Home
Posted By: travelingman1 Scope shim - 06/07/23
Had a rifle bedded and while it shoots nice little groups, the lowest I can get it is 5 inches above center. My understanding is putting a shim under the front mount should fix this. What is used for the shim? Using Athlon picatinny mounts. Any advice most appreciated, as I have never had to do this. Scope is a VX5 3X15.

Thanks
Posted By: earlybrd Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Black electric tape you can layer it
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
What kind of base?
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
beer can sliver
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Had a rifle bedded and while it shoots nice little groups, the lowest I can get it is 5 inches above center. My understanding is putting a shim under the front mount should fix this. What is used for the shim? Using Athlon picatinny mounts. Any advice most appreciated, as I have never had to do this. Scope is a VX5 3X15.

Thanks

Did it shoot real high before bedding?
Posted By: deer1 Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
If it is shooting too high you need to shim the REAR scope mount. I use several layers of aluminum foil from the kitchen. Deer1
Posted By: rainshot Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Brownell's sells scope shims drilled for the mount holes made out of steel shim stock blackened. you can make shims out of brass or steel shim stock if you have any or can find it.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Originally Posted by deer1
If it is shooting too high you need to shim the REAR scope mount. I use several layers of aluminum foil from the kitchen. Deer1
Sorry, but that's wrong.
Originally Posted by mathman

Thanks

Did it shoot real high before bedding?
That's a great question.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
beer can sliver

Yup, just no AB products. Don’t want to gay it up.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Burris Z rings. Problem solved
Posted By: 1minute Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Yes. Lift the front end of one scope.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Cut up a soda pop can .That works just as well for shims.
Posted By: deer1 Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Bruin, You got me thinking. I think you are right. Sucks being old. Thanks, deer1
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Originally Posted by jnyork
Burris Z rings. Problem solved
Buris Signature Zee rings with plastic inserts. They sell offset inserts which serve as shims, and never mar your scope.

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Optics-Pos-Align-Inserts-Signature/dp/B000GU6NTG?th=1
Posted By: 1beaver_shooter Re: Scope shim - 06/07/23
Get another mount,sounds like you have a mount with some extra mils of elevation built in it.
Originally Posted by deer1
Bruin, You got me thinking. I think you are right. Sucks being old. Thanks, deer1
No worries. I honestly had to think about it myself. I'm not exactly young anymore.
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
thanks guys. Good info. If a beer can, is one layer enough? If I use a diet soda can, will it help lower the weight? (sorry could not resist) And no, it did not shoot high before but there was not a lot of travel left in the dial.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
I don’t think I’ve ever used more than one layer of aluminum can shim.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
Easier ta shim the base, or buy a 20 moa base.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23

Thanks
I don't know if these will work for you.
But they fit under Leopold dual dove tail bases.

They might fit per hole spacing under the picatinny rail.
Or you could slightly mod them if needed
They are .012 IIRC and a Leupold band aid fix per issues I had with with a VX 3I 2.5 -10Γ—40 circa 2017.
Lupy fan boy from 1979 - 2017
Not anymore.....

Last Leupold anything in my house.

Your can have em if you want them.
PM me your mailing address if so.
I'm out whatever a stamp cost..
πŸ₯΄πŸ€£πŸ₯΄
But gain a Leupold product free home.πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Would have never thought of it until this thread.

I can just pop em in a envelope and they will be on their way.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
Shimming a scope in the ring changes the inside diameter and will distort the scope tube. Shim the base, lap the rings, save the scope. Or buy the Burris rings and use the inserts to fix the problem.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
use the burris rings, shim just one base you are bending the scope when tightened.

with the burris the plastic inserts straighten up with the scope and keep you from bending it.
Posted By: Verylargeboots Re: Scope shim - 06/08/23
It almost sounds like you don't have a plane surface to start with. Prior to mounting your scope, did you check for burrs or distortion on the top of the receiver?

It's rare, but I've seen burrs on the screw holes that have prevented a perfect mount before. Though granted, it likely wouldn't have taken the travel out of the optic as you have described.
Posted By: Scotty Re: Scope shim - 06/09/23
I have a Burris Signature ring that I use with one of my scope. You can buy inserts that are shimmed for these rings. It worked good on this gun.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Scope shim - 06/09/23
25 years ago or more, living in the boonies, I filed off Weaver bases a bit on one side and shimmed the other side to compensate for screw holes in the receiver that were out of alignment. Moved the front one way and the back base the opposite. For the shims I used stainless steel injector razor blades with the sharp edge filed off. My intent was to get by until I could fix it right. It shot superb groups with the shimmed scope, so I never got around to fixing it. My son has the rifle now and it still has the same jury rigged bases, and it still shoots tight groups.
© 24hourcampfire