Home
They have been slowly drawing closer, I’m wondering how close they’ll get before Venus inevitably starts to dive back down into the sunset. In about three weeks the waxing crescent moon oughta pass right by them again.

What’s happening is the evening sky is looking behind us. Venus is coming up on the inside track and will dive back into the sun as it passes us on the inside.

Jupiter is being left behind and will disappear behind the sun as we go around it.

So from our perspective how close in the evening sky will the two planets get? I dunno, just waiting to see.
New_2_99s, Paul posted an incredible picture of Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon in the Canadian night sky couple days back.
Took this last Friday. That’s actually a crescent in a fone pic, with chupiter and Venus.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not on the KP. hint…
I call it “Chupiter” in honor of my Eastern European astronomy prof. 🧐
Originally Posted by ironbender
I call it “Chupiter” in honor of my Eastern European astronomy prof. 🧐

I was calling one “Weenus” in honor of a Sikh honor student we had, turns out in Bengali there ain’t any “V”s grin
They were lined up pretty good here the other day . Cell phone didn't get a good pic though.
Uranus is always showing
Originally Posted by slumlord
Uranus is always showing

Right.
There was a good view on the 24th of February.
I've been watching them........or at least when I can actually see the fahqin' sky in this perpetually overcast blowhole.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They have been slowly drawing closer, I’m wondering how close they’ll get before Venus inevitably starts to dive back down into the sunset. In about three weeks the waxing crescent moon oughta pass right by them again.

What’s happening is the evening sky is looking behind us. Venus is coming up on the inside track and will dive back into the sun as it passes us on the inside.

Jupiter is being left behind and will disappear behind the sun as we go around it.

So from our perspective how close in the evening sky will the two planets get? I dunno, just waiting to see.
I notice two extremely bright stars under the moon when the moon is in the setting quadrant of the sky (west). Are those them?
My wife and I had a meeting in Eagle River tonight and I spotted them on the way home. Wife said,"I think those are balloons". I explained what they were and she said, "I think you're right". Wow, I very rarely hear her say that!!!! grin
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I notice two extremely bright stars under the moon when the moon is in the setting quadrant of the sky (west). Are those them?

Yep. The moon is gonna keep tracking across the night sky towards the east as it always does. In about three weeks as it goes around the earth it’s gonna appear again in the sunset sky below those two and climb close by them again.

I’ve never kept track of how long it takes before, but Venus is gonna pass earth on the inside and then appear again ahead of us on the morning side of the sun, where it will be equally bright. Gonna try and watch for this.

28th November 1868, Venus was bright in the predawn sky when Custer attacked the Cheyenne camp on the Washita River, hence his moniker “Son of the Morning Star” wherever that came from.

I’m pretty sure there’s other battle references to Venus in the morning too at other times and places but that’s the one I recall.
Been noticing those two lately, but had no idea they were planets. Makes sense with how bright they are.
Holy Smoke, the clouds just cleared a bit.

Jupiter and Venus are almost side by side, a whole jump from just yesterday. Venus will likely be clearly above by this time tomorrow.

This is the closest they’re likely to get from our perspective.

Go out and look if ya want before they set.
Nice view here.

Me and kids got outta the truck tonight I looked up and ask the kids what that was I didn’t remember ever seeing them in the sky… kids said stars I was like ok and walked on them read something later and saw it’s the planets. Kinda cool
Yes, very nice.
Holy Smoke, the clouds just cleared a bit.

Jupiter and Venus are almost side by side, a whole jump from just yesterday. Venus will likely be clearly above by this time tomorrow.

This is the closest they’re likely to get from our perspective.

Go out and look if ya want before they set.
Yep. I noticed that on my evening walk tonight. A few days ago, they formed a vertical line, and now they are almost even with each other.
A little while ago.

A bit before that.

Thanks to your heads up I viewed it last night. Caught it just right with the planets as close as they would get.
they sure are pretty. i enjoy seeing them when i walk my dog at night
It cleared enough last night to get a good look at them. No stars were visible so it was still too hazy for the best view. I doubt we'll see them for the next few nights.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
New_2_99s, Paul posted an incredible picture of Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon in the Canadian night sky couple days back.

Thursday, Paul?
(a week ago)
Wednesday, Feb 22nd @ 9:16pm, Mike.
Great pic again Paul.
Saw it last night and swore it was some sort of aircraft.....probably Chinese
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Great pic again Paul.

Here's another one, Phil;

Good too, but I liked the tree framing, on the other 1 !
I really like that one of looking back on your house on a clear evening with snow as well. It's like a Christmas Card.
They are very far apart now. They got right up next to each other for a while there. Did they switch places, i.e., is the one that was on top now on the bottom? I assume their distance from each other will continue to grow now.
Holy smoke! We left Jupiter in the rear view mirror (evening sky) back in March, four months ago, now already we can see it out the windshield (morning sky).

Venus meanwhile, passing us on the inside lane, appears to be diving back into the evening sun.
Try stellarium - free app with star map...use it with my sons.
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Hey Tks, I just downloaded the app.
Holy smoke! We left Jupiter in the rear view mirror (evening sky) back in March, four months ago, now already we can see it out the windshield (morning sky).

Venus meanwhile, passing us on the inside lane, appears to be diving back into the evening sun.
Kind of weird how Jupiter Venus is only seen in the east before sunrise or west after sunset.
😉😆

Kind of weird how Jupiter is only seen in the east before sunrise or west after sunset.
😉😆
I've seen it close to overhead.

Kind of weird how Jupiter is only seen in the east before sunrise or west after sunset.
😉😆

Naah, it’s like NASCAR, we are going round and round forever turning left, heading east. Venus is about to pass us on the inside. We are gaining on Jupiter and gonna pass it on the inside, so in a couple of months you’ll see it out the passenger side window and then after that it’ll disappear in the rear view mirror behind the sun.

It like repeats and stuff.
When Jupiter aligns with Mars then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars.

😉😆

Naah, it’s like NASCAR, we are going round and round forever turning left, heading east. Venus is about to pass us on the inside. We are gaining on Jupiter and gonna pass it on the inside, so in a couple of months you’ll see it out the passenger side window and then after that it’ll disappear in the rear view mirror behind the sun.

It like repeats and stuff.

Like thanks teacher lol good explanation
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Hey Tks, I just downloaded the app.
You have room for another app on that ancient phone of yours? grin

And remember.......................don't leave it in the buggy at the Walmarks.
Originally Posted by Morewood
When Jupiter aligns with Mars then peace will guide the planets and love will steer the stars.
If you are going to quote the song then we need

pics of naked, nubile, hippy chicks
😉😆

That's Venus and not Jupiter. (Also Mercury but it's less obvious / noticeable in the sky). Why? Because Mercury and Venus are inferior planets.

Inferior planets: Those which lie closer to the Sun than the Earth (Mercury and Venus).
Superior planets: Those which lie further from the Sun than the Earth.

smile
I'm not sure I want to watch that video.

I can tell from just what I can see there in your post that it probably involves science...............

and we don't like no science stuff around here.
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Like thanks teacher lol good explanation

If you want to witness a real epiphany, explain to someone how the phases of the moon works and why the moon appears in the sky the times it does each day.

You’d be surprised how many people go their entire lives without understanding that.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I can tell from just what I can see there in your post that it probably involves science...............

Plus, she's an actual astrophysicist. Yeah, pretty scary stuff. grin
Originally Posted by BFaucett

She’s hot, no one cares that she’s an astrophysicist.
Them sorta pretty ones are easier to watch/listen to than some old gray haired geezer!

She’s hot, no one cares that she’s an astrophysicist.
Not only is she hot, but she can write backwards so we can read it through the clear board.
😉😆
That's Venus and not Jupiter. (Also Mercury but it's less obvious / noticeable in the sky). Why? Because Mercury and Venus are inferior planets.

Inferior planets: Those which lie closer to the Sun than the Earth (Mercury and Venus).

smile
Oops. blush

That’s what I was thinking, but failed to get it to my fingers.
Oops. blush

That’s what I was thinking, but failed to get it to my fingers.

[Linked Image from cloudynights.com] smile
😉😆

smile

So, the eastern elongation of Venus occurs in the western (sunset) sky. Well that clears things up. Prob’ly I need to watch it a few more times.
She also has one on the phases of the moon.

But what she needs to do is draw the earth large enough to have a lit up (daylight) side and a dark side with the approximate times of day marked on it; 12 noon pointing towards the sun on the daylight side, 12 midnight pointing away from the sun on the dark side.

She needs arrows to show the moon is going counter-clockwise. The earth is also rotating counterclockwise so the numbering of the hours goes counter-clockwise too.

The boundary on the earth where light goes to dark should be marked “6pm” and the boundary on the earth where dark goes to light should be marked “6am”. The direction of travel of the earth in its orbit of the sun is the 6am side.

All of that so people understand why sometimes a half moon is visible in the afternoon/sunset and sometimes in the morning/sunrise, and why a full moon is visible all night long.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
This reminds me;

I miss Pluto !
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
This reminds me;

I miss Pluto !
Disney fired him for being straight.
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
This reminds me;

I miss Pluto !
Disney fired him for being straight.

[bleep] !

You know what else ?

He had 3x the IQ, of Jeff0 !
😂😆😂😆
Well dang, Venus has zipped by us on the inside already while I weren’t paying attention, it’s already high in the sky in front of us (morning sky).

‘Course, now it’s running away it oughta get less bright as it gets further away and curves back behind the sun. Once it does it oughtta be gone for a while as it has to go all the way around the sun before we see it again in the rear view mirror (evening sky).

Stay tuned.
Were you aware that the only planet other than Earth that's mentioned in the Bible is the Jew, Peter?
Super Moon tonight, if it's clear enough to view it where you are.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Super Moon tonight, if it's clear enough to view it where you are.
It was great last night although a bit red from smoke. Clear skies today and tonight.
© 24hourcampfire