Home
I didn’t the first time, but did for about a month before the second. Took us time to get a JP appointment, had ice cream afterwards.
Yep. For about a year. She lived too far away so decided to get a little closer.
Why get married then?
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Why get married then?

So kids of said union aren’t bastards?
With the second one we lived together about a year before my previous divorce was final. Got married the day after it was final. We were married twenty-one and a half years and she decided she didn't want to be married. So that was it on that one. Met my current, and last wife shortly after that. She had a nice house. I lived in a camper. We dated for about two years and then I moved in with her. Then we bought a house together and got married a year later. Will be with her until one of us is in the ground.
Ive lived with so many I've lost count.
Lived with the current for 12 years before marrying her.
Given the condition of the church and how lightly people take promises to each other/God. I dont think I missed out on much.

Seriously I dont think it matters.
Over a year here, my Ex had been married before. We got married for her son’s sake, didn’t want to give a bad example more than we already had. Also he was enrolled in a Christian elementary school, didn’t want to put him in a difficult situation.

My Ex got married the first time when she got pregnant at 19 and being Pro-Life, abortion was out of the question. Her Filipina mom threw her out of the house, insisted she get married.

My Ex had gone to private schools, lived a protected life, she travelled as part of a traditional Filipino dance group. She met her first husband through dance. The first time the guy she was married to came home drunk and hit her she was shocked, the second time she was cooking, she turned around and hit him with the hot iron skillet, picked up the baby, and walked out. Borrowed bus fare money from a neighbor to get home from California. Didn’t accept a nickel of child support.

The guy never did look up his son, he was a non-entity in our marriage, the child, a man now, has never met him. When he was a teenager I offered to go with him to go find the guy if he wanted. He wasn’t interested. Tho we’ve always been on a first-name basis, he refers to me as his dad, I call him my son.

Me and his mom were married for twenty years before my Ex pulled the plug.
yeah, with two of mine. Different times of course
1 year.
Nope, did not live together before the wedding.
About 1-1/2 years for us before getting married.
Yes. Probably two years. Been married 11, together for much longer.

I didn't want any surprises.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Why get married then?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Wow!
BGG,
You set the bar high.
I wanna see someone top that today
That twernt an option where I was raised. Either get married or face a pissed West Texas father. That was pretty much the choices.
First one, no we didn't. Lasted a year. Her crazy showed about as soon as she said I do.

Second one yes, been together 13 years, married 10 and are very happy together.
Lived in sin for 7 years, married for 13.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Why get married then?

Doesn’t work, there are lots of bastards that had married parents, hundreds of them post here daily…
This was the woman I married. Didn’t care that I was ten years older, had no car, had no furniture, didn’t care that I slept on the floor, she liked motorcycles, guns, camping. Obviously a needle in a haystack deal for me. Clear out of left field.

She subsequently endured three sessions of chemo and surgery (after ectopic pregnancies) trying to give me a child. I bear her no I’ll will. Twenty years, rarely apart, the way I look at it she gave me the best years of her life.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
No. Wasn’t the type of example I wanted to show my daughters. Hasbeen
9 years with my second wife. Our son was 5 years old when that happened...
Justice of the Peace scenario.

Defended my world against my ex wife and Hennepin County MN

My ex wife became the biggest b itch I've ever known.. the world was all about her and no one else... even our children.

Married to her for a million years, but we crammed all into 8...

33 years with my second wife....
Nope. Hell, we didn't even date before we got married
Just friends. 26 years and still married. Her fiance was pissed when we got married
Why get married then?
The plan was always to get married, but it made financial sense to live together for the last couple years of college and until we got our careers started.

So, yes…….lived together for three years before getting married. I guess it worked, been married for 23 years in a career field with a much higher than average divorce rate.

George
Our leases ran out a couple of months before the wedding so we got a new place together.
We did not.
Living with them is easy before marriage……it’s after that’s difficult! 😂 memtb
Lived together on and off for about 6 years before we settled and tied the proverbial knot.

Be married 14 years on Tuesday.
Does this include women, too?
didn't
Nope, Married 3 months after we first dated. 51 years ago
First time no, second time go.
Originally Posted by memtb
Living with them is easy before marriage……it’s after that’s difficult! 😂 memtb
Truth. The legally binding thing puts an odd spin on things.
Good friend lived with his g/f for over 7 yrs. when they decided to get married. two weeks later he comes home from a trip and she is gone.....only answer he ever got is she decided being married was too intense....he was almost suicidal for a good while. 35 yr later he is still single.
My wife and I lived together for about 6 years before marrying. When we bought or first house we got married. Been married for 31 years, so it worked for us.
Yup
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
Just friends. 26 years and still married. Her fiance was pissed when we got married

That has the makings for a great story!
we were just fine after 31 years and not married. but we finally did when realized medical decisions for each other could get complicated if not married.
About three years.
Met in August, first date in November, engaged in December and married in July. Bought our first house in June but we didn't move in together until after our wedding. This August will be 48 years together, July will be 47 years married.
I discovered during my first marriage, that you don't truly know someone until you live with that person - how they will react to the stress of the daily grind, especially financial pressure.
When you're dating, you are both usually on your best behavior, trying to impress one another, with money to burn.
Once you take that vow, reality rears its ugly head.

Second time around, we lived together for a year. After 23 years, it seems to be working.
Nope. Dated two years at school. Married 50 years last July.
My son is dating a girl who thinks she is going to fix what's wrong with him

I am going to strongly advise him to move in with her if it continues to be a serious relationship - for both their sakes
For about a month.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

That has the makings for a great story!

Not much of a story. She had an apartment in Anchorage, he lived in MI. He came up once to try and bring her home. He slept on the floor and I slept with her. He was gone when I woke up.

For us it was a friend's with benefits type of thing
I lived with both of them. First wife ended up being counterfeit

Had a 25 year break in between them.

Shacked up with a bunch of women in that 25 year time span

You don't buy a truck without test driving it do you ?

Why not test the new dish washer as well !
18 months with the first. None with the second.
Lived together for 25 years then married in 15 so she could be on the health insurance I had when I worked for Oilstates.
Yes but not before the ring and a date. Maybe 6 months. So far so good.

P
Joel has related it before. His girlfriend was also pissed. smile

A year and 45 years here. Our first date was a snowmachine caribou hunt, our honeymoon was an 18 mile backpack to the sheep mountain. Her ram was bigger than any I've taken, dammit!
for about 6 months
Living in sin? Hell no. We don't do that in my family, AND, we don't eat McDonalds food, ever.
© 24hourcampfire