Home
Posted By: steve4102 Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
…like it, got one?

I have one on a Safari in 300 WSM
Posted By: viking Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I had one on a BAR 30-06. It shot tiny groups once you learned the mushy trigger. I never shot it with the ported device, I installed the CR device (cr= conventional recoil).
Posted By: michiganroadkill Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Played with one working up a load for nephews 7-08.
Seemed to work as advertised. Never took it off, cause never had a reason to.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by viking
I had one on a BAR 30-06. It shot tiny groups once you learned the mushy trigger. I never shot it with the ported device, I installed the CR device (cr= conventional recoil).
Mine came with both, I learned right quick not to shoot this thing with the ported BOSS without really good ear protection.

The CR was installed and stayed installed.
Posted By: cfran Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Hugely dislike them. Great if you want to blow out your ear drums at the benefit of slightly reduced recoil. Plus they are ugly as sin. I think the accuracy element of a BOSS is also over rated. But this comes from a guy that doesn’t like Abolts either, so YMMV.
Posted By: denton Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I have an 18" 30-06 with one. It works. Man, is it loud!

Shot it a few times with the ported version, then permanently switched to the unported version, as others have done.
Posted By: jar Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
take them off , cut them off , trash ! as said above , a lot of noise for very little result !
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Loud, ugly as sin and saw a guy peal most of the paint from the hood of his truck shooting one
Posted By: weaselsRus Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Have a M70 30/06, it takes some shooting & experimenting but it will shoot great groups with every bullet I tried. Bought a M70 22/250 from a member here with the same results. It's as loud as the previous posters claim but it does tame the recoil a bunch.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Used to know a tiny (Less than 100 pounds) little young lady that had a Browning auto in 338 win mag that had the BOSS.
It was amazingly accurate and seemed to kick about as much as a 243 winchester but ..........it was LOUD! Brutality so.
This is a three shot group with my BOSS equipped Bar Safari 300 WSM 180gr Nosler Partitions at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jbmi Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Have one on my Left Handed Browning Stainless Stalker 7-08. I did get rid of the ported BOSS and replaced it with the solid one.
It works, find the ammo you like and dial it in, same results at shown by steve410.
I shoot my rifle for affect, not for looks.
Posted By: Potsy Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Had one on my A Bolt II .25-06. Wish I’d have skipped it, but…….

I did replace it with the CR model recently and enjoy shooting it more (pretty sure I lost hearing to it over 25 years), but there is more recoil, even from a .25-06 (Browning recoil pads are almost as good as Rugers:/).

I wanted something super accurate at the time and thought the BOSS would help. Turns out I never played with it much, and all the A-Bolts I was ever around are stupid accurate anyway. It’s the SS version, so it ain’t like I ever fretted looks.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I had one on my M70 in 338. I had it cut off and the barrel re-crowned.
Posted By: goalie Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
Originally Posted by steve4102
…like it, got one?

WHAT?!?!?!? CAN'T HEAR YOU
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I had one. Sold it. Too loud. But is absolutely worked. I could dial in just about any load and make it shoot under an inch. Just wasn't worth it, simply too loud
I’m a bit befuddled with all of YOU saying it’s too loud, so you cut it off or sold it.

Did you not look into the CR first?

As I said, my rifle came with both. One round with the ported and I installed the CR.
Posted By: keith Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
A friend of mine invented the BOSS system and sold the patent.

I have BAR's with the BOSS on them in 270,30/06, and 7 mag. Also had A bolts in 270 and 7 mag with the BOSS on them. Even the BAR's tuned the groups down to the groups you see in Steves groups above. I have never had a rifle with a BOSS On it that failed to tune loads to very, very small groups.

Our tuning method was simple, screw the tuner all the way to the rear. Shoot two shot groups moving the tuner 2 clicks at a time. This takes some time and ammo, and for this reason, many people never get the maximum benefit from the BOSS.

It is really amazing to shoot pencil eraser size groups with a BAR!

In the Browning owner's manual, there are recommendations on that settings to use with a particular bullet, ours ended up being somewhat different.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I think a lot of guys bought them used and didn't know a CR BOSS is available. Pretty sure possibly free if you need one and call Browning.

2 buddies have them on A Bolt Varminters. Both shoot tiny groups with a little fiddling and any load.

My 300 Mag SS Classic was the same.
Posted By: goalie Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
I’m a bit befuddled with all of YOU saying it’s too loud, so you cut it off or sold it.

As I said, my rifle came with both. One round with the ported and I installed the CR.

My stuff that's threaded wear cans.
Originally Posted by goalie

My stuff that's threaded wear cans.
Cool, are they adjustable for accuracy?
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/18/23
My son’s New Haven Model 70 Classic Stainless .338 Win Mag has one. Other than a Boyd’s laminate stock, it’s “as is“ from the factory.

Yes, it’s loud with the ported cap.

We spent a Saturday dialing it in with three different loads, using 200 grain Ballistic Tips, 225 grain Accubonds, and 250 grain Partitions. Between the two of us, we fired 60-70 rounds through it.

We were both wearing earplugs and muffs, so had the ported cap installed. After a day of that much shooting full pressure rounds that many times, the reduced recoil was appreciated.

We found a setting for each load that got two 3 shot groups of one hole. The settings are written down so the Boss can be adjusted easily for each load.

A couple weeks later, we put everything to the test with the CR cap in place. 250 yard, 5 shot groups for each load, adjusting to our recorded settings.

The largest group was 1.72”. It works.

I have never seen a factory stock, run of the mill production rifle this accurate with multiple loads. Ever.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
I have an A-Bolt II in .30/06, with the BOSS-CR fitted. It didn't take long to tune it in to my preferred loads, and so tuned it is the most accurate rifle I own, consistently putting 5 rounds through one hole at 100 m.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Have a lefty 300WM A-Bolt Medallion w/ BOSS. Sub MOA all day. I don't have a CR sleeve. I also don't have many friends at the range anymore.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Have a lefty 300WM A-Bolt Medallion w/ BOSS. Sub MOA all day. I don't have a CR sleeve. I also don't have many friends at the range anymore.

lol
Posted By: Mac84 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Have a M70 30/06, it takes some shooting & experimenting but it will shoot great groups with every bullet I tried. Bought a M70 22/250 from a member here with the same results. It's as loud as the previous posters claim but it does tame the recoil a bunch.

Similar setup in my 30-06. Very accurate but loud as hell
Posted By: Swamplord Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Proven fact in this thread .... Internet pussies posting that the BOSS is loud ....

Did it occur to you that common safe gun usage involves wearing ear protection ?

Your two mommies didn't teach you that ? WTF kind of parents you got, a couple of dykes ?
Posted By: cfran Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Proven fact in this thread .... Internet pussies posting that the BOSS is loud ....

Did it occur to you that common safe gun usage involves wearing ear protection ?

Your two mommies didn't teach you that ? WTF kind of parents you got, a couple of dykes ?

No kidding? But I generally don’t have time to slip on my ear protection when a whitetail buck is sneaking quickly through and doesn’t give me time to put on ear protection. If you make the shot, with a BOSS you can’t hear for the rest of the day.

You do you, but my guns don’t need a boss to shoot a good group, maybe your Browning does. But the recoil doesn’t bother me so I fail to see the appeal.
Posted By: fester Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
…like it, got one?

This is a three shot group with my BOSS equipped Bar Safari 300 WSM 180gr Nosler Partitions at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice shot.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
If you shoot a rifle with any kind or brake on it, it will be loud. With the BOSS you have the ability to use the brake or the conventional end piece... your choice. They shoot the same.

I have 3 BOSS rifles currently and they are stupid accurate. Instead of tuning a load to your gun, you tune the gun to the load. This is the brilliance of the gun and the reason the design won the Popular Mechanics award
Posted By: viking Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
If you shoot a rifle with any kind or brake on it, it will be loud. With the BOSS you have the ability to use the brake or the conventional end piece... your choice. They shoot the same.

I have 3 BOSS rifles currently and they are stupid accurate. Instead of tuning a load to your gun, you tune the gun to the load. This is the brilliance of the gun and the reason the design won the Popular Mechanics award

Yep. Just load your favorite bullet for the task, X bullet or whatever to the nuts and tune the BOSS.
Posted By: jar Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by cfran

No kidding? But I generally don’t have time to slip on my ear protection when a whitetail buck is sneaking quickly through and doesn’t give me time to put on ear protection. If you make the shot, with a BOSS you can’t hear for the rest of the day.

You do you, but my guns don’t need a boss to shoot a good group, maybe your Browning does. But the recoil doesn’t bother me so I fail to see the appeal.
Well my rifles get shot in the field as much as at the range, so loud is a big factor ! and as much fun as it is to kill paper all day we all know that shooting those very small groups off a bench , that very tight accuracy is not in play when you are shooting off hand in the field . so for tight groups it is what it is in a real hunting situation. dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/19/23
Originally Posted by jar

Well my rifles get shot in the field as much as at the range, so loud is a big factor ! and as much fun as it is to kill paper all day we all know that shooting those very small groups off a bench , that very tight accuracy is not in play when you are shooting off hand in the field . so for tight groups it is what it is in a real hunting situation. dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .
Funny schit right there.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23
Originally Posted by jar
…dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .

Or, if you have a minute-of-8.5”x11” rifle, you’ll never know if a miss or a bad hit was you or the rifle. I prefer to eliminate the rifle variable and put the blame square on myself, good or bad.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by jar
…dont get me wrong I love being able to put a sub group on a paper and recoil has never been an issue for me but, that gun is only as accurate as the shooter behind it in an off hand situation and that critter never knows it got killed by a sub group shootin high end boomstick .

Or, if you have a minute-of-8.5”x11” rifle, you’ll never know if a miss or a bad hit was you or the rifle. I prefer to eliminate the rifle variable and put the blame square on myself, good or bad.
Yup.

You would think most shooters/hunters would already know this, guess not.
Posted By: BuckHaggard Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23

That happened to me a few years ago. Instant deafness and ringing, I saw stars it was so loud. I like the gun and it's super accurate, but I think I'm gonna get the unported version from MWG.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23
Nasty Muzzle brake and not as effective as other muzzle brakes.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Effective in what way, accuracy fine turning or recoil reduction.

Purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil. I hear all kinds of guys shooting uber magnums with every conceivable muzzle break at my range. I have yet to hear one sound as nasty as a Boss in a rifle chambered for a 7mag. Most muzzle brakes are .010 over bullet diameter, I think the browning Boss exceeds that by a good amount.

Purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil. I hear all kinds of guys shooting uber magnums with every conceivable muzzle break at my range. I have yet to hear one sound as nasty as a Boss in a rifle chambered for a 7mag. Most muzzle brakes are .010 over bullet diameter, I think the browning Boss exceeds that by a good amount.

The BOSS is not a muzzle brake, so you are comparing apples to rocks.

BOSS stands for Browning's Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System. The BOSS simply tunes the vibrations of your barrel. It comes in two variations, a ported one that can double as a break and a solid one that has no ports and no break capability.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23
Hugely dislike them. Great if you want to blow out your ear drums at the benefit of slightly reduced recoil. Plus they are ugly as sin. I think the accuracy element of a BOSS is also over rated. But this comes from a guy that doesn’t like Abolts either, so YMMV.
Rifles are made to shoot things. And to do so more accuracy is never bad.

Harmonics are what you do when you vary bullets/powder charges. Its why Creighton came up with his test. The Boss system works that like a champ.

Looks. Well if you have to worry about them thats your gig. But I could care less what my guns look like as long as they perform. There is a tiny lie in there. I have played with synthetic stock colors just messing around but since we shoot lots of ARs one doesn't much worry about looks. Never have really. Blue action. SS barrel. Who cares what color rings or scope. It simply has to work.

The boss system should have taken off. Its well thought out. The recoil reduction part of the system was available and anyone knows they are always loud no matter.
Originally Posted by rost495
Rifles are made to shoot things. And to do so more accuracy is never bad.

Harmonics are what you do when you vary bullets/powder charges. Its why Creighton came up with his test. The Boss system works that like a champ.

Looks. Well if you have to worry about them thats your gig. But I could care less what my guns look like as long as they perform. There is a tiny lie in there. I have played with synthetic stock colors just messing around but since we shoot lots of ARs one doesn't much worry about looks. Never have really. Blue action. SS barrel. Who cares what color rings or scope. It simply has to work.

The boss system should have taken off. Its well thought out. The recoil reduction part of the system was available and anyone knows they are always loud no matter.

There ya go.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/20/23
Originally Posted by rost495

One reason the BOSS system didn't take off is that it was at least partially designed for shooters who didn't handload to "tune" their rifles for a specific factory load. Unfortunately, back then (the mid-1990s) very little factory ammo used temperature-resistant powder, so the tuning often went out of whack at various temperatures. It could also sometimes go out of "tune" as a clean barrel fouled.

BOSS stands for Browning's Ballistic Optimizing Shooting System. The BOSS simply tunes the vibrations of your barrel. It comes in two variations, a ported one that can double as a break and a solid one that has no ports and no break capability.
a ported one that can double as a break

Your quote not mine.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/21/23

a ported one that can double as a break

Your quote not mine.

It is, but being a break was never it's primary function. so comparing it to a Break is, well ...
Posted By: 99guy Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/21/23
I bought a 300 WM in about 94 or 95 and it will shoot absolute bug holes and the recoil is way more tolerable than any standard 300 Win Mag I have ever shot.

Loud as hell but with the 26" barrel it is barely tolerable shooting it in the field. I liked it so much I bought a 280 Rem with a 22" barrel, no problem with accuracy with ear plugs covered by muffs at the range, but the first time I shot it at a deer without hearing protection my left ear rang for 3 days. Still own the 300 and plan on taking it to Africa, the 280 has been gone for 25 years. Replaced by a A-bolt 280 without the BOSS.

The only way to stand the concussion is to be behind them when they are fired. When you are about to touch one off make sure your friends, guides, range mates (especially under roof) etc. are standing behind the boss and not to the left or right or lest you risk the possibility of them socking you in the mouth or square between the eyes.
Posted By: RickBin Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/21/23
As others have pointed out:

Loud. And not just a little bit.

Ugly. And not just a little bit.

Works. Yep. It does.
Posted By: jar Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/21/23
It is always amusing to listen to the over thinkers. but to give credit where credit is due ,I very seldom ever have had to take a shot over 200yds. except for funning around. so I am sure there is a reason for a boss system , just not in my world.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by jar
It is always amusing to listen to the over thinkers. but to give credit where credit is due ,I very seldom ever have had to take a shot over 200yds. except for funning around. so I am sure there is a reason for a boss system , just not in my world.

Do you use a bench to sight in your rifles wearing optics, or just free hand to get close.

Do you handload to tailor your ammunition for a specific rifle and a specific game, or just get close enough

Do you do anything to make sure your rifles are shooting the best they can, in order to harvest your game as humanely as possible
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by 99guy
I bought a 300 WM in about 94 or 95 and it will shoot absolute bug holes and the recoil is way more tolerable than any standard 300 Win Mag I have ever shot.

Loud as hell but with the 26" barrel it is barely tolerable shooting it in the field. I liked it so much I bought a 280 Rem with a 22" barrel, no problem with accuracy with ear plugs covered by muffs at the range, but the first time I shot it at a deer without hearing protection my left ear rang for 3 days. Still own the 300 and plan on taking it to Africa, the 280 has been gone for 25 years. Replaced by a A-bolt 280 without the BOSS.

The only way to stand the concussion is to be behind them when they are fired. When you are about to touch one off make sure your friends, guides, range mates (especially under roof) etc. are standing behind the boss and not to the left or right or lest you risk the possibility of them socking you in the mouth or square between the eyes.

But But Steve said it doesn't work as a muzzle brake. Yes those MOFO's are loud. I have owned three of them and no longer. I had a Gentry quiet brake on a 300 win mag M70 and it was considerably quieter . One or 2 DB's make a difference .
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
Nope.
Remember them being all the rage long ago.
Never even been around one being fired or know of anyone that has a rifle equipped with one.

Someone had to be buying em around here.
Remember seeing alot of rifles with em at Grandpa,s on 41A long ago.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by 99guy

But But Steve said it doesn't work as a muzzle brake. .
Your reading comprehension skills are in need of a tune up, again.

I never said any such thing.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
You can't admit when you are wrong. Shows the full measure of a Man.

read this little link Karenhttps://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/boss-rifle-accuracy-system.html
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
I have an A Bolt in 270 that I bought in 91. It was the first big game rifle I had ever purchased for myself (versus family hand-me-downs). Since it was pretty much my only centerfire hunting rifle I used it for everything from elk to whistlepigs and I burned the barrel out on it. Years later a friends dad wanted a 25-06 and had a brand new takeoff 270 Boss barrel that he sold me for $25 bucks. My gunsmith installed it and it shot even better than the original barrel.

I have since moved on to other cartridges, but that old A-Bolt really shot extremely well. Probably the only reason I did not use it much is that if you exclude the Boss system, the actual rifled barrel is fairly short, and I live in a part of the Rocky Mountains where shots tend to be long during the seasons I hunt.

That said, part of that is contradictory and I have gone back and forth in my head about the old A-Bolt, since I hunt the majority of the time with a 20" .308.

I have no issue with the Boss system but most of my guns have muzzle brakes and most the time I wear hearing protection when I take a shot at big game.
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
I've got a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .280 REM with the BOSS. The standard BOSS was indeed loud. Even thought about cutting it off, but it seems to be a fairly rare configured rifle. So, just installed the CR (non-ported version). The gun is stupid accurate, especially with Berger 140gr VLD's. Outshoots several custom rifles in the stable.

read this little link Karenhttps://www.browning.com/news/tech-terms/boss-rifle-accuracy-system.html
Ok, I was wrong, now please quote my posts where I said that the BOSS won’t work as a muzzle break.

I’ll wait.

Ok, I was wrong, now please quote my posts where I said that the BOSS won’t work as a muzzle break.

I’ll wait.

Not to rush you or anything, but I’m still waiting for those quotes that prove me wrong.

I have looked for them myself with no luck, as a man of integrity I’m sure you can produce the posts and quotes to back up your claim.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/22/23
AS far as increased noise, that's a fact, however I've killed lots of deer with a 44 Mag. handgun & I always take the time to push in ear plugs or I don't take the shot !!
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
AS far as increased noise, that's a fact, however I've killed lots of deer with a 44 Mag. handgun & I always take the time to push in ear plugs or I don't take the shot !!

It's only loud if you use the ported BOSS, replace that with a CR and the noise is GONE, but the accuracy adjustability remains.
Posted By: EdM Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/23/23

I’ll wait.

Not to rush you or anything, but I’m still waiting for those quotes that prove me wrong.

I have looked for them myself with no luck, as a man of integrity I’m sure you can produce the posts and quotes to back up your claim.

Is it really worth the effort?
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Browning BOSS.. - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by EdM

I’ll wait.

Is it really worth the effort?

Well, being called a liar is a big deal to some.
© 24hourcampfire