Home
Posted By: papalondog Shop Vac - 04/23/23
In need of a new shop vacuum. Wife only wants the small 2-3 gallon size. I want the durn thing to suck. Power is important. Any opinions on brand?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Have had good luck with Craftsman and Shop Vac.
Posted By: miguel Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
I’ve got a big Craftsman that will suck 16d nails up, but it’s bulky. Got a smaller one from Harbor Freight last year, no complaints so far with it. It’s very powerful too.
Posted By: EdM Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
I have had one of these for years. It has been great for my needs.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kubota...teel-vacuum-cleaner-orange/6000195361357
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Shop Vac is gone.
Bought out and eliminated, can't remember the new brand.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Rigid has been pretty good.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Buy this one for the wife, then go get whatever beast ya want and see which one you use the most.

Milwaukee 0882-20 M18 Lithium Ion Cordless Compact 40 CFM Hand Held Vacuum w/ Hose Attachments and Accessories

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

They really suck and I mean that in a good way..
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Tag
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Rigid
Posted By: ToddNE Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
we have 3 small children and I highly recommend the Milwaukee for all the small messes kids or pets make, I bought it to clean tractor cabs and such but used it once to clean up a mess from the kids now my wife keeps it in the house and I am not allowed to take it
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Menards had a sale on a Porter Cable, I forget how much.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Those little ones work ok for small stuff but the small hoses get clogged if you're cleaning up anything with any size to it. We have both a small one with a 2" hose and one with a 2.5" hose. The little one is good for dust bunnies, ceiling fans, and the like but the big one is much more useful in a shop for wood chips, etc. That extra 1/2" of hose diameter makes a big difference. Both have lots of power. It's the hose diameter that makes the difference.
Both of them are Rigids. We've had them for years and have had zero problems. The filters are easy clean with an air hose but do it down wind of the house.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
I’ve got a 20v Dewalt glorified dust buster, a 1 gallon shop vac, and a 10? Gallon shop vac. They all have their purpose.

My industrial contractor buddies all have Rigid on their job trailers.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Rigid for bigger and more power.
The small battery operated Milwaukees are a great tool. We use ours around the house, back porch, etc more than we do the bigger one. They both have their place.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by rainshot
Rigid has been pretty good.

Ditto
Posted By: Schmidtx2 Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Fein makes the best small vac. I've tried. Well worth the extra money.
Posted By: cclarkblues Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Originally Posted by papalondog
In need of a new shop vacuum. Wife only wants the small 2-3 gallon size. I want the durn thing to suck. Power is important. Any opinions on brand?

Just so we are clear here, you are talking about the vacuum cleaner sucking right?
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Shop Vac - 04/23/23
Fein or Festool.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Shop Vac - 04/24/23
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Shop Vac - 04/24/23
This one is an awesome beast for the shop and cars. Usually goes on sale around Fathers Day

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...Kit-HD1401/308343494#ratings-and-reviews
Posted By: JGray Re: Shop Vac - 04/24/23
I just replaced an older shop vac with a 4.5 Hp Rigid. It 'sucked' great right out of the hose, but as soon as I put on an attachment, it failed miserably. Suction went way down and was worthless on anything but hard/smooth surfaces.

Returned it and bought the 6.5 Hp 'commercial' grade Shop Vac brand but haven't used it yet. Curious as to others experiences...
Posted By: troublesome82 Re: Shop Vac - 04/24/23
I have had great luck with a mid sized Stanley (steel drum) and the big Rigid (Steel drum). For my dust collection (dry vac only) probably not a sound economical choice for the needs here, I have a 25 year old Aramsco (now EdCo iirc). It has been on a myriad of jobsites , mostly concrete, now I use it at work . Those things are beasts and run 3K or more!
© 24hourcampfire