Range Rover and I always tell her, go trade the Toyota in, but you’re 100% on your own for getting repairs and towing. She shuts up immediately.
If you go Taco - get these. Raise the seat in the front a bit - shifts weight more towards your hips etc. MUCH more comfortable ride and uber easy to install.

Seat Jackers

Also - let's compare apples to apples. Buying a 50k jeep and then throwing 11k at it and getting hard because you think, do not know, that you'd out perform a 15 year old used, stock rig without the same mods - isn't exactly the ringing endorsement you think it is.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I've had a 1995 Toyota tacoma lx 4wd now for 18 years 2.7l 4cyl ,5 spd it has 251,000 miles on it with very few repairs. Anyone ever get that many miles out of a fugging jeep?..mb
Posted By: 700LH Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska

I agree 100% and that's all I have to say. Fugg O' Dear!
That description fits about half the people that post here
Had a 1st gen Land River Disco that probably was one of the most capable truck off road I’ve had, but reliability was worst of any vehicle we’ve ever owned. Bought the wife a Landcruiser 2 years ago and she’ll still say scheit about a Range Rover and I always tell her, go trade the Toyota in, but you’re 100% on your own for getting repairs and towing. She shuts up immediately.

Thats funny as hell to me too because I deal with the same chit. I always go back to one particular trip where some air suspension components broke in Maine and I didn’t wanna go to the dealer in newyork so I drove all the way to the dealer in Alexandria Virginia with sparks flying. She shuts up for a while.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Johnny, you need to buy a Mule, to haul your BullSchitt, Rio7
I’ve considered that very thing, Kawasaki or Live ?

My problematic route is located between Leakey and Junction
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I jad a jeep once. Never again. Biggest POS I've had the misfortune to own.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Hell I thought you were in West Texas where the rough country is, Hill country ain't that tough that's Dude's from Austin, kind of tough. Rio7
If its uglier than a hill country easement no road hog trail, I don’t want anything to do with it. Several times I’ve just pulled over and walked to get the Gator.

I remember the guys at the tire shop saying, “they can always tell who the real off-roaders are around here by looking at their tires with shredded treads”.

I ain’t from Austin, I’m from the Alabama Delta.
Johnny,

Earlier in this discussion I advised you purchase the Tacoma for it's reliability but upon reading what your needs are with driving over rock gardens I will revise my recommendation and suggest a Jeep Rubicon.

You need a low geared rock crawler with locking differentials and the Rubicon will give you that. The Rubicon has a dana 44 front axle and a transferase that is lower geared than the standard jeep so you can crawl your way along the trails you are describing.

The Tacoma is not designed to be a rock crawler.
I understand what you are saying but I pick my lines pretty good and I just ain’t gonna buy a Rubi. I don’t even break parts in my current Sierra. Mainly tire damage. Airing down and using 32” tires is probably the biggest suspension saver for this terrain.

Problem is there is some confusion on here betwixed verbiage of “Rock Crawler” -vs- “Boulder Crawling”
Posted By: dpd Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Go with the Tacoma . Toyota is way more dependable than any Dodge or Chrysler product .
I just thank the good Lord I have rich ranch owners down the trail from me that can afford this machine and don’t like bumpy 2 tracks and being without electricity. I’m at the end of the trail 2 miles past the last iron-wolf work and recent power poles added. Last year it was 4 miles.

One day I could get there in a corvette

Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Tacoma Off Road double cab 6 speed manual or a 4Runner. This is where I am today, trying to decide which. But likely another taco for the open bed space.

The 4Runner will do at least as good or better on fuel than any Jeep. The 4.0 in the 4Runner is no slouch and very reliable, but will be gone next year or whenever they come out with a redesign. The taco's already have been somewhat neutered with the 3.5, but after it gets a few miles on it loosens up.

For the money, the 4Runner is a better value for the versatility over the Tacoma. But, I want to be able to haul stuff on a whim without hooking up a trailer.
Posted By: AML Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Five-hundred pound squats and get a mountain bike.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Unless you love jeeps and are a good mechanic I wouldn't even consider one. Tacoma
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
I’d rather not put a lot of money into anything intended for riding on salt covered winter roads or narrow two tracks listening to branches scratch the fugg out of the clear coat. That’s what’s basically stock Toyotas with good tires are for. IMO.

23YO w/230K [daily driver solely due to lack of availability/overpriced new].
M-F I drive it down the interstate to work.
Nights/weekends I drive it all over our 75 acres of hillbilly Appalachia on trails originally cut for 4-wheelers.
Hear that fingernails on chalk sound, no problem.
Goes everywhere I need it to without fuss.
My 5th Datsun/Nissan without ever having needed any major repairs on any of them.
Didn't like the last Gen of Frontiers but am eyeing the new Gen., giving it a year to work some kinks out that I'm sure will arise.
At home, at work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Unless you love jeeps and are a good mechanic I wouldn't even consider one. Tacoma
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Simple answer;

Get both!

I've got an '04 Tacoma TRD, and just recently bought a 2013 two door Rubicon.

Got the best of both worlds! (Wife has a 4-Runner)

Virgil B.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Ahh

let me think...........

never owned a jeep

Start here with link

'16+ are 3rd gens........3.5 motor......complaints with auto tranny always searching

2nd gens are highly desirable......'05-'15.......4.0L V6

For example sold my '14 DC SB manual w/96K miles for $26K before all the crazynis started

1st Gens.......ahh yea....

We all know there is no perfect on/off road vehicle

But Toyoda knows their schidt

pic......my '14 B4 I sold & bought an '03 100 series Land Cruiser (Lexus)

Consider a 2nd gen Taco

I like the Lexus route, one can get into the early to mid 2000's and have comfort and V8, all without breaking the bank.
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I've had a 1995 Toyota tacoma lx 4wd now for 18 years 2.7l 4cyl ,5 spd it has 251,000 miles on it with very few repairs. Anyone ever get that many miles out of a fugging jeep?..mb

Yes, My 07 4 dr had almost 300K when I gave it ot my son.

23YO w/230K [daily driver solely due to lack of availability/overpriced new].
M-F I drive it down the interstate to work.
Nights/weekends I drive it all over our 75 acres of hillbilly Appalachia on trails originally cut for 4-wheelers.
Hear that fingernails on chalk sound, no problem.
Goes everywhere I need it to without fuss.
My 5th Datsun/Nissan without ever having needed any major repairs on any of them.
Didn't like the last Gen of Frontiers but am eyeing the new Gen., giving it a year to work some kinks out that I'm sure will arise.
At home, at work.

Very underrated rides.
Done, out of the GM game.

Thanks for playing.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Done, out of the GM game.

Thanks for playing.
Pics or it didn’t happen laugh

My GMC visible through the front window.

I tried to get them to swap out my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss At’s but they wouldn’t do it so I gotta buy new ones next week
https://fifteen52.com/collections/o...-hd-asphalt-black?variant=15113773973570
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/19/22
Nice looking truck. That color is sweet. I'd say you made a good choice.
Take a look at Miller Technologies Toyota trucks. The stock stuff is weak and pedestrian.

Jeep//Fiat isn't quality IMO. But if I had to go that way I'd buy used and rip that weak Dana 44 off and in with an trussed Dana 60 with 70 in tow and power it with an Cummins BT4. Now that would solve 9/10ths of any reliability issues.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/20/22
I’m too old to be building rigs and I don’t mud bog or rock crawl for fun anymore. Doesn’t matter what it is, I can tear up a steel ball with a rubber hammer.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/21/22
Well Hell, A guy a few properties over inherited and has three jeeps that he is gonna give me for free, and they actually look pretty good to fix up.

A 1969 Jeep Commando, a 1969 Jeep Gladiator, and looks like a 70’s wrangler. They are closed up but critters still living in them.

Ranch vehicles I guess. Luckily I have a source close by to get me on track.

https://wagonmaster.com/
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/21/22
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

He gonna get them hauled off for free!
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Commando looks chit-hot like an old defender. Might just put a faded Jurassic park decal on the doors and set her out back next to the pool for cool factor.

Sell the Truck to Wagon Master and restore the wrangler.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Barcelona Red heck yeah! Give that 3.5 20k miles or so to loosen up a bit and it’ll run. Drive it for a couple of years and if you hate it you’ll still get most of your money back out of it.
Red goes against everything in my brain but I bought it anyway.
Posted By: Teal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22

I had a red Toyota Pick-up (pre Tacoma) and a red motorcycle. I'll never own a red anything again - I'm with you on that. Give me light colors that hide dirt and scratches
I wash my truck once a year and vacuum it twice
Posted By: drop_point Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
I bought a new Tacoma about a year ago. There was a line. I wanted to buy white or silver. Of upcoming trucks I had the choice of Army Green or the Barcelona Red. I chose the Army Green. So far, it has grown on me. Lots of people make complainants. Mine is the TRD Off-Road crew cab short bed with the TRD factory lift. It set 2.5” higher in the front and about 2” higher in the back than my friend’s TRD Sport. I was worried it may be too high. I’ve been needing tires, but I suppose I’ll wear the factory tires out first.

The above comment about giving the 3.5L time to break in is absolutely true. I hit 30k a few weeks ago. It runs so much smoother now; no more boat motor effect.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
SO MANY SENSORS AND COMPLEX STUFF ON ANYTHING NEW.

I know... I have four new 2022 Toyotas.

With that said... who do you trust more NOT TO FUBAR A SENSOR?

Toyota or MOPAR?

Ford or GM?
Sensors suck
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Jeeps suck. Get a Tacoma.
Posted By: JPro Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
When in doubt, go Toyota (or maybe Honda). That's been my path for the last 15 years or so and it's generally led to good choices.

I must say though, it can be kind of hard to kill a Jeep YJ/TJ. You might have to keep throwing small parts at it here and there and it might rattle and vibrate like a rock tumbler, but it'll keep going.
It will take me three years to put that many miles on the motor
Posted By: SD65 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Bring back solid axle vehicles for severe off road use and scrape the IFS junk.

SD
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I wouldn't trade my Tacoma for two Jeeps.
Posted By: EQFD193 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
I might have the best of both worlds...2022 Tacoma TRD Off Road after a few mods and a 82 CJ 7 I did some work to. To be fair I don't rock crawl or do any aggressive off road stuff (CJ is for surf fishing the ocean) and the Tacoma is a daily driver / hunting truck. If I had to pick between a new Jeep or Tacoma for my needs...Hands down Toyota JMO.

Posted By: gunchamp Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Jeeps are garbage and have been for a while. No comparison between them and a yota
After 30 miles I have my new AT tires in 265/70-17…good nuff.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22

nah

looks good......

just never owned a jeep product
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22

I tried to get them to swap out my new Mickey Thompson Baja Boss At’s but they wouldn’t do it so I gotta buy new ones next week

Congrats !
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
I bought the SR5 over the TRD.

Looked like all the TRD offers is a bug scoop on the hood and a sticker on the box. smile
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Never never never.

Bad enough once I got one for cheap to put a motor in from a car that was bent.

The blue hood was swapped from the other vehicle immediately on getting home so I didn't have to look at all that red while driving.

Saw the car in the Auto Trader, back when some pics were still black and white. Told my friend "I bet that SOB is red", sure as scheidt when we pulled in the dudes driveway, yep.

At least it was faded some as it was 10 years old or so.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Just read an article that said jeep was going to IFS probably

Before they even hit the market there will be kits to fix that fug up!
Posted By: SKane Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22

The Jeeps I've owned all the loved the dealership's service department far more than they loved me.
Well Hell, A guy a few properties over inherited and has three jeeps that he is gonna give me for free, and they actually look pretty good to fix up.

A 1969 Jeep Commando, a 1969 Jeep Gladiator, and looks like a 70’s wrangler. They are closed up but critters still living in them.

Ranch vehicles I guess. Luckily I have a source close by to get me on track.

https://wagonmaster.com/

The 70's Jeep would be a Renegade or some variation. The Commando's are cool but are high rust candidates. Now the 69 gladiator, I could run that!

i wouldn't feel bad...haters gonna hate!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
My only Jeep was a 78 J10

It was a micro-slow tank
Posted By: Teal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I bought the SR5 over the TRD.

Looked like all the TRD offers is a bug scoop on the hood and a sticker on the box. smile

Depends on which TRD. Off Road and Pro - both offer e-locker in the rear and crawl mode etc. I believe you can option the e-locker on an SR5 now on the trail editions but they also have these bed boxes which take up room in a small bed already. Avail only on the double cab/short box that I could see.
Posted By: deflave Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
The other day I met a chick that bought a brand new Camry XSE and explained she really loved her Jeep, but...

I told her "Good call."

LOL

Modern Jeeps are the biggest hunks of fugking schit on the road.
Posted By: drop_point Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22

it seems old Johnny Loco in the Head, is the greats driver in the world.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by deflave
The other day I met a chick that bought a brand new Camry XSE and explained she really loved her Jeep, but...

I told her "Good call."

LOL

They do seem to be the chicks favorite around here.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
Originally Posted by deflave

If by "modern" you include the 1996 Jeep Cherokee that my wife was driving when I married her, then, yeah. Agreed.
Posted By: bcp Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/22/22
I've probably had 15+- Jeeps since 1960. CJ's, trucks, wagons, 1st gen Wrangler, 3 Cherokees, 2018 Cherokee now. Also Chev pickup, an older Toyota pickup, a Tacoma and a Dakota. All 4x4.

Only one vehicle ever had a problem that went to the dealer for it. Second Cherokee had a ticking noise in transmission. They put in a new one under warranty.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Bruce
Posted By: irfubar Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Jeebus , I go fishing for a few days and the Toyotards start running amuck....
Maybe this will trigger them?
Fuggin retards..... smile

Posted By: EdM Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
I went old school.

Toyota Taco ..... broke the fug down... only vehicle I have ever owned left me stranded in the backcountry...

But , then again Big Stick loves Taco's.... and we know what a "hard charger" he is! lmfao

Posted By: Higginez Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
The new ford Ranger beats em both!
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
13 pages?? The gun shipping thread needs to step it up.
Anyone that has spent anytime on the hardcore Jeep trails know that they are called Jeep trails and dominate those trails for a reason......
Go to Moab, the Ducy, Foredyce, Rubicon etc.... jeeps rule, it ain't a coincidence... ask me how I know?
Johnny Loco is a moron that doesn't know his azz from a hole in the ground when it comes to hardcore 4 wheelin...

BOOO...... smile

Posted By: jackmountain Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by Higginez

If we could get the diesel model maybe.
Uh Oh.... wish I had a Range Rover..... said no one ever.... hahahhahahahaha

Originally Posted by irfubar
Anyone that has spent anytime on the hardcore Jeep trails know that they are called Jeep trails and dominate those trails for a reason......
Go to Moab, the Ducy, Foredyce, Rubicon etc.... jeeps rule, it ain't a coincidence... ask me how I know?

Jeep’s are gayer’n AIDS.
Some POS jeeps.... not broke down.... lmao

Jeep’s are gayer’n AIDS.

Even if they are diesel powered?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Guys that think a Tacoma will keep up with a Jeep on a hard core trail are gayer 'n Monkey Pox.

Brother Hig.... you need to change your password... someone jacked your account!
Another POS Jeep..... just doin Jeep things.... smile
Toyotards feel free to post pic's... smile

Uh Oh..... Taco seems to be stuck.... smile

Originally Posted by SKane

The Jeeps I've owned all the loved the dealership's service department far more than they loved me.

Real Jeep owners don't need no stinkin service dept........ wink
Posted By: Higginez Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

Brother Hig.... you need to change your password... someone jacked your account!

LMAO!
Will your LR do this?:

Nope.

This rates up there on some of the biggest bullshit I have ever read on the fire! and that's a hi bar to clear
Originally Posted by SD65
Bring back solid axle vehicles for severe off road use and scrape the IFS junk.

SD

Some true wisdom... wink

This doesn't even rise to the level of "Mall Crawler" lmfao

Rock sliders Nerf bars with steps??? Grocery getter.
Love those gnarly tires too.

I’d go Tacoma

Good information on your needs. If you’re not doing a lot of crawling and climbing, you need to buy an older Ford Raptor. I have a 2012 that’s slightly built better than stock it’s just a ticket for rough roads at high speeds.

My Raptor super cab will blow away a gladiator in any test whether it be high speed, climbing, rock crawling

An unfathomable level of retardation displayed in this post
If anyone can find a Taco with IFS or in rcmuglia's case a Raptor that has done Pritchet canyon I would love to see it...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeep+gladiator+on+moab
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

Does it have racing stripes?
Posted By: nemotheangler Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Bud, the terrain in all of the pics you have presented is basically benign. Maybe a big deal in your world.

Nope.

Never seen your pics loco Enlighten us.
Matt usually uses a Jeep to rescue the Tacomas. grin

Etc., etc., etc., etc.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
^^ Fake news ^^ smile
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

Being a better rock crawler does not make it a better truck. All the Jeepers I know have a daily driver truck and most of those are not Jeeps.

By the looks of the trucks I see here, I doubt there are very few that leave the pavement including mine. If I want to go off road, I get the Tacoma to tow my Can-Am to where I need to be and go from there. Otherwise, I use the 4x4 Taco for getting me though snowy roads going to work and getting groceries. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Guys that like to crawl their vehicles over rocks tend to replace everything on their rig by the end of each year.

So for them, a Jeep makes a lot of sense.

All the build up and then he bought a TRD sport?!
Why didn’t you just buy a Camry and go hang with Bristoe?
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Toyotas ze best! Just ask ISIS!

Posted By: drop_point Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Weren’t there woke pissed that Toyota was giving the middle finger to the left by supporting conservative causes and saying no to the gay agenda and BLM?

Jeep on the other hand:

https://www.zigwheels.ph/car-news/jeep-celebrates-pride-month-in-nyc
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

All the build up and then he bought a TRD sport?!
Why didn’t you just buy a Camry and go hang with Bristoe?

Not looking for a “crawler”, some of you dumb fuggs can’t read.
Originally Posted by drop_point
Weren’t there woke pissed that Toyota was giving the middle finger to the left by supporting conservative causes and saying no to the gay agenda and BLM?

Jeep on the other hand:

https://www.zigwheels.ph/car-news/jeep-celebrates-pride-month-in-nyc

With the exception of a few, many newer jeep drivers do seem like the woke “un-natural sexual” types.

I am a fair minded fugg though, yesterday I saw a Tacoma with a “Beto” sticker !
Posted By: sactoller Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

Ahhh, the Little Sluce!

Here is the backside of the Little Sluice

And this looks like Cadillac Hill!
Posted By: Calvin Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
I have always wanted a four door rubicon for a hunting rig. Some day.
Originally Posted by sactoller

Ahhh, the Little Sluce!

Correctamundo on both counts brother, good eye from someone who's been there and done that!
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

That looks like my driveway in WV... 'cept I don't have fir and spruce trees.
Hat off irfubar... you live a good life!

Ahhh, the Little Sluce!

Correctamundo on both counts brother, good eye from someone who's been there and done that!

1st year on the Rubicon was 1983 and did it every year at least once until I moved to Texas in 2005. My 69 CJ6 will be heading back to it next year.

Look Out point 1986
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Ford Ranger for the win.
1st year on the Rubicon was 1983 and did it every year at least once until I moved to Texas in 2005. My 69 CJ6 will be heading back to it next year.

Look Out point 1986

Look at all them solid axles...
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Thanks Cash.....
You only go around once... smile

I leave for a few days and this place goes to hell....

fish camp , I just got home from....

Unlike Old toots imaginary fish camp, this one was real... wink

Thanks Cash.....
You only go around once... smile

I leave for a few days and this place goes to hell....

fish camp , I just got home from....

Unlike Old toots imaginary fish camp, this one was real... wink

Awesome!
Posted By: Raeford Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

Look Out point 1986

Somewhat surprised that Jeep hasn't brought out a true 40's era type Willy's[size etc].
Little sluice 1987

A bone for the Toyotards... still no IFS tho.....

Little sluice 1987

A bone for the Toyotards... still no IFS tho.....

Looks like you are running Tru-Tracs!

Damn, I miss that tire!
Back in the day Armstrong Tru Tracs and the off brand Maxi Tracs ruled... 32" tires smile
My brothers Toyo with a Ford 351 and a C6 transmission.

The black Renegade was his as well. That is Dizz in the photo, this is right after they got back from Desert Storm. (Harrier pilots)

This was my 48, it was dark blue then I decided to brighten the color some. I haven't scanned a ton of images have to find the time.

Look Out point 1986

Somewhat surprised that Jeep hasn't brought out a true 40's era type Willy's[size etc].

They have had some concept Jeeps, but are not practical.
Love that flatfender... very cool
Love that flatfender... very cool

Those Trisun tires did well, I wore out my Tru-Tracs and they weren't available any longer.
Stihl vs. Husqvarna
Chevy vs. Ford
Jeep vs. Toyota
Ice vs. no ice
JeffO vs. sanity

As the fire turns... lmao
Stihl vs. Husqvarna
Chevy vs. Ford
Jeep vs. Toyota
Ice vs. no ice
JeffO vs. sanity
2vaxx/2boosted vs. pureblood

As the fire turns... lmao
I wanna see some Unimog action... any of y'all seen them play hard?

I can't justify one just yet, but I damn sure would like to play.
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
No love here for the IH Scout ??
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife

first year over a gentleman in our group had a 72 Scout, had a slipping transmission and he broke his left front spring and ripped the nut off the u-bolts. We chained his spring to his front cross member and I chased the threads on the u-bolts by hand. We got him out and he drove 120 home at 70 MPH. He went a few more years but always as a passenger.
Posted By: tzone Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
We traded off our jeep this year after owning it for 14 months. Several electrical demons that wouldn’t allow it to start in cold weather. Also, it got HORRIBLE gas mileage. There was clearly something wrong with it to get the poor mileage. 10-13mpg in anything under 25 degrees F.
They have been making Jeeps since 1941.... sooo the Jeep of today is not the same as the Jeep from yesterday...
Mine is a 2022 base model with a eco diesel and roll up windows... yet it still has a computer screen that display my on x off road maps, traction control that makes posi traction unnecessary, cruise control, air conditioning, gets 25mpg with 35" tires and can tackle some pretty tough trails.
And for all the arm chair commando's that poo poo Dana 44 axles, mine has them front and rear.
30 years ago our Jeeps had 44 in the rear and 30's in the front, the only times axles broke was when an inexperienced driver got to heavy on the throttle in the rockpiles bounce the tires and when they came down and grabbed traction the axle snaps.
It was predictable who this was going to happen too.
You want to stick with 37" or less tires with the Dana 44 and use driving skills and you will never have a problem.

My first 4x4

They have been making Jeeps since 1941.... sooo the Jeep of today is not the same as the Jeep from yesterday...
Mine is a 2022 base model with a eco diesel and roll up windows... yet it still has a computer screen that display my on x off road maps, traction control that makes posi traction unnecessary, cruise control, air conditioning, gets 25mpg with 35" tires and can tackle some pretty tough trails.
And for all the arm chair commando's that poo poo Dana 44 axles, mine has them front and rear.
30 years ago our Jeeps had 44 in the rear and 30's in the front, the only times axles broke was when an inexperienced driver got to heavy on the throttle in the rockpiles bounce the tires and when they came down and grabbed traction the axle snaps.
You want to stick with 37" or less tires with the Dana 44 and use driving skills and you will never have a problem.

It is funny, how we got over the Rubicon and Fordayce with only Dana 25/27's and the lowly 30.

I so hate the 37 and up crowd, they tear up the trails more than anything.
Posted By: Teal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

I think, do not know but older rigs likely had lighter tire/rim combos too - saves the axles.

37-44 inch stickies on beadlocks has to weigh more than the old 33's on steel 5 spokes.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by NVhntr

My first 4x4

Old gal around here is still driving hers.

Always a trip seeing it on the local roads. Still going strong.

around here, maybe she lives on a ranch even.................. a real ranch..................not like my 7Acre RANCH!
The thread was which one of the two vehicles I narrowed down of all of the available pieces of new chit that would be the best choice for constant use on rocky, gravely, and extremely bumpy assed roads. It was about longevity and durability.

Thats it in a nutshell, weren’t about rock crawling nor mud bogging though we got off subject at times.

We can talk about people’s driving skills, dumb luck, vehicle capability, all of which I’ve been there done that !

The pinnacle of human stupidity as far as vehicles is concerned was a troop one time that drove an AT forklift up to an ugly spot and was so dang proud of himself he decides he is gonna do a a double flip off the top and stick the landing…he died right there.

Close second was a knucklehead that decided he wanted to play with the outriggers on and AT crane like it were a chicano low rider, he was crushed when it flipped…he died right there.

I’m a careful old man now because I’ve used up 75 of my nine lives already !

My first 4x4

around here, maybe she lives on a ranch even.................. a real ranch..................not like my 7Acre RANCH!

Well, you've got ol' Spano....by 2 acres!

We have a little elderly lady that comes rolling into town occasionally[Saturday mornings] in a mid 70's J10 or J20.
She has to be pushing 90.
Originally Posted by Teal

I think, do not know but older rigs likely had lighter tire/rim combos too - saves the axles.

37-44 inch stickies on beadlocks has to weigh more than the old 33's on steel 5 spokes.

Very true. The new Dana 44 axels are tough enough, if one takes it easy on the skinny pedal.

Most of the newbies I see today run way too much air pressure.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/23/22

My first 4x4

Must be the luckiest Scout owner ever.

Grandparents had an International pickup and another old farmer up the road had 2 of em.

Grandpa's sat around broke down most of the time and I think the only reason the other farmer had 2 was so he could alternate between driving one while working on the other.

Very true. The new Dana 44 axels are tough enough, if one takes it easy on the skinny pedal.

Most of the newbies I see today run way too much air pressure.

Yep too much tire pressure and to much skinny pedal.... bad schit will happen
The old pro's go slow and easy......
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/24/22

My first 4x4

Yeah buddy, now we’re talking! Seriously, all of my formative years were spent in one exactly like that.
Posted By: Teal Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/24/22
Well there is this Wrangler weird chit...

Posted By: sactoller Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/24/22

Pure GAY!
Posted By: garddogg56 Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/24/22
JEEP
Posted By: irfubar Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/24/22

Wanna be snowflake , lesbian flatlanders trying to be cool by driving a jeep.... kinda like campfire trolls... wink
Posted By: GregW Re: Tacoma or Wrangler - 08/25/22
© 24hourcampfire