Home
Me????
Any of them really except the Leupold ones.
They are too expensive and not that well made.
Edges of the felt pad wear to quickly exposing down to the rubber tip and they leave streak shadows on glass.
The tip assembly falls off with the slightest amount of side flexion.

Burris
Bushnell
Nikon
Even the wally world ones are better than the lupy ones.

Today's big mission...

Find a new lense pen.
Have had this Burris one for 2years
The dry rub stuff supposedly on the sponge inside the cap is beginning to Peter out.
Taking 2 or 3 times hitting a lens to get it clean
Instead of the normal 1 to 2.

Do any of you breathe a fog on the lens before the 1st cleaning inward to outward edge cleaning???

What about brush use on the opposite side of the lens pen to knock dust or whatever off.
I always blow air on the lens as hard as I can to blow stuff out before lightly using the brush.
Thats only if the brush is needed before the lense pad cleaning session.

I'm pretty ocd about cleaning the lense on my scoped wpns at the end of a hunting day.

Today is a down day from hitting the woodline.

Thoughts on lens pens????

Bytches
Gripes
Complaints.

Positive input???

Discuss????

Sockpuppeteer input????
Cause you didlo,s probably don't know what a lens pen is to fuuuuking begin with anyways....
You jackwagons can just Google fu up some "nuggets of knowledge" and post like you actually have hands on experience.

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrgh....
I don't recall what brand the one I have for my telescope is, but it works well. Meade, maybe?

I hardly ever pull the old tube out anymore since I don't really trust my kid around that many dollars worth of glass and aluminum. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
Used the Leupold and didn’t like it. I try to clean as little as possible but when have to I blow the dust off and use a microfiber cloth.
Allen...
That's the wally world off brand one.
Just remembered.
Haven't seen em for a couple yrs.

Fuuuuuuking Chinese
Fuuuuking up every fuuking thing....

πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

Arrrrgh...
I have a couple of these. Have found them to be more than adequate. YMMV

https://www.burrisoptics.com/accessories/lens-pen
Midsouth had the Leopold ones in stock about a week or 2 ago

15 fuuuuuuking 99...

And I think Bushnell ones for 7.99 or 8.99.

πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄ lupy.....

Arrrrrgh......
I just use the lil micro fiber cloth that folds into a key ring pouch.

Clip to my to binos.
16 bucks? For a little bit of lens juice and a sponge on a stick? 😬

I never used mine lot, even when I was using the scope regularly... mostly just for the little finder. I avoid cleaning the primary as much as possible... dust isn't permanent, but scuffs on glass are.
I like compressed air, followed by the soft brush end of a Leupy lens pen (blow the brush out too), another blast of air on the glass, and then a disposable Ziess wipe/wetnap if it needs it.

Anybody coat their lenses with non-static stuff to keep dust at bay?. Seems like I've heard of fabric softener or some such thing, but never tried it. I fight more dust than I do dirt/mud/smudges.
Blow the big chunks off, fog the lense and wipe with a piece of discarded T-shirt. 100% cotton, ribbed. Alcohol pads work but I’m not sure about compatibility with coatings. But blow the big chunks off before anything else.
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
I have a couple of these. Have found them to be more than adequate. YMMV

https://www.burrisoptics.com/accessories/lens-pen
YepπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Got a variant of that bad boy.
It works well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sure would like to hear from some of our " nuggets of abstract knowledge" sockpuppeteers on this subject.
Always love their input πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Lens pens!!!

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrrgh!!!!
I like the spray bottle and microfiber cloth better.
Nikon
Well.....
Gotta go scrub the Va Jay Jay and brush the fangs.
And then off on the great lens pen hunt...

Hopefully by the time I check this thread again.
Maybe some sockpuppeteers will have chimed in on it and blessed us all with some interesting factoids and their experience with lens pens!!!

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrgh.....
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I like the spray bottle and microfiber cloth better.

That’s what I use on the rare occasion I clean the lenses. I blow them out with canned air 99% of the time.
I use spit and the corner of my shirt
I fog it with my breath and do the same
Renegade50: Leupold lens pens work pretty well for me on the RARE occasions I use them - dittos for the Nikon lens pens. I carry one in my VarmintMobiles jockey box.
I more often use my squeeze air bulb fine bristle brushes and then Zeiss lens cleaning solution and Kodak lense cleaning tissue to finish.
I use GREAT care in cleaning all my optics lenses (spotting scopes, binoculars, laser range finders, cameras and Rifle scopes).
Dust is a big problem in the regions I Hunt and I much prefer to air blow the dust away before any cleaning is done - and I prefer to do that cleaning back at home in my gun room.
I take along the "lens brushes" mostly for my visiting Hunting mates - I am often stunned at the amount of gray dust that has accumulated on my friends optic lenses.
They notice and appreciate the improved clarity after cleaning.
I even have another spare lens pen in my "range gear box".
The lens pens are useful but NOT my first choice for lens cleaning and coating protecting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
slumloud: You are not funny - you are stupid!
And you never seem to pass up ANY opportunity to prove your stupidity!
Worthless.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have a Leopold and a Nikon. I sometimes just use the Zeiss lens wipes instead of a pen
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Worthless.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Mister Dale Gibbons you are old and queer, and never go outside. Get someone to change your loaded diaper.

Post of pic your favorite lens pen, or shut your rotten pie hole.
Hit your local camera shop,they are picky about clean lenses. !
Originally Posted by slumlord
Worthless.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You go out of your to mention something toward me, obviously I love under the bed in your nightmares.

Mister Dale Gibbons you are old and queer, and never go outside. Get someone to change your loaded diaper.

I was under the assumption that Lens Pens are made by Lens Pen and simply supplied to others in the optics industry with their brand printed on them.

https://lenspen.com/
Zeiss lens wipes, followed by a coating of cat crap, if it's cold enough to fog lens. Zeiss wipes only in good weather.
My lens pens HAVE to be made by Montblanc and cost a minimum of $500. Anything less that that and you might as well use toilet paper.
Originally Posted by kingston
I was under the assumption that Lens Pens are made by Lens Pen and simply supplied to others in the optics industry with their brand printed on them.

https://lenspen.com/
Huh .....
Makes sense..
Brands want x spec and look with their logo.

Might explain why lupys are schitty IMO.
They want the lowest spec, put their logo on it and charge the highest price.
All makes sense now..

Pretty fuuuuking fruitless search so far
Mid south 0
Academy 0
3 wally world's 0
Rural king 0

Gonna probably do what LROY said about a camera shop.
Probably be like Lupy priced....
One I got will last the season.
Just nice to have a new one...

πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrrgh.....
Worthless.
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Oh my.....

Slumlord and Varmintguy at it again.

Who woulda seen that coming over a lense pen thread.

πŸ₯΄πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ₯΄

Arrrrgh....
Was kinda hoping by now one of the sockpuppeteers would have chimed in with some tech talk or 1st hand experience to contribute..

Guess not....

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrgh......
I have several of the Leupold version and they’ve done well for me. I blow the dust off, then gently use the brush. I give the little cup a couple of twists in its cap and then I fog the lens. Then I gently use the little cup to clean the lens. If I still have streaks on the lens, I’ll fog it again and use the cup again. I use little circles with the pen starting at the center of the lens, moving out toward the edge.
Any mofo that uses a lense pen just ain’t outdoors that much
I'd never even heard of lens pens before this morning. I use a microfiber cloth after fogging the lenses with my breath.

But my scopes are what many here consider garbage, usually costing less than a 10th of my house payment.
I bought a couple of the Leopolds when they were 8-9 bucks. I've used one them and it worked OK for getting water marks etc off the lenses. I figure they eventually get loaded with trash & grit and should be tossed like a disposable lighter.
I suspect they're all made in the same Chinese factory who stamps the name of whoever orders them. I keep an old lens pen around and use the little brush to get dust off the lens before wiping them with Zeiss lens wipes. Seems to work best for me.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'd never even heard of lens pens before this morning. I use a microfiber cloth after fogging the lenses with my breath.

But my scopes are what many here consider garbage, usually costing less than a 10th of my house payment.

Right on brother.

If the coatings are so crappy that blowing the dust out, fogging, and cleaning with my shirt damage it…give me cheap !

Next crazy azz story we’ll here is folk actually clean their rifles more than once a decade.
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Any mofo that uses a lense pen just ain’t outdoors that much
Everyone takes care of their tools differently. Some clean and polish before and after use. Others just do basic maintenance, like wiping off before putting away, many just put them away and only clean when they don't preform correctly. Guns are tools and the same attention is given, by each group.
Probably has the pen attached to the scope with a rubber and too
Yeah, man, either the corner of my shirt or whatever bar/restaurant napkin I happen to have in my pocket. blush
Originally Posted by renegade50
Was kinda hoping by now one of the sockpuppeteers would have chimed in with some tech talk or 1st hand experience to contribute..

Guess not....

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrgh......
You need better bait.
My Leupold LensPen is about 22 years old - the felt cleaning pad is unworn around the edges. But then I don't use it on my scopes very often, either.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by skeen
Yeah, man, either the corner of my shirt or whatever bar/restaurant napkin I happen to have in my pocket. blush
Ohh but but but VarmintPen has one in every orifice and within reach at all times. πŸ˜€πŸ‘
And still no sockpuppet maseypoo one responds.
Or other campfire d bag extraordinaires that live vicariously on the web..

Gee ...

The only reason I started the rather seemingly mundane thread was a chance to do the

"That's it Mister off you go to ignore" deal for a specifically targeted audience.

πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Arrrrrgh......

P.S.....

Camera shop on Madison Street had......

Leupold ones for 17.99...
And they had a dust coating on em.
Been hanging on the rack for god knows how long.
Probably the better quality ones they sold a decade ago.
JFC.......
Love the new Avitar Ren, Arrrrgh. lol

My "North American Hunting Club" lens pen is still in tip top shape.
I vapor blast mine then wipe with a non boogerd silk snot rag.
I've got a camera lens kit in my camera bag. Nice brushes, fluffy up to stiff, separately bagged, compressed air, three kinds of wipes, chamois...all this stuff is bagged to keep dust away. Compressed air first, air the brush before during and after, and only after that use anything wet.
Lens caps and camera filters that screw into a scope's threading also apply, I won't buy a scope any more where I can't screw in a filter or at least a short shade tube. Worst case, the muck hits the filter which is way cheaper than the front focusing element. You can dunk the filter in a creek, not so much the scope.
Rear lens isn't quite so critical as the front, but I'm still careful cleaning. Ground glass doesn't like to be scratched.
I have a leupold one. I've had it several years, but don't use it much, mosly just use the zeiss lens wipes.
LensPen = great tool for grinding dirt across the surface of your lenses.
Older version of this - Zeiss Kit, along with a small sealed bag of Q-Tips to apply and dry cleaning fluid. Once one end of a Q-Tip comes off glass, it never touches it again.

I can’t believe anyone who pays for glass would stick a f’n lens pen on it. Unless they simply don’t know any better, or can just buy new glass when it’s swirled and scratched to hell. Any of you wax or buff your truck before washing it?
Kodak lens cleaner and lens tissue, good enough for camera lenses works well on binoculars and rifle scopes.
Originally Posted by MattMan
Older version of this - Zeiss Kit, along with a small sealed bag of Q-Tips to apply and dry cleaning fluid. Once one end of a Q-Tip comes off glass, it never touches it again.

I can’t believe anyone who pays for glass would stick a f’n lens pen on it. Unless they simply don’t know any better, or can just buy new glass when it’s swirled and scratched to hell. Any of you wax or buff your truck before washing it?
This ^^^
Chevy
Stihl
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
LensPen = great tool for grinding dirt across the surface of your lenses.

Yep. The amateur astronomy community generally advises against using a lens pen on telescopes (refractor objective lenses), telescope eyepieces, binoculars, monoculars, etc.

Cleaning Eyepiece and Telescope Optics
Tele Vue Optics, Inc.
https://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?return=Advice&id=103

One of my telescopes:

Cheers! Bob F. smile
Q tips and rubbing alcohol is all I use.
Originally Posted by BFaucett
One of my telescopes:

Cheers! Bob F. smile

Short tube refractor? Haven't really been in the game since my kid got old enough to walk and knock things over. Now that he's gotten older I may start playing around again.
Originally Posted by zcm82
One of my telescopes:

Cheers! Bob F. smile

Short tube refractor? Haven't really been in the game since my kid got old enough to walk and knock things over. Now that he's gotten older I may start playing around again.

Yeah, it's an Astro-Tech AT72EDII. Diameter 72mm, focal length 432mm, f/6. Fully multicoated FPL-53 and Lanthanum doublet refractor optics.

Here's the product page:
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at72edii-refractor-ota-fpl-53-f-6.html

Cheers! Bob F.
Only people who want to scratch the lens of the optics use lens pens. Of course a moron like a "renegade50" would use lens pens.

Clean any debris off with air and then use a clean microfiber cloth changing to a clean part of the cloth constantly to clean the lens of optics.
Yeah, it's an Astro-Tech AT72EDII. Diameter 72mm, focal length 432mm, f/6. Fully multicoated FPL-53 and Lanthanum doublet refractor optics.

Here's the product page:
https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-at72edii-refractor-ota-fpl-53-f-6.html

Cheers! Bob F.

I've got an old Orion 150mm Mak-Cas. Don't recall the exact fl, but it's a fairly slow tube. Works great once the lenses thermal stabilize, but it takes forfuckinever to clear up on a cold night... well over an hour. My tripod is a bit light for it too... stick it on top a VersaGo.
I've got an old Orion 150mm Mak-Cas. Don't recall the exact fl, but it's a fairly slow tube. Works great once the lenses thermal stabilize, but it takes forfuckinever to clear up on a cold night... well over an hour. My tripod is a bit light for it too... stick it on top a VersaGo.

That'll certainly work! PM sent.

Cheers! smile
I use a rouge brush (bought in the makeup department at Walgreens for about $5.00.) Very fine and soft brush cleans lens off nicely.

I also have a second one I use with Barricade to administer rust preventative on guns. Gets it into little nook and cranny of whatever gun needs it.

I just make sure the plastic tube of each is labeled to avoid using the lubricant one on a lens.
Originally Posted by headhunter130
Only people who want to scratch the lens of the optics use lens pens. Of course a moron like a "renegade50" would use lens pens.

Clean any debris off with air and then use a clean microfiber cloth changing to a clean part of the cloth constantly to clean the lens of optics.
Yes!!!!!
Got one!!!
530 post in 14 years
Drawn out of the muck.
Too irrestiable for him to not post.
Swallowed the stink bait and gutthooked baaaaad.

" That's it Mister... off to ignore you go"
#6...

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

Arrrgh.....
I've been here almost 15 years and have maybe 4-5 people on Ignore. But my ignore list on Glocktalk looks like the Los Angeles phone book.
Yes!!!!!
Got one!!!
530 post in 14 years
Drawn out of the muck.

#6...

Arrrgh.....

Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've been here almost 15 years and have maybe 4-5 people on Ignore. But my ignore list on Glocktalk looks like the Los Angeles phone book.

It's a new game for me.
Like a box of chocolates.

πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

Arrrrrrgh.....
Yes!!!!!
Got one!!!
530 post in 14 years
Drawn out of the muck.

#6...

Arrrgh.....

🀣🀣🀣

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ΄β€β˜ οΈπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Arrrrrgh....
© 24hourcampfire