Home
For those of you who have had to get a knee replaced, how has the surgery and re-hab affected your hunting? Can you still go and do pretty much how you did before?

Thanks, RS
Everything except kneel down.
I have just a bit of loss so far has lifting the leg up and over things.
My brother had both knees replaced. He still pheasant hunts, a lot.
I had TKR and I am up and at 'em. I took out the Beagle today for a 4 mile hike up and down the mountains.
These replacements are amazing. My partner had a double hip replacement more than 25 years ago. He's 77 and will outrun most guys 10 years younger in the hills. He was having some hip pain this fall. The joints are 25 years old and past their due date.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
These replacements are amazing. My partner had a double hip replacement more than 25 years ago. He's 77 and will outrun most guys 10 years younger in the hills. He was having some hip pain this fall. The joints are 25 years old and past their due date.

Had hip replaced in 2005. Going on a 20 years. Still good.
Shoulder replaced in '19. It's going great.

Dr. who replaced my hip used an implant designed by a Dr McBride.
In 2015, he told me he sees a patient every year that had her hip replaced by Dr. McBride in 1958! 😳
Maybe he got a cheap implant. 🤷‍♂️
Could be a number of things besides the implant.
Complete replacement ,had 3 ortho’s tell they’ve never seen one as bad as mine. I’m doing everything I did before actually a bit more.
I had full replacements on both knees when I was 48 years old. I had to give up coon hunting with hounds. But I still hunt deer,turkey, pheasants and fish as much as I can. Don't half ass the physical therapy and you will come out ahead.
Assuming you have a good surgeon, a good post-op outcome, and do all the PT, you should expect to be better than before the surgery. I can actually do more, because I don’t hurt.

You will still lack full strength even after PT is over, so you need to regain that and fitness.
My knees were pretty much shot when I had them replaced in 2017. Before having them replaced, I was limited to how much walking I could do or face swelling and pain for a few days following. I couldn’t hardly sleep without knee pain. After replacement I went at the rehab like I was on a mission. Exercising and working on range of motion. Now, I can do things that I couldn’t do before. Up and down hills. Walk as much as I want. No problem. Getting my knees replaced was the best medical thing I ever did. The only things I can’t do are run, and kneel down. I gladly trade those 2 for strong , painless legs.

Ron
Had both of mine replaced in 2009. Retread on the left in 2020. Not so much the knees limiting me. Pretty much my heart issues. Now I want to ride as close to my blinds as possible. Truck or ATV. Even needing the retread didn't slow me down much hunting.
Before you go all-in on replacement surgery, take a look at platelet-rich plasma injections. Some guys avoid surgery altogether with one or two injections into the space between the arthritic condyles.

https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/platelet-rich-plasma-knee#overview
If you are post 60, rebuilding muscles is a lot harder than middle age .Some of them never come back.Keep that in mind when PT seems to be not working.
As mentioned, the key to complete recovery and range of motion is to work hard the first 2-3 wks. of therapy. The pain then is worth the outcome later. And my pain wasn’t too bad.
It’s over for you. PM the list of guns you’ll be selling. 😂

Obviously I’m kidding. I haven’t had knee surgery….in fact those are the only 2 joints that don’t hurt. 😀. Like others have said if you have a good surgeon and you’re a good and compliant patient that follows through with PT you will be back at it again and you’ll be able to do everything you want to do! 👍🏼

Best of luck with your surgeries.
Both of mine have been replaced. Only problem I have is walking downhill. I have to sidestep. Knees don't like walking straight downhill. I can walk as far as I used to.

I don't seem to have the sense of balance, either. Don't really know if that's a result of the knees, or being 65 y/o. Either way, I don't do treestands any more.
I have less pain but less movement. Kneeling hurts but i still do it some. I have put off having the second one done because the 1st one hasn't been a home run
Originally Posted by dale06
My brother had both knees replaced. He still pheasant hunts, a lot.

My wife is getting both knees done. Won't slow me down a bit.
Car crash sent my femur through my right knee. Had a TKR done 16 months after the crash. Due to the damage from the accident every ligament in my knee had been destroyed. Which left me with only 90% of flexibility. 14 days after the TKR I killed a long beard, 4 months after I was in Idaho chasing Sept bulls. Have not slowed down one bit. Just have to do things a little different now.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I have less pain but less movement. Kneeling hurts but i still do it some. I have put off having the second one done because the 1st one hasn't been a home run
I can reco my surgeon in Anchorage. He did both my knees and wife’s shoulder.

Great outcomes X3. Our PT has great things to say as well, based on several of his patients.
My brother had knee replacement surgery done in vack to back years, about 3 years ago. At that time he was in mid to late 60s. Didn't slow him down. Still dragging deer out by himself.
I had my right knee replaced 18 months ago. Left knee hurt a lot before the surgery, it does not hurt now.
My fake knee is 90% of my original "youth" knee. I guess my old bone on bone knee was 30% of my "youth" knee. Kneeling feels goofy, and muscles get a bit stiff when I walk a lot.
I walk a few miles every day, because my lab demands it. Most days we walk on trails in the mountains. With my old knee that was crazy painful, now no pain. I tripped and fell a lot with my old knee in the woods, now I don't fall.
Took a good year to heal up. First few months were depressing, but it worked out. I was 110% on PT.
I’ll had my right knee replaced just over three weeks ago. Wrapped up my pt last week since I reached my range of motion goals and strength goals set by the therapist. Of all my ortho surgeries the pt has been the toughest but fastest progression. I plan on finishing deer season by mid Feb.
Pretty much what Terryk said.I had the left done and while it was healing my right started hurting concerned me thought it was going to have be replaced but it stopped hurting.If you plan on hunting and enjoying it next fall I’d get it done soon.
Injured my right knee badly in ‘21. Developed a popliteal cyst (the knees answer to injury — producing a lot of synovial fluid which accumulates and walls off behind the knee and often down into the calf. Have had it drained three times. Have had three steroid injections and a PRP injection (plasma-rich protein from your own drawn blood) into the knee joint — good but only temporary relief each time. TKA time.

Am now scheduled for it in less than two weeks. Having given anesthesia for many of these, I am not looking forward to the procedure. Knowledge is not always comforting. Don’t mean to frighten you RS — you don’t want to wait too long either. The older you get, the harder is recovery from the whole process.

Question: the guys who’ve had it done, hit the rehab hard, and still cannot kneel, I wonder why. I presume flexion for the joint is hit hard by PT. I have a best friend who has had both knees replaced and who rehabbed so hard, PT told him to slow down, says the same thing.
Depends on how old you are and what condition you are in. Attitude and goals go a long way in your recovery. I did my PT at home between sessions, i picked up the devices that the PT were using and did my own sessions at home.

Range of motion is what your physical therapy is looking for 120 degrees. I was at 135 degrees my 3rd week of PT. When you hit 120 degrees your PT is over as the insurance quits paying at that point. Paying for sessions is an option, i was quoted $400 a session.

So you will need to find another gym to work on range of motion on your own.

No running with a knee or hip replacement as that will reduce the life of the joint. Walking up and down grades is to be watch, using walking poles or sticks.

Hunting, is open using the above guide lines for the first year. Then i will be released.

Depending on your health, flying may be off the books as your doctor may be concerned about blood clots. I dr is for me however not for my wife. We are both in our mid 70”s and she is having a more difficult time with her (last week) second TKR.
Old football injuries and a car wreck.
I don't give two hoots in hell just how good the implant is, it ain't what God gave you and it's just not gonna work the same.
What WILL happen, is it will be a tremendous improvement over "bone on bone"!

My biggest discovery after hip replacement was I could walk upright again! No more Hunchback of Notre Dame impersonations!
Actually, I could walk without pain.
Second, take your time, it ain't gonna work the same.
You're gonna hafta figure out what you can and can't do and what you're gonna hafta do to accomplish the same goals.
I can do anything now that I did before all my replacement surgeries!
It just takes a pry bar, a come-a-long, an ATV and a little more time! LOL! (don't forget the Aleve! 😉)

....and last but not least!

DO NOT GIVE UP! Just keep on trucking!

After shoulder replacement, the therapist told me that one of my muscles was drawn up and he was going to do a deep tissue massage to try and loosen it up!
The first time he jabbed his thumb into that muscle, I let him know it was a good thing his Mama loved him 'cause I was fixin' to hurt him....BAD!
When he finally let me up off the table, the muscle felt MUCH better!

DO THE PT!
It's a must!

All you guys having surgery! Good luck!
For those having balance issues you need to find a Physical therapist with specialized training in treating balance/equilibirum issues. I did 8 weeks of therapy with my regular PT, results were marginal. I've been working with a PT now who has specialized training and 25 yrs. of experience. After 6 weeks my balance is significantly improved, not quite back to base line yet but making progress.
Originally Posted by RipSnort
For those of you who have had to get a knee replaced, how has the surgery and re-hab affected your hunting? Can you still go and do pretty much how you did before?

Thanks, RS

Your replaced knee will not be like the one of your youth. Neither is the one you have now. If you need a replacement, your existing knee is already limiting you. You’ll be better after replacement than you are now. Yes, you’ll have limitations. You already do. Deal with it as best you can..

Oh yea, those folks advising you to do all the therapy? They’re right. Commit to full compliance with the PT or don’t have it done.
Working on it now. Had right knee replaced about 12 days ago. I thought I was tough not using walker after couple days , But pain ( low grade ) hurt,

started using walker again and it helps.

Plowed snow a couple times on 4 wheeler. Went OPK , little hard getting leg over seat.

Shouda done it years and years ago....I'm not 70 anymore.
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Before you go all-in on replacement surgery, take a look at platelet-rich plasma injections. Some guys avoid surgery altogether with one or two injections into the space between the arthritic condyles.
https://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/platelet-rich-plasma-knee#overview
Not true based on my sample size of three.

All three tried PRP for their knees. All three had TKA done within 6 or so months.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Everything except kneel down.

Same here. I had bilateral knee replacement in 2018. I can walk and climb ladder stands and hills much better than before the surgery.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Not true based on my sample size of three.

All three tried PRP for their knees. All three had TKA done within 6 or so months.

It has worked really well for me. Virtually pain-free one year out. YMMV.

https://www.forbes.com/health/healthy-aging/platelet-rich-plasma/

https://www.caringmedical.com/prolotherapy-news/platelet-rich-plasma-knee-osteoarthritis/
I've been in way more orthopedic facilities than I care to mention.
TKR seems to be the longest and most painful recovery of all the other joints......but the most common joint replacement performed.

My buddy had knee replacement the same day I had hip replacement. Six weeks later, I kept a cane in my truck for emergencies. Alex was still on crutches!
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
TKR seems to be the longest and most painful recovery of all the other joints......but the most common joint replacement performed.

My buddy had knee replacement the same day I had hip replacement. Six weeks later, I kept a cane in my truck for emergencies. Alex was still on crutches!
Crutches @ 6 wks? That ain’t right. I walked unaided way before that and was driving a stick by 6 wks.
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

I had both of mine done Summer of 2017, 3 months apart. I was on a walker for 8 days, a cane for a week, then nothing after that. Walked as much as I could as often as I could, and iced down numerous times per day. Knees are toughest, no doubt.
I have had both knees replaced in last 5 years. I am 74 now and my knees are great. No pain and can walk and hunt anyplace I want too. Start exercising 6 weeks before surgery and do your physical therapy after surgery. I only used a walker day of surgery. walking and exercising at home everyday plus physical therapy 3 times a week. Also a lot of ice. I was driving in seven days. Just do what the doctor tells you to do
I had both knees replaced in 2015 and they are still working good. No problem hunting, but planting my garden on my knees without a pad of some sort is kind of hard. Fell and broke a hip in 2021 and had it replaced---it is no problem at all. But I have to be damn careful with my balance. I am not blaming my knees or hip, but I think my age might have something to do with it! I will be 77 in a week or so.

I agree that regular exercise works wonders between hunting seasons.
Much like the rest - the surgery was actually the easiest part of the whole ordeal.

I'm 10 weeks out now and have been off PT for several weeks now.
I got to 129 degrees angle on the knee and both the PT and my doctor said "don't do that". The new knee is not made to flex as far a normal knee and you can cause yourself some problems... I have no knee pain now and can finally sleep like a normal person.

I have a gym membership and I go every other day to strength train.
I stretch and ice every day.
I walk every day and don't have any issues at all - well, except for this clicking I get from the new joint. PT and Doctor both said that it's very common. It doesn't hurt, I just notice it is all... I feel it for the first few minutes on a stationary bike and then it just fades away.

Physical Therapy! JUST DO IT!
If your not willing to aggressively hammer out the PT, every single day _ I wouldn't advise getting a TKR.
Partial vs full? My wife might be looking at a partial because of cartilage loss. I've heard that some doctors don't like partials because they usually end up doing a full within a few years. Any experience with that?
Anyone have the rooster comb injection?
After a hop and knee replacement I coninued hunting mule deer in the mountains. I was told not to backpack more than 50# though. So when I get my muley I will need to take multiple trips packing the meat out.

I know skiers with knee replacements that keep skiing after the replacement.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone have the rooster comb injection?

I get one every 6 months and have been doing it for 3 years. Several different names. Euflexxa, Mono Visc. Does not help twisting, but cuts the discomfort tremendously along with a good quality knee brace.

I use a cane to keep some of the weight off it, ride a stationary bicycle every day for 10 minutes, and a couple other leg exercises. If weather permits, I ride a mule on a 9 mile loop once a week. If not so good, only 4miles.

I guess they don't help some and my ortho doctor says a lot of that is because the doctor doesn't get the injection in the right spot.

Someone mentioned that the knee is the hardest joint replacement. It is the shoulder. Especially a reverse one. A lot more complex and you are in a tight sling for 6 weeks and 2 months of PT. I am still doing mine 4 years post.The knee is second withe hip being the easiest
All of your input is greatly appreciated. How about returning to serious weightlifting? Relatively heavy squats and dead lifts? What about plyometrics? Box jumps, etc.?

Many thanks, RS
Yeah. I think Alex was scared to trust the implant and he didn't select the best surgeon he could have.
RipSnort: I had total knee replacement done on my previously injured left knee and ALL the old pains and limitations are GONE!
Took some time (year and a half) to get full strength back but the knee replacement was well worth it.
I still have trouble "kneeling" but other than that "good to go"!
Good luck to you if YOU are considering this procedure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire