Home
Since this is a “semi anonymous forum” I was wondering how many folks actually leave a handgun or rifle in a vehicle?

I read and other places were some folks leave a handgun under the seat or a rifle Tucktaway or shotgun depending on the setting, but I just can’t seem to bring myself to do this. I’ve only had my truck broken into once, and they took off with a nice pair of sunglasses and a gene Ingram knife That I’m still pissed off about losing. Can’t imagine how it feel to lose a firearm that way.
Yes, some places have a no weapons sign. I put it out of sight and lock the cab.
No
Posted By: dale06 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Never.
I’ve had my truck broke into twice, in recent years.
Had there been guns in it, they’d be gone.
I don’t have stupid shît like NRA or 30 point Bone Kollecta’ michael waddell stickers plastered all over my back window

His and her Browning buck and doe on the side windows. With “Kyle and Steph”
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Yes, some places have a no weapons sign. I put it out of sight and lock the cab.
#Savage
Michael Waddell, is that SOB still alive?
But to answer

Yes, always a rifle or handgun somewhere in one of our hoopties
Posted By: Teal Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
I used to (like 20 years ago) have a Krieghoff sticker in the window. Thing is - it was just the K insignia. You had to know what it was to get it. BUT I don't generally leave guns in the truck unless going in a place where I can't carry.

That said - I also live in a small farm town. I've been here 8 years this April and never locked a door. Crime is about zero and what is here is about 100% drinking related.
Turkey Thugs sticker

6ft long MATHEWS SOLOCAM sticker
I keep a Taurus 357 in my truck
The truck is always locked even in my driveway, especially in my driveway
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Since this is a “semi anonymous forum” I was wondering how many folks actually leave a handgun or rifle in a vehicle?

I read and other places were some folks leave a handgun under the seat or a rifle Tucktaway or shotgun depending on the setting, but I just can’t seem to bring myself to do this. I’ve only had my truck broken into once, and they took off with a nice pair of sunglasses and a gene Ingram knife That I’m still pissed off about losing. Can’t imagine how it feel to lose a firearm that way.
little option at times. Of course usually if there is a gun in there, there is also a cur dog in the back seat.

What do you do? A handgun is only used to fight your way back to a long gun. Won't carry a long gun around on me, so the only option is have it in a vehicle.

Stolen is a chance for sure. Then again generally speaking we don't leave vehicles in areas prone to theft mostly. If we can avoid it.
Posted By: pullit Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
No gun stickers and very seldom leave one in the truck or car. I use to have to leave it in the car when I had to go into the office. Now I work from home and it is not an issue
Only if I have to go to a courthouse for some reason, I ignore all other signs.
99.9% of the time there is an AK or the 12 round Mossberg 930 within 20 feet of me... car, barn, garage, truck or Prius.

Slummy makes a point don't advertise especially if you live in a bigger city..
as far as the original question there's something never a vehicle I own along with tractors and heavy trucks.
but I'm not even near a big city. my biggest threat is is in the critter department.
and also when the neighbors you do have think you're a crazy sob and will shoot somebody just for looking at you wrong keeps a thievery down.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Never
Would be a fool not too.
Anyone remember the case Trump talked about? The one where Kate Steinle was killed by an illegal in San Francisco?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Kate_Steinle

The suspect was found not guilty.

The pistol was stolen from a locked car and and was the gun issued to a Department of Interior Bureau of Land Management Agent. He could not bring it into some building on San Francisco and thus locked it in the car from where it was stolen. Several days later it allegedly went off by itself when the illegal in possession of it (he said he found it under a park bench) was "twirling" the pistol on his index finger when if fell and went off several times, striking Kate Steinle at least once and thus killing her.

So the State of California passed a law the next year making it a misdemeanor (and firing offense for anyone in law enforcement) to having a gun stolen from them by leaving the gun in locked vehicle unless it was in a locked case secured to a part of the vehicle.
So now it is a crime to be a victim. But tell that to Kate Steinle's father.

So I would not leave a firearm in a vehicle.
Posted By: memtb Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Yep, a small back-up lives in the truck. Except when in use, the truck is always in a locked building!

As others have mentioned, if I must go into a “gun free zone” my carry gets hidden as well. If I lose the due to a theft…..it would be pretty devastating! memtb
I leave a Savage 24F in 223/20 in the foot well for the 3rd row seats with those seats folded down.

I used to leave a rifle in a pick up truck rear window rack, but decided that when I moved from the country to the suburbs it made my neighbors uncomfortable.
Posted By: PatB Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Yes, sometimes several... Guess I view it differently. I have some nice guns that serve their purpose very well. But If one or two gets swiped, BFD.. Get another.
Yes. I did the backseat modification on my Ram 1500 to allow the seats to fold down. There are good things behind those seats.
I have a handgun in the truck. Not sure how much longer I can get away with it, but I've never locked my vehicles around town or at home. We've been seeing more theft since the [bleep] hit the fan, mostly thugs coming from off the mountain doing night time runs.
Originally Posted by ldholton
... when the neighbors you do have think you're a crazy sob and will shoot somebody just for looking at you wrong keeps a thievery down.
Cuts way down on trespassing too.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by slumlord
I don’t have stupid shît like NRA or 30 point Bone Kollecta’ michael waddell stickers plastered all over my back window

Exactly, why advertise that you might have guns, bows, or other hunting equipment to be stolen. Zero stickers on my truck.
Originally Posted by dale06

Exactly, why advertise that you might have guns, bows, or other hunting equipment to be stolen. Zero stickers on my truck.

^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^ memtb
Fella down in Georgia had "No Trespassing - Death Traps Installed" signs on his warehouse...

No one ever broke in.
Not sure how many folks here leave a firearm in their vehicle, but this one has on occasion.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
I don't take my guns to town.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Would be a fool not too.

Why??
Originally Posted by P_Weed

You go to town unarmed?

/
They dont care about the stickers around here, you have a 4x4 truck, they just assume. Literally about two weeks ago they rode through my buddies neighborhood and busted out windows in all the nice trucks looking for guns.

I have gotten better about bringing it in with me when I get home due to all the break ins.
Originally Posted by Riverc
[quote=Nestucca]Would be a fool not too.

Why??

You go to town unarmed?

An old Johnny Cash song! 😉 memtb
I don't have stickers. I don't leave guns in a vehicle unattended/at night. If I am carrying, I am carryings. On the rare occasion I need to leave a gun in a vehicle, the vehicle's locked, it's during the day, in the wide open. I do not park my vehicle in sketchy places. Last time I did it was in that schithole Nashville and mine was one of seven broken into over night in the hotel parking lot. Fortunately, I had taken all 4 guns I was traveling with into my room for the night. All that was stolen was a couple of hundred rounds of .458 SOCOM ammo I was taking to my grandson. The thieves also missed a $3500 air rifle in another vehicle (young lady traveling to a match somewhere.) Now, at hotels/motels I leave nothing of value in the vehicle and don't lock the doors.
Those 'no gun' signs are for the other folks. I take my conceal carry right on in. No one knows it's there but me and that's the way I like it.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

You gotta remember too, that I live in a rural area. Most places don't care whether you carry or not. I know of 1 business that has a 'no weapons' sign. I ignore it.
Nope
Some places you enter are no carry zones. Post office, hospital, etc. Handgun stays locked in the car. Hasbeen
Posted By: WMR Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Of course I do. I go hunting a lot. I don't pack the musket into the gas station, store or restaurant. When traveling overnight, which is fairly common during hunting season, the guns and optics come in the motel with me. I don't carry my handgun in the school or courthouse here. I've never had one stolen but try to minimize the risk. I REALLY hate leaving my dog in the car. Loss of a gun would be inconvenient but losing the dog would be terrible.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Fella down in Georgia had "No Trespassing - Death Traps Installed" signs on his warehouse...

No one ever broke in.

NO TRESPASSING
Survivors Will Be Prosecuted
I rarely leave a rifle in the truck and never overnight. I do have an aftermarket steel console handgun safe in the truck that I can lock up a handgun and it’ll be safe from thieves for a little while. I also have a steel pistol box with a cable in the wife’s car for the times we go out and I have a beer. I can lock away my CC pistol in case I get stopped by a cop.
Living in the sticks has its advantages and guns is one of the biggest, all my trucks are loaded up, never know what is going to step out on ranch, I have CCH, so can carry loaded chamber on long guns, but during hunting season not a good idea because of hassle with Wardens if pulled over with all the city road hunters. I do take long guns out when I go to cities because my trucks absolutely look armed, but wife and I are always armed and ready.
With the passage of "safe storage" laws in many states/communities, we're starting to slide down a slippery slope. I believe some of these laws specifically address a firearm in a vehicle needing to be in a locked container.

Prosecuting or suing people that have lost firearms due to theft, where the firearm is then used in a crime, will be the next pandora's box that opens.
Ravens in all the door pockets for my esteemed and honored guests/passengers!!
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by gsganzer
With the passage of "safe storage" laws in many states/communities, we're starting to slide down a slippery slope. I believe some of these laws specifically address a firearm in a vehicle needing to be in a locked container.

Prosecuting or suing people that have lost firearms due to theft, where the firearm is then used in a crime, will be the next pandora's box that opens.
We have storage laws like the above here in the peoples republik of konnecticut. A $25 safe seems to satisfy the law so far. Stupidity is the norm here.
Years ago, a friend had his competition shotgun in his vehicle all locked up and stopped for supper before heading home. Came out of the eating establishment and his vehicle was gone. I guess locking up your vehicle really helps
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by gsganzer

We have storage laws like the above here in the peoples republik of konnecticut. A $25 safe seems to satisfy the law so far. Stupidity is the norm here.

That box is already open. Sorry.
Almost never leave one in the car. If the sign says “Handgun Fee Zone” I carry anyway. I’d rather get caught with It and asked to leave than get caught without it when I need it. My Doctors and Dentists all know I’m a retired LEO and don’t have a problem with me carrying. I ask them first. If they say no, I find a new Doc or Dentist. Just how I roll.

Ron
No.

L.W.
Locks and alarms systems won't stop a determined thief.
Posted By: JPro Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
I caught XDM 9mm pistols on sale a few years back for something like $350 each, so the vehicles each get an XDM in the console with at least a few magazines. The truck also gets an old 870 Express 7rnd with sideplate shell carrier under the seat, plus an over the shoulder magazine carrier with 6 more XDM magazines. All fairly cheap and all do the job. Not the end of the world if a vehicle gets robbed someday, as you can't predict such things, although I also don't advertise with decals and stickers.

I bet 1/2 of the vehicles on the road in my area have a firearm in them and that goes up to 3/4 for trucks.
I leave my cc pistol in my vehicle when I go into a business which doesn't allow for cc. I live in a farming community, so everyone has guns. During duck season I keep a shotgun in my pickup. When I go to town (pop about 9k) I throw a hunting coat over it. I keep a scoped ruger 10/22 in my truck 24/7. I never cover it. I lock my truck every time I get out. Although there are druggies everywhere I've never had a gun stolen.
I leave lots of stuff in my truck...during the daytime in a populated area. I throw a jacket over all rifles and place other stuff out of view. At night it is in a closed garage. Would not leave anything that I cared about in a locked vehicle at night ANYWHERE...
Posted By: Jahrs Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
I keep a Taurus 357 in my truck
The truck is always locked even in my driveway, especially in my driveway

If I have to go into a federal bldg. I'll bring a throw away gun too. Usually a Glock
Gray man I am.
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Gray man I am.

Smart man you are.
If one tucks an arm out of sight, it's considered concealed here in Oregon. Better have ones carry papers on hand should some incident warrant a search of one's rig.
Even with open carry being OK, there's that brief period when one is getting in or out of their rig that would be a gray area.

Not a habitual practice for me.
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Years ago my pickup was broken into, and a savage bolt 22 was stolen. They must have been in a hurry. And only wanted the rifle. On the passenger side floorboard, they left a couple grand worth of cameras and equipment. The rifle was in my easy rider window rack. Dumb move on my part.
Every vehicle I own has it's own designated "car gun" and extra mag in it. Something I am not in love with, but dependable just in case.

I have bicycling and rainbow stickers on my truck.
Never overnight, only when visiting the Courthouse, Post Office, Hospitals, bars etc…. I don’t advertise either.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

You may be safe lol.

But not...bike parts are expensive.

This is exactly the attention that causes them to be stolen. Drive a old folks car with an orthopedic seat cushion, and a few covid masks on the dash. Your gun will be safe
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

That's called trolling, and not internet trolling.
Easiest way to get a new Glock 19 is find the lifted Duramax with a punisher sticker that also has the "thin blue line" in it.
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Teal, That's also a good way to get killed. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

I'm just saying the brodozer with a punisher sticker is SCREAMING "G19 in the glove box". Much like Affliction jeans, faux ostrich boots and a tap out shirt with white Oakley shades screams Douchebag.
Posted By: SupFoo Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/02/23
Since this is a “semi anonymous forum”.....

It is not. The xxx agencies have user IP address soon as they log in.

Anyone who discloses personal information on this (or any other) forum is a fool.
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Would be a fool not too.

Why??

You go to town unarmed?
Because then whenever you jump in your rig you have a gun. You just answered it in the second quote for yourself with your question.

/
Originally Posted by 1minute
If one tucks an arm out of sight, it's considered concealed here in Oregon. Better have ones carry papers on hand should some incident warrant a search of one's rig.
Even with open carry being OK, there's that brief period when one is getting in or out of their rig that would be a gray area.

Not a habitual practice for me.
Or claim that your going to or from hunting or fishing and your covered.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Put the saddle on the stove Ma ~ I'm ride'n the range tonight.

Sometimes you have no choice, if you have to run into the DMV or Post Office, you only option is to leave it in the car or risk State or federal gun charges.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Cheapo 9mm in my truck 24-7-365. Well concealed, but easy to get too. Any work it needs to do is going to be at arms length, so don't need a $1000+ tricked out rig with fancy sights etc.

I ain't betting my life on a $250 gun. If it got "lost" I'd put another one in.
Leaving a firearm in a vehicle that is out of your sight is deliberate stupidity.
I've got at least three guns in my truck...after I've taken my guns out. Stupid probably....I figure I'm gonna have to kill somebody if that alarm goes off.
Posted By: 99guy Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Leaving a firearm in a vehicle that is out of your sight is deliberate stupidity.

Lots of deliberate and stupid people out there that wished they had a gun when they needed one.

Cept now they are dead.

Are people that leave guns in their house's when they are out of sight of the house deliberately stupid?
Guns are dangerous
Why would anyone even live in a place where a gun is needed.

wink
If you leave one in your vehicle make sure you don’t have an NRA sticker on your vehicle. I learned from a prosecutor that that’s how a gang he prosecuted admitted they acquired their firearms.
Posted By: johnw Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23

Morning Richard,

Makes sense for federal and government buildings, nuke plants, and etc. Any others, in Iowa, you can pretty much ignore. Iowa law specifically states that "No Guns" signs are not enforceable, except that if you are found to be carrying a gun, where the sign is posted, you can be asked to and required to leave the premises. And that's if you are found to be wearing a handgun. I can't imagine anyone ever finding out I have one unless I actually need to use it.

Best guide I've found Link-Handgunlaw.us
Posted By: johnw Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
And yeah...

There are places that I cannot practically carry a handgun. I either lock the vehicle with the handgun locked in the fairly secure glove box, or use one of the cheap cable secured vaults. Always 2 layers of locks and protection.

I have secure attachment points for a cable in my spare tire well of the car, and behind the seat of the truck.

And I realize that there is no place truly secure in a vehicle. Or my home for that matter. I make it a point to be as hard to steal from as I can.
Posted By: Teal Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23

You mean like cops when they take off on foot leaving behind the 870 or AR15 patrol rifle in the squad car?
I use to keep a cheap Remington 783 in the truck, but after a year of doing that, I found 3 more put into the truck when I wasn't around.
To be unarmed is to invite trouble...

Sign I am working on...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Drop me a PM if you are a sign maker... Thanks

Leaving home without a rifle is deliberate stupidity.
Kimber 1911 in the console of the work truck with an extra loaded mag. I’m in it 7 days a week, but yes it’s in there all the time whether I am or not. Usually with the keys in the ignition. Who the hell’s gonna steal a dirty 3500 dually diesel service truck? If I had a Honda accord maybe I’d think differently but don’t see that in my lifetime.
I once read that 400,000 vehicles are robbed for firearms per year. Gun guys know most firearms used in crimes are stolen. Do the math. I know four people including a cop who’s vehicles were broken into and robbed of firearms.

None had gun stickers or any of that jazz on their vehicle.
Originally Posted by Teal

You mean like cops when they take off on foot leaving behind the 870 or AR15 patrol rifle in the squad car?

You mean the 870 or AR-15 secured in a locked rack?
No choice when you have to go into a no weapons building.
Posted By: Stray Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Yep, nothing you can do about stealing the whole car, but I use these and they seem to be good for securing a revolver for snakes and stuff, like Chinese weather balloons. Sure they can probably rip out the whole console given enough cover and time, but it's all about balance.

https://guardiansafeandvault.com/locker-down-1/
Originally Posted by drop_point
I once read that 400,000 vehicles are robbed for firearms per year. Gun guys know most firearms used in crimes are stolen. Do the math. I know four people including a cop who’s vehicles were broken into and robbed of firearms .

None had gun stickers or any of that jazz on their vehicle.

Ditto for two longtime friends of mine AND one of their brothers, all Texas Rednecks. One from a Honda Accord at night on the wrong side of town. One from a pickup in a driveway on the nice side of town overnight, one from a pickup in the parking lot of an upscale restaurant in broad daylight. No bumper stickers involved.

One stolen gun was a five-shot stainless S&W .44 Special, another was a heavily worked over .45ACP 1911. Both these losses hurt.

The only one recovered was a Springfield Armory single stack 9mm (XDM??), found by a homeowner on his suburban front lawn 25 miles away two days later.
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Anyone who discloses personal information on this (or any other) forum is a fool.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I disagree. How is Rick Bin gonna know when to put the little birthday cake next to my name unless he knows who I am?

I love cake!!
"Anyone who discloses personal information on this (or any other) forum is a fool."

Almost as dumb as those who respond to "how much do you earn".

Simple ISP trace followed by home invasion.
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
"Anyone who discloses personal information on this (or any other) forum is a fool."

Yeah, I see your point. I mean, it's not like a criminal can find the homes of wealthy people near their own locations just by looking at the homes themselves.
Posted By: Teal Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yeah, I see your point. I mean, it's not like a criminal can find the homes of wealthy people near their own locations just by looking at the homes themselves.

And 90% of the people on the fire are using the ISP provided to them either by work or their cell phone provider....
Posted By: SKane Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by RIO7

I'm just saying the brodozer with a punisher sticker is SCREAMING "G19 in the glove box". Much like Affliction jeans, faux ostrich boots and a tap out shirt with white Oakley shades screams Douchebag.

LOLOLOL.

I've long maintained that white Oakleys were the fastest way to spot a douchebag playah.
Posted By: JPro Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
I told that to a buddy of mine a few years ago and he looked for a moment like I spit in his coffee, then he laughed and told me that he sure put a lot of miles on his white Oakleys back in the day.

And 90% of the people on the fire are using the ISP provided to them either by work or their cell phone provider....

You guys do realize you're quoting Larry Root, right?
Posted By: SKane Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by JPro
I told that to a buddy of mine a few years ago and he looked for a moment like I spit in his coffee, then he laughed and told me that he sure put a lot of miles on his white Oakleys back in the day.

laugh laugh

Did he, per chance, have a jet ski?
Posted By: kennyd Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Kimber 1911 in the console of the work truck with an extra loaded mag. I’m in it 7 days a week, but yes it’s in there all the time whether I am or not. Usually with the keys in the ignition. Who the hell’s gonna steal a dirty 3500 dually diesel service truck? If I had a Honda accord maybe I’d think differently but don’t see that in my lifetime.

Try Aurora, CO. Everything gets gone. There are no good areas as such. 3rd time caught you get a misdemeanor. Kids try every door on the street, break windows, open mailboxes. Vigilantism is mentioned more and more.
The signs are a suggestion, no penalty if you leave when asked. I never tempt fate at the postoffice. Metal detectors are a different story at hospital, court, etc.

If you ever find a way for a skinny old man to conceal a 1911, tell me. LCP mostly
Not even in the driveway .
Posted By: WMR Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by kennyd
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Try Aurora, CO. Everything gets gone. There are no good areas as such. 3rd time caught you get a misdemeanor. Kids try every door on the street, break windows, open mailboxes. Vigilantism is mentioned more and more.
The signs are a suggestion, no penalty if you leave when asked. I never tempt fate at the postoffice. Metal detectors are a different story at hospital, court, etc.

If you ever find a way for a skinny old man to conceal a 1911, tell me. LCP mostly

Who cares if the gun prints a little bit? Tell 'em it's a colostomy bag and ask if they wanna see it. Nobody will, and you'll have it if you need it.

Never...
The truck also gets an old 870 Express 7rnd with sideplate shell carrier under the seat

How do you manage to get that under a truck seat?
I used to leave a Makarov in the glove box. Truck was broken into, in my yard, in the late '90s and it got gone. It was recovered two years ago. I sold it as soon as I got it back, bad Ju-Ju.

Another time I had just bought two boxes of .222 Rem Mag ammo at a gun show and forgot to take them in the house that night. Sure as sh*t, got broken into that night. Betcha Tyrique had a hard time getting them to chamber in his stolen ghetto blaster....
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
You guys do realize you're quoting Larry Root, right?

Thanks, I did not realize that. I thought he was just a garden variety dumbass, I didn't realize the extent of his dumbassery.
Posted By: JPro Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by tjm10025
The truck also gets an old 870 Express 7rnd with sideplate shell carrier under the seat

How do you manage to get that under a truck seat?

Under the back seat, driver’s side.
Posted By: JPro Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/05/23
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh laugh

Did he, per chance, have a jet ski?

Not that I’m aware of, but very fair question!
No choice when you have to go into a no weapons building.
Yes you do, I carried 4 lbs of dog chain thru the magnetometer at the post office and didn't set it off. Do you really think they are scanning for you in iowa
Always, one in every vehicle. I always forget to remove them when I'm picking up grandkids at school. Damn, I'm a terrible person but so be it.
I am always amazed that men will allow their self-defense... the preservation of their lives and the lives of those they claim to love... to random erratic whimsical decisions of politicians/rulers that they so allegedly despise.
I try to never leave a gun in the truck or car, but there are times when it's unavoidable. My car and truck are old, nondescript and locked.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I am always amazed that men will allow their self-defense... the preservation of their lives and the lives of those they claim to love... to random erratic whimsical decisions of politicians/rulers that they so allegedly despise.
Agreed...
When The Smith&Wession is locked in the pickup, I still have my walikin stick, my knife, pepper spray, and a little knowles of hand to hand.

I disagree. How is Rick Bin gonna know when to put the little birthday cake next to my name unless he knows who I am?

I love cake!!

How many hours of day do you spend dreaming of me?
Are you kidding me?

I even have one in every boat, tractor and lawn mower
Right!
Who can fit em all in the safe?
Yep.
Both of ours.
Probably $100+ in change and small bills in mine too.
Sitting in the driveway. Unlocked.

If it gets gone, I'll replace it.

My Dad has lived his life worried someone might steal something from him.
He locks his car (absolutely nothing in it) in my driveway. If we want to put
something in it for him we have to unlock it.
He immediately re-locks it.
Sad. Pisses me off.
For years my truck sat there with the keys and a gun.

Wife does lock hers if she has store deposits in it.
I do not like her bringing that home. It's significant, cash,and not ours.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Only if I have to go to a courthouse for some reason, I ignore all other signs.

^^^This.

Had an SP 101 stolen about 10 years ago. Now it is always on me.
Locking or not locking a vehicle has little effect on a real thief gaining access.

Living in Wyoming has advantages beyond the good hunting.
Posted By: WMR Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Yep.
Both of ours.

Sad. Pisses me off.

Some kind of personal protest? Locking it just takes the push of a button. We’re rural and pretty safe but why lead someone into temptation?
Locking or not locking a vehicle has little effect on a real thief gaining access.

Locks just help discourage the curious. Might help with someone who’s “on the fence”.
Originally Posted by WMR
Some kind of personal protest? Locking it just takes the push of a button. We’re rural and pretty safe but why lead someone into temptation?

Pretty good point.

Locking won't stop a real thief but will stop a kid being dumb.
Sometimes unavoidable but..........If it gets stolen, used in a crime, the lawsuits could ruin you.
Originally Posted by WMR
Yep.
Both of ours.

Sad. Pisses me off.

I guess.
PITA though. Passenger door doesn't lock automatically.
Could fix it. If I locked it often.
Only do if I have a long gun or Dillon(The Boxer) in there.
Money, guns, are replaceable. Dillon isn't.
Posted By: 10at6 Re: Leaving a gun in a vehicle? - 02/06/23
Originally Posted by Masshunter
Sometimes unavoidable but..........If it gets stolen, used in a crime, the lawsuits could ruin you.
Not really
Originally Posted by WMR
Yep.
Both of ours.

Sad. Pisses me off.

I guess.
PITA though. Passenger door doesn't lock automatically.
Could fix it. If I locked it often.
Only do if I have a long gun or Dillon(The Boxer) in there.
Money, guns, are replaceable. Dillon isn't.

Yea, I commented earlier that I wouldn’t care too much about the contents but would be devastated to lose a dog.

I am very careful, almost to the point of paranoia, about security while traveling on a hunt. Losing some of that stuff could ruin the trip, and THAT would be serious!

I love cake!!

How many hours of day do you spend dreaming of me?

On average?? Zero.

But when I log on here and read about people doing stupid schit, I think of you often.

I think it's a word association thing.
Always
Yup leave one in the truck.
Single bbl 12 ga sawed waaaay down, 00 buck.
Tie wrapped to steering column muzzle up.
wire from trigger to clutch pedal.
keys over visor.

waitin and hopin'
I keep a cheap but very reliable pistol in my truck 24-7. Even when I have on my carry, it's still there. I'm not worried about someone stealing it. It cost a couple of hundred bucks. I do have a safe in my console. It would take a pretty prepared thief to get in it but I can open it in two seconds.

Yeah, lol

And I try not to leave any guns in a vehicle. More worried about tools than anything.
Originally Posted by WMR

Pretty good point.

Locking won't stop a real thief but will stop a kid being dumb.

Burns talking kids, hilarious.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Yeah, lol

And I try not to leave any guns in a vehicle. More worried about tools than anything.

I don't blame you. It takes a lot of praying to get a good ratchet set.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I don't blame you. It takes a lot of praying to get a good ratchet set.

Prayer? More like divine intervention!
I leave guns in my truck all the time. I guess maybe because we basically have a non-existent crime rate around here. I do cover them up with my Carharts, when I go into town.

This time of year, my tang safety 22-250 is in my truck.

Always.
I donated ammo to Antifa...

16 grains of Hodgdon ZIP under a 124 XTP.

Thank me later...

Spend any time in a city and you'll soon see a subject(s) trying the doors on vehicles. Doesn't take long at all until they find an unlocked one.

In Washington State, a citizen is not allowed to take a firearm (even licensed) into a bar or tavern unless it has a restaurant portion. Plenty of iron out in the parking lot.
In Washington State, a citizen is not allowed to take a firearm (even licensed) into a bar or tavern unless it has a restaurant portion.

Dat seems right silly...

Best place to kill vermin... I reckon.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
Anyone remember the case Trump talked about? The one where Kate Steinle was killed by an illegal in San Francisco?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Kate_Steinle

The suspect was found not guilty.

The pistol was stolen from a locked car and and was the gun issued to a Department of Interior Bureau of Land Management Agent. He could not bring it into some building on San Francisco and thus locked it in the car from where it was stolen. Several days later it allegedly went off by itself when the illegal in possession of it (he said he found it under a park bench) was "twirling" the pistol on his index finger when if fell and went off several times, striking Kate Steinle at least once and thus killing her.

So the State of California passed a law the next year making it a misdemeanor (and firing offense for anyone in law enforcement) to having a gun stolen from them by leaving the gun in locked vehicle unless it was in a locked case secured to a part of the vehicle.
So now it is a crime to be a victim. But tell that to Kate Steinle's father.

So I would not leave a firearm in a vehicle.

There is a little more to that story than that hero. And if fuggers were hung for stealing then it is a non issue... or at worst a quick resoloution. Or even maybe the same for allowing illegal aliens in the country. What an idea upholding laws that were not tainted by bullsheet attorneys not sticking up for the death of sovereign rights as a US citizen. Man what a difference that would make.
© 24hourcampfire