Home
Posted By: Bristoe MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/28/23
It's hard to improve on some of the German small arms of WW2, I guess.

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1640858971874512903
Posted By: Jcubed Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/28/23
They use guns in war...weird.

The point?

You were the one claiming Russia wouldn't bring in old tanks...now T-55...and later?
Originally Posted by Jcubed

The point?

You were the one claiming Russia wouldn't bring in old tanks...now T-55...and later?
If I had a choice, the 42 would be on my list to pick from. If I had the ammo of course, that thing gets hungry
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

The point?

If I had a choice, the 42 would be on my list to pick from. If I had the ammo of course, that thing gets hungry

If you have a choice...probably not going to be in war.

Ymmv
Posted By: erickg Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/28/23
I would venture to guess that the machine gun in question is a fairly current production MG3

The point?

The point is, I was surprised to see an MG 42 in Ukraine's small arms arsenal. There's nothing wrong with an MG 42. But their cyclic rate tends to be rough on barrels. It's interesting to see them still in service because it has to mean that barrels are still being manufactured for them.

I wonder if they're still chambered in 8MM Mauser or if they've been rechambered to 7.62X54R.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The point?

The point is, I was surprised to see an MG 42 in Ukraine's small arms arsenal. There's nothing wrong with an MG 42. But their cyclic rate tends to be rough on barrels. It's interesting to see them still in service because it has to mean that barrels are still being manufactured for them.

I wonder if they're still chambered in 8MM Mauser or if they've been rechambered to 7.62X54R.

What about Russian tanks?
Originally Posted by erickg
I would venture to guess that the machine gun in question is a fairly current production MG3

You may be right. I'm not familiar with the MG3. I looked at some pics on Google images and they seem to be a very close reproduction of the MG42.

The point?

What about Russian tanks?

What about 'em?
Appears MG 42 and appears converted to 7.62x51 NATO (308) (?) anybody here been to middle east some NATO countries still use the MG-42 especially German Forces.
There are photos of Maxim guns being used.
And Mosins.

An MG42 is one hell of a step up from that.

Consider the Russian troops marched into battle in WWII.
Their own machine guns to the rear to stop a retreat,
many unarmed. Told to pick up a gun from the dead guys in front of them.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
And Mosins.

Who is using the Maxims and Mosins?
Ukraine
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

The point?

If you have a choice...probably not going to be in war.

Ymmv
Now a days, you are correct. When I was in uniform, I wouldn't have minded the 42.
Posted By: erickg Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/29/23
Originally Posted by erickg

You may be right. I'm not familiar with the MG3. I looked at some pics on Google images and they seem to be a very close reproduction of the MG42.

You are correct, for all intents and purposes the MG3 is just a current production MG42 in 7.62 NATO
Recoil is fairly substantial firing an MG42 offhand like a deer rifle.
Posted By: erickg Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/29/23
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
And Mosins.

Who is using the Maxims and Mosins?

The photos/videos I have seen were of Ukraine soldiers with the Maxim, it had an optic of some sort on it and I've seen one Ukraine sniper with a 91/30
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/29/23
It's a modern MG3. Look at the feed belt and plastic stock. Although not much different than the MG42.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: MG 42 being used in Ukraine - 03/29/23
As stated it’s an MG-3. The MG-42 in one form or another hasn’t been out of production since 1942.
It's hard to improve on some of the German small arms of WW2, I guess.

https://twitter.com/squatsons/status/1640858971874512903

Likely even Mark Felton would be surprised, no mention of the mg42 here

w
I had the opportunity to compete in a German Air Force marksmanship event. We shot the HK G3 in 7.62x51 NATO,Walther P1 9MM, and the MG3 in 7.62x51 NATO. We discussed the MG3's heritage the MG42. The MG3 cycles extremely fast; I could"slip trigger" it but the fewest rounds I could fire in one burst was three. I could get our M60 machine gun to fire single shot by being very careful. The Air Force soldaten told us they had two springs for the MG3 and it was issued with the weaker spring.
© 24hourcampfire