Home
Posted By: wabigoon New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
crazy Grand daughter has a 2021 Kia, no nothing! No spare tire, no jack, no wheel wrench!

End of rant.
She must be really special.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
should'a coulda bought a 'Yota
Posted By: kendibs Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
That's been going on for a long time with certain vehicle manufacturers.

-Ken
Wheel wrench......
Posted By: Teal Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
I got a 22 Toyota - full size spare

It's mfg/model specific I'd bet.
Were they out of Hyundais?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
They have a friend that sells Kia's,
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Great friend
Eventually they will have air free tires on all cars and eliminate the spare and tire tools.
Half the people buying new cars today probably don't even know how to change a tire.
It makes perfect sense to me...none of these whippersnappers knows how to change a tire anyway. Call AAA anyway...can't get their yoga pants dirty or break a fingernail, and that's just the guys.
Posted By: Osky Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Guess you know what to get the granddaughter for her birthday!
Make lemonade Wabi…

Osky
Better get AAA
Sometimes you have to take them out to make room for more important things...

Originally Posted by tikkanut
should'a coulda bought a 'Yota

Daughter has a Kia Sportage. At the time she bought it (2 1/2 years ago) she could have bought 2 for the price of a comparable Toyota. So far it's been a great little car for her.
Posted By: Raeford Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Junkyard[they's full of Kia's],

Buy a wheel/tire/jack/wrench
Posted By: muleshoe Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22

Friends don’t sell Kia’s to friends.
Wisconsin thread not doing so well.
Start a spare tire thread.....

#supertrollslifeismundaneonthe360°featurelesshorizon

Even the pet monkey on the ship is on too it.....

🤣🤣🤣🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤣🤣🤣

argh.................
Posted By: JeffA Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
crazy Grand daughter has a 2021 Kia, no nothing! No spare tire, no jack, no wheel wrench!

End of rant.

When the auto manufacturer is aware the tires will out last the expected life of the cars they sell.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Everything I own has a spare, but there is also a kit with plugs, tools, and an air compressor in every vehicle. I've plugged and aired up probably 20 tires. Mostly helping other stranded motorists but I've done a few for myself. Sometimes the repair is temporary, but it has gotten me to a tire store where they could make a better repair. Or where I could purchase another tire.

I'm 64 and know how to put on a spare but have only had to do it once in my life. I had a hole too big to plug once. It is so much easier, faster and safer to simply plug the tire with it on the vehicle if possible. I could live without a spare as long as I have my repair kit and a compressor. Buy those tools and a compressor for your granddaughter and teach her how to use them.

Even if you picked up another spare there probably isn't a place to store it.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Were they out of Hyundais?

What do you do with those? Put 'em in the trunk as a spare vehicle??
Throw a can of Fix a Flat under the seat and your problems are solved.
Originally Posted by JMR40
Everything I own has a spare, but there is also a kit with plugs, tools, and an air compressor in every vehicle. I've plugged and aired up probably 20 tires. Mostly helping other stranded motorists but I've done a few for myself. Sometimes the repair is temporary, but it has gotten me to a tire store where they could make a better repair. Or where I could purchase another tire.

I'm 64 and know how to put on a spare but have only had to do it once in my life. I had a hole too big to plug once. It is so much easier, faster and safer to simply plug the tire with it on the vehicle if possible. I could live without a spare as long as I have my repair kit and a compressor. Buy those tools and a compressor for your granddaughter and teach her how to use them.

Even if you picked up another spare there probably isn't a place to store it.
I doubt wabi has changed a tire before.
Posted By: slumlord Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22

End of rant.
Well ‘Donald-Richard’…

Take your old ass down to the nearest junkyard, Pick-A-Part and get a pull off for $25. Stop by VatoZone and grab her a trolley jack and a 4-way lug. That’s what good grampas do instead of fussing about it on tue internet.

Use some of that half million dollar ‘crop loss’ cash you receive
Trying to remember the last time I saw someone change a tire on the side of the road that wasn't a trailer tire.

End of rant.

Its a fuc.king Kia - what'd you expect. Can't you subsidize a little better ride for her?!
Posted By: Raeford Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by slumlord

End of rant.
Well ‘Donald-Richard’…

Take your old ass down to the nearest junkyard, Pick-A-Part and get a pull off for $25. Stop by VatoZone and grab her a trolley jack and a 4-way lug

Use some of that half million dollar ‘crop loss’ cash you apples for

#sonofabitch
Originally Posted by hillestadj

End of rant.

Its a fuc.king Kia - what'd you expect. Can't you subsidize a little better ride for her?!
Wabzee needed a new F150. LOL
Posted By: hookeye Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
My new Jeep Renegade was a Limited, not Trailhawk, so instead of a spare tire and jack it came w an inflator. Uses some sealer.
Guess that might work, if you get maybe a nail in the tread.

I bought a jack, and full size spare. They sold those as a kit too, but everyplace sold out and the price was twice what I ended up assembling aftermarket.

Its ridiculous.

BTW, kid ran over some crap, slow leak, just got back from tire place. Not fixable
The GF just bought an Audi Q7 (what a $hitshow that was). Same thing, no spare, but the salesman said - But they have run flat tires.

I have an inflator and a plug kit in each vehicle. Screw run flats.
Wife bought a 2022 Cadillac, no spare, just an leak sealer and a pump, which would be ok, if you had a leak, not if you run over something more substantial.
I bought a spare and jack but nowhere to store it under the cover, it's too big.

So now she complains about the room it takes up, but at least she's not stranded downtown.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by Teal
Trying to remember the last time I saw someone change a tire on the side of the road that wasn't a trailer tire.

Had to change one in my “new” 2013 car on Christmas Eve. Can’t remember the last time before that.

Got burned 15 years ago buying a used car and the tire tools were missing. Before the papers are signed now I make sure everything is there for a tire change. Caught one without a jack and they found a correct jack to put in.

I think if I was buying a new car without tire stuff, I’d walk out without buying.
KIA- - - - - -"Killed In Action"!
Curious - did the include a new timing belt?
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
AAA member since the 90s.
Posted By: tndrbstr Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by renegade50
Wisconsin thread not doing so well.
Start a spare tire thread.....

#supertrollslifeismundaneonthe360°featurelesshorizon

Even the pet monkey on the ship is on too it.....

🤣🤣🤣🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤣🤣🤣

argh.................

Is it just me or does that monkey look like joe piscopo? laugh
Posted By: EdM Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22

End of rant.

Neither my Porsche or Audi have spares and they are a better ride.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jaguartx Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Well Kia my ass.
We just loved it so much, it is the same car the little Gieco gecko drives. We had to have it.
We just loved it so much, it is the same car the little Gieco gecko drives. We had to have it.

If you pull them back really far on the linoleum, they really go....
Posted By: P_Weed Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by garyh9900
Half the people buying new cars today probably don't even know how to change a tire.

- That's a no-brainer. Half the people are women.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22

Actually see it pretty often around here, but we do tend to be a bit backward here in the South. I have noticed that it frequently takes an additional carload or two to get the job done. Its comical to see three cars parked on the side of the road, and a half dozen people watching one guy change the tire. It looks like some kind of government road project.
Passed a work truck on i-40 yesterday with a flat. Electrical contractors on the door.

Ole boy just sittin in his pickup. Figured them mouth breathers that wear Dayglo yellow jobsite shirts were capable types. Maybe he was IBEW and felt it was beneath him.
Originally Posted by EdM

End of rant.

Touche....major difference being I suspect you weren't blindsided by the absence and your world wasn't turned upside down.
Passed a work truck on i-40 yesterday with a flat. Electrical contractors on the door.

Ole boy just sittin in his pickup. Figured them mouth breathers that wear Dayglo yellow jobsite shirts were capable types. Maybe he was IBEW and felt it was beneath him.

Many companies will not allow employees to do maintenance work on company vehicles unless that employee is a trained mechanic. Liability. Especially on the side of the road. That guy gets hurt changing the company tire because they asked him and not a trained mechanic to do things - family ends up owning that company after a lawsuit.

Not saying it's right or even likely but it's risk and most companies really hate risk.
Originally Posted by EdM

End of rant.

Touche....major difference being I suspect you weren't blindsided by the absence and your world wasn't turned upside down.

Quality of tire put on the Teutonics vs Koreans is likely much better as well.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
I don’t know what is worse, being sick with Covid or reading these stupid threads and worthless comments….

Many companies will not allow employees to do maintenance work on company vehicles unless that employee is a trained mechanic. Liability. Especially on the side of the road. That guy gets hurt changing the company tire because they asked him and not a trained mechanic to do things - family ends up owning that company after a lawsuit.

Not saying it's right or even likely but it's risk and most companies really hate risk.

I’ve encountered that before, my county govt job. I had an S-10 with a flat, told the chief I was gonna be late and left a message.
I changed it out in my driveway.
Here comes a Holmes wrecker, big mofo for hauling school buses. Dude was pissed he didn’t get to hook up to it. lol
I didn’t think it was such a big deal. Had it swapped in a few minutes. Blossman talkin bout I couldve gotten hurt. GMAFB, told him I surely call the pussy patrol next time i got flat on my tractor.
We have come a long way from when people used to gripe about a new car coming with a donut spare and not a full sized spare...

The last 3 or 4 trailers I bought didn't come with a spare either. But the dealer would sure sell you one for a couple hundreds bucks.
Posted By: 1minute Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Even if present, one often finds the spare is on an inch or two smaller wheel. Functional, but just not right.

Spares and tools in our cars and two spares (brand new tires), wrenches, and two jacks in the pickup.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I don’t know what is worse, being sick with Covid or reading these stupid threads and worthless comments….
Don’t be virtue signaling with Covid in a Wabi thread !9
Posted By: Redneck Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by garyh9900
Hah... A LOT more than "half"..
Right after I bought my first car back in 1970 I learned that Jack handle lug wrenches were only that. Pop the hubcap, maybe break the lug nuts and a jack handle. Very shortly learning the value of a 4 way. 20 years ago I bought a small floor jack and figured I'm good to go.cigaret lighter socket for tire inflator pump and a can of slime yeah. The other day I was cruzin pawn shops found a clean little used Dewalt 20v 1/2" impact driver. Got it for $80 set of sockets and I'll be good to go. Allways something..mb
Common. Especially on a KIA. I was as shocked to see that as anyone. At least they have a spot to put one after you buy it!
Posted By: JPro Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Tried to help somebody change a tire a few years ago on their new Mitsubishi. The lug wrench was maybe 8" long. What a joke. Every vehicle needs a short piece of steel cheater pipe stashed somewhere, or a long breaker bar with the right size socket.
Originally Posted by JPro
Tried to help somebody change a tire a few years ago on their new Mitsubishi. The lug wrench was maybe 8" long. What a joke. Every vehicle needs a short piece of steel cheater pipe stashed somewhere, or a long breaker bar with the right size socket.
Just put your ass into it.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by JeffA

End of rant.

When the auto manufacturer is aware the tires will out last the expected life of the cars they sell.

Ouch!
Posted By: CCCC Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
A few solid bits of good info/advice on this tread, and a bunch of poorly informed snark.
Funny thing about the spare tire delete. They claim it saves on weight and thus fuel. Of course the average US driver weighs 320 pounds and his wife a paltry 280. I don't believe the 40 pound savings is netting much.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
My college age granddaughter told me she has changed a couple of tires for fellow students who did not know how, including one who was a football player.
Originally Posted by CCCC
A few solid bits of good info/advice on this tread, and a bunch of poorly informed snark.

OP didn't ask for info or advice. It was designed to get a bunch of people barking at clouds.
Posted By: deflave Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
If an individual needed a strong legal defense for the genocide of Methodists, I’d call Wabigoon to the stand and let him speak for 30 minutes.
2022 Subaru Forester comes with a spare and all the tools to install it... Also carry a plug kit and small air compressor. You never know...
No spare for the Tesla. Tesla counts on you to call Roadside Assistance on the Iphone, and wait for help.
My brother bought a spare, with jack and tire tool of of Amazon for $475.

No spare. But don't worry your Iphone will save you.
Posted By: BooBear Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
My 2023 Camry has a tire and jack
Posted By: 44mc Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
no spare on wife,s small jeep suv just a 12v pump and some flat fixer
Originally Posted by EdM

Neither my Lamborghini nor my motorcycle have spares.
Posted By: 7mm_Loco Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Likely some service Monkey tightened them to 300 ft pds with his air wrench...
If it doesn't have a spare tire don't buy the car. If you call AAA and you think they're going to come running to service you you're going to be disappointed.
Posted By: JPro Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Likely some service Monkey tightened them to 300 ft pds with his air wrench...

Likely right on that....
Posted By: Dutch Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by shrapnel
What about writing worthless comments?
Posted By: ConradCA Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
What do you do if you can’t repair the tire?
I'm waiting on the correct wheel size.
As in waiting for someone to tell you what it is?
None of your offspring can read the sidewall of a tire???

Tell them to snap a pic and send it to your phone.
Posted By: hookeye Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22

LOL I can barely read the damn sidewall, bifocals and bending over, crap lighting, crud on tire.
Isn't that info on the sticker on door ?

Heaven forbid one just go to the web and type in car by year and model, trim level and get the factory wheel size.

Theres usually some basement dweller or Brit (both?) that will geek out over the factory spec and tell you your wheelbearings or suspension will fall apart if you change anything. Those type are all over the import forums.
Posted By: TRnCO Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
wife's '17 Ford Mustang came with no spare. ..
Posted By: auk1124 Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by Stammster
Originally Posted by EdM

Neither my Lamborghini nor my motorcycle have spares.

My 77 Cordoba had a spare in the trunk, but the damn trunk deck completely rusted out on me, and the spare went whizzing down Interstate 75 into oncoming traffic at about 80 miles an hour.

Pretty sure it took out an RV from Michigan. I saw a great big fireball in the rear view mirror. Oh well.🤷‍♂️
Most can't change one anyway
So, what's AAA going to do out on the road with no spare?
So, what's AAA going to do out on the road with no spare?

Laugh at you for knowing you had no spare and still hitting the road unprepared?
Posted By: Redneck Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
For many years, when I would get a new car or truck, the first thing I did was to get home and practice changing a tire; making sure all the necessary stuff was with it to do the job..

Now that I'm closer to 'ancient', AND the spare tire for my truck is a helluva lot closer to 100#+, I keep a 3/4" impact driver in the stowage along with the proper sized socket. Truck comes with a hydraulic jack so that's one item I don't have to add. eek

End of rant.

did she have a 12v air compressor
Posted By: WTF Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Dont worry about it. It will get stolen before there's a flat.
Kias and Hyundais are the most stolen. Too easy to break into and start.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by WTF
Dont worry about it. It will get stolen before there's a flat.
Kias and Hyundais are the most stolen. Too easy to break into and start.

That's not entirely true or false. They are not the most stolen, but could be the easiest.

Someone's got to be hard up to steal one of those.
Working on a rig, on the side of the road:

A few years ago, in a heavy snow storm, I84 exit into Ontario Or. A truck w/ trailer and pup pulled to the side on the cloverleaf exit ramp to place chains.

Driver was on his knees working under the truck when another like rig from the same company came up the ramp.

The second truck ran over the first driver's ankles and feet with several axles. The driver of the second truck never even knew he had hit his coworker. The cops chased him down on the far side of town.

It has been a few years, but I think the first driver lost both feet.

There might be a reason professionals are paid to sit and wait for service vehicles.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

A few years ago, in a heavy snow storm, I84 exit into Ontario Or. A truck w/ trailer and pup pulled to the side on the cloverleaf exit ramp to place chains.

Driver was on his knees working under the truck when another like rig from the same company came up the ramp.

The second truck ran over the first driver's ankles and feet with several axles. The driver of the second truck never even knew he had hit his coworker. The cops chased him down on the far side of town.

There might be a reason professionals are paid to sit and wait for service vehicles.

So they should wait and have someone put their chains on now too?

Maybe have someone pump fuel, bring back full service at filling stations.
These posts are all playing in to sympathize with the OP and his dumbfukk family’s poor decisions

Don’t even carry a spare…it’s too dangerous to rescue yourself on 20ft of emergency lane plus gravel shoulder

He should have found a safer place to install chains. NEVER work on a car with your legs sticking out on an interstate exit ramp. Something bad could happen.
Posted By: badger Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/29/22
Wife's 2018 BMW 540i, no spare, runflats. Just put on a set of Michelins, about $1300.00 for the set, and that was a good price. 19" runflats ain't cheap.

But, I can't remember the last time I had to change a tire on the road. Been lucky I guess, I've always checked my vehicles visually before driving, and the late cars will let you know if a tire is low on start-up.
Originally Posted by deflave
If an individual needed a strong legal defense for the genocide of Methodists, I’d call Wabigoon to the stand and let him speak for 30 minutes.
Holy schit!!!

LMFAO!!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Arrrrrrgh...
Originally Posted by hookeye

LOL I can barely read the damn sidewall, bifocals and bending over, crap lighting, crud on tire.
Isn't that info on the sticker on door ?

Heaven forbid one just go to the web and type in car by year and model, trim level and get the factory wheel size.

Theres usually some basement dweller or Brit (both?) that will geek out over the factory spec and tell you your wheelbearings or suspension will fall apart if you change anything. Those type are all over the import forums.
Psssst...

They put them sticker thingamabobs inside the drivers door frame...

Except kia,s.....

🥴🥴🥴🤣🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🤣🥴🥴🥴

I'm gonna go watch modern marvels.
Show is about flat tires!!!

argh?
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

He should have found a safer place to install chains. NEVER work on a car with your legs sticking out on an interstate exit ramp. Something bad could happen.

Absolurely! I think he spun out on the uphill exit ramp.

Of course, the intelligent thing to do would have been pull into the rest stop he passed a 1/2 mile earlier to put chains on.

After dealing with many, many truck drivers over the last twenty years. I would not expect a lot of them to take the intelligent action.

There a lot of bright, professiona

l drivers on the road. There are also o lot of idiots.

Corporations have to regulate for the lowest common denominator.
Dammit, all this talk of flats.

I walked out of work last night to the right rear rim of the Accord on the pavement. I have owned the car about a year and a half. The donut had air then, it does not now.

A coworker gave me and the tire a ride 1/2 mile to the Schwabbs and they fixed the flat. Bad valve stem.

Second tire I have changed in about thirty years.

I put one of those 12 V air pumps in the g daughters car. I need to get one for mine and for Momma's.

Of course Mama ain't gonna need to change no flat. She has a cell phone to call me, or a son, or two SILs who would each be eager to assist.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/30/22
I got a call that two college boys on the way to software engineer intern summer job have a flat tire and do not know how to change the tire.

While I was changing the tire, I told them a lie.

I said that the miniature spare tire was "the tire of shame" and no girl would have sex with them.

The two boys were virgins and worried all day.
Posted By: Redneck Re: New cars, no spare tires. - 12/30/22

Well, DUH!

Absolurely! I think he spun out on the uphill exit ramp.

Of course, the intelligent thing to do would have been pull into the rest stop he passed a 1/2 mile earlier to put chains on.

After dealing with many, many truck drivers over the last twenty years. I would not expect a lot of them to take the intelligent action.

There a lot of bright, professiona

l drivers on the road. There are also o lot of idiots.

Corporations have to regulate for the lowest common denominator.

I drove over the road for 8 years. Yes, some of the CDL boys are real dumb asses.
© 24hourcampfire