Home
Posted By: Tansun GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Turned it on today and just before the show started, this came across the screen.

The following show has out dated cultural views, viewer discretion is advised

Really, GUNSMOKE has out dated cultural views? That explains a lot about what’s wrong with modern society.
Posted By: Partsman Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I don’t believe we get that message up here, but will have to watch closer.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by Tansun
Turned it on today and just before the show started, this came across the screen.

Really, GUNSMOKE has out dated cultural views? That explains a lot about what’s wrong with modern society.

wink laugh

L.W.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Don’t see it here.
Posted By: WTF Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I watch it most days and nothing of the sort has come across my screen. Nor with any of the other old shows I watch.
You must live in some sort of woke neighborhood.
Posted By: dpd Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by WTF
I watch it most days and nothing of the sort has come across my screen. Nor with any of the other old shows I watch.
You must live in some sort of woke neighborhood.

Same here. I watch it almost every day and haven't seen anything like that.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Political correctness.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Yeah, you can't shoot outlaws anymore. Or Indians.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22

Yeah, like the idea there are boys and girls, and that these are immutable concepts, and girls and boys marry each other, and have different roles in life, and behave differently, and have different personalities, and that guns serve a valuable role in a free nation, and on and on. All dangerous concepts.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Never had an issue with Indians. Heck, one of my hotties in days gone by was a nifty squaw. Cute as a button, horny as a toad.

Outlaws? Mebbe YOU can't shoot 'em, but I sure as hell can and will if they get in my face....or on my place. Perhaps the twisted puppies in cyber space don't like it, so fuggem all.

Sammy Small
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Ruth the Mule was often a John Mule.

DUH!!!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I want to introduce these hos to someone I respect.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]

Hos, meet Mr. Rittenhouse

[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]
Posted By: SargeMO Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
The plots were TV Western predictable, but the casting and character acting were superb.
Posted By: slumlord Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Somebody get lynched or somethin in that episode?
Posted By: EdM Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I got that message watching All In The Family over summer.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by slumlord
Seemed like every third episode of The Virginian was based on that theme, i.e., someone standing trial for a murder they didn't commit.
Posted By: slumlord Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
LOL

I watched a Gunsmoke one where two guys cut this ole boy’s neck from ear to ear
Holy fugkkk 😱

It seemed so real.

in black and white on the 13” philco ext to the waffle iron
Posted By: fishingnut71 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I watch alot of gunsmoke and have seen that disclaimer many times.
Posted By: 673 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
I never see any fugging homo's on gunsmoke.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

wink laugh

L.W.

Thanks for some great episodes LW !

It’s a shame there aren’t any or very few writers left like you.
Posted By: Osky Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
The writing was sharp and the actors actually knew how to act a part.

Osky
Posted By: Whelenman Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by 673
I never see any fugging homo's on gunsmoke.

CHESTER !!!!!!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Chester had girlfriends in a number of episodes. He was not gay.
Posted By: nimblehunter Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Guess that explains the "boner down the pant leg" limp then.
Festus....what in the tarnation hell is dis gay thang yous fellers is all talkin bout, never herd nor seen no such thang.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by slumlord
Seemed like every third episode of The Virginian was based on that theme, i.e., someone standing trial for a murder they didn't commit.

... and we never heard 'ah dindu nuffin' from any of them.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22

Those girl’s identified as guys !!
And Doc always picking his nose, wiping the food off his mouth, and pulling chit out of his ears.
Every time I see them drinking beer (all the time) I gotta go grab a beer, I wonder why?
Posted By: atvalaska Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/29/22
Insp network?...I've never seen it ... I'd do some digging and see who's behind it!
INSP, both the early 1/2 hour and full hour episodes. The later episodes seem to rehash older story lines.
Posted By: rainshot Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
You don’t have to worry about anyone being misgendered. Decent acting and not any gore. What’s not to like?
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
I often wondered how many holes

And how much lead

Was in the long branch after it was all done.
Posted By: Old_Tucson Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Read somewhere that somebody wrote a thesis about Gunsmoke and in the 20 some years the show was on that Dillon killed over 600 people. Don't know if it's true or not.

George
Posted By: WTF Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
Read somewhere that somebody wrote a thesis about Gunsmoke and in the 20 some years the show was on that Dillon killed over 600 people. Don't know if it's true or not.

George

That's probably more than Lucas McCain shot.
Posted By: misfire270 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Iwatch it every night on insp. Channel, real men taking care of bad guys.i see nothing wrong with it whatsoever
Posted By: MPat70 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Not enough groids, lgbtq wacko's and mixed race marriages!

Plus every once in awhile it will show some bandit smacking around on a woman so that pisses off the femininists.
Posted By: scottf270 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Also check out Grit channel and Me TV.
Posted By: gunzo Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Schit, boomers get criticized for watching GS. WTF ever.

The more I watch it the more I think that how problems were handled then is a big answer to effed up things going on today.
Posted By: shootem Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Dodge City. Where the women are women, the men are men, and the sheep are nervous when the cattle drives hit town. Love the show. Watched it as a kid with parents but there’s a whole lot I didn’t catch back then; like Kitty’s girls having their own “room upstairs”. And if there’s any question about the extent of Matt & Kitty’s relationship look up “A Quiet Day in Dodge City”. hint

There was no grey area when it came to crime. With Matt it was one of the other; right or wrong. If there were bad guys…..shootem.
Posted By: Winchester21 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson

George

If the A Team could shoot they would have killed thousands.
Gunsmoke was a fantastic show.
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
My favorite show of all time! The whole family watches it. My UNC Chapel Hill daughter laughs that almost none of her classmates have ever heard of it. She watches it with us most evenings when she is home.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
I watch Gunsmoke on INSP through Directv and have not seen any warnings.

A couple of days ago John Wayne spoke before the show, telling us he thought Jim Arness would become a big star. It was season one, show one. I guess after over 600 episodes the Duke was right.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Thanks, Chlinstructor. As a retired screenwriter, all the Gunsmoke writers I knew except one (and myself) have all gone to the "Happy Writers' Room" in the Far Beyond. smile Sometimes I'm surprised -- but thankful -- I'm still on this side of dirt. wink Hollywood has changed radically since I was writing scripts.

Happy New Year.

L.W.
Posted By: MartinStrummer Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22

Deputy US Marshall Festus Hagen to US Marshall Dillon, "Matthew, it can be did!"
Posted By: atvalaska Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Thanks, Chlinstructor. As a retired screenwriter, all the Gunsmoke writers I knew except one (and myself) have all gone to the "Happy Writers' Room" in the Far Beyond. smile Sometimes I'm surprised -- but thankful -- I'm still on this side of dirt. wink Hollywood has changed radically since I was writing scripts.

Happy New Year.

L.W.
Well break out the ones you broke let me know I'll watch them all grade them for you there's some freaking bad shooting in them there's some bad guys there's some good girls there's some bad issues going on which ones did you write do you know or you're part of a team kind of like the Dick Van Dyke Show
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Well break out the ones you broke let me know I'll watch them all grade them for you there's some freaking bad shooting in them there's some bad guys there's some good girls there's some bad issues going on which ones did you write do you know or you're part of a team kind of like the Dick Van Dyke Show

ATVALASKA, there were no staff writers on Gunsmoke, or the other dramatic shows at that time. Gunsmoke was cancelled after the 1975 season. It ran for 20 years. All shows were written by free lance writers. Only the comedy shows had staff writers. I addressed this subject in another thread. Here it is.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7898443/re-yellowstone-1883#Post17898443

As for "bad shooting," it was all make believe. After all, most actors, directors, and writers knew very little about firearms, ammunition, or how to handle them. There were some efforts at "authenticity" in the use of firearms, but there were many things more important in filming than constantly trying to correct incorrect firearms use by actors.

When John Mantley took over Gunsmoke as Executive Producer, he had the following "letter" put into every script, FIRST PAGE , for actors and directors to read. It follows.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sometimes an actor or director would take up the offer, other times they just ignored it.

That's Hollywood. wink

L.W.
Posted By: hanco Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
That’s interesting, thanks for posting that
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
It is one thing I have always noted when watching "Westerns." Of course, I am perfectly aware that by necessity all shots fired are blanks with little or no recoil, so I simply ignore it.

One other thing was that emptying and reloading a firearm was seldom if ever shown. A few times, and actor would be seen to reload, but not often.

The thing that REALLY bugged me was seeing all of them riding across country with flat saddle bags, only to later see them encamped with coffee pots, plates, food, silverware, and occasionally even kettles and iron support rods over the fire.
Posted By: Morewood Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Gut shot in Dodge City? Gotta climb the rickety stairs to see the Doc.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Originally Posted by Morewood
Gut shot in Dodge City? Gotta climb the rickety stairs to see the Doc.
I noticed that over Christmas weekend we're watching that's a hell of a flight of stairs with a bullet in your happy ass or broke leg a hand laugh out loud
I do find myself with that handy DirecTV feature where you can get into the Cat cast of characters and see who that little hottie was ....... oh my
Posted By: JamesJr Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
Actors back then had talent
Posted By: JamesJr Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/30/22
And so did Miss Kitty
Posted By: navlav8r Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Gotta get that bullet out. If I don’t get it out real soon he doesn’t stand a chance
Posted By: gunzo Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Posted By: Oakster Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Originally Posted by EdM
I got that message watching All In The Family over summer.

Funny! I watched Gunsmoke today and Carroll O'Connor was the guest star on the show
Posted By: hanco Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Good looking young man

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Barney_Fife Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Well I never
Posted By: WTF Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Yep, and you never will Chester
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: GUNSMOKE tv show - 12/31/22
Hollywood today couldn’t come up with a show that is 1/2 the quality of Gunsmoke, to save their lives.
© 24hourcampfire