Home
Is the current discount regional banks are trading at attractive enough for you to be a buyer? If not, is there a price that would entice you to buy?

Is it time to start buying 2 year and greater term bonds or rolling treasury ETFs? Will the fed stop raising rates? At the beginning of last week the market seemed sure of 50 bp hike on March 22/23. A week later many are saying the fed will pause rate hikes.
DPST is a Direxion 3X leveraged regional bank fund if you are brave. Lost over 35% today.

Down 62% YTD.
KRE is a regional bank fund... I sold mine yesterday at a small loss... just not worth the worry until this crap shakes out.
Just purchased a piece of property with my expendable cash, would be buying local bank stock if not.
I’m not interested at any price as I know very little about the banking industry.
Oh yeah! All I can get….😳
If you spend a lot of time following bank stocks you can make some money. I don't have that kind of time. Dividend paying stocks in well established companies is a better strategy for the long term. But, if you have a lot of time..........

kwg
Can one make bank buying into this sector?
Man, we are poontang hair away from a complete collapse of everything. Nearly every bank has a schit load of treasury bonds that they can’t unload for years without taking at least a 25 percent haircut. They are under capitalized as it is, but figure in that and it’s mind boggling. If people start getting their money, then there isn’t enough to go around.

Apparently for the first time in 107 years the federal showed a quarterly loss last quarter and lost $15 billion.

We are in the pickle. We need to raise rates to stop inflation. Raising rates undermines the entire system and will bring a crash. And then of course, the clueless Biden proposes a $6.5 trillion budget.
Uh, Suckers?
Not I.
Let’s See ..

Treasury’s got a 28 Billion Line of Credit for this Emergency to Fix a 658 Billion Problem..

Will somebody please Write this on the Dumpster..
I bought FRC not long after open yesterday and am up over 40%. SCHW also but it is back only 10%.

Also HBAN but it is stuck down. Odd, since their balance sheet actually looks pretty good and they’ve historically been able to avoid exposure to crashes.
Looks like HBAN broke loose at open and all of them are printing now.
Not I.
I owned a few shares in our local bank. I still have the paper, but Tom Huston made the stock worthless one Friday afternoon in 1985.
Keeping My Finger on the Trigger all Day ..

Obsessed with every Tick on the Screen..

Not knowing if a Whale will Bail ..
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Man, we are poontang hair away from a complete collapse of everything. Nearly every bank has a schit load of treasury bonds that they can’t unload for years without taking at least a 25 percent haircut. They are under capitalized as it is, but figure in that and it’s mind boggling. If people start getting their money, then there isn’t enough to go around.

Apparently for the first time in 107 years the federal showed a quarterly loss last quarter and lost $15 billion.

We are in the pickle. We need to raise rates to stop inflation. Raising rates undermines the entire system and will bring a crash. And then of course, the clueless Biden proposes a $6.5 trillion budget.
Clueless my ass! All this chit is intentional. Nobody is capable of screwing up so much so fast by accident.
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I bought FRC not long after open yesterday and am up over 40%. SCHW also but it is back only 10%.

Also HBAN but it is stuck down. Odd, since their balance sheet actually looks pretty good and they’ve historically been able to avoid exposure to crashes.

Did you sell today?
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Clueless my ass! All this chit is intentional. Nobody is capable of screwing up so much so fast by accident.

I think you underestimate career politicians.
Originally Posted by kingston
Did you sell today?

Everything but HBAN. It closed down so probably should have sold just after open, but I am confident they'll be fine.
I sold UTWO into the hysteria yesterday and should have bought regional banks, but hadn't done my research. There's really no excuse, I had all weekend... LOL.

I hope you killed it!
Yesterday's Dead Cat Bounce will be BLOODY today.
Are you comparing net loans to cash? Their exposure to Treasury securities went from 5 million in 2021 to 103 million in 2022. I've never really looked under the hood in this sector, what would you call a good balance sheet in today's environment?
Been trading them last 3 days. No way I would " invest " in any right here, I don't think the old long term, brain dead mantra of " buy and hold " will suit folks well at this juncture. Not in financials, We are in a little bit of a pickle...some dang good money to be made trading though.
Originally Posted by erikj
Are you comparing net loans to cash?

I am looking at the below primarily, which just the percentage their hold to maturity securities have fallen. But their loan to deposit ratio is not bad either, and those loans aren't focused on one sector like a lot of the specialty banks are/were.

But of course I bought some SCHW....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Look at B of A.

$108.5 Billion loss at market value.

What date are these stats calculated from? Feb.?
Thanks Stick.
I don’t trade much, but probably time to start looking for deals.

yep, its a schitshow now

bought frc at average of 21 the other day. bought some CS this morning at 1.82 big gamble obviously

they'll get bailed out again. Have stop orders in place obviously

energy is starting to look attractive. dly, dsl are a buy I think too

The end of February is my understanding.

It is good to know but only a partial picture. Schwab, for example, is mostly a brokerage and is definitely in the “too big to fail” category, especially now. And they have ~$100BB in cash.

Huntington is in good shape here, and their deposit base is really diverse.

Both seem well insulated against any run that could reasonably happen.
I'd love to see what that spreadsheet looks like today.

The end of February is my understanding.

It is good to know but only a partial picture. Schwab, for example, is mostly a brokerage and is definitely in the “too big to fail” category, especially now. And they have ~$100BB in cash.

Huntington is in good shape here, and their deposit base is really diverse.

Both seem well insulated against any run that could reasonably happen.

Regarding SCHW, how much of that has to do with their brokerage business?
I had JPM and sold it 6 months ago. I had FNCL ( Fidelity Financial ETF) for 3 yrs and sold it a few days ago for a very respectable profit and used the money to buy Associated Bank. Monday morning I sold Ally Capital that I only had 2 months. I was up 30% but took a loss of 8%. I am looking at banks fairly soon. but I wont buy much cause my ETF's have a lot of financials in them.
I sold JPM too early too, but I bought it in May of 2020. I also had bought ALLY around the same time and sold it too early.
I hope everyone did well today and got a piece of the bank stimulus.
Fed poised to approve quarter-point rate hike next week, despite market turmoil

The Federal Reserve likely will approve a quarter-percentage-point interest rate increase next week, according to market pricing and many Wall Street experts.

A rate increase would come just over a week after other regulators rolled out an emergency lending facility to halt a crisis of confidence in the banking industry.

“This might be one of those times where there’s a difference between what they should do and what I think they will do. They definitely should not tighten policy,” said Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody’s Analytics.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/17/fed...ke-next-week-despite-market-turmoil.html

As if banks weren't already radioactive.
Banks aren't radioactive.
Nope! Why? Stick with the big banks. I heard SVB was 20% in Crypto, not sure if this was true.
The regionals are where the upside is. SVB was a huge outlier. The big banks would love to turn this into a catalyst for consolidation.

There's lots of noise out there.
Key Bank is on sale
Kingston: He-he.
Nope.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
How soon will the unwashed masses beg for a CBDC to save them from economic calamity?
Can’t believe they haven’t came at the 2nd harder, but honestly they might not need too if they tighten the noise tight enough they’ll be begging to hand them over.
Treasury Smurf says there is NO Implicit Guarantee that Bank Deposits are Guaranteed you’d better take Notice ..

Believe Me right now people have pondered It’s Statement and will act Accordingly Going Forward ..

A Cascading Event in the Banking System is a Very Real Possibility..

There are 168 Banks on the Edge if half go in the Next Month it will be the Doom Cycle no matter how you look at Banks Today ..

Please Don’t Jump Out the Window..
Yawn.
I’m walking On Sunshine..

Oh Oh ..
Originally Posted by akrange
Treasury Smurf says there is NO Implicit Guarantee that Bank Deposits are Guaranteed you’d better take Notice ..

Believe Me right now people have pondered It’s Statement and will act Accordingly Going Forward ..

There are 168 Banks on the Edge if half go in the Next Month it will be the Doom Cycle no matter how you look at Banks Today ..

Is this from the Q thread?
Originally Posted by jackmountain
noise

Yes
Like I just told my wife.

Don't worry baby.

We owe the bank more than they owe us.
I have been buying a lot of citibank stock and am confident it will be pay off.
Originally Posted by akrange

Is this from the Q thread?

No blurry pics and no reference to the nwo, Soros, the Rothschilds, adrenochrome, or the white hats.

Nope.
So it's BS. Yep. Your bud the Bidet said the Banks are good, just before Moodys rated them down close to the woolves BS.
wink

Don't worry woolve, the economy is gonna be great, after the Military moves Trump back into the WH. grin
Decided to buy a bit of Republic Friday afternoon...
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
Decided to buy a bit of Republic Friday afternoon...

Another downgrade

May take a small position at the open...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Don't worry woolve, the economy is gonna be great, after the Military moves Trump back into the WH. grin

Is that fantasy option A or fantasy option B?

Are you peaking again?
© 24hourcampfire