Home
Already this winter......

one feeder & 80# gone already

With 30" of snow plus on the ground & pouring snow again now

Last year Ace offered 2 fur 1 sales

Two 20# bags for $10 and change...not this year....thx brandon

Best I found was walmark a 40# bag for $25 shipped...which is close to last year's Ace

Anyone else feeding the birds ?

[Linked Image from i5.walmartimages.com]
Black oil sunflower & suit.

I give the turkeys cracked corn. I have a peanut feeder also.
Shoot cat squirrels off the feeder several times a week and sometimes several times a day. Little bastards can dig the feeders out quick. Have a dog proof coon trap at the base of the tree for the night raiders. We see tons of cardinals, sparrows, titmouse, yellow finches and woodpeckers. The crows come in and clean up the ground spillage.
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Black oil sunflower & suit.

I give the turkeys cracked corn. I have a peanut feeder also.

we have a limited number of wild turkeys here....
We feed them. We have three feeders and two suet feeders. Also a heated birdbath.
They be livin' in the lap of luxury.
Sure do. I buy mine at Tractor Supply during their black Friday sales. Bought 160 lbs---4 bags of 40 lb. The birds are going thru it pretty quick this winter.
Would love to feed the birds, but the spilled seed also brings in mice.
Originally Posted by Cecil56

Mi Mi takes care of the mice

what's left over the Owls get......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
House Finches ,Gold Finches,Chickadees,all kinds of wood peckers and Sapsuckers plus 15 Turkeys.
Yes I have probably 100 cardinals that come to my place in the winter. I give my chickens scratch feed so I just throw out some for the Cardinals & they tear it up!
I keep the feeder filled all winter so Ma has some entertainment while in the kitchen as she is injured again and can't get outside . It is getting a bit pricey! (taking care of Ma and feeding birds)
Grain hay is a bird feeder right now.

50-60 pheasants

40-50 turkeys

couple eagles eating dead deer

And the Chewy box shows up at least once a week at the farm with actual bird seed that my mom ordered.
My wife does.
Santa gave me a bird feeder this Christmas. It took a few days for the birds to find it, but we're seeing a little more activity as time goes on.
5 feeders and go through a 40# sack of black oil sunflower seeds every 10-11 days but it’s worth it to watch all of the different species of birds hitting the feeders.
Hundreds of geese on the field by the river where the cows are fed.

Turkeys by the raceways gleaning spilled feed (they like that 48/16 bass feed!). Too many starlings and magpies, too.

I keep forgetting to get some bird seed for the Huns and quail around the house, and I better get with it or there’ll be none left.
Sparrows to other birds runs about 10,000 to 1.
We feed wild birds all year long. We ordinarily always fed black oil sunflower seed exclusively but since the price of it has gone from $17 to $25 for a 40 lb bag we've been mixing it 1 to 1 with mixed seed at $13 for a 40lb bag as pictured in photo in OP. Also feed suet, whole peanuts in shell, thistle seed, ear corn, woodpecker seed blocks and crunchy peanut butter. Except for the peanut butter we buy all our wild bird feed at a Rural King farm supply store.
Deer corn, hen scratch, and black oil sun flower seed... Wife loves her birds🤗
I can only feed in the winter, otherwise the coon and bears drive me nuts. I have only been feeding just before dark for the flying squirrels. The birds clean up the rest at first light. If I fill the feeders the gray squirrels and deer will stay there until they are empty. I have several hundred apple trees planted for the "critters" and some varieties hold apples all winter. I have had 16 grouse at one time in the apples this winter..............and then the turkeys found the trees. They are relatively new here, in the last 10 years or so. They eat all the apples and bust the tress all to HE(%. The 22 mag that sits by the door isn't just for show.
I put up a new feeder and can’t get one fuggin bird in.
Originally Posted by Toddly
I put up a new feeder and can’t get one fuggin bird in.

Add feed. smile
I have 2 feeders out. Feed Black oil sunflower seeds. Have mostly Cardinals. Saw Carolina Wrens and a woodpecker on it today. See Chickadees and Titmice often too.
The wife throws out some chicken scratch every morning in 2 places on the place.

They seem to like it birds of all kinds show up and most times it is all gone by the next morning she feeds.
My cardinals want nothing to do with the feeders, preferring to scavenge from the ground.
Cardinals were a favorite pet bird, until they outlawed it.
Seed prices have gone nuts. Walmart has 40lb of sunflower seeds for $30 and that's $10 cheaper than anyplace else I've found. Last spring they were $20.
We haven't had much snow this winter and there aren't that many birds. 95% of them are sparrows, juncos, and house finches. There's a covey of a dozen quail that makes the rounds of the neighborhood. They should come back through in a week or so.
Cracked corn is cheap.
Feeders front and back. Chickadees, juncos, goldfinches, nuthatches, doves, cardinals, bluejays, downy, hairy, and red bellied woodpeckers, titmice, chipping sparrows, white crowned sparrows, english sparrows, house finches, redbreasted grosbeaks, redwing blackbirds, starlings, cowbirds, fox squirrels, red squirrels, turkeys occasionally, and every so often a hungry coopers hawk. Orioles, wrens and hummingbirds in the summer.

Probably 200 lbs since the beginning of November. Songbird mix, black oil seed, niger, shelled peanuts, seed logs, and suet cakes. Grape jelly for the orioles and sugar solution for the hummers.

Red squirrels get live trapped and dropped off on the other side of the Shiawassee River. Cowbirds discouraged.....

Birds have been a great distraction from the pandemic
Yes, cracked corn is cheaper than most feed, suit low cost also.

I don’t consider myself an expert, but I can identify most common birds. Years ago I would consult the bird book if I saw a new type.

When out deer hunting my good luck signal is when I hear a nuthatch. I must of had good luck years ago. Now when I hear the tweet of a nuthatch, I get ready for the 8 pointer to amble by.
I buy a 20 lb. bag of bird seed about every other week.

Sprinkle it under my Dogwood tree.

Mtn. Quail, Doves, and lots of song birds.

I put out feed every morning. It's just about time for me to go feed them now.

Virgil B.
I just got back in from refilling the sewit feeders. My late wife got me interested in bird watching.

Jim
Last night's storm dropped another 4-5" of snow

Probably close to 36" on the ground now

Looks like another 40# bag being ordered...Walmart is $35 order & free shipping
I've been feeding the little buggers right along. We have a healthy population of eurasian doves and sparrows with just enough pheasants and cardinals to make it interesting. The rabbits and deer come every night and clean up as well. Tough winter, I don't mind helping them out some.
Originally Posted by Cecil56
Yep, plus red squirrels. Fugging red squirrels.
Yes I feed them and now one of my daughters feeds them too, after I gave her a feeder mounted on a pole. Also gave her a bluebird house and put it up. Within a week she had a bluebird living in it. Cool birds.
Ya seed went from 17 to 30 bucks here for sunflowers. Try to limit what the varmints get. Put up the blocker cone thing on the poles and that snap together duct work to keep the raccoons from climbing the poles. Had one smart squirrel that kept getting up there. Finally watched him jump from a nearby table over the shield and onto the pole. Moved the table back 6 inches a day for a couple of days. Good times.
IF I were to put one up/out either the bears would destroy it or the deer would be underneath it.
Either way puts me in a lawbreaking situation should I repair/refill.
I just use cheap scratch from the Bi-Mart in the big town, thanks to LGB it's up around $16 per 50/lb now. And I put out a cup of peanuts in the shell for the jays. I skip feeding on Thurs and Sunday. Birds gotta remember to forage................or at least fly 1/4 mile to the neighbors place

NO feed overnight. I just bring a small bucket out every morning, scatter it on the ground, right on top of the snow and on the rail fence too. they usually clean it up every night. Keeps the deer from getting it.
Pennington's wild Bird feed, COOP 5 grain scratch, Coop 3 grain scratch sweetened with a little added black oil sunflower seeds.

I used to spend less to feed me that this runs each month.
It is interesting to watch the interactions.

Contrary to common lore, doves are not birds of peace, many are fighters in the public feeding area (ground under the feeder).

Heck have even had a couple of nimble hawks swoop through and grab someone to eat.
Cracked corn is bird cocaine. Use it in moderation, and be prepared to be amazed.
I put some out first time this fall, looks like the mixture TikkaNut uses. They seem to like it, I added some parmesan cheese the other day, it started a bird war. Two male cardinals taking on all commers, when they've beat them all back then they fight. Banging up against the window, I thought it was someone knocking on the door a couple of times.
They're fighting it out right now, sound like a tiny terradakto I think the cardinals might be from Wisconsin.
Was $17 a 50lb bag mixed birdseed at menards.
ACE had bird seed on sale all the way from October through December. If it wasn’t their 20 lb bags it was the 40 lb bags, $9 and $18. I stocked up on them then bought Rural Kings Songbird blend to mix in. I’ve already used half of it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Had 2 Tufted Titmice at my black oil sunflower feeder today. First I've seen, and fun to watch pecking seeds between their feet.
Watching the birds go crazy over peanut pieces, this is way more serious than cracked corn. Peanuts chips are the real thing, who knew.
I have not fed anything except stale cereal that gets pitched out

And we have birds galore.

Just today, I had cardinals, doves, blue jays, rufous sided tohee, blue birds, crows and always have chickadees and wrens, oh and robins too

They gang bang our dog and catfood so really they are getting ‘fed’
I’ll tell you this right now: Brown Thrashers can tear up a suet block.
I get the generic stuff a Tractor Supply. The little bastards go thru it like s hit thru a goose.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/value-mix-wild-bird-food-35-lb?cm_vc=-10005
Had to go to intermittent feedings to keep the damn turkeys from tearing the place up. It started out as five toms about seven years ago. Now we’re up to an even dozen and they tear my finch feeders down and they dig up the flower bed so badly that they push the posts that I have the big feeders on, over. The feed then pours out. Our patio is reddish stained concrete with inset dark bricks. It heats up in the winter and melts the snow. Turkeys camp out it for warmth and crap all over. Always gotta’ be something…
© 24hourcampfire