Home
Posted By: devnull Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Trying to figure out how to write this. I wanted to post here as it was Dad that introduced me to hunting at 5 years old. I was hooked from that day of just walking behind Dad as he was looking for rabbits. From there it was on to quail hunting, dove hunting and eventually big game hunting. I took up the sport more than he did but he lit the fire. He was the man I wanted to be. He was steadfast in his beliefs and he did things the way HE wanted to. He was a great provider and always worked hard in his job to make sure the family was taken care of. Mom and Dad would have been married 54 years on February 10th. They didn't quite make it to 54 years. Dad made it to 78 years old. In the end, cancer and ultimately renal failure called him home.

These last two weeks have been horrible watching him struggle and in pain. I did everything I could to make him comfortable based on guidance from hospice. Prior to that it was dialysis and cancer appointments. He had a desire to live until his body wouldn't let him continue. As those of you that read my previous posts know, I lost my 15 year old boy to suicide a little over 2.5 years ago. I knew that night he died that Dad's time was coming and feared the day of losing both. With both my Dad and my Son gone, I'm the last one living of our three generations.

If this has taught me anything, we go on in our life planning our days with no thought that tomorrow is never guaranteed. I know Dad is in a better place now. I'm glad I spent the time I could with him. Love those that molded you and let them know.

I love you Dad.
Sorry to hear of your loss, my he rest in the arms of Our Lord.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Praying for peace for you. Remember the good times with both and treasure the time you had.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Double sad stuff Devnull, may they rest in peace.

All the best to you/family and friends.
Posted By: pahick Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Prayers for you and your family 🙏🙏🙏
Posted By: hanco Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I’m very sorry for your loss!!!
Posted By: kennyd Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Condolences. Remember the good times, things learned and shared. The giving you did.

Loss of a child will haunt you forever. Do not second guess everything that went on, it is past.

We all have been through this, or will
Sorry for your loss .
I feel your pain devnull.

Lost my father to a painful form of cancer, he was my best friend and like you my first hunt was with him and it is because of him that I have enjoyed a life full of hunting and fishing. I also lost my son several years ago, he was 24 when he passed.

Prayers sent your way for peace, and for your father and son.

KB
My sincere condolences, Devnull.

I am blessed to still have my Dad, but he has cancer and I know he has limited time. I dread the day that you're living, brother. I wish I had some magic words to help ease your pain.
Very sorry for your losses.
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
My deepest condolences
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Devnull - you are living and thinking my same experience from last Spring. Glad he is no longer suffering.
I still talk to mine daily and bet you will too. I wish you peace and think you will find it in knowing how he loved you and you were a good son to him. Not much more can be done in life.
God bless.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Devnull, I don't have words to adequately express my sympathy for you and your family. The courage on display by your post is seldom seen by many. Please know that your father is in a better place and is without pain. I will lift you up in prayer for peace and comfort.
I'm very sorry to hear of your dads passing, my condolences to you and your family.

You've been through a lot in the last few years, more than is fair that's for sure. May God bless you and keep your family safe.
Posted By: Sako76 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry for your loss, it sucks! My story is similar to yours, lost my Dad in 2020 to MDS at 89, hunted and fished with him just about every weekend for 57 years.
Sorry for your loss. RIP.
Posted By: g5m Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, devnull. Losing your father leaves an empty place.
Posted By: Diesel Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I offer my condolences, sincerely felt. Only you hold those unique memories. I hope your days have some joy ahead.
Posted By: 300MAG Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Prayers to you and your family...........
Prayers sent for Dad, you, and all family and friends.
Life has a tendency to kick you when you're already down. Lost my dad to cancer at end of 2021. November of 2022 I killed a deer out off a blind me and him put together. I went into a depression from Thanksgiving until the new year. Didn't have the interest to try and hunt with a rifle. My dad was my best friend likewise. Tough stuff to deal with, said a prayer for you neighbor.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I'll say a prayer for you and your family.
The terrible loss you feel try to comfort it with their memories.
Posted By: SKane Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
frown I'm sorry to hear this.

Godspeed to your father and condolences to you and your family.
Posted By: akrange Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
The Woods are Lovely Dark and Deep ..

I have Miles to Go Before I Sleep ..

To a Promise Land a Soul shall Keep ..
May they both RIP
Hang in there. Prayers.
Wonderful tribute. God Bless.
Posted By: jc189 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Prayers sent for you and your family. May they both rest in peace.
Sincerest condolences for your losses and prayers for your comfort going on.

I am in the same slow process as well with my father... understand at least some of what you are feeling and have already been through it almost 17 years ago with my mother with cancer, etc.

The blessings of great memories are to be cherished and will help sustain you. You already know that many do not even have those!
Posted By: Huntz Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
My condolences.Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Words fail me.

Prayers up.
So sorry for your loss. Prayers.
Posted By: Raspy Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
prayers sent
Sorry for your losses.
Hang tight, prayers for you and yours.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
My prayers and condolences for you.
'Sorry to hear about your loss, both your son and your father. Remembering the good times will help get you through the pain.
Sorry for your losses.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
condolences and may he RIP , i went thru this 2 years ago its difficult keep your chin up.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Condolences.
My heart goes out to you brother. I lost my father 4 decades ago and still dream about him sometimes. I cannot fathom losing a child. You are in my prayers.
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I’m sorry for you and your family’s loss.
Prayers for peace from your friends in SC...

Live your life as a testament to both of them. Make them PROUD of the man you are.
Sorry for your loss. Hasbeen
Posted By: dale06 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
You’ve been through a lot and are hurting. So sorry to hear this. Remember all the great times you and your dad had, and move forward as much as possible.
Sorry for your loss. You were blessed to have him until 78.
I don’t comment on these threads as a rule. I offer up my prayer and hope for the best and avoid posting on it, as I’d wager many reading your thread and similar have done and will continue to do.

That being said, your story of your son back when it happened struck a chord I’ll never forget. I don’t have the right words, but know that many folks are keeping you and yours in their prayers and would offer what little comfort there is.
Prayers for you. Like stated above remember all the good times.
Sincere condolences
So sorry for your losses.
Prayers and hope you find peace devnull...
Posted By: LBP Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I’m very sorry for both of your losses, you are in my prayers.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry, man. I empathize with you in the heart pain.
Posted By: RHClark Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry to hear this. Life deals many people real [bleep] cards. The best way to escape sorrow is to try to help someone else bear their burdens. I hope you have someone in your life to help you bear yours right now.
Posted By: rte Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
I'm sorry to read about your dad.May he RIP.

I don't know how my wife and I would react if we lost one of our children.I assume you just have to soldier on,live the best life possible and remember the good times.
I’m awfully sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.
My mom just turned 80 and I dread the day of her passing. So sorry for your losses. Prayers for you and your family.
My condolences to you and yours.
Posted By: gkt5450 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
May God’s Comfort be upon you and your home.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Prayers for you and your family.
Posted By: dave7mm Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry for your loss.dave
Makes my heart heavy for you.
Sending prayers for your Dad and son....and your family.
Posted By: Deans Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.
My sincere condolences, your Dad sounds like the salt of the earth. You are blessed to have had him.
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Keep his memory close, he will be with you every step of the way. Condolences from my family.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Im sorry for both your losses. Take care of yourself!
Posted By: chris_c Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry for your loss
Posted By: memtb Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Extremely sorry for your loss! Never let go of the memories that you have of the times with your father….it will help carry you through until you meet again! memtb
Sorry Devnull.
Posted By: efw Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Wow son & father that’s rough very sorry to hear of your loss prayers up for peace
Posted By: 338Rem Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Sorry for your loss.
Im sorry for your loss. May he RIP.
I am sorry to hear this. I wish you and your family peace and the eternal joy of the wonderful memories your father left you with.
Sorry to hear of your loss, at least his suffering is over.
My condolences Sir.

Ron
Prayers sent for the family.
Posted By: jar Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
Very sorry to hear of both of your losses. prayers in route.
Sorry to hear this. I lost mine when I was a little kid. Don't have any memory of him. Prayers for you.
You and family are in my prayers, dude! It is a tough deal that only diminishes in pain with time. Went through a similar thing 4 years ago. I was with Pa when he took his last breath. The hospice thing is cool except when it is not and the immeasurable pain endured by a loved one can be a bit overwhelming. Hang tough!
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
So sorry for your loss. Take comfort in knowing you were a good son.

This does bring back a flood of memories. I was also 5 y/o when my dad started taking me hunting with him.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
My most sincere condolences.
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Osky Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/06/23
A prayer as soft and little as it is, I hope with the others here it helps bring you peace.

Osky
I'm sorry for your loss, sir.
No words sir...

I remember your post about your son. Praying you you.
Very sorry for your loss.
Posted By: socko1 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Thoughts and prayers. Head up, remember the good times and keep on truckin
Sorry for your loss,my parents are getting in their 80’s this year and i know that time is closing in. I dont think anyone is prepared for that. Im glad you have great memories to cherish.
Posted By: 673 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
That's a tough one devnell, sorry for your loss.
Posted By: CBB Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Jcubed Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Condolences.

I'm not looking forward to that day.
Condolences to you and your family and friends.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Condolences to you and yours.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
My sincerest condolences to you and your family during this difficult time.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Condolences as well. My dad passed away unexpectedly over 10 years ago in the middle of the night in a hospital where i had visited a few hours earlier.....

I always thought i would be by his side when he went......but it didn't work out that way.......i needed to tell him how i appreciated him more.....he was a great dad.

I hope you got to tell your dad what you always wanted to be able to before he passed.......

Gods peace to you and your family.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Some of us are very fortunate to have a dad that is everything a person could ask for in a father. It appears that you are one of them. I was as well. So sorry for your loss Sir.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Sorry for your loss. My Dad passed away about 1anx a half ago.
Posted By: LBP Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Damn Scotty, sorry to hear this too. Prayers sent.
Remember the good times. I miss my dad every day but try to live up to his ideals. It’s been 12 years and it still hurts but I dwell on the many good memories. It sounds like you have plenty of them with your dad.
What a beautiful homage to your dad. I am sure he loved you as much as you loved him. God bless.
Posted By: JD338 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Sorry for the loss of your Dad. Know that is is in a good place and smiling down upon you. Keep all those great memories front and center, especially when you start to feel sad.
He will live on forever in your heart.

JD338
Posted By: auk1124 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Deepest sympathies for your loss.
I am so sorry to hear of his and you son’s passing

This has got to be quite a burden you are carrying.

Hang tough and stay strong

And you know, you will see them both again. It’s not goodbye, but see you later.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Very sorry for your loss. Seek comfort and support in those that offer. I lost a brother and sister last year, 6 weeks apart plus 2 cousins and a brother in law. It zaps your mental and physical energy.
Posted By: acy Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Very sorry for your loss. You've had a rough couple of years. I sincerely hope that things get easier for you as time goes on. Remember the good times with both your son and your dad.
Sorry for your loss . May your father RIP.
Posted By: Riverc Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Sorry to hear that lost mine 2 years ago.
A heartfelt post.

I pray your dad is singing praises to God from the mountain.
Sorry for your loss and prayers sent for your family!
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sorry to hear of your loss, my he rest in the arms of Our Lord.

AMEN.
Posted By: pullit Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Sorry to hear about your loss. Prays sent for you and yours.
No words are adequate. That you mourn their passing makes their lives valuable, that you miss them gives meaning to the time you were in their presence.

May the Lord bring you peace at some point.
There is never a good time to lose a parent.
Life is a gift. Nothing on this Earth lasts forever, good or bad. All we can do is treasure and love those around us while we still have them and remember the happiness they brought.

I find that helpful. All we take with us when we leave this place is our deeds, the things we said and did.

I’m sorry for your devastating loss.
Posted By: Aviator Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
My condolences and prayers for you and your family
Very sorry for your loss.
Sorry for your loss. Hold onto the memories of you & him.
Sorry for your loss. Life ain’t ever easy, especially the losing loved ones part. Keeping a good thought for you.
Posted By: devnull Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Thank you all for the kind words and prayers. This week as many of you know is spent managing affairs, making plans and writing an obituary. It's hard to capture one's life you dearly love in just a few words. Mom is at a total loss and I'm trying to help her through this as well.

I started crying in front of Dad while he was still coherent. He told me, "Don't cry for me. I've lived a good life and done the things I wanted to do." I've always tried to live right by Dad and his statement gave me some comfort in his final days. It's going to suck not to be able to pick up the phone and call him about the latest outdoor adventure or what was going on at the farm. We're here for a short time and I remind myself that I've gotta make the best of it as life is ever-changing.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
🙏🙏🙏
Sorry for your loss and it will only ease with time. Lost mine about 2 years ago and i still think of him every single day....
Sturtart Hamblen, "Don't be afraid of the River of Death son, Our Father owns land on both sides of the river."
Posted By: Seafire Re: Dad passed away last night - 02/07/23
Condolences to you and your family at this time of loss...

I've seen a lot of death, working in hospitals and the medical field in my days...

but I've learned all death means, is our loved ones are just showing up to the Lord's House before we do...

they'll be waiting for us, when its our time....and then we'll be together never ending...

Peace be with you and your family at this difficult time...

Think of the good times that your dad blessed your life with.. his body may be gone, but his spirit will always be there watching over you and his other loved ones...until you are together once again in the Lord's House...
© 24hourcampfire