Home
Posted By: smithrjd Knee replacement - 10/03/22
I have finally gotten to the point where it is time to have it done. I know several have had this done here on the fire, any tips or suggestions? If the left one goes well, the right knee is next..
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Follow up therapy is the key. Don’t shirk it. I highly recommend them. Pick the best, most experienced doctor that you can find. Ask around.

Ask about avoiding the possibility of blood clots.

Good luck.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Had both of mine done. Most recently the right, about 6 months ago.

Mighty painful for a good long while. But still FAR preferable to the debilitating arthritis I was afflicted with.
There is light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad to have them done.
A good PT provider is essential.
My wife was critical in my recovery. For some time after the surgery, I was pretty much useless.
Pick a good orthopedic surgeon and go for it, Brother!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
I need one, but have heard too many horror stories of the ones that didn't work out. I have hardware in my back and a replaced shoulder. Neither is anything to brag about. I have been getting the rooster comb injections for two years now, once every six months. It makes it bearable.
Posted By: stevevan1 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Had my left knee replaced last June. Painful the first week or so but worth it. I'm going on a hunt this November that I would never have been able to enjoy without the surgery. Scheduled for the other one this December. If it goes as well I might just be able to make a bucket list hunt that I thought before the surgery was out of the question.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Jumping through the hoops in that direction as well just got my first cortisone shot in my right knee 1 1/2 months ago...mb
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Everyone will be along to tell you about it, the one thing I can say is don’t have them replaced any sooner than 6 months apart, if I had it to do over it would be a full year, I was told after I had both done 3 months apart it is the most invasive surgery there is except heart surgery. Good Luck
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by Angus55
Everyone will be along to tell you about it, the one thing I can say is don’t have them replaced any sooner than 6 months apart, if I had it to do over it would be a full year, I was told after I had both done 3 months apart it is the most invasive surgery there is except heart surgery. Good Luck

They do beat you up pretty good.

You can watch the full procedure on YouTube if so inclined.

Watching that and then realizing that you’ll get up and walk the same afternoon is pretty amazing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
You'll wonder why you waited so long to get the TKA done!

If you don't have a bicycle, get one. You don't list your location or procedure date, so you might prefer to get an indoor bike. I really like the recumbent.

Ride the bike for at least two months prior to the surgery. Having that strength BEFORE the sx, makes the recovery more bueno and easier.

Be sure to go to the best surgeon you can find, not necessarily the dude that "does the most". That can be a false metric.

Ask as many people that have had the sx who they used. If you know any nurses, ask them about what surgeon has the best outcomes. Research the doc's rating and infection rate online.

Good luck.
Posted By: jim0149 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
At 73 I will be following this closely. Have had full replacement in both hips and the steroid shots in my right knee. Last week got the first rooster comb shot. So only time will tell. Good luck on your decision.

Jim
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
I went through all of the shots for both knees and they were strictly temporary or didn't work at all.
I had both knees replaced seven years ago, (a month apart) and have been praising the doctor since. Not a single problem whatsoever. I was 69 when I had them done and after therapy a friend and I hiked over 900 miles in the hills around town in the first 4 years. We quit counting but they are still doing great. I think the main thing is to take your therapy serious, and don't ever quit walking !

Go for it, you won't be sorry!

PS I had an accident a couple years ago, and broke my left hip. The therapy was kind of tough, but in a couple weeks I was out hiking in the hills and I forget that I ever had it replaced.

I know a lot of guys my age that had both knees done at the same time. They had no problems at all .
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Knees have been bad since '87 or so.. Tried PT shots etc. Nothing really worked beyond a month or so. Going on 68, retired to a 30 acre property. Didn't really realize how much work and walking is required.. Left knee is really limiting what I can do now so time to take the plunge. Wife has an indoor bike, and PT appointments already setup. Probable miss this year's deer season, to bad as the trail cam says the food plot I put in is really working well. Several 6-to-10-point bucks around.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Ninety days of hell. Do the physical therapy.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by jim0149
At 73 I will be following this closely. Have had full replacement in both hips and the steroid shots in my right knee. Last week got the first rooster comb shot. So only time will tell. Good luck on your decision.

Jim

Knee replacement is much more difficult than hip replacement.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Ninety days of hell. Do the physical therapy.

I could not bend it for a month. I could not drive for 2 months. I really worked at it, and eventually I came up to speed fast. After a year it is way better than the old knee, but 90% of my other knee. I would do it again, but a lot tougher than I thought. I did PT 2-3 times a week at a really good place, and I worked it hard everyday.
Posted By: MD521 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Get THE BEST SURGEON you can find
Do therapy, before the surgery, on the leg that your are having surgery on to strengthen it
Listen to the surgeon and ask questions
Get up and get moving after surgery
Get off the pain pills ASAP
Get up and get moving
Get in-home therapy right after your surgery
When they say PULL, you pull until you can't pull any more
When the say BEND, you bend until you can't bend any more
Get up and get moving
Walker--crutch--or cane use whatever works to keep moving
I've had both knees replaced and I have NO PAIN and NO problems 11 years from the first
Did I mention GET UP AND GET MOVING-----ASAP

Good luck
Posted By: dale06 Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
One brother had both replaced, another brother one replaced. Both had a lot of pain, but said best decision they ever made.
Posted By: specialK Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
I had my right knee replaced October 2021. I strongly suggest at least 6 weeks of physical therapy before the surgery. It is very painful the first couple of weeks. I did pt post op for 2 months. I’m glad I got it done and hope I don’t have to do the left one.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by MD521
Do therapy, before the surgery, on the leg that your are having surgery on to strengthen it
Get up and get moving
Get up and get moving
I've had both knees replaced and I have NO PAIN and NO problems 11 years from the first

Good luck

^^^^This^^^^

Haven't had a knee done, but left hip is prosthetic and right shoulder is prosthetic.
Right ankle has two lag screws. Probably 3/8"×2 1/2"!

Don't know where you are, but if you're near OKC, try McBride on Edmond. Those guys are amazing!

Originally Posted by jim0149

Jim

They offered me cortisone shots in my right shoulder. I looked the doctor square in the eye and told him, "Hell no! Schedule me for surgery!"
He laughed and told me, "Good choice."
He estimated a shot "might" work for a month if I was lucky. More than likely less. Shoulder was on BAD shape!

PT on hip was a piece of cake. Just get up and walk...and walk...and walk!
Right shoulder?
Knew the therapist from another fiasco. If my right shoulder had been any good, we would have "throwed down"! Damn he hurt me! BUT....when he got through, my shoulder was almost like new!

PT can be hell, but if done correctly it's worth every ache and pain.

I'm looking at a left elbow replacement in time. It's bone on bone. Weight restrictions on the right shoulder is 25 pounds. Left elbow replacement restricts me to 10 pounds on the left side.
Damage an elbow replacement with a fall and it can't be "fixed".
Posted By: basdjs Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Follow up therapy is the key. Don’t shirk it. I highly recommend them. Pick the best, most experienced doctor that you can find. Ask around.

Ask about avoiding the possibility of blood clots.

Good luck.
^^^THIS!^^^
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Knee replacement - 10/03/22
Smithrjd: Been there done that (2 1/2 years ago) and it was the best thing I ever let a Doctor do to me!
All the old pains are gone and I get around rather well for a 75 year old man!
Like others have said take it easy on the pain pills as "constipation" with a freshly replaced knee makes for difficult times and MORE pain whilst on the throne.
Luckily I only needed ONE knee replaced as it was broken/injured in an accident.
I had 14 (fourteen!) weeks of three times a week physical therapy and I held the record at that therapy clinic for the loudest pain induced scream for three of those weeks, until a college basketball player started his physical therapy/rehab on his knee.
Get'er done, get the therapy done, and start a new and better life.
I DO NOT even want to tell you what happened to two different women I know who did NOT follow-up on therapy after their knee replacements!
This is a threat - GET the therapy done - or else you WILL be sorry.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by MD521
Get up and get moving
Get up and get moving

Good luck

Had both of mine done 4 years ago, 3 months apart. The advice above I agree with 100%.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
I had both of mine done the same day a few years back, in December.

Was at SHOT a month later ... on an electric scooter for a lot of the time, but there.

I had a spectacular result, regained ridiculous range of motion, chasing quail in the foothills again ... but my surgeon walks on water.

One of the best decisions I ever made. God was on my side. I’ll take it.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by RickBin
I had both of mine done the same day a few years back, in December.

Was at SHOT a month later ... on an electric scooter for a lot of the time, but there.

I had a spectacular result, regained ridiculous range of motion, chasing quail in the foothills again ... but my surgeon walks on water.

One of the best decisions I ever made. God was on my side. I’ll take it.

GOD, you believe in that stuff too.

Ha. Well God bless you.

MAGA
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Smithrjd: Been there done that (2 1/2 years ago) and it was the best thing I ever let a Doctor do to me!
All the old pains are gone and I get around rather well for a 75 year old man!
Like others have said take it easy on the pain pills as "constipation" with a freshly replaced knee makes for difficult times and MORE pain whilst on the throne.
Luckily I only needed ONE knee replaced as it was broken/injured in an accident.
I had 14 (fourteen!) weeks of three times a week physical therapy and I held the record at that therapy clinic for the loudest pain induced scream for three of those weeks, until a college basketball player started his physical therapy/rehab on his knee.
Get'er done, get the therapy done, and start a new and better life.
I DO NOT even want to tell you what happened to two different women I know who did NOT follow-up on therapy after their knee replacements!
This is a threat - GET the therapy done - or else you WILL be sorry.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I got up and got going right after I got my lung took out at Bostons Massachusetts General on a Monday morning after flying up there and meeting with Harvards Dr Herman Grillo on a Sunday afternoon.

Was supposed to be in the hospital 12 days. I left the hospital after 6 days.

GOD is GOOD. And GREAT.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Don’t shrink back from the subsequent physical therapy. It’ll hurt but it’s important.

The pain narcotics they gave me were NO help at all. Ironbender suggested Ibuprofen instead. He was right. He & I had ours done on the same day in 2018.

My surgeon was William Bryan with Houston Methodist Sports Medicine. He had done J.J. Watt’s knee not long prior to cutting on me. A good Doc is a good find.

It took 6 months to be able to climb a curb without deliberate calculation & 18 months to climb the stairs normally.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Ask for dilaudid, you will thank me later...

Before...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After...

Way after...

Posted By: TJAY Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
When I had my done 2010 I made sure I took meds before every therapy session. This was so I could work it hard. A friend had one done about same time and got off the pain meds in a couple of days. Because of the pain he didn't or couldn't do the therapy well and had scar tissue build up and to go back under and have the Doc break it up.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Will see what the Doc prescribes, Motrin Tylenol, Celebrex etc do nothing for me. The only thing that worked for me besides opioids is Aspirin.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Don’t shrink back from the subsequent physical therapy. It’ll hurt but it’s important.

The pain narcotics they gave me were NO help at all. Ironbender suggested Ibuprofen instead. He was right. He & I had ours done on the same day in 2018.

My surgeon was William Bryan with Houston Methodist Sports Medicine. He had done J.J. Watt’s knee not long prior to cutting on me. A good Doc is a good find.

It took 6 months to be able to climb a curb without deliberate calculation & 18 months to climb the stairs normally.
I remember that. It was a fun day, wasn’t it?
smile
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
I'm at 10 months. Still not happy with it
Posted By: slumlord Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
What do you think went wrong? Or are just still recovering?
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Had both TKR on 2/14/2020. They rushed me out a day early as Covid was invading all hospitals. Started PT at home within a week. Soon thereafter started PT regimen at clinic. Covid shut that down too! But my flexion was 105 post surgery second week and near 125 after 5 sessions prior C19 shutdown of clinic. Did the rest of my work on real good stationary bike and porch/interior stairs and twice daily walking our Airedale.

Walk, walk, and walk more. Stretch every morning before getting out of bed. Going upstairs is much easier than down. Took a full year to really heal and get proper “feel” back into feet. But, I don’t awaken at night and feel like I’m on fire anymore. I’ve had outstanding results.
Good luck.

A great surgeon is the ticket. I had two! Full team on each knee! They’re partners in Dallas Orthopedic Associates and incredibly gifted.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Not sure about Dennis, but I still have some soreness in mine. 2+ years later. Doc told me some folks just have minor pain after the replacement.

I way surpassed their range of motion tests, as in I'm topped out at the physical limits of the apparatus they installed. It don't bend no more than I can bend it.

I think part of my issue is that I got to keep my very own kneecap, and by the sounds it makes now I think the arthritis is setting in pretty good behind it.

Still beats having to have shots every so often, max doses of ibuprofen every day, and now and again a real pain pill. And some days just choosing to not do much.

6 or so months after having it done I was chasing elk in AZ, so I can't complain.
Posted By: worriedman Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
You'll wonder why you waited so long to get the TKA done!

If you don't have a bicycle, get one. You don't list your location or procedure date, so you might prefer to get an indoor bike. I really like the recumbent.

Ride the bike for at least two months prior to the surgery. Having that strength BEFORE the sx, makes the recovery more bueno and easier.

Be sure to go to the best surgeon you can find, not necessarily the dude that "does the most". That can be a false metric.

Ask as many people that have had the sx who they used. If you know any nurses, ask them about what surgeon has the best outcomes. Research the doc's rating and infection rate online.

Good luck.

Best advice you will get right here.

I did not get prepared on the first one, paid for it in rehab. Same young lady was my tech on the second one, first session when she said raise the heel, I couldn't do it. (First surgery, she had to help me and I peed in my workout shorts a little) Get your quads built up.

Second one, I did it the 27th of July and was elk hunting in November. Ice is your friend.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
My PA lady told me that three Motrin and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol provide just as much pain relief as 10 mg Oxycodone.

I found her advice to be true and you don't get addicted to Motrin.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
IN SPADES!!!

"... take it easy on the pain pills as "constipation" with a freshly replaced knee makes for difficult times and MORE pain whilst on the throne. ..."

The problem getting up and down with shoulder replacement wasn't much of a problem.....BUT....when you're right handed, your bathroom is set up right handed and they replace your "right" shoulder....!
Awkward at best!
I even confronted the surgeon!
"Have you relegated me to wiping my butt left handed the remainder of my life?"

I learned quite a few "workarounds" due to joint replacements! 😉 There ARE ways to do things.

Pre shoulder replacement, the wife insisted we purchase a recliner. I had been sitting in an old wooden rocker.
What we DIDN'T think about was the recliner was right handed!
The youngest took the adjustable leg off an unused walker, stuck it over the handle, tied paracord to it so I could flip the lever with my left hand.
Lost the paracord one morning about 1AM. I need to get to a bathroom, ASAP! I woke up the entire household, screaming, until somebody woke up to rescue me from my recliner! Thankfully, in time!

....and "YES!", constipation is an absolute reality with pain killers.
When they locked my right ankle, was probably THE most painful surgery I've EVER had!!! I ate hydrocodone like they were M&M's!
Yep! Constipation....and unable to use right foot to unseat? I can kinda relate to you TKR guys! NOT fun!
Posted By: kennymauser Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
[quote][/quote]
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Ask for dilaudid, you will thank me later...

Before...

After...

Way after...

Damn Shrap, they must have gotten a good deal on staples at your hospital.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
I had TKR of my left knee January 2020 at the age of 49. Best thing I ever did!!

My left knee gave me a little problem my whole life and the time I spent doing martial arts, playing football, heavy weight training and a few years in the Infantry didn't help.

I had my left knee scoped twice before TKR, they told me it was junk and had to go. Cortisone shots would last me 1.5 - 2 days, that's right, days.

Are you carrying excess body weight? If so, lose it. For every pound you lose, you relieve 4 psi off of your load bearing joints.

Prior to surgery, get on a recumbent bike and strenthen your knees and quads to the best of your ability. It'll pay-off in spades later.

As stated, find a good surgeon and as questions. Ask if the new knee you're getting has a long and solid track record.

You will be up and walking within 45 minutes to an hour right after surgery; pain-free!

DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY!! You'll be given exercises to do at home on your own and you'll need to meet with a physical therapist. Do not opt for in-home therapy, they will have far more equipment at the rehab center and can do much more with you at a center than in your residence.

This is very important; pain killers before therapy and pain killers afterwards. I was given hydrocodones and they worked, but don't take them any longer than needed.

Take pain meds on schedule wether you need them or not. If you allow the pain to get away from you, it's takes like two or three times the meds to get it back under control.

They told me my worst days would be day 3, 4 and 5. My worst days were actually days 6, 7, and 8. After that it all starts getting better.

It will be natural to feel pain as you recover, your body is healing, nerves start to "feel" again, but it's nothing unbearable. This lasted a year or so with me. The soreness and a little pain didn't fully subside until about the 2-year mark, but I was up and moving.

Stay on the recumbant bike. My bike done me more good AFTER the surgery, as it helped my regain a full range of motion and helped to strengthen the muscles that had been cut, etc.

Before my surgery, I was livining on pain killers to maintain a somewhat active life style. Some mornings it was a very big deal to walk out of my house and get into my truck to go to work. TKR gave me my life back and I am so thankful for living in a day, time and place where I could be fixed. We take our medical care in this country for granted.

I can no longer run distance as I used to, so I use a bike. I'm back in the gym, but I no longer do squats. I had to modify my life slightly, but for the most part, I do what I want, when I want. I go up hills, down hills and around hills and you will too.

If you have any questions moving forward, please ask.

I wish you the best, Godspeed.

ETA: it appears Shrapnel had his incision stapled. Ask for dissolving sutures, you'll thank me for this later. My sutures were the dissolving type and I didn't have to go through the pain of having staples removed.
Posted By: MegaMehg Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
I wish you the best, I don't have a knee problem but i have a terrible back pain and i think i know what you are going through.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
As I type this, I'm three weeks post op on a TKR of my left knee. I had the right knee replaced ten weeks prior to that. It hurts, no doubt about it, but the right knee is coming along just fine, and I predict the left will as well. It just takes time.

I will be losing medical benefits soon, so I had to get both done so close together.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you ask the anesthesiologist for the nerve block on the knee and the spinal as well. Absolutely no pain post op for the first 24 hours.....get a good nights sleep the first night.....it will be your last for awhile!

Good luck!

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Frogman43: Thank you for that bit of information on the "nerve block" - I did not know about that!
I think I could have used that procedure when I had my left knee replaced 2 1/2 years ago.
Heaven forbid, should I ever need my right knee replaced I will take you advice there.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
There was a wild ass talk show host in Atlanta. He went in for TKR. He had them give him a spinal block, and during surgery he was propped up on pillows, and he watched the entire surgery.
Posted By: willycc Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
High commode or riser seat and powered recliner chair I didn’t have either for my knee.If I get the other done I’ll have both. I think it was 8+ weeks till I got a good nights sleep
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
My sis just went through this. She healed amazingly fast! I am jonesin for the same deal from 40 years of finishing concrete, among things! I like a regimen of gatorade(or other ) and psyllium husk powder(way cheaper) for the constipation!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Originally Posted by troublesome82
My sis just went through this. She healed amazingly fast! I am jonesin for the same deal from 40 years of finishing concrete, among things! I like a regimen of gatorade(or other ) and psyllium husk powder(way cheaper) for the constipation!
Generic Walmart colace is your friend.
Posted By: cruzerbotz Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
My knees have been an issue for forty years. First surgery on the left for torn cartilage in 1979. Before they did arthroscopic. They didn't do much PT back then. Finally got to semi normal for about fifteen years. Then more issues that I delt with. Finally arthroscopic surgery on the left in 2001. On the right in 2002. Held me for a little longer. By 2009 couldn't bend my left knee enough to shift gears on a motorcycle. Time for replacement on the left. In July. Then the right three days before Thanksgiving. Got out of the hospital on Thanksgiving Day. Did fairly well for a while. Left was becoming a big issue after ten years. Back in. The plastic had worn out and there was so much scar tissue the doc was amazed the knee even bent. Didn't get to do much PT on the retread. COVID hit and everyone was home. Now, my next adventure is my right wrist. De-boning scheduled for the end of November.

Take the good meds as little as possible. Yes, it hurts. But it gets better. Elevate. Ice. Those ice machines that circulate water are great and not that expensive.

Was driving a week and a half after the left knee done. Actually drove a week after the right knee was done. LOL Saw the PA six weeks after surgery and she asked how I got there. When I pantomimed driving, she shook her head and said she didn't want to know.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
The wife had one knee replaced earlier this year, she only had one day where the pain made her ask herself what had she done. Otherwise with pain meds and cold pad she tolerated it well, her surgeon glued the incision so no stitches or staples. He also sent PT instructions home with her and she rehabbed by exercising at home. The last three months she has been riding the bike at the gym, she has the second knee scheduled for December. With modern anesthesia there is no reason to fear ortho surgery. I speak from experience having had both hips replaced and both shoulders rotator cuff repair.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Knee replacement - 10/04/22
Be VERY CAREFUL with Extra Strength Tylenol, it can wreck your liver. It's not something you want to be on long term. I know because I've BTDT !
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22

I have no idea. I was a champ at physical therapy
I can walk fine but it hurts to do simple things like get in and out of bed.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22
Originally Posted by frogman43
As I type this, I'm three weeks posy op on a TKR of my left knee. I had the right knee replaced ten weeks prior to that. It hurts, no doubt about it, but the right knee is coming along just fine, and I predict the left will as well. It just takes time.

I will be losing medical benefits soon, so I had to get both done so close together.

I would HIGHLY suggest that you ask the anesthesiologist for the nerve block on the knee and the spinal as well. Absolutely no pain post op for the first 24 hours.....get a good nights sleep the first night.....it will be your last for awhile!

Good luck!

Frog---OUT!

Frog.

Dude, you're tougher than I am. One was enough. And I'm really glad that the other one appears to be holding up well.

10 weeks between them. I'm just glad to hear it's going well for you.

Sorry to hear about losing the medical benes, that kinda sucks.

Other than that, I hope all is well with you and yours.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22

What about stairs or squatting down to pick something up?

Uphill and downhill walking?

As I mentioned, mine just aches at times, and creaks and pops when it moves. But, I can at least walk a few miles without major pain like pre-op.
Posted By: MegaMehg Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22
I stopped sleeping facing down and my knee pain stopped...Hope this can help someone.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22
Just got tossed a real big curve ball.. Surgeon's office called during my hospital pre OP visit and testing and told me I HAVE to quit smoking before the surgery??? (Not stop for a bit, QUIT permanently) Been smoking for 50+ years, not going to be able stop in a week and a half. I guess nicotine has an affect on the bone and cement they use? Would have been nice if they had told me that before all the testing etc. Back to square one I guess.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Knee replacement - 10/05/22
Come on, use some will power. Yes, smoking makes it difficult for the bones and incisions to heal. Just lay off for now, six weeks after surgery you can start up again.
Posted By: lightman Re: Knee replacement - 10/06/22
Several of my friends have had it done and they all said they wish they had done it sooner. They all also said to push yourself on the rehab while you are on the pain meds.

Do your home work. Talk with anyone you know who's had it done and pick a Doc thats done a lot of them.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: Knee replacement - 10/06/22
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have finally gotten to the point where it is time to have it done. I know several have had this done here on the fire, any tips or suggestions? If the left one goes well, the right knee is next..

Try PRP injections first...
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Knee replacement - 10/06/22
Originally Posted by Valsdad

What about stairs or squatting down to pick something up?

Uphill and downhill walking?

As I mentioned, mine just aches at times, and creaks and pops when it moves. But, I can at least walk a few miles without major pain like pre-op.

I can do all that. Pulling my pants on hurts, kneeling, moving abruptly and standing around kills me
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Knee replacement - 10/06/22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I remember that. It was a fun day, wasn’t it?
smile

If you say so…………

It certainly improved after the Advil advice.
© 24hourcampfire