Home
Posted By: 10gaugemag Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I do.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I have never, ever had a problem with them. Probably killed 50+ deer with just nosler bt

I never understood all of the crying and bedwetting over them

Probably fools with their shots of desperation at a forkie in thick brush
Same goes for Gamekings.

I like them too.
Kilt lots of varmints with them. They work well for that. Never used them on anything bigger tho. I've a supply of suitable big game slugs that'll outlast me.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
HORNADY ALL THE WAY ,,,, piss on all you big high falluut'n rich guys with your NBT's and your fancy cars
Nope! AccuBonds for me!
Posted By: Judman Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I do.

You already know brother bri👊🏻
I use them in my 7mm08. Nosler bts.
Posted By: JPro Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I like them fine as a general purpose bullet on deer-sized stuff, provided they are 120gr or bigger and aren't going at warp speed. If they do fall in those other categories, they are often more frangible (of course) and shot selection/placement should be made accordingly. I know there are plenty of folks that love the NBT in the 6mm and .257 offerings but I prefer a sturdier bullet in those calibers for general purpose big game use where I don't want to have to try to limit myself to lungs.
Posted By: efw Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Love em; .243/90gr, .257/100gr, 6.5mm/120 & 140gr, 7mm 120 gr, 308 cal 168 gr, 338 cal 180 & 200gr all da bomb
If the Hornady SST is considered a ballistic tip, then yes - they are a deer-killing projectile of the highest order.
Posted By: WMR Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I can't remember. Haven't seen one in so long. Does Nosler still make bullets?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
They blow large holes in deer. But I never had a deer run off when hit with a Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I’ve never used them in center fire. But I don’t think much of them in my rimfires.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
They blow large holes in deer. But I never had a deer run off when hit with a Ballistic Tip.
Me likes big holes.
I love the 50 grain Nosler BT in my CZ 527 in .223! A max charge of 25.0 grains of IMR 3031 over a Remington 7-1/2 primer gives me 3200 FPS and sub .5 MOA. I use it primarily for head shots on hogs. I killed a feral barabdo sheep at 103 yards with the same load and a point of the shoulder shot made him DRT. My wife killed a 150 lb. hog this past weekend with a broadside shoulder shot. I didn't think the bullet would work very well on a broadside pig, but the boar only went about 20 yards before taking a dirt nap.

I've shot the 140's in a .270, the 140's in a 7 Mag and the 100's in my 257 Bob. With the exception of the 257 Bob, they've all been very accurate and have performed very well on deer sized game.
Only ever used the varmint model.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Good stuff for sure.
I've read that Nosler beefed up the BT because so many guys are using them for deer instead of varmints. Is that true? Anyway, I've used AB's for years, mainly because I get half priced blems from ShootersProShop when they have them. They do a good job on elk although I've had a couple come apart.
Posted By: Fuelman Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I use them and try to keep muzzle velocity below 3100fps, but usually use Accubonds in place of Btips. Now, if only Nosler would provide them for purchase!
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read that Nosler beefed up the BT because so many guys are using them for deer instead of varmints. Is that true? Anyway, I've used AB's for years, mainly because I get half priced blems from ShootersProShop when they have them. They do a good job on elk although I've had a couple come apart.
They have a Varmint version as well as a Hunting version.
Posted By: Plumdog Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I use Combined Technologies Ballistic Silvertips in 4 or 5 different calibers, and find they group a little better than Ballistic Tips. Antelope to Elk they work fine.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I use them in my 7mm08. Nosler bts.
Kind of the same. Ballistic Silvertips here. Just because I have a ton of em and the guy that had my 7-08 used em so I stuck with what was working
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I do.

I like them for varmints. I shoot VMAX instead if the accuracy is functionally comparable .. sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

I don't shoot them at game animals. They'd probably work but with so many bullets out there which have proven themselves to me already .. say accubonds and partitions .. why bother so long as those that I know work already shoot accurately enough? I only see trying something new when something I've already got isn't working well enough.

Tom
95 grainers from my son’s .243 have performed flawlessly on deer.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I use a lot of them
Posted By: EdM Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I have never tried them.
Originally Posted by hanco
I use a lot of them
Boom!!
Posted By: killerv Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Me!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: FSJeeper Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I use them because they are so damn accurate. Meat damage is an issue. I have slowed down my loads and moved up to 180 grain bullets in the 30 06 to reduce meat damage and it has worked.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: mathman Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
On deer and pigs they've been very good.

6mm 95
6.5mm 120
277" 130
308" 150, 165, 168
Posted By: Judman Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22

I think I got some 140-150 284 bt’s, I’ll check if I do I’ll give em to ya Brian
Posted By: jlink280 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I shoot them in everything from 22-458 caliber. 140gr 7mms were the gateway drug when I started reloading.
Posted By: Mossy Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
They’ve always done well by me, 270 Winchester and 30-06.
They a'ight
I like them and I use the 120BT in my 7-08. It works well, but I don't think the 120 is as tough as touted. I've caught the last 3 of them I launched at WT bucks, yet similar shots on bucks with the 7mm 120 Sierra Prohunter bullet gave pass-throughs.
The early ballistic tips from the 80's sucked on deer. They blew up on impact. I hope Nosler improved them. I use Accubonds and Barnes these days.
Some of the most fun I've had was using a 110gr BT in a 300WM on woodchucks. No sense in lookin for em when you hit em.
for the type of hunting I do, just plain old cup/core bullets work fine
Old BT's are a hoot in small caliber high velocity rifles. They will scatter brains so far and wide there is no clean up needed.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I was fine tuning an 85gr. NBT, 25-06,ssc4831, noslers biggest varmint bullet on a windless mid February day on public land near Firebird Raceway, Emmett, Idaho.
It just so happened to be the time of year ground squirrels mate, the big males travel hole to hole looking for hot females. Big fat one was facing away from me at 35-40 yards. BOOM, disappeared as I looked at the spot where it had been sitting. A head neck and partial front leg fell from the sky. Hands down the most memorable hang-time ever for me. >I've been on three PD shooting trips [at least 1500 total hits], likely shot Grey Diggers 50-60 times so I've seen my share of hard hits.
32gr, v-max, 26'' barrel, scorcher load cfe 223,? 43-4400 fps, boyhowdy, called in crows landed in a tree 35 - 40 yards away kabluufOO
Posted By: dale06 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
From prairie dogs to deer, and anything in between, they work great.
Posted By: MTGunner Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Never had a complaint about not being dead snuff! MTG
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Shot a lot of coyotes with 6 mm Remington 70 BT. Work great. Used the 55 too.

Son shot a antelope broadside at 200 yards. Worked great.

I guess the WT buck he shot frontal chest at 40 feet was impressive. Impact velocity probably did qualify for warp speed. That buck went straight down. The bullet did not exit but it made it into the chest cavity and destroyed stuff.

I shot a lion with the same 70 BT at around 100 yards and it performed well. Also a wolf at 350ish.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
They were very explosive in the 80's, so I stopped using them. It took me some years but went back to them again around 04-05 time frame and they have been just fine.
Posted By: mlschnei Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I don’t. Got some 140 grain .284 if anybody wants them.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I do.

P/dogs ?

V Max wins
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Back when SPS had them on sale for $12/50 blems I used a heck of a lot of the 150 gr. BT out of my 7x57. I loaded them to 2600 fps and they were awesome. I recovered a few but mostly from big hogs hit from angles that took a lot of penetration. I pared it with the 140 grain Partition loaded to slightly higher velocity and the two loads hit right on top of each other. I have to say my association with Nosler has been good, far better than Barnes.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
I love them.

I use both the hunting and varmint version in multiple calibers.

They have worked great on anything I've shot with one
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I was fine tuning an 85gr. NBT, 25-06,ssc4831, noslers biggest varmint bullet on a windless mid February day on public land near Firebird Raceway, Emmett, Idaho.
It just so happened to be the time of year ground squirrels mate, the big males travel hole to hole looking for hot females. Big fat one was facing away from me at 35-40 yards. BOOM, disappeared as I looked at the spot where it had been sitting. A head neck and partial front leg fell from the sky. Hands down the most memorable hang-time ever for me. >I've been on three PD shooting trips [at least 1500 total hits], likely shot Grey Diggers 50-60 times so I've seen my share of hard hits.
32gr, v-max, 26'' barrel, scorcher load cfe 223,? 43-4400 fps, boyhowdy, called in crows landed in a tree 35 - 40 yards away kabluufOO

Ha Ha yeah I was like that 40 years ago. Hah! Shot more than a few crows and waited for the heads to hit the ground. A 110 grain 30 carbine bullet pushed fast out of a 30-06 has splatter factor, especially the Hollow point.
Posted By: Sako Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/20/22
For me they have been the best deer bullet ever invented... 30 cal 165 grain out of a 30-06... it is like they are struck by lightning... I am color blind and have a real problem blood trailing deer if there is any dampness on the ground... that is why I like the BT's... almost never track anything
Originally Posted by tikkanut
I do.

P/dogs ?

V Max wins
Kind of a trolling/baiting thread........it worked.🤣🤣
Originally Posted by Sako
For me they have been the best deer bullet ever invented... 30 cal 165 grain out of a 30-06... it is like they are struck by lightning... I am color blind and have a real problem blood trailing deer if there is any dampness on the ground... that is why I like the BT's... almost never track anything
I have a friend who is color blind. If I were picking a rifle/cartridge and bullet for him, it would likely be a 30-06 with the 165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, or the 270 with the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
My first experience with the very early ones wasn't so good. 100grn. .257's, 150 # Whitetail.

Was going to abandon them when I read the first ones in hunting weights weren't satisfactory as I'd guessed, & had been upgraded.

Every one since, both the varmint & hunting has been good. But...if the chips are really down, the partition is my go to.
Posted By: viking Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Back in 88-89 they sucked. Frangibles almost.

Now they are pretty hard to beat.
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
The early ballistic tips from the 80's sucked on deer. They blew up on impact. I hope Nosler improved them. I use Accubonds and Barnes these days.

That was my experience with remington ballistic tips from that time frame .. once was enough for me.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Love them. Load them in 6 mm 90&95 , 25 100&115, 270 130 and 7 mm 120-140&150. Used the 115 CT in my 25-284 this past weekend on 3. Bang flops on all of them.

GreggH
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
My only ballistic tip expierance is with the 40gr in 224 and 20 calibers. I love them and sage rats hate them when they see one coming.

I think Nosler quit making them or something cuz I haven't seen any on the shelf for the past two years.
I think Bob Fulkrod liked them. I hope I spelled his name right.

I've used them, always with good luck. I killed a cow elk with 180 grain .308 bullet fired from a 300 Win. Mag.
Only one shot.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Use them a lot.....however haven't bought any and won't either, until their pricing comes down...

Since Covid Crap and then Biden & the DemocRATS turning the value of a dollar into 39 cents, what I use to pay around $11 for a box of 50 of 95 grain ballistic tips in 6mm, saw a box of them prices at Sportsman's Warehouse for $71.50...

Drug dealer and meth head prices...
Have shot thousands of them. Mostly hunt with contender wildcats. At moderate velocity’s the BT’s work super.
I like them. .284 150gr has been a go to.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
I do to.
I used them years ago when they were supposed to be bombs .Never had any real issues.
Last time I played with them ..
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15603745/1

dave
Posted By: jeeper Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
I do.

Yep
hate them. more deer lost with them over the years by friends than any other bullet. sst is just as bad. i shoot lead tip bullets only unless im varmit hunting.
Posted By: killerv Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Originally Posted by srwshooter
hate them. more deer lost with them over the years by friends than any other bullet. sst is just as bad. i shoot lead tip bullets only unless im varmit hunting.

and my friends and I have had the opposite experience. Probably bad shot placement, i can only speak for our Ga whitetail, but if you shoot for lungs behind the shoulder ballistic is not the bullet for that. The only deer I've ever had run, and they didn't go far, were shots a tad back.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Me likes big holes.
Big holes = lots of blood.
I have used them for almost 40 years and have never had a problem on deer, elk or hogs. Shots have ranged from 10 yards to almost 500. If you place the bullet correctly, it will work.
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I have used them for almost 40 years and have never had a problem on deer, elk or hogs. Shots have ranged from 10 yards to almost 500. If you place the bullet correctly, it will work.

They do NOT make up for pulled shots or less than capable long range shooters.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
The 85gr .257 at 3800 is decisive one deer size stuff. Shoot them in the chest and you can pour the lungs out their nose.
The 55gr .224 is an outstanding bullet on coyotes and pretty decent on pigs.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
I use the 120s in my 6.5x55 for the last 20 years. never lost a deer, and only had to follow a blood trail once to recover one. I like them.
Posted By: hrnhuntr Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Killed lots of critters with them and like them.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Love em for varmint sized critters

They work good on deer with proper shot placement.

The Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets are bad deer medicine.
For years my primary whitetail rifle was a 300 Saum shooting 150gr BTs at about 3200 fps. There isn’t a whitetail on the planet it wouldn’t put down and right now, near and far.
Originally Posted by Judman

I think I got some 140-150 284 bt’s, I’ll check if I do I’ll give em to ya Brian
I will take you up on that Justin.
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
For years my primary whitetail rifle was a 300 Saum shooting 150gr BTs at about 3200 fps. There isn’t a whitetail on the planet it wouldn’t put down and right now, near and far.
Bet it was instant lights out.
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Bet it was instant lights out.

Best cartridge/bullet combination for bang/flop/dead right there I have ever shot. Spitting distance to ~400 yards. Of course being a looney took over and I rebarrelled to 6.5 saum
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
I'm a fan.... Moose was shot through the shoulder at 60 yards. 165 Nosler ballistic tip out of a 308 winchester at 2740 MV.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Knife blade for reference is 3"

10gaugemag: I have used them for a VERY long time in a variety of calibers.
I get exceptional accuracy using Nosler Ballistic Tips - especially in my Remington 700 VLS in caliber 260 Remington (100 grainers) and out of my Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester caliber (130 grain).
Just 5 days ago I harvested a dandy Buck Antelope with one shot at a Leica laser ranged 446 yards with my 270 Sendero and the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.
I do NOT remember ever having to shoot a Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer or Antelope more than ONCE when using Nosler Ballistic Tips - I am guesstimating I have harvested 60+ of the aforementioned species using Nosler Ballistic Tips.
I am an avid proponent and user of Nosler Ballistic Tips on medium sized big game as well as for all manner of Varmints and predators.
Long live Nosler - a fine American Company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Srwshooter: Counsel your "friends" on practicing their field shooting accuracy! Please.
Nosler Baliistic Tips are superb "Deer bullets"!
Take it from someone who knows!
NO Deer on earth can survive a properly placed heart/lung shot when a proper size/weight Nosler Ballistic Tip is used!
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Westman Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/21/22
Originally Posted by viking
Back in 88-89 they sucked. Frangibles almost.

Now they are pretty hard to beat.

This.
Had some eye opening experiences with the 270 back then. Went back to partitions and now shoot them and barnes with the exception of 140 accubonds in my 7X57. That rifle just loves the accubond.
165 .308.
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by srwshooter

and my friends and I have had the opposite experience. Probably bad shot placement, i can only speak for our Ga whitetail, but if you shoot for lungs behind the shoulder ballistic is not the bullet for that. The only deer I've ever had run, and they didn't go far, were shots a tad back.
I know for a fact that SST's have put down several deer that I made marginal hits on. Caught one broadside about 1.5 inches just inside the chest in front of the shoulders and due to the way it expanded and basically exploded it dropped that bastid.
Originally Posted by Torqued
Love em for varmint sized critters

They work good on deer with proper shot placement.

The Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets are bad deer medicine.
In my experience, they work exceptionally well in cases of poor shot placement on deer. If I catch the edge of a kill zone on a whitetail I had rather it be with a Hornady SST or Nosler Ballistic Tip than a Barnes solid or a Core-Lokt.
Posted By: boomer68 Re: Who likes Ballistic Tips? - 10/25/22
Shot a WT deer at about 100yds with the 165 BT out of a 30/06 and it dropped where it stood. Lungs were jelly and no meat loss. Another time I took a WT at 220yds with a 115 BT from a 25/06 and it went about 5ft and dropped. Same results as with the 30/06.
Ballistic tips are my favorite whitetail bullet.
© 24hourcampfire